Luxembourg [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Luxembourg Map - Updated 24.04.08

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:25 am

t-o-m wrote:is the colour scheme/pallet blue?
im not too sure about the blue, but obviously its just a first draft,
when are you going to add the terit lines? i dont like the way that its kinda floating, i would prefer it to be in context, i.e. having the other boardering countries visible
EDIT:
also i dont like the way that youve got a big cont, really big compared to the rest, and then a really small one - will that work or not??

The small one is Luxembourg City...the neutral. Regions are divided according to real life borders.

Colours can change.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:34 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:The small one is Luxembourg City...the neutral. Regions are divided according to real life borders.

is luxembourg city a cont. or a terit?
Colonel t-o-m

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Unit_2 on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:45 pm

Make it more of a king theme, its the only place left that still has a Grand Duke.
Private 1st Class Unit_2

Location: Pennsylvania, U.S.A, North America, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm

t-o-m wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:The small one is Luxembourg City...the neutral. Regions are divided according to real life borders.

is luxembourg city a cont. or a terit?

Luxembourg is a country. Luxembourg City is its capital.

Luxembourg City is that white territory that will start as neutral and have a +1 bonus.

P.S. I am working on the bordering countries.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm

Unit_2 wrote:Make it more of a king theme, its the only place left that still has a Grand Duke.

Elaborate more please...what do you mean by king theme?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 pm

• royal
  • formal
  • bright colours (gold/dark red royal colours)
  • gold
  • crowns???
  • hings like that maybee??
Colonel t-o-m

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (3) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:10 pm

t-o-m wrote:
  • royal
  • formal
  • bright colours (gold/dark red royal colours)
  • gold
  • crowns???
  • hings like that maybee??

Hmm, I don't think I want to take that approach.

Besides what do those things mean anyway? Gold? Crowns? What use can they be on the map and what do they have to do with Luxembourg?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Besides what do those things mean anyway? Gold? Crowns? What use can they be on the map and what do they have to do with Luxembourg?

I agree with you completely here. Those things are unnecessary clutter on the map. I think that the graphics on this should be clean and simple. The fact that this map has so few territories is great; I sometimes get sick of playing Doodle Earth, so another tiny map would be nice as an alternative.

I can't wait to see the next version!
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:35 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:Besides what do those things mean anyway? Gold? Crowns? What use can they be on the map and what do they have to do with Luxembourg?

I agree with you completely here. Those things are unnecessary clutter on the map. I think that the graphics on this should be clean and simple. The fact that this map has so few territories is great; I sometimes get sick of playing Doodle Earth, so another tiny map would be nice as an alternative.

I can't wait to see the next version!

Yes, that's what I had in mind. To keep it clean and simple.

I added the neutral territory to spice it up a bit but that's it.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Okay guys I added another updated with the countries surrounding Luxembourg, the territorial borders and the mini map with bonuses.

Check them out on page 1.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:46 pm

it looks ok,
the thing with the crowns and things - i dont want that i was just trying to elaborate what the other guy was saying,
-
textures are good
i dont like the luxembourg city thingy - dont know why, the "1" in that needs ajusting (on the mini-map), the top cont and the bottom cont are too close in colour, the terits dont seem natural - too straight??
the surrounding areas, im guessing that you havnt spent much time on them - i dont like the flags, maybe turn the ocpacity down on them, and the beigey colours dont go with the blue colour scheme, the picture doesnt look good with the kind of screen on the right - at first i thought that was a mistake and a mix up with the pic or something, but now that i seee that it is a key/legend/info bit i think it will be ok (with all o that on)
hmm i think thats all for now, i like where this is going :)
Colonel t-o-m

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:00 pm

I think the flag and background picture layers should go under the actual map layers. Right now you can see the flag through the map; I'd prefer to have the map floating on top of the flag.

The surrounding country's flags look really out of place; I'd remove them or decrease the opacity significantly. The font for the names (Belgique, Deutchland, France) is also very plain and could use a bit of flair. You could consider making it a less bold color, maybe a shade of gray instead of black.

The texture on the map is very visible on the +4 continent, the city, and the two +3's east of it, but not on the northern or southern ones. If there is a texture at all on the map, I think it should be equally visible on all continents. The problem is that the map might look too plain if you cut that, so maybe consider a different texture or an inner glow on each continent similar to the Portugal map.

The coat of arms looks kind of smooshed right now; maybe you could enlarge it slightly? The title wouldn't suffer from being a few points larger, either.

I think that's everything I see that needs improvement for now. Keep up the great work :D
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:23 pm

I'm hearing you guys.

Refining the map right now. ;)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

General Contribution (1)

Postby t-o-m on Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:29 pm

gdgd,
hope to see the next update soon :) ;)
Colonel t-o-m

Postby gimil on Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Would you like the new Luxembourg map to have 18 territories?

Poll runs till Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:26 pm
You may select 1 option

Yes.
57%

No.
7%

No, at least 24.
35%

Total votes : 14
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas