Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Indian Subcontinent

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:25 pm

Unit_2 wrote:i didn't say that you did...i'm just showing you that you can do better...

Don't worry, I intend on improving it :wink:
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby oaktown on Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:17 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:if you're going for geographical accuracy, im all for it, but a river running thru a territory is kinda weird, especially the way it looks now. clean it up a little?

I think InkL has the right idea in putting the army circle on the river in such a way that it can't be confused as two territories... it can work.
Captain oaktown

Postby MrBenn on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:05 am

The changes you're making are definately in a positive direction.

I'm still not keep on the brown land texture. Could you try something similar to the ocean texture, but in brown??
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:22 pm

MrBenn wrote:The changes you're making are definately in a positive direction.

I'm still not keep on the brown land texture. Could you try something similar to the ocean texture, but in brown??

I'm planning on doing something like that.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Re: Indian Subcontinent[Version 3, pages 1+2]

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Version 4:

Changes:
-Did the same thing to the mountain texture that I did to the water.
-Emboldened the borders
-Reduced opacity of army circles
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Coleman on Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:59 pm

I suspect that may be suffering some jpg compression issues so I won't complain about the blurriness.

I will complain about the legend. Is that bright textured box really necessary? Do those words and the impassible show up poorly on the normal background?
Sergeant Coleman

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Coleman wrote:I suspect that may be suffering some jpg compression issues so I won't complain about the blurriness.

I will complain about the legend. Is that bright textured box really necessary? Do those words and the impassible show up poorly on the normal background?

Good catch, they are indeed jpegs. Should I be converting to a different format from psd?

I don't know why I thought the box was necessary, I'll remove it.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Coleman on Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:09 pm

png usually works well. There is better then that but then the files are too big to upload.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:23 am

#1. Split up the larger territories
#2 Move some of the Central India territories to other continents and lower the central india bonus to <8
#3 Eastern india should have a bonus of at least +2
Sergeant 1st Class Emperor_Metalman

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:28 am

Emperor_Metalman wrote:#1. Split up the larger territories
#2 Move some of the Central India territories to other continents and lower the central india bonus to <8
#3 Eastern india should have a bonus of at least +2

1) Maybe. Right now there are 32 territories, a fine number. If I can find a way to get it up to 36, I'll probably do that.

2) I don't see a nice way to do that. Adding Nepal as a continent was a start. Any suggestions?

3) I disagree. It has one border territory, and it borders Nepal, a hold-able continent.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby iancanton on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:00 pm

InkL0sed wrote:now there are 32 territories, a fine number. If I can find a way to get it up to 36, I'll probably do that.

bangladesh splits neatly into four real (not made-up) states: khulna west of the river, rajshahi in the north-east, chittagong in the south-east and dhaka in the central east, straddiling the river.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/bangladesh/b ... l-map.html

if u feel that the area is too crowded (it's supposed to be crowded because it has a huge population), then i suggest that u draw a large version of bangladesh in a box, in the bottom right corner, with dashed lines to the main map.

we're seeing nothing on the map just now that gives any importance to bangladesh, so it'll be good if u redress the balance a bit by doing this.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:36 pm

iancanton wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:now there are 32 territories, a fine number. If I can find a way to get it up to 36, I'll probably do that.

bangladesh splits neatly into four real (not made-up) states: khulna west of the river, rajshahi in the north-east, chittagong in the south-east and dhaka in the central east, straddiling the river.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/bangladesh/b ... l-map.html

if u feel that the area is too crowded (it's supposed to be crowded because it has a huge population), then i suggest that u draw a large version of bangladesh in a box, in the bottom right corner, with dashed lines to the main map.

we're seeing nothing on the map just now that gives any importance to bangladesh, so it'll be good if u redress the balance a bit by doing this.

I'm not crazy about that idea – I'm trying to keep the map clean – but if others agree with you, I'll see what I can do.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby fumandomuerte on Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:12 pm

Coleman wrote:png usually works well. There is better then that but then the files are too big to upload.

When you work with only vectors and no raster layers, PNG save small files with a great quality...

I don't think that the use of JPG compression is the indicated for this map.

Keep the hard working
:wink: .
Thanks to the CC staff for the perma-ban on ۩░▒▓₪№™℮₪▓▒░۩!
Captain fumandomuerte

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Version 5:

Changes:
-Image is now a png
-Dulled the yellow of Southern India
-Removed box of legend
-Upped opacity of army circles a tad
-Fixed a few minor things (like the little white line in the border by Baluchistan seen in previous versions)
-Changed positions of some army circles and labels.

Do West Bengal and Bangladesh look better in this version?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:17 pm

A question for the mods:

What will it take for this map to get [Adv Idea] attached? From the criteria I see in the How Maps Progress Through the Foundry thread, it seems like I should get it.

If you put up a good enough draft and show your willingness to work through the process [Advanced Idea] will be added to the end of your post so other users know you have a real map running.

Is this draft not good enough? If so, what do I need to fix?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Coleman on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:24 pm

Yeah, it'll take me not being dumb and slow.

The legend still isn't quite legible. I don't have any good suggestions to fix that though. :?
Sergeant Coleman

Postby InkL0sed on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:18 pm

Coleman wrote:Yeah, it'll take me not being dumb and slow.

The legend still isn't quite legible. I don't have any good suggestions to fix that though. :?

I can make it larger, maybe change the font?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:28 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
Coleman wrote:Yeah, it'll take me not being dumb and slow.

I can make it larger, maybe change the font?

definitely, especially if you're leaving that upper right corner empty, you can make it fit in there
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby edbeard on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:57 am

Your borders are different sizes in different places. It's a shitty thing to have to redo them, but it's very worthwhile (probably necessary).

The non-playable land just isn't good at the moment. The colour is fine, but the texture is not good. Also, I don't like the effect of it being higher than the playable land.

Aren't there mountains in Nepal and the northern part of india?

Try to increase the size of your text to make it more readable. Also, maybe add glow to the territory labels so when they cross over a border, they don't become illegible.

Make that legend colour coordinated so people know which area is which. (maybe a mini-map to help the colourblind?)
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:02 pm

edbeard wrote:Your borders are different sizes in different places. It's a shitty thing to have to redo them, but it's very worthwhile (probably necessary).

You're right, I really need to get the borders right already...

The non-playable land just isn't good at the moment. The colour is fine, but the texture is not good. Also, I don't like the effect of it being higher than the playable land.

I'll try to change the texture. I'm using Photoshop 7.0, so I don't have too many options. I can get to CS3 via my mom's computer though, which is probably what I'll end up doing.

Also, I like that it looks higher, as most of it is actually mountains. But if others say they don't like it either, I'll go along with it.

Aren't there mountains in Nepal and the northern part of india?

Nepal is in the mountains. I decided to ignore that little fact. Are you saying I should put them in? Why?

Try to increase the size of your text to make it more readable. Also, maybe add glow to the territory labels so when they cross over a border, they don't become illegible.

I've already increased the legend size, I think it looks quite legible now. The glow to the text is a good idea; I'll do it if I can figure out how (or someone tells me... hint hint :wink:)

Make that legend colour coordinated so people know which area is which. (maybe a mini-map to help the colourblind?)

Color-coordination, for some odd reason, had not occurred to me. The mini-map has, however. I have one handy already. I'll do one or both on the next update.

Thanks edbeard, that was very helpful.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby iancanton on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:06 am

InkL0sed wrote:
iancanton wrote:bangladesh splits neatly into four real (not made-up) states: khulna west of the river, rajshahi in the north-east, chittagong in the south-east and dhaka in the central east, straddiling the river.

I'm not crazy about that idea – I'm trying to keep the map clean – but if others agree with you, I'll see what I can do.

i presume u're saying that u don't want to use an inset map, which i understand: point accepted.

bangladesh, bhutan, nepal and sri lanka are independent countries recognised by the united nations. they do not belong to any part of india. equally, delhi (which ought to be called uttarakhand), uttar pradesh and bihar are part of india and do not belong to nepal. people are liable to become very upset if u start giving away bits, or even all, of their countries (see europe map discussion!).

we can solve this by renaming the "nepal" continent as "minor powers" (or, if u prefer, "independent states"), consisting of nepal, bhutan, bangladesh and sri lanka. because none of these countries border each other, i suggest a bonus of +1 for holding any three of the minor powers and a total of +4 for holding all of them.

join east and west nepal into one territory, since such a division does not exist. if we need an additional territory, then split himachal into two territories, called himachal pradesh and indian punjab. indian punjab borders pakistani punjab (which is "punjab" on our map), himachal pradesh, haryana, rajasthan and jammu and kashmir (which is "kashmir" on our map). make jammu and kashmir part of both the northern india and pakistan bonus, as both countries claim kashmir as their own.

the revised northern india will be himachal pradesh, indian punjab, uttarakhand, uttar pradesh, haryana and the disputed territory of jammu and kashmir.

http://www.mapsofindia.com/northern-india-map.html

eastern india can then be orissa, jharkhand, bihar, west bengal and assam (plus maybe chhattisgarh, depending on gameplay).

http://www.mapsofindia.com/maps/east/east.htm

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby snufkin on Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:31 pm

or you can just call the blue continent "northern himalaya" or something..

and most of nepal and half of pakistan and bhutan is outside the indian tectonic plate so technically not even in the indian subcontinent..

I don´t think you should sweat it too much.. it just gets ridiculous really fast if you want to be 100% untouchable (excuse the really bad pun! sry)
The comet cometh!
Sergeant 1st Class snufkin

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:05 pm

Alright guys, I got a lot to think about, and a lot to do.

Next update won't be soon because of that, but expect a lot of changes.

Rest assured I'm still working on this.

EDIT: Also, I agree that Nepal is not a good name for that continent. If everything else remained the same, what would be the best name for it?

I'm thinking either Ganges, Himalayas, or Northern India (which would probably make what I'm calling Northern India right now something like Jammu and Kasmir or Disputed Territories. Which I don't like so much because it includes more than that, but it's not the end of the world).
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:14 pm

OK, looks like I'm eating my own words with this update.

Anyway, here it is:
Changes:
-Changed font color, to contrast with the borders
-Increased font size by 1 point
-Changed Southern India's color to a shade of blue because the font became illegible there
-Redrew borders
-Changed out-of-play area again. This time I added another layer with the same texture as the water, and also a crayon-texture, and then made all three textures opaque. I rather like this blend.
-Color-coded legend
-Added a mini-map
-Added Haryana into Himalayas for better gameplay.
-Bonuses changed because of this

Questions:
-What do you think of the colors? Also, why are they duller than they look on my desktop (even in png format)?
-Are the borders improved? Do you like the line for the coast?
-Is a connecting line between Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadul necessary?
-Thoughts on bonuses (specifically East India and Central India)?
-What should I name the purple continent (what is now Himalaya and what was Nepal in previous versions)?
-Is it clear that West Bengal is a single territory?
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:22 pm

Well, this map is slowly falling down on the Ideas page, due to the lack of comments.

Rather than a bump, I have a new version:

Version 7:

Changes:
-Fixed pixelation in the borders between the mountains/non-playing area and the map itself.
-Army circles get a texture, and reduced opacity
-Other minor tidy-upping

No comments of my own. You guys make them. :)
Lieutenant InkL0sed

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box