Conquer Club

[GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GC] Choose Which Position (Color) to Join in a Game

Postby holyboy666 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:40 pm

Concise description:
  • Allow for players to choose the colors of their Armies when they enter a game.

Specifics:
  • When a player enters a game, they have to use whatever color, based on what position they enter. With this, they get to choose what color they will use during the game.
  • For each slot in a game, there shall be a "Join Game" link, allowing you to pick whichever color you want.
  • This can possibly be done ahead of time by having players put their color choices in order of preference.
  • However, the order of colors will remain the same. So for quads, it will not be Ex. G+O+Y+C vs R+P+B+S.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Give the option for players to possibly pick their favorite and/or lucky color
  • Will vastly help color blind players.
  • There's always been talk of "select your color" when joining a game
  • This presents a fairer option, to reduce farming by joining directly after a lower rank, who are generally more likely to give games away
  • Color order woulds stay the same (IE, no violet in a 1v1 game)
  • Could also be modified to represent "favorite 2p colors", "favorite 3p colors", etc etc
  • This does not work with team games, as it would screw up teams already joined. It's also easier to join team games as a preferred color at the moment.
  • Probably should not work with polymorphic either, until an expansion comes out to allow more than two players.
  • The same players are in the game, order is essentially "randomized", and you get to play as a preferred color most of the time.
Last edited by JamesKer1 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Updated OP with a little more option.
Sergeant 1st Class holyboy666

Postby hawkeye on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:44 pm

hard to implemenyt in my opinion and wouldnt people fight over colors?
Cook hawkeye

Postby dussle on Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:48 pm

It would be hard to implement, although that would be cool, I don't think its worth Lack wasting his time on.
Sergeant dussle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 am

Maybe instead of having this as an in-game option we could have the choice from 1-6 of the colours we want to be in our settings, it would just be like those ballot papers to fill out.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby bryanbr on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:40 am

dussle wrote:It would be hard to implement, although that would be cool, I don't think its worth Lack wasting his time on.

This would be easy to implement. Click join game and then get a popup asking which color you want.

The color is simply stored as property of your player for that game.
Private bryanbr

Postby Hoff on Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:42 am

I like to be red, so i create my own games so i can be the first to join. Just dont join games when it wont be your color if color is that important to you.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Herakilla on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 am

if this was done then could ppl choose their colors in the oder the join? like when they join there is a question asking which color they want and then the next person will see the same thing minus the colors already chosen.

EDIT: I believe this would be a hassle to implement
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Re: Choose your colour

Postby kevinc on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:14 pm

holyboy666 wrote:Being a boy, I hate it when I am the last person to join a game and I am pink.

Are you seriously worried about your colour being pink? That's the kind of thing an 8 year old gives out about.

EDIT: I just looked at your web site. If you're man enough to boast about choreographing dance moves and liking Molin Rouge, then you should be able to deal with the odd time you're pink in Conquer Club.
Last edited by kevinc on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal kevinc

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:16 pm

This would be easy to implement. Click join game and then get a popup asking which color you want.

No popups. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:15 pm

how about something like:

join first: first color choice

join last: last color pick
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby qeee1 on Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:12 pm

How about this:

Deal with being pink. Let Lack spend his time on more important things.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Evil Semp on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:11 pm

Hey qeee1. How about giving the guy a break. If he thinks its important enough to make a post about it who are you to criticize? If the site is here for everyone's enjoyment maybe this would make his experience here more joyful.

I personally like the idea of choosing your own color, but it doesn't really bother me. I usually am the last to join a game and get the color pink.
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Phobia on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:13 pm

if you really hate being pink...just make sure your not the last person to join a game :roll:
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby D.IsleRealBrown on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:19 pm

Phobia wrote:if you really hate being pink...just make sure your not the last person to join a game :roll:

Seriously, this is the least of my complaints.
ImageImageImage
Lieutenant D.IsleRealBrown

Postby qeee1 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:13 pm

Evil Semp wrote:Hey qeee1. How about giving the guy a break. If he thinks its important enough to make a post about it who are you to criticize? If the site is here for everyone's enjoyment maybe this would make his experience here more joyful.

I'm fucking qeee1, that's who I am! (joke)

Anyway yeah the guy's complaining about what colour he is. I feel entitled to criticize the suggestion as the implementation of such would detract from more important matters, and detract from others possible enjoyment of the site.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Evil Semp on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:00 pm

Maybe he considers considers the implementation of color choice an important matter. You could have expressed you view without being a jerk about it.

Besides I would like to see the choice of colors an option because I keep getting pink, and pink makes my hips look big.
Sergeant 1st Class Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby qeee1 on Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:20 pm

Evil Semp wrote:Maybe he considers considers the implementation of color choice an important matter. You could have expressed you view without being a jerk about it.

And deny my true self? NEVER!

But seriously you gte more strength of feeling in your messages when you're a jerk. Meh, could have been nice I suppose, too late now.
Colonel qeee1

Postby lackattack on Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:55 am

I'm okay in principle with letting you choose a colour on joining, but how to do that without a popup (as Andy said we don't do popups)?

My main motivation is actually to discouraging people from starting games just to be red, so maybe if I just made the starting colour pink, there would be less games on the join page!

How about randomized colours?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby onbekende on Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:00 am

Random is good, i mostly want to be blue, but I rather win then have the best color.
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby zip_disk on Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:18 pm

lackattack wrote:I'm okay in principle with letting you choose a colour on joining, but how to do that without a popup (as Andy said we don't do popups)?

My main motivation is actually to discouraging people from starting games just to be red, so maybe if I just made the starting colour pink, there would be less games on the join page!

How about randomized colours?

Just forward the player to a color selection page. Have it so that you aren't considered joined until a color is selected. Or people who don't select can just have their color randomized from the remaining options. You could use a radio button setup like the start game page and have options removed as slots fill. Could have more than 6 color options too.
Captain zip_disk

Just thinking out aloud...

Postby m@ on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:45 am

Is there any reason colours have to appear the same to all players? You could have an intermediate mapping for each player (colour1 = red, colour2 = blue etc) then everyone can have whatever colour they want... That would solve the main problem I see, which is having four games on the go with a different colour in each can get bloody confusing!
Cadet m@

Postby zip_disk on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:57 am

It would confuse people though. Many people communicate with each other just by color, and if people don't know then everyone will think you're talking to someone else and it'd be a mess.
Captain zip_disk

Postby lackattack on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:26 am

I think a permanent setting setting for preferred colour might be the simplest solution. For people who don't set it or who conflict with someone else in the same game, colours could be assigned randomly :idea:
Sergeant lackattack

Postby gavin_sidhu on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:08 am

could be like a ballot, preference 1: favourite colour, preference 2: second favourite colour and so on. In the event of a tie, roll the dice and see who wins.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby fighter1405 on Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:54 pm

If you are really desperate about choosing your colour you could always play on http://netrisk.byethost22.com as you can choose colour etc there
You just have to accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue
Private 1st Class fighter1405

Next

Return to Suggestions