Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v9--April 16--PAGE 1+5

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:45 pm

Im going to be in London until next Saturday with internet access, but no photoshop...so i cant update for a while. I will try to think of some things to make it more Switzerlandy though by using better colors and adding more mts/water
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby cairnswk on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:57 am

Kaplowitz wrote:Im going to be in London until next Saturday with internet access, but no photoshop...so i cant update for a while. I will try to think of some things to make it more Switzerlandy though by using better colors and adding more mts/water

Have fun Kap. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby t-o-m on Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:42 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Kaplowitz wrote:Im going to be in London until next Saturday with internet access, but no photoshop...so i cant update for a while. I will try to think of some things to make it more Switzerlandy though by using better colors and adding more mts/water

Have fun Kap. :)

yup
Major t-o-m

Postby Astoria on Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 pm

in my opinion colors are good but for the brown(orange) one
Lieutenant Astoria

Some corrections from switzerland

Postby pamoa on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 pm

good job Kaplowitz, i was to suggest to do a map of my own little switzerland but just saw you allready did the job, great!
Here are some suggestions:
About names:

Schaffhausen
Basel (without Landschaft) city name is enough
Appenzell (without Rhoden) you should specify inner or outer or it doesn't mean anything
Unterwalden for both ob (high) and nid (low)
Bienne instead of Grenchen wich is a less important city

I'll send you by mail some suggestions for montains as the ones you put are situated right in the middle of a the lowlands! but could be changed in a river wich does actually exist the Aar.

An other very important point about the county grouping. Swtizerland is a democracy founded in 1291 by the alliance of the 3 central county Uri, Schwyz and Unterwald against the austrian emperor. So I think it is important to make a single group for those 3 with some special bonus. It is very important if you want your map make any sense!
So i'll put Bern and Thun with yellow as Bienne (Grenchen) is part of Bern county in reality. Luzern and Glarus with brown. And change Ticino wich is italian speaking with cyan as GraubĆ¼nden county is also partially italian speaking.
Maybe you can consider putting Fribourg and NeuchĆ¢tel with violet as they are mainly french speaking zone and so the language "barrier" (we say it so) would be respected.

A last point, the color on the bonus map didn't match the ones on the map itself

I hope you don't mind all my remarks but i like my country to be respected!
Again great job! =D>
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: Some corrections from switzerland

Postby greenoaks on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:39 pm

pamoa wrote:good job Kaplowitz, i was to suggest to do a map of my own little switzerland but just saw you allready did the job, great!
Here are some suggestions:
About names:

Schaffhausen
Basel (without Landschaft) city name is enough
Appenzell (without Rhoden) you should specify inner or outer or it doesn't mean anything
Unterwalden for both ob (high) and nid (low)
Bienne instead of Grenchen wich is a less important city

I'll send you by mail some suggestions for montains as the ones you put are situated right in the middle of a the lowlands! but could be changed in a river wich does actually exist the Aar.

An other very important point about the county grouping. Swtizerland is a democracy founded in 1291 by the alliance of the 3 central county Uri, Schwyz and Unterwald against the austrian emperor. So I think it is important to make a single group for those 3 with some special bonus. It is very important if you want your map make any sense!
So i'll put Bern and Thun with yellow as Bienne (Grenchen) is part of Bern county in reality. Luzern and Glarus with brown. And change Ticino wich is italian speaking with cyan as GraubĆ¼nden county is also partially italian speaking.
Maybe you can consider putting Fribourg and NeuchĆ¢tel with violet as they are mainly french speaking zone and so the language "barrier" (we say it so) would be respected.

A last point, the color on the bonus map didn't match the ones on the map itself

I hope you don't mind all my remarks but i like my country to be respected!
Again great job! =D>
those are the best comments on this map i have seen so far.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby pamoa on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:31 am

If you change your grouping territories limits and put Bienne (Grenchen) in the yellow group then spell it in german Biel
De gueules Ć  la tour d'argent ouverte, crĆ©nelĆ©e de trois piĆØces, sommĆ©e d'un donjon ajourĆ©, crĆ©nelĆ© de deux piĆØces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:47 pm

The graphics for this map are coming along nicely, as well as the gameplay (well, there's not much to change about gameplay thats based off of a real area, but it looks ok for this map setup.) The bonuses looks to be ok, also.

Just a few things (well, a lot of minor things):

the colors on the bonuses section are different from the big map. The orange and purple need to switch places.
EDIT: ah, I see that was already pointed out by a previous poster.... moving on now:

Could you make the title on the map a bit less blurry? and remove/fade the shadowy looking effect behind the text under "switzerland"? the combination of the double lines (caused by the shadows and the text) and the blur just isn't being nice to my eyes right now.... make it more of a shadow and less of a second set of lines.

There are a few places where the territory names are partially obscuring the border lines, making them difficult to see in some places:
LAUSANNE: the NE at the end kinda messes with the borders behind it. You can still see what's going on there, but moving it a few pixels to the bottom-left might help.
BASEL-LANDSCHAET: the HAET part is really messing with the background here. With the mountains ending and the text obscuring the boundary, it kinda looks like BASEL-LANDSCHAET can attack AARGAU.... but it kinda doesn't. Moving the text a bit or extending the mountains would solve that problem.

At the OBWALDEN, LUZERN, SCHWYZ, URI intersection, it almost looks like a 4-way corner. all 4 corners coming together, and its difficult to see what attacks what. could you make the OBWALDEN-SCHWYZ border a bit longer so it's easier to see? not to mess with the geography, just to show that it is possible to attack between those two, and to help out the people that don't have very good eyesight and might not be able to tell what attacks what in there.

Good luck with this map. I like it so far.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:34 am

Wow! Thats a lot! Okay, ill fix all of those things! As for the poll, it is still pretty close...ill give it a little more time.

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:55 am

Click image to enlarge.

-Moved army dots
-Changed names
-fixed 4 way border
-moved mts
-changed BG (cairns' colors)

So far the poll is 13-5, not much help.
As for mts and lakes, the maps on Google basically say that mts are everywhere! A little help pamoa if you know?
If i missed anything please tell me!

Re: Switzerland v10--April 27--PAGE 1+6

Postby bryguy on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:58 am

plz look at your bonus colors and compare them to the map....

edit: just in case u dont see it...

my concern is that in the bonuses the purple continent is orange and the orange continent is purple
Corporal bryguy

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:40 am

bryguy wrote:plz look at your bonus colors and compare them to the map....

my concern is that in the bonuses the purple continent is orange and the orange continent is purple

Looks like he forgot to change that part.

Postby t-o-m on Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:52 am

the terit name of "Unter Walden" blocks the terit lines between that terit and Schwyz and i thought that they were the sam terit- i dont know if you can fix that or... theres not a lot of room so it might have to stay - im jsut poinnting it out :)
-
if you take a harder look at teh terit you can see so its probably not a big problem :)
Major t-o-m

Postby TaCktiX on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:43 pm

The neon white borderlines are making your text where it overlaps almost completely unreadable. I ran into the same problem with The Citadel, so the easiest way to fix that is to increase contrast between the text and the borders.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby t-o-m on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:47 pm

mmm...
its hard coz youve got a load a big terts, and some small ones - where the text looks too big/overlaps, and if you made the text smaller it would look tiny on the big terits - so you may have to do some thinking - you could try what Tack said :)
Major t-o-m

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:52 pm

TaCktiX wrote:The neon white borderlines are making your text where it overlaps almost completely unreadable. I ran into the same problem with The Citadel, so the easiest way to fix that is to increase contrast between the text and the borders.

So it's back to black borders? [-o<
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:39 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
TaCktiX wrote:The neon white borderlines are making your text where it overlaps almost completely unreadable. I ran into the same problem with The Citadel, so the easiest way to fix that is to increase contrast between the text and the borders.

nope.
I like the white borders.
There just has to be a bit more contrast to make everything easier to see.

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:43 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

nope.
I like the white borders.
There just has to be a bit more contrast to make everything easier to see.

Blah :(

Oh well, the white borders are starting to grow on me a little...I suppose if there's a bit more contrast they'll look pretty good.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby t-o-m on Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:06 pm

how about red boarders :P
nah im joking - i didnt like the white at first - but now theyre
ZeakCytho wrote:starting to grow on me a little

so i think it will be ok,
i dont think i would like the black v much
Major t-o-m

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:03 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
bryguy wrote:plz look at your bonus colors and compare them to the map....

Looks like he forgot to change that part.

Actually its because im not sure if i am going to re-do the color theme. Since i have seperate layers for borders, each of the colors, and the base for the land, its REALLY annoying to make the mini map.

As for the borders, i can fool around with the contrast and other colors maybe.

Im also currently changing mts and rivers

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:30 pm

v11
Click image to enlarge.

-Changed mts
-Made old mts into a river
-Made more river

Now i have to change the bonuses and the minimap.
still undecided about the color scheme...im not really sure how else to do it!

Re: Switzerland v11--April 27--PAGE 1+7

Postby ZeakCytho on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:40 pm

I don't like the river or the bridges very much. They both look almost cartoony, which really isn't the style of this map at all. As for the mountains, I think the lighter parts should be on the north/east face and the darker on the south/west, which is the opposite of what's there now. Ie, right now the light source is at the bottom right of the map; I think it should be at the top right.

To fix the Unter Walden Border problem: If you move the text of Thun west, you could put the text of "Unter Walden" partially over the mountain and where the current army circle of that territory is now. Move the army circle north toward the border with Schwyz and the problem is solved. The point of moving Thun was so that there's no overlap of the glow.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:46 pm

I can switch the lighting of the mountains, and i can change the position of the text.

As for the river, i rather liked it...lets wait and see what others think.

Postby Ogrecrusher on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:59 am

I like the river, but bridges, hmm. They're ok but I think could be better. I suggest you PM Pamoa and get more comments, I think you'll get better technical accuracy from him than the rest of us put together!

Still all a bit too dark for me though..
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Would arrows be better than bridges?

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box