Conquer Club

[Rules] Receive Deferred Troops for Continent Bonuses

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[Rules] Receive Deferred Troops for Continent Bonuses

Postby SJL on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:07 pm

I think the deferred army to the end of turn is a great idea.

However, the number of deferred armies awarded should be what you would have gotten if you didn't miss a turn.

for eg., let's say I hold 6 countries including the Australia Continent. I should get 5 armies on my next go.

If someone invades Australia and leaves me with 1 country. I should get 3 to deploy at the start of my turn and 5 deferred to deploy at the end, not 3 and 3.

This turns missing a turn from a significant disadvantage into a huge one.

Sometimes, especially for those outside the USA (because of the timezone difference when playing against US players), it often occurs that it's not your go when you log on and you don't get back for just over 24 hours.

It hurts enough to know you've lost two continents in that time and you wouldn't have because you would have fortified AND your opponents got a continent bonus they wouldn't have because you would have taken one of their countries, let alone not getting the bonus you rightfully earned by holding the continent for a whole round.

Please change this.

Thoughts? Other suggestions?

This only seems fair to me. The player missing a turn is at a big enough disadvantage all ready, why make it worse?

ALTERNATIVE:
When someone's 24hrs are up, just dump all the men they are owed on a random country instead of deferring them.
Sergeant 1st Class SJL

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:31 am

By not awarding what one "should've had" it encourages people not to miss their turns. It is about the fairest system we can get, in that you at least do get some armies for a missed turn, but you don't always get to do what you'd like with them.

As for your alternative, that was originally suggested and Rejected I believe simply because in many instances a random dump could be horrible (think one fortification, and a few other situations), and that it would also be difficult to code.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby SJL on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:15 am

The whole idea is that this is the real world. If you don't have the 'net at home, it's often impossible.

Us poor students ... I mean I don't even have home phone.
Sergeant 1st Class SJL

Postby greenoaks on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:40 am

then get the net at home, problem solved. :D
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby SJL on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:04 am

oh, i feel the love

haha
Sergeant 1st Class SJL

Re: 'Missed a turn' Deferred Army System

Postby llcooljabe on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:27 pm

:bump:

I just encountered this concept on a game I'm currently playing. Why is a player who missed a turn given his armies deferred or not? Seems ot me that there should be a penalty. If there's another thread discussing this in greater detail, I apologize. This is what i found using search.
Private llcooljabe

Postby Herakilla on Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:34 pm

the penalty is that you missed your turn. before you were given the armies at the beginning of the turn and this allowed for "surprise" attacks from people who purposefully missed their turns to build up large amounts of armies. but with this system you miss your turn, players get a chance to whack at you and you dont get to use those armies to attack with at all. also you can only deploy the deferred armies on one territory making it harder to use them even more in chained and adjacent fortifications
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Dekloren on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Are you kidding me?

That's how it works. When you miss a turn, you get the armies defered to be deployed on the end of your next turn. If you hold Aussie, you will get 5 deferred on your next turn, regardless if you lose Aussi after your missed turn.

I think it's pretty gay and people who miss turns shouldn't get any armies at all.
Private 1st Class Dekloren

Postby llcooljabe on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm

agree w/ dekloren

In my game... (conquer man), an opponent missed a turn, got 9 extra armies for that missed turn (due to the vast number of territories one owns in CM), and used those plus current army bonus to plow through a part of the board.

The stockpiling of armies still happens. This is a rule that should be revisited.
Private llcooljabe

Postby Timminz on Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:44 pm

Dekloren wrote:If you hold Aussie, you will get 5 deferred on your next turn, regardless if you lose Aussi after your missed turn.

That's not true. Your deferred armies are equal to (number of missed turns) X (number of armies you're given to deploy on THAT turn). Not counting any armies you get for cashing cards in.
Captain Timminz

Postby Herakilla on Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:36 am

llcooljabe wrote:agree w/ dekloren

In my game... (conquer man), an opponent missed a turn, got 9 extra armies for that missed turn (due to the vast number of territories one owns in CM), and used those plus current army bonus to plow through a part of the board.

The stockpiling of armies still happens. This is a rule that should be revisited.

thats impossible to do unless you are talking about the old system which is in case, old and dead
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby llcooljabe on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:05 am

Herakilla wrote:
llcooljabe wrote:agree w/ dekloren

thats impossible to do unless you are talking about the old system which is in case, old and dead

No it's quite possible. Since in Conquer man, you can own 20+ territories, plus bonuses, he got 9 armies x 2 for missing a turn plus his current turn's 9 armies.
Private llcooljabe

Postby Herakilla on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:31 pm

ya but he cant use any deferred armies to attack because you cant place them until you hit end attacks and when you do place them you immediatly go into fortifications
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby DaveS_WI on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 pm

It looks as though this has been beat to death but I have noticed a pattern that seems deceitful and not in the spirit of the game.

Here is what I have experienced enough I believe it is a strategy that I feel is deceitful.

Opponent was loosing but had a set of cards
Chooses to loose a turn
In the ensuing turn, they turn in their cards
Obnoxiously over extend themselves
Then use their deferred troops to reinforce this over extension

By using their deferred troops they can reinforce exactly at the end of the over extension. It is pretty amazing by combining, deferred troops and reinforced troops, they can really build up a defensive pile for missing a turn.

Has anyone talked about:
Only allowing to deploy them on territories that were owned at the beginning of the turn
Deploy no more than one per location
Cannot deploy on a territory you reinforced too
Captain DaveS_WI

Return to Suggestions