Conquer Club

[GO] No Dice Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby pascalleke on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:04 pm

:shock:
maybee its time you find yourself another game to play if you dont like playing risk with the dice :lol:
Sergeant pascalleke

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:05 pm

Fun or not, it still doesn't seem like Risk.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Risktaker17 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:20 pm

I guess as an option, I think it takes the Risk part out of Risk though
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby Audax on Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:33 pm

insomniacdude wrote

It just means the variables of luck have an even bigger impact than before: drop, play order, and (if you're playing with them) cards.

How? If you remove one variable, it does not mean other variables suddenly get greater...They still remain the same. The cards are still the same, the drop and the order. They don't suddenly change because dice are not involved.

pascalleke wrote

maybee its time you find yourself another game to play if you dont like playing risk with the dice

Yeah, like risk without dice. Sorry to seem flippant but I really cannot see any real arguement in that statement for or against. Like fruitcake says, the essence of the game is strategy. Luck plays a part. Reduce some of the luck element by removing dice, skill becomes a greater part.

PLAYER57832 wrote

Fun or not, it still doesn't seem like Risk.

That's cool, we are all entitled to an opinion. I think it does. That is my opinion.
Remember to breathe in more times than you breathe out.
Captain Audax

No dice!

Postby God255 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Yeah, that sounds great. Lets have a no dice game option. I'm all for this.
Corporal God255

Postby BaldAdonis on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:33 pm

BaldAdonis wrote:Let's play a game right now. Since you don't need dice, the entire game can be done by writing down your moves, once you know the starting position. You could play by mail! (like Diplomacy, but with fewer rules)

Better yet, head over to forum games, and play there. Then you can figure out your strategies, and it doesn't have to affect anyone who wants to play CC.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:35 pm

I like it :D
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Fruitcake on Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:56 pm

BaldAdonis wrote

Better yet, head over to forum games, and play there. Then you can figure out your strategies, and it doesn't have to affect anyone who wants to play CC.

It is interesting that the voting so far shows those who do want this option are rising as fast as the opposite.

I have had many pms from people who have asked how they can help keep pushing this along.

please remember, we are all members, so we all deserve respect and reasonable levelled discourse.

Lastly, your comment is most odd. To say 'it doesn't have to affect anyone who wants to play CC' is EXACTLY what I am saying....that is why I am putting forward as an option!!! I do not go round all those who do or dont want maps I never play on saying go and play your game elsewhere, that would be conceited, condescending, supercilious, self important and insulting...wouldn't it?

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby pimphawks70 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:05 pm

edit
Last edited by pimphawks70 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier pimphawks70

Postby BaldAdonis on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:08 pm

Fruitcake wrote:Lastly, your comment is most odd. To say 'it doesn't have to affect anyone who wants to play CC' is EXACTLY what I am saying

You're saying you want it to be considered as a game like CC, which is not what I want to see. When I click on your profile and see that you've won x% of games, I don't want those to be no dice games anymore than I want them to be forum mafia or trivia games (or "guess which number I'm thinking of" games), insofar as they give no information about how well you play Risk. If you want to play this no dice style, you can do it just as well by posting your moves in the forum (see Forza AZ's Doodle Earth tournament), because you don't need any of the site's Risk capabilities (since you're not playing Risk anymore).
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Audax on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:38 pm

You're saying you want it to be considered as a game like CC, which is not what I want to see. When I click on your profile and see that you've won x% of games, I don't want those to be no dice games anymore than I want them to be forum mafia or trivia games (or "guess which number I'm thinking of" games), insofar as they give no information about how well you play Risk.

Wow...how arrogant are you man???? (which is not what I want to see....lol)

Since when was fog of war a risk game???? NEVER until CC.

How do you know what I play to check whether you want to play me....oh yes, you look at the page kindly supplied by the site which shows you!!!!

I am stunned at the sheer obstinate attitude of some...here, get this...the world evolves, the world moves, adapts and changes.

What is being asked for is an option, not something you HAVE to do. If this became an option, you would have to do one thing....click the dice box rather than the no dice box. How difficult is that?

Hear hear Fruitcake...anything I can do to drum up support, you have my resources at your disposal.
Remember to breathe in more times than you breathe out.
Captain Audax

Postby General K on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:56 pm

I voted yes... dice sucks most times in here!
Colonel General K

Postby uzless on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:27 pm

the dice are for sure way too streaky.

Anything to take away the blatant streakiness would be appreciated
Sergeant uzless

Postby Risktaker17 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:41 pm

No dice sounds like an awful idea, it takes away at a major essence of Risk. I think it will destroy much of the gameplay. I believe it wouldn't be fun, it would be a waste of time

I voted yes as an option because I know there are others with differing views
Highest place: 40 1/17/08
Highest point total: 2773 1/17/08
Top Poster Position: 97th
Captain Risktaker17

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:28 pm

Umm... I believe this has been suggested before, and I supported it. this thread has more momentum, so of corse I'll support it again :D
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby BaldAdonis on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:03 am

Audax wrote:Since when was fog of war a risk game???? NEVER until CC.
Fog of War is used in a lot of Risk games where the capability exists. Every Hasbro computer version has it, and it's not a (drastically) different game, you just lose some information.
How do you know what I play to check whether you want to play me....oh yes, you look at the page kindly supplied by the site which shows you!!!!
My point is about the records of the games. Since this is an entirely different game (not a probabalistic game, but a solvable game), the records should not be combined with your record on real games. The page doesn't sort game types, so it would not be useful.
What is being asked for is an option, not something you HAVE to do. If this became an option, you would have to do one thing....click the dice box rather than the no dice box. How difficult is that?

Hear hear Fruitcake...anything I can do to drum up support, you have my resources at your disposal.
If you actually want to help, why not do something to address the issues against it, instead of shrugging them off as obstinate? You can already play games exactly like this on this site in a place designed for it. It's called Forum Games. Just make a thread, post your map, and make your moves. You don't need any additional support to do it, and you get the added bonus of being able to use new maps before they're quenched.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:09 pm

This would be a great option, and a greater challenge.
Voted yes :D
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby Fruitcake on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote

This would be a great option

And that is the nub of the matter.

I would never try to deny anyone what they wanted to do, I always try to keep an open mind. This is just an option I have put forward.

So far, it seems many have agreed.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Paddy The Cat on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:56 pm

of course, i have to say no-risk is ALL about the dice, they make it fun, sure losing 10 on 2 sucks, but the thrill of winning 50 on 45 and still having 30 left is awesome

if your looking for a game that is 100 percent strategy, this is not the game for you, go play chess
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

Postby TheTheft on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:06 pm

since it is optional i say yes if you want to play a diceless game then you can if you want to play the old fashioned way then you can
Private TheTheft

Postby BaldAdonis on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:23 pm

Fruitcake wrote:So far, it seems many have agreed.
And you're still not addressing any of the issues of people who disagree. That is, me. Suggestions don't go through just because they get 51% of votes.

TheTheft wrote:since it is optional i say yes if you want to play a diceless game then you can if you want to play the old fashioned way then you can

If you want to play no dice, you already can. Make up a game and post your moves. You don't need any dice, so you don't need an actual game. Making it an option only makes the stats that are meant to indicate a player's skill more meaningless. Imagine a game option where you can win 100% of the games where you have a better drop (as well as a portion of the ones where you don't, since not everyone plays optimally), and you'd never have to think about the moves. You could write a script to win games for you while you sleep. It wouldn't take much work to solve this game type on a map like Doodle Earth, where there are only 17 million starting positions (in a 2 player game), and only one system of moves. Throw in a script that automakes speed games and you'd be set.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Fruitcake on Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:04 am

BaldAdonis wrote

And you're still not addressing any of the issues of people who disagree. That is, me. Suggestions don't go through just because they get 51% of votes.

Goodness..that is a pretty subjective statement....the words 'that is me' kinda cut you out as someone who really has problems here. I have addressed many issues. Some by pm, some on this board. Your writing is starting to sound like the strident harpie stamping her feet because she is not getting her way....notwithstanding the way you are so strident in tone I have this to say.

You keep mentioning standard moves etc etc...do you ever play mulit player, if so, how can you keep shouting about standard moves, programs etc etc...

Not 51% but 56% (as at time of writing, obviously the yes camp is growing) reckon this would be good. Your statement about 100% this, drop that, scripts etc is truly disturbing. Furthermore, your quote above has a ring of someone who would not accept the vote of the majority ever...if it disagreed with your version of the world....odd really. Yet you demand I pay your questions attention...

I have already said. I play this a great deal all ready. I must be the most stupid man around, obviously nowhere near your intellectual level, because I have never managed to work all this out after 25 years+ of playing non dice games.

Colonel Fruitcake

Postby The dudley on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:14 am

I have just joined cc what a great place. love playin no dice games. i'm with you mr fruitcake great idea for a great place
New Recruit The dudley

Postby Paddy The Cat on Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:30 am

i think were missing the point here-yes it sounds great to remove luck from the game because then youll win games based on skill only blah blah blah....

you know what the problem is? YOU CANT ELIMINATE LUCK FROM THE GAME... this only puts even more emphasis on drop-whoever starts in best position to take a bonus would inevitably win almost every game... and what about the better players on the site... STALEMATE... games that would, in the most literal sense, never end... not to mention many strategies are based on probability and better odds...

its not a good idea, really-it sounds nice and fair, but it causes too many problems-im sure the inventors of risk considered this when making the game... it just doesnt work..
Sergeant 1st Class Paddy The Cat

Postby BaldAdonis on Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:32 pm

Fruitcake wrote:BaldAdonis wrote

Goodness..that is a pretty subjective statement....the words 'that is me' kinda cut you out as someone who really has problems here. I have addressed many issues. Some by pm, some on this board. Your writing is starting to sound like the strident harpie stamping her feet because she is not getting her way....notwithstanding the way you are so strident in tone I have this to say.

You keep mentioning standard moves etc etc...do you ever play mulit player, if so, how can you keep shouting about standard moves, programs etc etc...

Not 51% but 56% (as at time of writing, obviously the yes camp is growing) reckon this would be good. Your statement about 100% this, drop that, scripts etc is truly disturbing. Furthermore, your quote above has a ring of someone who would not accept the vote of the majority ever...if it disagreed with your version of the world....odd really. Yet you demand I pay your questions attention...

I have already said. I play this a great deal all ready. I must be the most stupid man around, obviously nowhere near your intellectual level, because I have never managed to work all this out after 25 years+ of playing non dice games.

Have a look at this proposal. My point about 51% (or 56% if you wish) is that even though you have a majority of votes, before something that radically changes the game gets implemented, it goes through a process to modify it and answer problems that people address. You're not helping your cause by ignoring these issues when people bring them up. So, could you just answer my questions, and keep your personal attacks in flame wars?
Captain BaldAdonis

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions