Conquer Club

[GO] Speed Games / Varying Turn Time Limits Round Lengths

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Kemmler on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:25 am

Yeah, sounds brilliant. May even shoehorn me into a premium, IF the server speeds up too.
Cook Kemmler

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:52 am

1 minute would be rather dicey for a guy on dial-up. I'd suggest a 2 minute minimum to allow for network latency. The idea, definite thumbs-up. Speed chess-style, just applied to CC.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Top Dog on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Don't think so! Not for me anyways... 5 min. isn't always enough!
High Score: 1384 w/ 42% games won
Private 1st Class Top Dog

Postby darth emperor on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:27 pm

...but the problems will be on large maps like world 2.1....
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby herndawg on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:01 pm

Top Dog wrote:Don't think so! Not for me anyways... 5 min. isn't always enough!

True, but you don't HAVE to play the smaller time limit. Just like I don't play the freestyle right now.
Captain herndawg

Postby herndawg on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:06 pm

darth emperor wrote:...but the problems will be on large maps like world 2.1....

The 5 minute speed game would still be there.
Captain herndawg

Postby herndawg on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 pm

TaCktiX wrote:1 minute would be rather dicey for a guy on dial-up. I'd suggest a 2 minute minimum to allow for network latency. The idea, definite thumbs-up. Speed chess-style, just applied to CC.

Didn't think of dial up. Good point. What would be the coolest if when you create a game you could choose Speed Game and then Minutes allowed
The only thing changing is the minutes per turn, still same refresh and everything.

Imagine a Freestyle Classic with like 5 or 6 people, much less of the waiting at the end for last minute attacks, it would be crazy. Yes maybe not as much time for strategy but it would really be intense.
Captain herndawg

Postby spiesr on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:52 am

This has been suggest before and rejected.
Captain spiesr

Postby lord voldemort on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 am

please check the sticky at top of page b4 posting
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby PoizZz on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:05 am

lol sry :( why the hell would this good idea be rejected ohwell, this can be locked then
Cook PoizZz

Postby greenoaks on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 am

how could you have just started when it says you joined July 2006 ???
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby PoizZz on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:25 am

I already had an account, but i didnt knew how to join a game and stuff, so i quit, but now i found out a friend of my plays and he told me how to play :P
Cook PoizZz

Postby dazrazmataz on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:51 am

OK, my main reasoning for this is to give people options and if they are about to go on holiday, they can go for the longer game lengths.

Just because a move length is set to a week, doesn't mean people have to wait a week to move!!!

12 hours has been rejected I see, and the reason is "people have lives"!

Just because the option is there doesn't mean people HAVE to use it, just choose it if they wish.
Captain dazrazmataz

Postby greenoaks on Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:03 am

if they are about to go on holiday they should not be joining games.

how about turns of 1441 minutes for those who find 24 hours is not long enough. :D
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby insomniacdude on Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:09 pm

I would be very much in favor of a 36 or 48 hours option. I wouldn't use it, but I can think of some people who would. It's not like it detracts from the gameplay, and it can only help draw in new members that might not join otherwise because of their potentially cumbersome schedules.

Everything else is really unnecessary. Anything under 24 hours is...bad, except, obviously, speed game lengths. 10 minutes there wouldn't hurt either (I love W2.1, but don't play it in Speed Games because I know the time will f*ck me over), but I'm fine with five minutes too. 48 hours is about as high as I'd push it though. If you need 3 days to take a turn, you have more important things to take care of than a risk website.
Cadet insomniacdude

5 minute limit on speed games.

Postby devilsnyankees on Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:30 am

i wish for CC to make it so that you can setup your speed game to be between 1 and 5 minutes. so many people i talk to think that waiting 5 minutes is still a long time to wait. a 5 minute sequential game can last hours.
Cadet devilsnyankees

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:54 am

5 minutes is probably going to be the standard-low, any less and it actually makes the game harder and longer, since less and less can be done in a turn.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby CryWolf on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 am

I think the 5minutes in the beginning are needed so that everyone has time to realize that the game has begun. However, subsequent turns could take less. I'm kind of in the middle on this because the more time variants you have, the more chance that people will not join a particular game because they differ on opinions of how long a turn should take.
Lieutenant CryWolf

5 Minute

Postby ChunkMan on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:39 pm

I agree it would be nice to have a choice on the round length. Maybe force 5 minutes on the first round then in the game setup choose a shorter length...1 to 5 minutes.
Sergeant 1st Class ChunkMan

Postby Herakilla on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:04 pm

good luck taking your turn in one minute on a map like world 2.1

or on ANY map if its freestyle...
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby KoE_Sirius on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:07 pm

Freestyle no card AoR Magic,
I can travel all round the magic map in 1 min and 17 seconds...Can we have a 1,17 timer then?
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby Shino Tenshi on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:14 pm

To Andy and Herakiller:

Have either one of you ever played a freestyle speed game before, particularly with escalating cards?

If one such game were to last 20 rounds, I can guarantee you that at least 16 of those rounds would have at least 3 minutes, likely 4 minutes, burned off by 3/4's of the people sitting there and waiting for everyone else. I swear that most 4 player sequential games with active people in them go as fast as any freestyle game.

I think you two are the first people I've ever seen who've said that 5 minutes is a minimum. Absolutely everyone I've ever played with who's made a comment one way or the other have said that 5 minutes is an absurdly long time.

Any time I've ever seen someone actually need 5 minutes to take their turn, it's because they've eliminated someone and are continuing with their turn, which has already been dealt with by adding 2 1/2 minutes to the clock whenever someone is eliminated.

I don't know what the best way to fix the problem is, but it really, really needs to get fixed. It's insanely boring sitting there for 4 minutes out of any given round, waiting for the round to start.

The only three solutions that I've come up with myself are:

1) Variable clock settings (though I would agree a 1 minute clock would be pushing it, 2 minutes would do fine in most cases)

2) Installing a button for everyone to press if they're intending to sit there, and then have the clock drop to 1 minute after everyone pushes it. A 15 second warning would probably be good if such a thing were installed.

3) Dropping the clock to 1 minute if nobody does anything within 30 seconds.

I think the variable clock settings is the best option though. I would also think that 5 minutes for the first round would be best as well, so that no one misses a turn.

I don't know if there's any better solutions, but something's really gotta be done about the 5 minute turns. Most of the turns, by far, just drag out endlessly.
Captain Shino Tenshi

Postby Herakilla on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:21 pm

yes i have played speed freestyle and yes there are people who wait for others, but thats smart playing i have come to find out.

1) variable clock settings will be a disaster as players sign up for speed games but find out they have way less time than they think they do

2)the button will not work, if you press it and wait for 2 mins you may feel inclined to leave for a min since theres three mins left and clearly no1 is doing anything but then that last player decides to press it, yuou come back a min later @#$%@# i missed a turn?! BULL

3)terrible idea, if all the players spend their first 30 secs planning (like me) then all of a sudden the clock drops to a min and no1 wanted it

and the most important reason of all to keep 5 min turns and no variation whatsoever is internet problems people will immediatly think it is the site's issue and not their connection which will lead to many coming in here and demanding their games be deleted which they cant be except in extreme cases where it actually is the site's issue. think about it... if your internet blips for even 3 mins you miss 3 turns and get kicked...

all in all there is no good reason to have any of those settings, im sorry
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:43 pm

5 minutes will most likely always be the minimum for a turn setting, I don't think there is a way getting around that.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:59 pm

I actually think that once you begin your turn, the length should be extended to 7 or 8 minutes. At least in Sequential games.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions