Conquer Club

Easter Rising - Ireland [Cancelled]

Tournaments that are no longer happening

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Easter Rising - Ireland [Cancelled]

Postby gdeangel on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:54 pm

I have called off this tournament due to lack of interest. Not enough people have signed up as of today, so it will not go forward to the challenge phase. Thank you all who did sign up for your interest.

In the Spirit of St. Patrick's day, we should properly set the tone with an Irish classic:

traditional wrote:As down the glen one Easter morn to a city fair rode I
There Armed lines of marching men in squadrons passed me by
No fife did hum nor battle drum did sound it's dread tatoo
But the Angelus bell o'er the Liffey swell rang out through the foggy dew

Right proudly high over Dublin Town they hung out the flag of war
'Twas better to die 'neath an Irish sky than at Sulva or Sud El Bar
And from the plains of Royal Meath strong men came hurrying through
While Britannia's Huns, with their long range guns sailed in through the foggy dew

But the bravest fell, and the requiem bell rang mournfully and clear
For those who died that Eastertide in the springing of the year
And the world did gaze, in deep amaze, at those fearless men, but few
Who bore the fight that freedom's light might shine through the foggy dew

Ah, back through the glen I rode again and my heart with grief was sore
For I parted then with valiant men whom I never shall see more
But to and fro in my dreams I go and I'd kneel and pray for you,
For slavery fled, O glorious dead, When you fell in the foggy dew.

To commemorate the 92nd aniversary of the Easter Rising, republicans and unionists are invited to battle for Ireland over six days starting Easter Monday, *March* 24 {oops}. This is not the kind of tournament where you show up, fight, and that's it. This tournament is about plotting the elimination of the opposition (and winning tournament points in the process).

Tournament mechanics will be as follows: Players sign up as either a Republican or a Unionist (recruiting phase). Rosters will close on St. Patrick's day. A list of all Republicans and Unionists will be posted.

The tournment then moves to the "plot" phase. During the plot phase, any player can challenge up to four players of the oposing side. Players will post challenges. On Easter Monday, games will be set up as though all battles will be fought (see scoring below).

<< timeline graphic to come>>

Tournament points will be awarded as follows: each win will count as +3 points. each game not concluded by day 6 will count as +1 for the player who was challenged to the match, and 0 for the challenger. Each game not concluded because one party did not join the game within the first 3 days will count as +1 for the party joining the game (the party not joining will credit 0 points.) Losses count as 0.

By way of explanation, the context is a revolt where one side tries to pick fights they can win, and also strategically engage enemies that are not able or unwilling to respond. For example, if the strongest player in the tournament is challenged by the lowest cook in the tournament, there's a good chance the stonger player won't show up because they don't want to loose cc points. In this way, the cook gets tournament points by occupying an uncontested field of battle. On the other hand, the stronger player might decide to simply crush the cook quickly and gain an outright win - so the cook is taking some risk based on confidence and other strategic factors. If a challenger cannot win the field within the timeframe of the revold (i.e., 6 days), then the other side is viewed as holding on long enough for reinforcements to arrive, and gets the tournament points..

In order to reward the difficulty of matches, the tournament points will be weighted using a FIFA style system. We will first multiply by a "game difficulty" factor, depending on the game characteristics set by the challenger (cards, fortifications, etc.) We will then multiply by an "opponent strength" factor, based on a heirarchical ranking of each tournament entrant. (This "handicap" factor will be calculated and posted at the time the plotting phase begins so that it can be taken account of in making challenges.)

More on game attributes... the challenger decides the conditions of battle. They are waiting for the right time when they can do the most damage, so challengers can set fog-of-war, cards, and fortification attributes. Fog-of-war game points will be multiplied by 1.50 (more difficult to find and crush you opponent). Games with cards (either escalating or flat) will be multiplied by 0.66 (victory by providence). Again, the challenger sets these parameters - remember to include in your challenge (once we get to the challenge phase) or we'll pick for you randomly.

At the end of day 6, a total score will be added up based on the status of all games at midnight EST.

Here is a simplified hypothetical example, and assuming only two challenges allowed. Suppose the muster roll after recruiting looked like this: Unionists: SkyT, negge. Replublicans: PooMaker, alangary. For negge, challenging PooMaker would have a bigger payoff, but then again lower probabiliy of payout, unless, of course, negge believed that PooMaker would be a no-show, in which case negge would get free tournament points. PooMaker, on recieving the challenge, along with many others, would need to decide wither to 1) ignore the challenge and not join the game (good grief, this guy has 9 points!); 2) join the game and play defensively to hold out for 6 days just to get the tournament points, or 3) join, go for the KO and show this upstart who is in charge of Ireland. Now negge can also decide to really concentrate on the planned attack of PooMaker and not make an addittional challenge, or he could also challenge alangary. Playing 2 games is no big deal, but he might also be challenged by both Poo & alangary, meaning - if we now go back to the four challenge rule with 10 to a side - he could end up having to play as many as 44 games at once.

You do not need to have premium membership to enter, but that will limit your point scoring ability as a practical matter. As a practical matter, sign up but remember to check back to see how the rolls are filling up.

If we don't get at least 10 republicans and 10 unionists by March 8 (St. Patrick's Day), the tournament will not go forward to the plotting phase. Other than that, it is fine to have more republicans than unionists, and there is no limit to the number of players that can join.

Again, this is a different kind of tournament. We're hoping the idea won't be too much to swallow, as it could be a lot of fun. Please sign up below if your interested.
Last edited by gdeangel on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby gdeangel on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:54 pm

RESERVED FOR GAMES / MASTER CHALLENGE LIST
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby gdeangel on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

Players (score as of recruiting close/ computed handicap)

Republicans
    1. [amazzony]
    2. acores2005
    3. multiplayertim
    4. StrG8611
    5. Natewolfman
Unionists
    1. [jako]
    2. vampir2124
    3. gdeangel
    4. [Rallyraider]
Last edited by gdeangel on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby amazzony on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:07 am

Put me down... wherever :)
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby jako on Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:38 pm

i'l take whatever side.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby acores2005 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:21 am

Ill take Republicans

2nd place
Mini Classic Tournament Best of the Best
Private 1st Class acores2005

Postby multiplayertim on Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:43 am

I'll take Republicans
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Postby StrG8611 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:58 pm

republicans
Major StrG8611

Postby gdeangel on Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:39 pm

Bump - St. Patrick's day is coming... positions on either side are still open!
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:51 pm

i suppose ill be a republican as well lol
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby RobinJ on Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:22 pm

You do all realise that the republicans were a bunch of cunts that day? British AND Irish were both fighting in France and a few wankors decided to stab them in the back. Deserved everything they got - no romantacism about them at all
nmhunate wrote:Speak English... It is the language that God wrote the bible in.

Highest Score: 2437
Highest Place: 84
Sergeant 1st Class RobinJ

Postby gdeangel on Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:58 pm

RobinJ - Does that mean your signing on for unionist side?

I'd have started the thread with a more circumspect quotation, but then you've got to admit the republicans were better (or at least more prolific) song writiers! :)
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby wicked on Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:11 pm

Keep it about the tourney guys, nothing else.
Major wicked

Postby hulmey on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:20 pm

How can you have a racist tourney!!!!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby hulmey on Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:23 pm

this is a fucking disgrace of a tourney!! Can the mods please ban this tournie or get the maker to name it more approriately...

Ps....You were quick enough to lock down rebelman's thread and continue to let this piece of shit stain commentrating blood shed and terroism....

Shame on you Conquer Club
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby wicked on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:27 pm

This is a part of history and a re-enactment of such. This issue was settled and agreed to by both sides in 1921 and Britain and Ireland have lived peacefully ever since (and I'm not talking about Northern Ireland, as that has nothing to do with this historical event). You can't really call it racist because the tourney organizer isn't saying "Irish are better" or vice versa; he's saying, you can pick either side, just like any other tourney. This tourney isn't an insult to either side, it's just a re-enactment of history.
Major wicked

Postby hulmey on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:27 am

You can't really call it racist because the tourney organizer isn't saying "Irish are better" or vice versa;

Well read the poem or arent you any good at translating poetry.
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby wicked on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:40 pm

It's a song hulmey. A historical one at that. Your disdain for the tournament is noted. You are not required to play in it. But it'll stay open for those who do want to play in it.
Major wicked

Postby vampir2124 on Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:43 pm

ill be a unionist seen as there arent so many...
Highest Score: Lieutenant - 1727 : 03/05/08

My First Tourney : now started. :) viewtopic.php?t=45863
Cook vampir2124

Postby gdeangel on Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:34 pm

Humley - Just so you know, this tournament was launched without any lyric and less character, and nobody signed up. Would you like to pay attention to facts? The dates of St. Patrick day, etc. just fit well. The main thing is to play a tourney on Ireland with the opportunity for shifting match strategies (i.e., along the lines of coordinated callouts).

To show my sincerity, I'll be playing unionist. If you want to sign up, go ahead and be by guest... since you apparently have identified a "terrorist" strategy that fits this tourney (sorry, I'm only a minor student of game theory - and I don't see it) please share your expertise by showing us how well you can do with it in the game play.

PS - thanks for the free bump and nice avatar!
Sergeant gdeangel

Postby Rallyraider on Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:28 am

i'll take something
Cook Rallyraider

Postby hulmey on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:23 am

LOL............................

Whats his face gets a warning for being racist and this Tournament is about to continue. Wow....

Maybe i should start a Tournament Called 9/11 - The Fall of the Twin Towers.......

Ps...I do like the way you have formatted this Tournament but i just think the name and its meaning is in appropriate
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby KoE_Sirius on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:51 am

wicked wrote:This is a part of history and a re-enactment of such. This issue was settled and agreed to by both sides in 1921 and Britain and Ireland have lived peacefully ever since (and I'm not talking about Northern Ireland, as that has nothing to do with this historical event). You can't really call it racist because the tourney organizer isn't saying "Irish are better" or vice versa; he's saying, you can pick either side, just like any other tourney. This tourney isn't an insult to either side, it's just a re-enactment of history.

Peacefully? You haven't read Michael Collins then?
This tourney should be banned.He is deliberately flouting peoples ignorance.
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Postby hulmey on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:52 am

Quite agree Sirius...........Although we all know that the Irish brain washed the rest of the world (mainly americans) into believing their cause (terroism) is just!!

Now can we please ban this tournie.
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:30 pm

It's not going to get banned. So, it isn't going to do you any good to keep asking for it to be.

If you don't want to participate, move along and make a thread debating the topic in flame wars or something.

Regards, Optimus Prime
Cadet Optimus Prime

Next

Return to Abandoned