Conquer Club

The Fight for Alexander's Empire [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby ttocs on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:23 pm

k, thanks mr k., it is an awesome map
Private 1st Class ttocs

Postby Mr. K on Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Thanks ttocs.

Well, I never did find that lost photoshop file, so I just redid the work. Turned out I didn't really have to do that much. I fixed Cyprus' location and I upped the size of the suggested names (actually, i made all the names a little bit bigger).

I think it might be ready, lets see what ya'll think.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:38 am

make the link between media and capsien sea slightly bigger, bit hard to tell whether it connects. Is Lydia and Thrace connected?
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Mr. K on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:16 am

Thrace and Lydia do not connect. I believe the coast of Media is definitely clear, though.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Megalomaniac on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:31 am

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or the map has been corrected since but in the original it would be more accurate to swap the name tags for mesopotamia and assyria.
Private Megalomaniac

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:59 am

A few names are still a little hard on the eye
  • India Inferior
  • Hyrcania?
  • Caria
  • Pisidia

are a few that are still rather small. I know there might be little room, but I'd still look into upping the name sizes of those...and perhaps others, a little more. Otherwise this map is nearing an end!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr. K on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:25 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:A few names are still a little hard on the eye
  • India Inferior
  • Hyrcania?
  • Caria
  • Pisidia
are a few that are still rather small. I know there might be little room, but I'd still look into upping the name sizes of those...and perhaps others, a little more. Otherwise this map is nearing an end!

--Andy

Believe me, I tried with all four of those. I'm afraid thats as big as they get. If they're any bigger, they get even harder to read because the border lines interfere with the writing to much and you really have problems. Really they're not any smaller than the average for this map, they're just harder to read cause the border lines interfere.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Mr. K on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:29 pm

Megalomaniac wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or the map has been corrected since but in the original it would be more accurate to swap the name tags for mesopotamia and assyria.

I'm not sure. Both empires controlled the other's area (plus more) at their height, so its tough to say. The map I used as a reference for this time period labeled the borders that way, so I think i'll just leave it.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:37 pm

I think the problem I have lies with the ' i 's of the name font. But if no one else has a problem with it, we can most likely get this baby up.

--Andy

Postby Mr. K on Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:56 pm

If you think its a big enough problem (I completely understand it, I've thoughtt his too) I could go ahead and manually dot some of my i's.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby tals on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:16 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think the problem I have lies with the ' i 's of the name font. But if no one else has a problem with it, we can most likely get this baby up.

--Andy

Looks good to me. Some nice maps about to be released

Tals
Sergeant tals

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:32 pm

I'd like to see manually dotted i 's at least. I don't think doing so would take very long, and could just be what this map needs. But it's up to you, not a complete pressing issue.

--Andy

Postby happysadfun on Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:59 pm

it's hard to differentiate in the key between selecus north and ptolomy. the colours in the key aren't very clear.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby tals on Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:15 pm

happysadfun wrote:it's hard to differentiate in the key between selecus north and ptolomy. the colours in the key aren't very clear.

I think that's being pedantic - one is darker than the other and that is reflected on the map.

Re the i's - doesn't bother me - not even sure you'd see a . tbh

Tals
Sergeant tals

Postby Mr. K on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:42 pm

I'm gonna go ahead and try and dot some of those i's, its something that bothered me also. When theres an "ri" (and theres a lot) it just kinda looks like an "n", so Caria looks like Cana, Syria looks like Syna, and so on. I'm gonna give it a shot a little later and i'll let everyone know how it worked out.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby tals on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:19 pm

tals wrote:
happysadfun wrote:it's hard to differentiate in the key between selecus north and ptolomy. the colours in the key aren't very clear.

I think that's being pedantic - one is darker than the other and that is reflected on the map.

Tals

Hmm looking at it again - i'd lighten Selucus North to make it clearer. I'm assuming they are the same colours (the key and the colour) they don't look quite the same?

Tals
Sergeant tals

Postby Megalomaniac on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 pm

Mr. K wrote:
Megalomaniac wrote:Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or the map has been corrected since but in the original it would be more accurate to swap the name tags for mesopotamia and assyria.

I'm not sure. Both empires controlled the other's area (plus more) at their height, so its tough to say. The map I used as a reference for this time period labeled the borders that way, so I think i'll just leave it.

There was no such empire as the mesopotamian empire, mesopotamnia is the area between the tigris and euphrates, assyria had the northern part of it for quite some time, which is accurate to the map, but the region labelled mesopotamia is outside the area that is mesopotamia... anyway now I sound like a prat.

Apart from that I think the map is excellent!
Private Megalomaniac

Postby Mr. K on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:31 am

Perhaps empire was the wrong word to use, but there was a "mesopotamian" peoples, considered the first "civilization" in that they no longer relied on hunting and traveling constantly.

And yes, I realize its a geographic location between the tigris and the euphrates, but i'm not sure my map isn't showing that location as mesopotamia. Perhpas some parts of what would be considered that location are clipped off, but I think its generally located correctly.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:36 am

Lets dot those i's and get this sucker up. I need a new map to play.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby casper on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:57 am

try switching the shading on the water so that playable areas have the lighter vibrant shade of blue. the playable seas would then stand out more than the non-playable seas. as it is now the shade of the out-of-play water takes attention away from where the action is. seems like it would make more sense the other way around.
Major casper

Postby Mr. K on Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:12 pm

Now with freshly added dots

Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Mr. K on Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 am

So....?
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby onbekende on Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:09 am

It is allright for me, no comments or questions from me
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF