Conquer Club

Religion vs. Science

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Religion vs. Science

Postby freakshow on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:20 pm

Ok here something that I think we can all disagree on, or maybe we're all agreed, any way just to kick things off.
I find religion to be a totally pointless, infact quite harmful diversion. To begin with it's all complete BS. Instead of anwsering questions it simply leaves with you with harder unanwserable questions. It's devisive, exclusive, and often violent. More people have died in the name of religion than in WWII. I think that science is a much better alternative, it offers us the ability to come up with real anwsers to questions about who we are and why we are here, and it teaches us that no matter how diffrent we seem we are all connected and we have more incommon then we have diffrences. I have chosen in my life to abstain from as many religious things as possible, (although being a minor I don't have much choice sometimes).
Any way I'd love to hear your views on the topic, call me a heritic and what not if you will.
"CAN YOU DIG IT?"
-thegrimsleeper
Private freakshow

Postby HighBorn on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:24 pm

to not believe in a higher power.. thats just mad man mad... hmmmm... :)
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Phx99 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:25 pm

talk about stirring up the pot! lol
Phx99
Cook Phx99

Postby onbekende on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:28 pm

If you beleef in things above mankind: Good for you.
If you think we are alone and miserable: Good for you.

Way to stop a thread, isn't it :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby HighBorn on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:32 pm

naw just makes for no fun.. fun sucker!!!

Postby Phate on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:42 pm

These threads always, without fail, turn in to flame wars.

I myself, for what it's worth, am firmly atheist. Religions follow nonsensical rules, promote ignorance and stand in the way of social advancement.
Private Phate

Re: Religion vs. Science

Postby Hoff on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:54 pm

freakshow wrote:Ok here something that I think we can all disagree on, or maybe we're all agreed, any way just to kick things off.
I find religion to be a totally pointless, infact quite harmful diversion. To begin with it's all complete BS. Instead of anwsering questions it simply leaves with you with harder unanwserable questions. It's devisive, exclusive, and often violent. More people have died in the name of religion than in WWII. I think that science is a much better alternative, it offers us the ability to come up with real anwsers to questions about who we are and why we are here, and it teaches us that no matter how diffrent we seem we are all connected and we have more incommon then we have diffrences. I have chosen in my life to abstain from as many religious things as possible, (although being a minor I don't have much choice sometimes).
Any way I'd love to hear your views on the topic, call me a heritic and what not if you will.

Sceince is your religion.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby lackattack on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:58 pm

freakshow wrote:I think that science is a much better alternative, it offers us the ability to come up with real anwsers to questions about who we are and why we are here

Science is great for explaining how the universe works. It can describe the mechanisms that cause cancer or the gravity that makes an apple fall. But if you're seeking an answer to why there is gravity or why we suffer from disease or if there is a soul or what's the meaning of life, science will never answer those questions. The scientific method simply isn't designed to address the purpose of things. It merely provides models of the physical world that we can use to better understand it's workings.

The whole Religion vs. Science debate is rediculous in my opinion. Religion and science answer separate sets of questions and I don't see any conflict. People who try to disprove one side with the teachings of the other are confused.

This is the official Conquer Club policy on the matter and by continuing to use this website you hereby agree to believe in both science and religion.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby HighBorn on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:59 pm

lmao.... ok...

Postby freakshow on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:03 pm

lackattack wrote:This is the official Conquer Club policy on the matter and by continuing to use this website you hereby agree to believe in both science and religion.

If I really truely feel that religion needs to go the way of the dodo does that mean I get banned.
Whats wrong with realizing somethings just are. Like gravity. We can't do jack shit about it, it just is and has always been it's not caused by something it just is.
"CAN YOU DIG IT?"
-thegrimsleeper
Private freakshow

Postby Hoff on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:08 pm

everything has a cause.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby lackattack on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:15 pm

freaky boy, I was just kidding about official policy :mrgreen:
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Phate on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:16 pm

everything has a cause.

Such reasoning is flawed. . .

If you cannot accept the universe existing without a creator 'causing' it, then what caused the creator to exist?
Private Phate

Postby PaperPlunger on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:19 pm

This topic is purely opinionated, and noone except lack, can change that.

with that being said, so I don't get flamed hardcore...

I actually believe in both religion and sicience, some questions like: "Where did ___* come from" may actually be a question that never gets answered. Maybe it formed from space dust that got pressurized together? who knows.... I personnally am catholic... or christian.. I don't know, but I must say, as I get older and my mmom makes me go to church more, I start to see stuff Inever used to pick up, like how weird standing in a building with 100+ other people looking at a crucifixion of jesus and singing to it really is. Reminds me of a cult... I just think that believeing and showing it is all you really need. Again, everyone thinks differently and has a different opinion.

Here's a fun one: "Religion v. Evolution, which one is real? Or are they both?" let's argue over it!

These are extremely sensitive topics, so lets be mindful of the others who have different beliefs, here that lack!? hehe just playin'.. I don't want to get banned.... :lol:

* stands for god.... lawl
Private PaperPlunger

Postby freakshow on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:34 pm

Now it seems like were starting to get into it, are the two mutualy exclusive, can you believe in science and religion? Is one not the oposite of the other. I feel that if someone is willing to believe in religion to the extent that it doesn't contradict science than they are reasonable. However I feel that for all the good religion does us, offering anwsers to the unanwserable questions, it tends to promote acts of extreme hatred. A religion opporates under the principle that it is right and all others are wrong, the punishment for not believeing is almost always sever. Is it a suprise there for that people with good intentions have slaughtered millions in the name of gods. When something as balck and white as religion is present it's hard to see anothers view as anything but wrong. Thats why I feel that religion is morally wrong, and thats why I avoid it at all costs.
"CAN YOU DIG IT?"
-thegrimsleeper
Private freakshow

Postby medwards on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:10 pm

your not talking about religion. your talking about extremists who go overboard and use religion as justification. the same thing has been done in the name of science to cleanse the world of those deemed genetically inferior. i am not religious but i see the appeal of the sense of belonging to something bigger.
Cook medwards

Postby qeee1 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:29 pm

Religion deals with what is "right" and as such can be used to justify things. Science doesn't, people who interpret science as such are in my opinion following a sort of religion eg. by interpreting what happens in nature as justified for humans, or by seeing particular traits as "better". Science doesn't say either of those things. In fact it the latter case it's been shown that "purifying" the gene pool leaves species more susceptible to extinction.

What is dangerous about religion in my eyes is that you are forming a conception about what is right that is not based in the obvious reality of the world. It's hard to draw the distinction between what is considered extremist and what isn't. Someone who due to their religious beliefs, votes for a political candidate that's (for example) against gay marriage, is impacting on others lives by their religious views.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Fieryo on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:35 pm

there is nothing wrong with religion or science, that is until you add humanity to the mix. humans have the amazing ability to find conflict in most things, this thread is an example. why can people not just accept that not everyone believes the way they do? why can we not appreciate the fact that our own personal opinions are just that, our own?
Major Fieryo

Postby PaperPlunger on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:40 pm

Fieryo wrote:there is nothing wrong with religion or science, that is until you add humanity to the mix. humans have the amazing ability to find conflict in most things, this thread is an example. why can people not just accept that not everyone believes the way they do? why can we not appreciate the fact that our own personal opinions are just that, our own?

because then we'd have nothing to talk about
Private PaperPlunger

Postby Fieryo on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:46 pm

wow, your logic is flawless. i can do nothing but bow to you (me bowing)
Major Fieryo

Postby qeee1 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Fieryo wrote:there is nothing wrong with religion or science, that is until you add humanity to the mix. humans have the amazing ability to find conflict in most things, this thread is an example.

Without humanity there is no such thing as religion or science, those abstract concepts only have relevance as a result of humanity. Also conflict can be productive sometimes.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby PaperPlunger on Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:56 pm

actually, science would still be there, it just wouldn't be called science, it would just be randomness.

Considering constants like gravity and such would (hopefully) always be in effect.

i have so many typos on this keyboard... editing is a bitch
Private PaperPlunger

Postby qeee1 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:26 pm

Depends on your definition of science. To me science is humanity's interpretation of those "constants", not the constants themselves.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Hoff on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:12 pm

Phate wrote:
everything has a cause.

If you cannot accept the universe existing without a creator 'causing' it, then what caused the creator to exist?

the creator being and god, and the idea with God is that he is all powerful and law don't apply to him.

But anyway, its impossible to prove or disprove the existance of god. Its all on what you believe.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby lilwdlnddude on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:16 pm

Phate wrote:

I hate religion but I strongly believe in god. A person into religion sais "oh man i have to go to church aagain.... borring..." or somthin like that. But a true believer puts everything in god hands and loves him and wants to know him. the "creator" just existed. God always existed. There was no begining or end to him. Thats what makes him more true than everyone else that says there god. dont mean to offend anyone, just wanted to get a word in this.
Captain lilwdlnddude

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,