Conquer Club

Oasis [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Oasis [Quenched]

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:58 pm

STAMPS:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Graphics by wcaclimbing
XML shared by zimmah and wcaclimbing

XML DONE

Large:
Click image to enlarge.

Small:
Neutrals:

---------------------------

Previous Updates:
V7.0[clicky]
V6.0[clicky]
V5.0 [clicky]
V4.0 [clicky]
V3.5 [clicky]
V3.0 [clicky]
V2.5 [clicky]
V2.0 [clicky]
Original Image [clicky]

Story:
-It is a fertile land split by a desert. rumor has it that there is a vast treasure in the center of the desert, hidden in the Grand Oasis. All of the tribes living in the fertile land rush to capture the Grand Oasis, each wanting to claim the treasure. If you control the entire Grand Oasis for a turn, you win the game.

Setup:
-All of the fertile land is split between the players.
-Each of the desert areas (tan) will have neutrals on them. 1s and 2s around the edges, 3s and 4s as you get closer to the Grand Oasis.
-Each small oasis will have 3 or 5 neutrals, depending on how important that oasis is.
-Each section of the Grand Oasis will have 6 neutral armies on it.

Bonuses:

-Each desert territory has a -1 decay (cause your soldiers might die from the heat/dehydration.)
-Each small oasis will give a +3.
-Each area of the grand oasis has a -3 decay (the treasure is booby trapped.)

This is a strategy map. Lots of possible strategies to win (rush to the Grand Oasis, Kill the people in the fertile land, take all the small oases, etc.). It will be a good challenge to play, and it will make for a very fast paced game with everyone fighting over the very limited resources, and then the final war for the Grand Oasis.

All suggestions are welcome.
Last edited by wcaclimbing on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 102 times in total.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:08 pm

I like the start. Like I said in the map ideas thread, it needs more territories (way more), but it can (and will, I hope) work.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Re: Oasis----concept map.

Postby zimmah on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 pm

what if you made 8 nomad camps with autodeploy or a bonus for having them as a starting location, with a one-way attack towards the desert (so players will not be able to kill each other, just go for the objective)
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I agree it needs more. The oasises(sp?) need to be like check points that help you cross the map.

Looks great though!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby militant on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I really like it, the gfraphics are awesome for a first draft, i like the idea of the map, although as InkL0sed said it needs more territories.
Guys I am intentionally lurking. Discuss; Play mafia, it is good.
Oderint Dum Metuant says: Don't confuse the easily confused!
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:18 pm

militant wrote:I really like it, the gfraphics are awesome for a first draft, i like the idea of the map, although as InkL0sed said it needs more territories.

The players start on the side, where it's green.

zimmah wrote:what if you made 8 nomad camps with autodeploy or a bonus for having them as a starting location, with a one-way attack towards the desert (so players will not be able to kill each other, just go for the objective)

I just had a cool idea :idea: What if there were 16 possible starting areas, all only able to one-way attack the desert? That way this could be the only map where you have to win by getting the objective, since you could never get the original starting point.

Things would have to be adjusted, of course; The Grand Oasis would need many more neutrals (probably more territories too), for one.
Last edited by InkL0sed on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby benny profane on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:18 pm

i agree....more territories.
the texture for the green territories is great, you should keep it.
i would just make the sand look more like there are dunes....
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby zimmah on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:49 pm

InkL0sed wrote:
militant wrote:I really like it, the gfraphics are awesome for a first draft, i like the idea of the map, although as InkL0sed said it needs more territories.

zimmah wrote:what if you made 8 nomad camps with autodeploy or a bonus for having them as a starting location, with a one-way attack towards the desert (so players will not be able to kill each other, just go for the objective)

I just had a cool idea :idea: What if there were 16 possible starting areas, all only able to one-way attack the desert? That way this could be the only map where you have to win by getting the objective, since you could never get the original starting point.

Things would have to be adjusted, of course; The Grand Oasis would need many more neutrals (probably more territories too), for one.

yes, that's about what i ment :D
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:43 pm

finish faster I want to play
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby lozzini on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:47 pm

i think its a great idea, but i dont think you should pack too many territories in but more are needed, just dont cramp the map
Top Rank: Captain
Top Score: 1835
Top Pos: 1707
Nothing ventured... nothing gained
Sergeant 1st Class lozzini

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:51 pm

InkL0sed wrote:

I'm not liking fixed starting points, think it'd be a lot more fun just to have random place ment like any other map on all the outer territories(green) so you've got to unite your force and move into the desrt. One way attack doesn't make a lot of sense either, you could easily attack out of a desert, perhaps you can't attack out from the grand oasis or something, but the concept is solid as is
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:53 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I just had a cool idea :idea: What if there were 16 possible starting areas, all only able to one-way attack the desert? That way this could be the only map where you have to win by getting the objective, since you could never get the original starting point.

The idea of forcing the objective just doesn't seem to work well for me.
For a couple of reasons:
1. I want to leave the option of killing your opponents open. Since it should be kinda like tribes fighting over a treasure, the option would have to be there to be able to kill your opponent's tribes, like in real life. Cause in a real battle, if you kill all of your opponents, you get the treasure anyway, cause everyone else is dead.
2. I want to give people as much freedom as possible on this map to choose their own strategies. Forcing starting positions really limits the amount of options you have. Lots of possibilities means you face new challenges every time you play. :D

sfhbballnut wrote:finish faster I want to play

:roll: Ill go as fast as I can :wink:

So on my next update, I will be including:
more countries.
more oases.

Postby whitestazn88 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:01 pm

its a pretty sweet idea, but i think that maybe there should be more neutrals as you get closer to the center, because yeah, its just sand, but it gets harder and harder to walk in it as you get more dehydrated etc.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby a-person1192 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:25 pm

sounds like a great idea and should be continued. you should make certain fixed starting positions for the players and have the rest neutrals.
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
Cook a-person1192

Postby baggins994 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:27 pm

i like it, but at the time, it seems like it would be way too difficult to win
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -- George Orwell
linkspot.weebly.com
^^ Go Here!!! Plz!!^^
Highest Rank/Score: Sergeant 1430
Private baggins994

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:28 pm

the whole fixed starting position thing is getting old, the Age of Realms Trilogy, Feudal Wars etc, this is a fresh idea that I'd prefer not to see fall to conformity

*edit* no offense to those maps they're great I play them a lot*
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby gimil on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:15 am

sfhbballnut wrote:the whole fixed starting position thing is getting old, the Age of Realms Trilogy, Feudal Wars etc, this is a fresh idea that I'd prefer not to see fall to conformity

*edit* no offense to those maps they're great I play them a lot*

These ideas are jsut a new phase on map making which are popular with the players, eventually thou something new will come along once the conquest idea era is over.

Just a thought wcaclimbing but to get a good conquest map you must put much more thought that a clasic map into it :) balancing the game play or each starting point should be your main objective after you have your layout.

As for the idea, I love it :) THe desert decay idea is excellent and different. To me its a mix of dustbowl and feudal :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby a-person1192 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:31 am

maybe a little blue for water near the Oasis would be good visually and could act as an impassable
If I was lying wouldn't my pants be on fire?
Cook a-person1192

Postby edbeard on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:35 am

Maybe this is me over thinking but 24 or 25 territories to start seems like a good number. And, this is quite possible with the current setup you have. I believe there are 19 fertile territories at the moment.

25 allows 3 starting places for 7,8 players, 4 for 6 players, 5 for 5 players etc..

It's good to see an objective map going. My current map is objective oriented and my next one will be objective only winning.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby snapdoodle on Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:59 am

More fantasy.

(if you want I have no idea but i think an ali baba and the forty thieves map would be awesome, not sure if that's what you're going for?)

Cause then you could add like magic carpets and djinns and a flaming scareb of death.

But great start overall.
Captain snapdoodle

Postby bryguy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:24 am

i like the ali baba and the forty thieves thing that snap suggested 8)

and also, doesnt an oasis need water????
Corporal bryguy

Postby Erdem559 on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:12 am

I think the Decay should double or triple
Corporal 1st Class Erdem559

Postby InkL0sed on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:41 am

bryguy wrote:i like the ali baba and the forty thieves thing that snap suggested 8)

and also, doesnt an oasis need water????

They get fed by underground rivers.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby benny profane on Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 am

i'm not into the fixed starting points.
doesn't seem to have anything to do with the idea...
in AoM it makes sense, but on this map it would feel like a gimmick.
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:50 am

whitestazn88 wrote:its a pretty sweet idea, but i think that maybe there should be more neutrals as you get closer to the center, because yeah, its just sand, but it gets harder and harder to walk in it as you get more dehydrated etc.

That is an amazing idea.

edbeard wrote:Maybe this is me over thinking but 24 or 25 territories to start seems like a good number. And, this is quite possible with the current setup you have. I believe there are 19 fertile territories at the moment.

from what my new version is looking like at the moment, i'm thinking it will be just about 30 countries in the fertile land.

players.......starting terrs.

that seems to be pretty good. its similar to 25, just a few extras added in for some numbers.

edit: so... after working on the image some more, I don't think there will be 25 countries in Fertile, or even 30. it will probably be closer to 35 or 40. not that big of a deal, but its still quite a bit more than 25.
snapdoodle wrote:(if you want I have no idea but i think an ali baba and the forty thieves map would be awesome, not sure if that's what you're going for?)

Cause then you could add like magic carpets and djinns and a flaming scareb of death.

no.

Erdem559 wrote:I think the Decay should double or triple

how would that work? change it from 1 to 3? have it increase each round (which isnt possible).
If the decay was set at 3 for the desert territories, you wouldn't be able to go anywhere cause all of your armies would be eaten by the decay every turn. anything you deploy would be gone next turn.

everyone wrote:oases need water

yes. I know oases can have water. some of them will have water.

--- I might be posting a sneak-peak of the next update whenever I get around to it. its looking pretty cool.
Last edited by wcaclimbing on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to The Atlas