Conquer Club

[GO] Fog of Rank

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby vtmarik on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:44 am

I like the idea of anonymous games, but only in the extension of a "Quick Match" option.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Suggestion: Random/Anonymous Games

Postby Knight2254 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:05 pm

Forgive me if this has been suggested before, but I searched through the archives and found no evidence of this type of discussion.

So, my suggestion, is Random Games.

Random Games would involve joining a game anonymously and not knowing who your allies or opponents are potentially until the game was over. Players would be anonymously matched based on skill level. This would cut down on the team games where the top players just group together and beat up on everybody else.

Some code may have to be written to properly match teams.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Knight2254 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier Knight2254

Postby soundout9 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:09 pm

This is kinda like players just playing with there own skill level so noobs with noobs and high rank with high rank. Lack doesn't want that so i say no.
Private soundout9

"Blindfold" or "Fog-of-Player"

Postby bbqpenguin on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:53 pm

option for Fog-of-Player games

Specifics:
well it is exactly what is sounds like; similar to fog of war, where nonadjacent terries are unknown to the player. instead, the player name, rank, feedback, and any other information that could give away his or her identity is hidden. every player would simply be known as a color, such as pink, red, etc. (specifics would have to be worked out to deal with those epic teal vs. cyan debates). like FOW game, anonymity would be lifted at the end of the game and the identities of the players revealed.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • this idea was actually inspired by this thread.http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49668&start=15. it was noticed that in some games, especially terminator games, high-ranked players were specifically preyed upon because of the high reward for eliminating them. hiding the identities of the players makes everyone an even target
  • this could also be an interesting add-on for non-terminator games, potentially changing gameplay. if for nothing else, it's just "something new" and could change diplomacy and they way people plan and execute their strategies in a given game
  • could decrease high vs low-rank disparity in team games; you never know if you'll be on a team with the conquerer or a coupla cooks-or both
  • as tim says below, it would also prevent higher ranked players from specifically targeting lower ranked player in order to minimize their point losses in standard games
  • as bob points out, this could also be useful as an option in tourneys with multiple clans in them, to avoid ganging up on whichever clan happens to be winning (conversly, ganging up could be encouraged simply by not including FOP)

p.s. i will from now on use "FOP" in my posts to represent this idea, at least until something more clever comes up

Problems and Solutions:
  • it would be conceivably possible to ascertain a person rank by how many points he/she gets when eliminating another player solutions: do not reward points until the end of the game, or keep the points gained hidden from all except the player who gets them
  • even though it wouldn't necessarily be easier or harder to cheat in a FOP game, it might be harder for other casual players to spot people who do cheat solutions: ????

-------

Game is joined, starts and is played anonymously. The only time you find out who you were playing against is after the game is over

Specifics/Details:

-Players would be listed as Player1, Player2, Player3, etc., respective to when they joined.
-There would be no way to tell which player was which until the game was completely over.

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:

Would be a fun way to play a game with a group of players and no one would know rank/identity so there would be no prejudice during the game against higher ranked players, people you don't like, new recruits, friends etc..
I feel this would add an extra element to games in that you could not assume anything about any of the other players since it would be completely anonymous. I'm sure there are holes in this idea since I haven't tried to find any and just thought of it but I feel it is at least worth investigating?
Last edited by bbqpenguin on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:11 am, edited 12 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class bbqpenguin

Re: Fog-of Player games (copyrights to owenshooter for the term)

Postby Ogrecrusher on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:55 pm

I love the idea in principle, not sure if it's workable though.
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby bbqpenguin on Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:58 pm

i'm just gonna go ahead and stick this here in case i need another post near the top. feel free to ignore it :)

Postby Timminz on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:42 pm

As i said in the other thread, I think this is an AMAZING idea. as mentioned, high ranked players can be worried about public terminator games, since they become such a huge target right away. Inversely, some higher ranks will shoot for lower players first, to avoid a larger points loss, in standard games. This option would increase the actual "fair" play and stop people from making assumptions about other players based on their score.
Captain Timminz

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:45 pm

I think "Anonymous Games" was suggested a while ago, but I don't think much came of it, nor did anyone decide to accept or reject it.

I generally agree with the improvements, but with everything good comes bad as we all know. In a sense, this game type could be open to abuse...stacked games of friends/clans looking essentially use secret alliances. Multiple accounts also can be thrown into the mix.

Interesting idea, we'll have to see if it goes anywhere or if it gets stomped and squished. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby bbqpenguin on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:47 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think "Anonymous Games" was suggested a while ago, but I don't think much came of it, nor did anyone decide to accept or reject it.

I generally agree with the improvements, but with everything good comes bad as we all know. In a sense, this game type could be open to abuse...stacked games of friends/clans looking essentially use secret alliances. Multiple accounts also can be thrown into the mix.

Interesting idea, we'll have to see if it goes anywhere or if it gets stomped and squished. :)

--Andy

yes i think as it is there is defenitely potential for abuse (which, if caught, would of course have to be punished accordingly) i'm kind of hoping as this thread goes along some of these problems will be resolved by people smarter than me :)

Postby bob3603 on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 pm

I also like this idea. One use might be in clan games with multiple clans participating in a single game. This will make people play to win the game instead of targeting the clan that is ahead in overall points
Colonel bob3603

Postby Timminz on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:50 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I think "Anonymous Games" was suggested a while ago, but I don't think much came of it, nor did anyone decide to accept or reject it.

--Andy

I'm a little confused. Wouldn't multis and secret alliances be just as easy to spot, by the play? And, once the game is over, the names are revealed, so reporting suspicious play would be just as easy. Maybe I'm just being naive though.
Captain Timminz

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:54 pm

I'm just stating that there is even more chance of abuse than with a standard play.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Timminz on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I'm just stating that there is even more chance of abuse than with a standard play.

--Andy

So, I am just being naive.... I still don't see where the extra chance for abuse come from.
Captain Timminz

Postby Herakilla on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:17 pm

Timminz wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I'm just stating that there is even more chance of abuse than with a standard play.

--Andy

So, I am just being naive.... I still don't see where the extra chance for abuse come from.

the extra chance is there, even if you can figure them out afterwards people will still take advantage even if it means getting banned. they think they will get away with it.

oh and i love this idea, wheres the old thread? i think the main thing is it really relieves pressure on high rankers. only foreseeable problems i see are the potential for abuse and the fact that if you cant see whos in the game your in with you might be joining a game with some1 you hate and the ignore list shouldnt say who is ignoring you if you are blocked otherwhise you will know at least one player in there.

i love the idea of starting 1v1 fop games. lets FOP!
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Re: Fog-of-Player games ( © owenshooter)

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:36 pm

I don't see how this increases abuse. I usually don't recognize the names of anyone I'm playing with anyway; all this really does is cover up their rank, and prevent you from looking that up. Which is a good thing. It'd make things nicer for low rankers as well, because people won't assume you're an easy target from the start.
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby CryWolf on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:16 am

in complete support of this idea
Proud member of Team Bewbiez
Lieutenant CryWolf

Postby BeakerWMA on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:56 am

Love this idea. As long as it takes into account people's Foe list (maybe saying "a player in this game has you on their foe list, please try another" - maintains the anonymity) I would use it alot.
I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.
Captain BeakerWMA

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:00 pm

this would also open up alot of options in the tournament area which would help with a few of them i had in mind... im in full support as well!
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby firth4eva on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:44 pm

I'd say Fog of War is open to more abuse than this. Get your friend to join and you know where everyone is.
Captain firth4eva

Postby lord voldemort on Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:19 pm

i love it
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby DiM on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 pm

i love the idea. of course at the end the players need to be made visible.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby bbqpenguin on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:16 pm

ok, so it's been brough up that there was potential for abuse and more cheating if this was implemented. i tried to think of some way this new method could be exploited any more than any other game, and i couldn't think of any. so, can anyone think of anyway this could bring more opportunities to cheat? that way, we can go ahead and try and think of ways to exploit this game type. go ahead and be devious, use that cheater's midn that i know you all have and have to struggle not to use ;) as things come up, i'll list them near the beginning of the thread along with possible solutions. also, if you can think of any other way to improve the idea, let me know and i'll tack that on too

Postby bob3603 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 pm

bbqpenguin wrote:ok, so it's been brough up that there was potential for abuse and more cheating if this was implemented. i tried to think of some way this new method could be exploited any more than any other game, and i couldn't think of any. so, can anyone think of anyway this could bring more opportunities to cheat? that way, we can go ahead and try and think of ways to exploit this game type. go ahead and be devious, use that cheater's midn that i know you all have and have to struggle not to use ;) as things come up, i'll list them near the beginning of the thread along with possible solutions. also, if you can think of any other way to improve the idea, let me know and i'll tack that on too

In terminator games, points should be calculated at elimination, but not revealed until the end to everyone. Also players should be revealed at the end.
Colonel bob3603

Re: anonymous games, or "Fog-of-Player" games ( © owenshooter)

Postby bbqpenguin on Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:47 pm

ok anything else?

Re: anonymous games, or "Fog-of-Player" games ( © owenshooter)

Postby rabbiton on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 pm

bbqpenguin wrote:ok anything else?

i almost posted this idea myself once. another thing it helps with is issues or perceptions that can be passed from game to game - each game can be played on its own merits as it were. i think this could be a killer feature.
Field Marshal rabbiton

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions