Conquer Club

[Official] Classic TOUCH-UP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Official] Classic TOUCH-UP [Quenched]

Postby wicked on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:56 am

yeti_c wrote:
wicked wrote:Actually I am. The black ones you did were too dark. What I prefer is what I posted. What I'd settle for is something close to that. "Do nothing" should always be an alternative.

Well saying that would've been better than being an arse about it.

C.

Don't be so touchy. ;-) I was putting the pic up for comparison purposes.
Major wicked

Postby wicked on Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:58 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:I just cannot understand why the will of the majority is being ignored and why it all had to boil down to this. The changes were unpopular, one cannot ignore that.

Oh you're far from being ignored. Hasn't everything we've said been a testament to that? There's a lot going on behind the scenes, and I suspect we may hear something (at least an update) tomorrow (or later today depending on your time zone).
Major wicked

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:02 am

wicked wrote:
yeti_c wrote:
wicked wrote:Actually I am. The black ones you did were too dark. What I prefer is what I posted. What I'd settle for is something close to that. "Do nothing" should always be an alternative.

Well saying that would've been better than being an arse about it.

C.

Don't be so touchy. ;-) I was putting the pic up for comparison purposes.

Anyway...

I tweaked the ones in North America... that better?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby T7 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:22 am

Thanks for the effort yeti_c, it's great to see someone being so productive and trying to find the *best* answer according to consensus.

But I'm afriad I agree with Wicked - the original dots are superior to all the options on your 'range of dots' post, in my opinion.

Of the dots on your 'range of dots' map, I prefer Australia. Africa and South America are too solid already.

If North America were lighter, that'd be great - but that is essentially what the original dots are.

Like I said, the original dots were fine.

For me, the other big issue is the "neon sign" key on the bottom left of the screen for people who can't work out where South America is... the old one was better.

Just wanted to give you some actual feedback yeti_c. Thanks for putting in the effort, appreciated.
Highest score: 2039 24/6/11 (1910 16/2/10, 1903 6/1/09)
Major T7

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:24 am

T7 wrote:I prefer Australia.

I really liked Aus actually too - although I have a feeling that the army numbers won't stand out well enough against them.

So here's some numbers on the image...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:33 am

I think that to make a proper comparison we need to have the same army shadows for all the map because it also depends on the continent's colour.

i.e. show us 4 maps each with the 4 different army shadows including armies.

P.S. I have problems reading that 5 in Indonesia.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby T7 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:47 am

Thanks yeti_c. Now that I see it with numbers on it, Australia doesn't work so well - like Ruben said, the grey doesn't show well against it at all.

I think the whole white dot concept is fundamentally flawed.

North America, however, looks great. It's easy to read and it doesn't interfere with the asthetics of the map.

I would settle for North America's dots - and that's coming from a die-hard "bring back the original map" guy.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks again yeti_c.
Major T7

Postby firstholliday on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 am

N amerika looks good.

the rest does not..
7 firstholliday 3589 (58%) General 128-2 Netherlands
General firstholliday

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:27 am

firstholliday wrote:N amerika looks good.

the rest does not..

agreed i hate the shadow in theback
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Corporal 1st Class 0ojakeo0

Postby MajorRT on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:21 am

Yeti, def. darker circles are better....N.A. dots (dark gray) are the best. Can the yellow army numbers be brightened or neoned to stand out from silver and white/neutral?
Major MajorRT

Postby BeakerWMA on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:22 am

Freetymes wrote:I am still not sure if this is a place to say something that will not get lost in all of the hate and anger posts (some mine) about the change to the classic map, but here goes.

Please consider that very few of the members of this site come to the forums and even fewer venture into cartography. Consider if you will how hard life in this area would be if everybody felt the need to check in every day and give you their opinion on your work? So be careful what you ask for. I have no idea if there has been a cry for change or not. What I am sure of is that you and your work would have been better served by opening up a dialog about this change to the general population prior to installing it. Few people like change of any kind, good or bad. No one likes it thrust upon them unaware of its coming. Even worse is changing the original and seemingly most liked and played map. I think, as I said, you have done yourself and your community a disservice and for my part I feel you have ruined what has been my favorite map.

Please, please change it back or at the very least allow it to be toggled back to the original version. I and others have compared what you have done to the change Coke made once upon a time... Both changes show failures, of those in power to make these changes, to understand that good or perceived bad you do not change the original.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Captain BeakerWMA

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 am

MajorRT wrote:Yeti, def. darker circles are better....N.A. dots (dark gray) are the best. Can the yellow army numbers be brightened or neoned to stand out from silver and white/neutral?

Can't change the numbers - then they won't fit on other maps.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby T7 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:43 am

I'm pretty sure the army colour codes has been under a lot of work and development in the recent past - probably best to leave that for the moment so we're not complicating things by discussing two elements at once.

You're right though, the army codes might need a little tweaking once this map situation is sorted.

Cheers.
Major T7

Postby norsemsn1066 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:14 am

Wouldn't it be possible to have two available? The old code and the new code? As a side note what about an option in your Control panel or Game options for people, like myself that cannot see the armies on the map, for a sight impared verson that shows the first letter of the colour and then the # of armies in the territory just in white on a black background/circle? I think this would satisfy both groups but not being a programmer I'm not sure if this is possible but I'm throwing it into the ring anyway.

Thank you for your time and attention.
Remember Vimy Ridge!!!

http://www.tabsonline.net For gaming in and around Toronto Canada
Private 1st Class norsemsn1066

Postby jiminski on Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:22 pm

yeti_c wrote:

I really liked Aus actually too - although I have a feeling that the army numbers won't stand out well enough against them.

C.

Europe Seems to be the worst affected due to territory size ..
i think someone said this before but could we see various maps with the same 'Dish' option on each territory?
Captain jiminski

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:07 pm

jiminski wrote:
yeti_c wrote:

C.

Europe Seems to be the worst affected due to territory size ..
i think someone said this before but could we see various maps with the same 'Dish' option on each territory?

If I get time... or until some better versions come along... but these are nowhere near good enough options - I'm just trying to see what people would like instead...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby firstholliday on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:33 pm

If I get time... or until some better versions come along... but these are nowhere near good enough options - I'm just trying to see what people would like instead...

now thats pretty easy.... people would like their map back.... :?
7 firstholliday 3589 (58%) General 128-2 Netherlands
General firstholliday

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:35 pm

Yeti, looking at the last map you put on I think the only problem with the new map is the army shadows.

Can you try using the same army shadows that were used for the original Classic? I think that should solve the problem once and for all.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:24 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Yeti, looking at the last map you put on I think the only problem with the new map is the army shadows.

Can you try using the same army shadows that were used for the original Classic? I think that should solve the problem once and for all.

I tried to replicate them on North America...

However - the old shadows just aren't going to cut it - the Shadows were changed for a reason... so as to make it easier to see the army numbers on similar colour continents - most specifically Blue on Europe...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:25 pm

firstholliday wrote:now thats pretty easy.... people would like their map back.... :?

We ALL know that this isn't going to happen.

Now move on and start being part of the solution - and not part of the problem.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Buba on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:35 pm

The problem is with the white circles. So I propose one of the following changes:

1. Make the circles a dark color: Examples would include maps such as USA and South America.

2. Remove circles all together.
Make the colors of the map lighter. Examples include: Portugal and Ireland
March Madness '08 Winner
Optimus Prime Anniversary Tournament Winner

Looking for a Doubles partner
Captain Buba

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:40 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:Yeti, looking at the last map you put on I think the only problem with the new map is the army shadows.

I tried to replicate them on North America...

However - the old shadows just aren't going to cut it - the Shadows were changed for a reason... so as to make it easier to see the army numbers on similar colour continents - most specifically Blue on Europe...

C.

I see. Well the ones in North America are the best so far I think. Maybe if they were slightly darker they would be a bit better.

The ones in Europe which I believe are the ones used in Classic! are the worse so far. They really hurt my eyes.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Twill on Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Update on its way....hang in there guys :)
Retired.
Please don't PM me about forum stuff any more.

Essential forum poster viewing:
Posting, and You! and How to behave on an internet forum...on the internet
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby Twill on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:11 pm

Update: head on over to viewtopic.php?f=10&t=48700
Retired.
Please don't PM me about forum stuff any more.

Essential forum poster viewing:
Posting, and You! and How to behave on an internet forum...on the internet
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby delahoc on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:30 pm

Okay, here's my two cents' worth. I kicked up a lot of fuss when the map was changed last time (in fact, I think I started the revolt), so I guess I need to comment now.

First - it's good that the territory names are fixed up, and that the army numbers don't appear over the top of them.

Second - white as a background ... hmmm ... In the poll, I voted for one of the white options, but my previous comment (in the initial discussions) about the white background still stands. A white background actually washes out the colour of objects in top of it, and colours that are close to begin with (such as the green and blue used for army numbers here) become very hard to differentiate. That's my biggest problem - in some light conditions, the white background makes it hard for me to tell the difference between blue armies and green armies. I voted for one of the paler white options for that reason. A black background actually makes the colours bolder than they otherwise are, so blue and green are easy to tell apart. Having said that, though, the map itself it somewhat dark to begin with, so the black backgrounds just make it darker. I wonder if the entire map could be made lighter in colour? Then the black backgrounds would work better.
----------------------------
Craig Delahoy
---------------------------
Sergeant 1st Class delahoc

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas