Conquer Club

Egypt: Lower [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:07 pm

edbeard wrote:I'd probably switch the bonus numbers for memphis and alexandria. But, I still think they're all +3 except for the right most continent.

Not sure that can be changed too much (in my mind) unless there's more territories added (which I don't think you should do).

I'm not too fond of continents with bonuses larger than their territory count. Or, quite large compared to it. Which you have here in a couple places I think.

OK edbeard....Version 4 changes the bonuses a little...reduces Tanis to 3 and increases Alexandria to 4.

* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:14 pm

Version 4 Test

XML is done...just needs centering

http://h1.ripway.com/cairnswk/_lower_egypt.xml
Private cairnswk

Postby mibi on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:14 pm

um, isn't this upper Egypt?
Captain mibi

Postby InkL0sed on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:20 pm

mibi wrote:um, isn't this upper Egypt?

No, it's the lower Nile --> Lower Egypt. Why should up necessarily correspond with North? It's just how it is.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby Arcee on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:22 pm

i think it's because the Nile flows North. so upper nile is south, and lower nile is north.

<fastposted>
Sergeant 1st Class Arcee

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:23 pm

not according to my research mibi

Private cairnswk

Postby mibi on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:17 pm

Ahh ok. So if its Nile-centric it is lower Egypt I suppose. It's kind of confusing in a north-south centric world.
Captain mibi

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:25 pm

mibi wrote:Ahh ok. So if its Nile-centric it is lower Egypt I suppose. It's kind of confusing in a north-south centric world.

yes mibi, but i think that applies to all rivers...i often refer to the source of rivers as the upper reaches...i also think this comes from as geographical aspect of the river being in the highlands and the mouth being in the lowerlands...who knows... :)
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:27 pm

Indeed, from what I remember from my 7th grade Geography class...Northern Egypt is indeed Lower Egypt... :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:34 pm

latest v4

Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:56 pm

I'm really digging the style of this map...I think you've captured Egypt splendidly!

The Dows are overwhelming at first, but if you study the map I think you can get a handle on what connects to what.

A few graphic points:

Might want to nudge the Khenty-ab army shadow left in Sile, just to be sure the coordinates don't go off the edge of the map. It looks like there is ample room.

Also in Sile, how about moving the name below Khenty-ab in that rather open space, as in it's current spot it is somewhat crammed and jammed.

Regarding the continent title names, perhaps use a slightly darker tone for the fill color, just so Sile and Memphis stand out a little more (the others rest on water so no problem for them, but could add it to them for uniformity).

Some game play:

I'd like to see another 2 Bonus continent...what if you made Buto into one? You could move the Dow at The b-ka - Tetuh to... Nay-tahut - Tetuh.

That would remove a border from Buto, and it would still keep the general movement in that area.

This may be problematic, because you'd have two 2 Bonus continents next to each other, but they are not connected to each other (Nay-tahut is like a bridge between them).

Anyways, just a thought!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:09 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm really digging the style of this map...I think you've captured Egypt splendidly!

Gees. thanks Andy. :) I looked at the development atlas before Unit_2 got his hands on it, and saw those Egyptian maps and thought it was about time something was done on that front.

After seeing the program recently on the Kush region of Egypt and the gold mines there, I am hoping that i can turn this into a trilogy....lower, middle and upper Egypt.

The Dows are overwhelming at first, but if you study the map I think you can get a handle on what connects to what.

I had to use them to give timeliness to the map....they only had dows for crossing rivers. I will see of o can tart them up later.

A few graphic points:

Might want to nudge the Khenty-ab army shadow left in Sile, just to be sure the coordinates don't go off the edge of the map. It looks like there is ample room.

Also in Sile, how about moving the name below Khenty-ab in that rather open space, as in it's current spot it is somewhat crammed and jammed.

Regarding the continent title names, perhaps use a slightly darker tone for the fill color, just so Sile and Memphis stand out a little more (the others rest on water so no problem for them, but could add it to them for uniformity).

Done....next version.

Some game play:

I'd like to see another 2 Bonus continent...what if you made Buto into one? You could move the Dow at The b-ka - Tetuh to... Nay-tahut - Tetuh.

That would remove a border from Buto, and it would still keep the general movement in that area.

This may be problematic, because you'd have two 2 Bonus continents next to each other, but they are not connected to each other (Nay-tahut is like a bridge between them).

Anyways, just a thought!

--Andy

I'll have to think on this one....and try to get another 2 bonus point continent in there somehow. I'd be more likely to split those two 4 up a bit to create another one in there somehow....but i'll see.
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:18 am

Version 5

Split Memphis up into and east and west, and took a tert from Sile to create BUBASTIS....

Now only 1 x 4 bonus tert in Alexandria - fittingly as it can be attacked from Tanis, and a spread of 3 and 2.

Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 am

Versioni 6...just a few changes to the plastering effects and bevelling on the title. Also re-positioned and re-hyphenated again some names...what the heck, they are already hyphenated so i just wanted them to fit into the terts appropriately.

Private cairnswk

Postby gimil on Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:11 am

[Adv. Idea]

Once I see a little more discussion coming from this ill be happy to stamp it :)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby mibi on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:36 pm

One of your best maps so far, although the colors could be more Egypt than Atlantis.
Captain mibi

Re:

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:36 am

mibi wrote:One of your best maps so far, although the colors could be more Egypt than Atlantis.

mibi...what is the atlantis bit you're referring to....sorry sometimes can't read your thoughts!!! :?:
Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V6 (p4) - Gameplay and bonus discussions.

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:34 pm

Version 7.
Treatment of the sea, estuaries, and arrows :)

Last edited by cairnswk on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Re: Re:

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:37 pm

cairnswk wrote:
mibi wrote:One of your best maps so far, although the colors could be more Egypt than Atlantis.

mibi...what is the atlantis bit you're referring to....sorry sometimes can't read your thoughts!!! :?:

http://www.unmuseum.org/atlantis.htm

I think he means too watery or too many cool colors.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

Thanks Kaplowitz. but if he doesn't explain it to me without expecting me to read his mind, then i guess it really is open for interpretation. :)
Private cairnswk

Re: LOWER EGYPT V7 (p3) - Gameplay and bonus discussions.

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:50 pm

Where it says "Im u" is there supposed to be a space in between the "m" and the "u"?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby cairnswk on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Where it says "Im u" is there supposed to be a space in between the "m" and the "u"?

No. if you look on the small map (small maps are always the master for me because i work from small and then prorogate up to large) it is evenly spaced. This is a kerning issue with the font, and i suspect in the next version, after having just looked into this, i will have to change the font on the territory names.
Private cairnswk

Postby laci_mae on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:42 pm

I love this map, and I'm super impressed with what you can accomplish in 2 weeks of map-making.

Question: I'm guessing the stars are the capitals, so is there some bonus related to them?

Minor graphic detail: The line from Am Khent (territory name) to the territory should be rotated clockwise a bit. It appears (at least at first glance) to point to the dow. It would be more clear if it pointed toward the army circle.

Best,
Laci
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby mibi on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

you read my mind!
Captain mibi

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:57 pm

The occasional darker color would be good, I agree.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas