San Marino [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Repubblica di San Marino - Updated: 17.04.08

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:57 am

Ok guys I have an updated version ready which I will probably post later on today. I added the mini map and bonus legend.

I am reading your comments and evaluating them but I will see what other people have to say before making any other changes.

1. About the mountains it shouldn't be a problem to make them bigger. Waiting for more feedback from other users.

2. The font can be easily changed. Personally I don't mind it but I'll wait for feedback from other people to see what to do.

3. The bonuses. I have been thinking a lot about them. I think I'll keep them. I believe that they add a new element to the map. Many of the territories are small and easy to hold. However a player can make a comeback perhaps if he manages to hold the yellow territories even though he doesn't have a regional bonus and this adds another strategic element to the game. Also the fact that you need at least 6 of them to get a 1 unit bonus prevents the yellow territories bonus from being a random thing but something that a player must work for. If anything my question is this...does the bonus starting from 6 territories seem too harsh and perhaps needs to be lowered to 4 or 5 or is it fine as it is? Again waiting for more comments.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Repubblica di San Marino - Updated: 17.04.08

Postby RjBeals on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:14 am

I like the mountains. They do not need to resemble real mountains - these kind of feel more like game board pieces, but its still cool. My vote is to keep them as is (or close to it).
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: Repubblica di San Marino - Updated: 17.04.08 - Map on page 1

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:21 am

RjBeals wrote:I like the mountains. They do not need to resemble real mountains - these kind of feel more like game board pieces, but its still cool. My vote is to keep them as is (or close to it).

i also dont mind them, but at this stage you need not worry about them too much,

Ruben Cassar wrote:However a player can make a comeback perhaps if he manages to hold the yellow territories even though he doesn't have a regional bonus and this adds another strategic element to the game.

i think that would make it fairer, because no1 can say "i got a bad start" coz theyre bound to be near/holding a yellow terit and maybe a chance at a cont, basically i think that might balence it out (or it might not :P)
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby bryguy on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:35 am

Pros:

Good Bonus'
Its an actual place (i think)
The territory lines are O.K

Cons

The background sucks (sorry)
There doesnt seem to be a need for that stamp-like-thing in the corner, it just takes up room
There seems to be extra unused room that u could get rid of
The lakes/mountains arent that graphically appealing
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby bryguy on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 am

Click image to enlarge.

reposted for new page
Corporal bryguy

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby cena-rules on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:41 am

This is a really nice map but you have a river through the middle of a terr and its wierd and will be rather confusing
19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:26 am

cena-rules wrote:This is a really nice map but you have a river through the middle of a terr and its wierd and will be rather confusing

Yes, but the actual river is located in that location.

I will add bridges so that there won't be any confusion. Remember this is still not finished, but thanks for pointing that out.

Besides as a side note every CC player should get BOB. It's great and it solves these kind of problems with maps.

On a separate note the free space will be used and yes San Marino is an actual place. It's in the Italian peninsula.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby gimil on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:29 am

Ruben its nice to see you back in teh foundry again mate :)

I remeber you where the reason I got portugal so far.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 am

gimil wrote:Ruben its nice to see you back in teh foundry again mate :)

I remeber you where the reason I got portugal so far.

Hehe thanks mate. I am glad I was of assistance on that one. Portugal is a lovely map I must say.

I have been busy these past months. Just finished my thesis and have my final university exams coming up in early June. I will have a bit more free time from mid June onwards to dedicate to CC. ;)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:39 am

i dont like the thing that the mini map/bonus key is on, i dont like the slant, it looks quickly done and rushed that bit does

other wise it v gdgd well done :)
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:49 am

t-o-m wrote:i dont like the thing that the mini map/bonus key is on, i dont like the slant, it looks quickly done and rushed that bit does

Would a normal rectangular form be better or did you have something else in mind?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:09 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
t-o-m wrote:i dont like the thing that the mini map/bonus key is on, i dont like the slant, it looks quickly done and rushed that bit does

Would a normal rectangular form be better or did you have something else in mind?

i dont know, umm,,,
i just dont think it looks right when you have a right angle at the top right, and then a weird angle at the bottom left, i dunno what you could do, maybe try changing it to the other side so it might fit?

ur call :)
Colonel t-o-m

Re: Repubblica di San Marino

Postby sam_levi_11 on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:33 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
sam_levi_11 wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
Hehe that's interesting. Care to elaborate a bit more on what you mean exactly? Also is this a bad thing or a good thing?

Well i like germany exept the graphics, but i dont like these graphics much either much but meh

Hehe seems like you're a difficult person to please Sam! :p

Germany is being revamped maybe you'll like it more now.

i am lol. i like it a bit more now, got used to it, but the yellow teritory thing seems pontless, u need 6 for +1, which isnt worth the hassle, and you would need another cont to hold it anyway.
plus the yellow doesnt stand out and isnt immediatly clear.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Repubblica di San Marino

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:47 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote: the yellow teritory thing seems pontless, u need 6 for +1, which isnt worth the hassle, and you would need another cont to hold it anyway.
plus the yellow doesnt stand out and isnt immediatly clear.

i think that by the time you have that "cont", the others will have proper conts and will have wiped you out, and plus, the yellow terit "cont" bonus is exposed on every terit, so it really is not worth holding 6 terits to get a bonus of 1 when your exposed like that!!
Colonel t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:03 pm

t-o-m wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

i dont know, umm,,,
i just dont think it looks right when you have a right angle at the top right, and then a weird angle at the bottom left, i dunno what you could do, maybe try changing it to the other side so it might fit?

ur call :)

Okay I updated it. Check page 1 version 1.9.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas