Luxembourg [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 02, 2008 1:26 pm

RjBeals wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
RjBeals wrote:not me. I like the bevel on the region borders. Gives the map a different feel than others.


Actually even I like it and think it makes the map different. Hmm. :-k

I think I'm going to stick with it Andy if it's not such a big issue?


I don't think Andy can come up with a strong enough counter to influence the group it should be changed - but I would love it if he tried!


I wouldn't, so don't give him strange ideas. :) And anyway what group? Barely no one posts in this thread apart from 3 or 4 people! Hehe.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 02, 2008 2:39 pm

I like the beveled look more too :)
User avatar
Captain ZeakCytho
 
Posts: 1251
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:36 pm
Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 02, 2008 3:54 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I like the beveled look more too :)


Thanks for the support.

Anyway I won't be doing any updates for the time being until this map makes it to the foundry. I am quite happy with the way it looks and don't know what else to add to it.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri May 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I like the beveled look more too :)


Thanks for the support.

Anyway I won't be doing any updates for the time being until this map makes it to the foundry. I am quite happy with the way it looks and don't know what else to add to it.

You'll have to keep doing updates (as long as there are good suggestions).

Getting into the map foundry doesn't really change anything. You get the same suggestions and the same people, the threads just moved to a different place.

Keep working on it. they won't move you to the foundry if you quit updating....
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing
 
Posts: 5598
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 10:09 pm
Location: In your quantum box....Maybe.
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 02, 2008 4:42 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I like the beveled look more too :)


Thanks for the support.

Anyway I won't be doing any updates for the time being until this map makes it to the foundry. I am quite happy with the way it looks and don't know what else to add to it.

You'll have to keep doing updates (as long as there are good suggestions).

Getting into the map foundry doesn't really change anything. You get the same suggestions and the same people, the threads just moved to a different place.

Keep working on it. they won't move you to the foundry if you quit updating....


And what should I update? I got no further suggestions. I have nothing further to add at the moment and no one suggested anything else.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 02, 2008 4:50 pm

Well this is a perfect example of how DiM's logic is flawed. He would say that this has no support, and therefore no comments, but that doesnt seem true.

Maybe you could advertise or something. I think some people send a pm to like everyone on the site advertising their maps. Its really annoying, but i end up clicking on it anyway...even if ive already checked the map like 5 seconds ago! (i have a clicking problem)

But dont go on strike, the only real way to get comments is to update. Im sure once a mod checks this over, you will get moved.
Image
User avatar
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 5:11 pm
Location: Doin' it for da lulz.
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 02, 2008 4:56 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Well this is a perfect example of how DiM's logic is flawed. He would say that this has no support, and therefore no comments, but that doesnt seem true.

Maybe you could advertise or something. I think some people send a pm to like everyone on the site advertising their maps. Its really annoying, but i end up clicking on it anyway...even if ive already checked the map like 5 seconds ago! (i have a clicking problem)

But dont go on strike, the only real way to get comments is to update. Im sure once a mod checks this over, you will get moved.


Haha. I am not going on strike don't worry. I genuinely don't have anything to add to the map at the moment. I am happy with it as it is so I will have to wait for further user comments to develop the map further. Also it doesn't necessarily mean that there is something else to update. Maybe people are happy with it as it is like I am for the time being.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby fireedud on Sat May 03, 2008 9:11 pm

In the legend you have written Luxembourg city and its surroundings, is surroundings what it will be called in the XML? If not, you may want to rename it.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun May 04, 2008 4:45 am

fireedud wrote:In the legend you have written Luxembourg city and its surroundings, is surroundings what it will be called in the XML? If not, you may want to rename it.


Thanks but I am not an XML expert so I don't really know what you mean, but I will talk to Yeti about that when the time comes and if there's a problem we'll fix it.

I will worry about the XML later, probably the last thing after graphics and gameplay...let's get the idea approved first!
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby gimil on Sun May 04, 2008 7:42 am

How many neutral units should Luxembourg City start with?

Poll ended at Fri May 02, 2008 1:54 pm

1 neutral unit
2
9%

2 neutral units
3
13%

3 neutral units
17
77%


Total votes : 22
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Luxembourg - Vote in Poll - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby fireedud on Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
fireedud wrote:In the legend you have written Luxembourg city and its surroundings, is surroundings what it will be called in the XML? If not, you may want to rename it.


Thanks but I am not an XML expert so I don't really know what you mean, but I will talk to Yeti about that when the time comes and if there's a problem we'll fix it.

I will worry about the XML later, probably the last thing after graphics and gameplay...let's get the idea approved first!


I mean in the game log, what will the continent be called? Will it be called Luxembourg city's surroundings?

Also the way you have it written in the minimap, it sounds like you have to own Luxembourg City in conjunction with its surroundings to get the +4.
me have no sig
Cook fireedud
 
Posts: 1704
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 pm
Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby gimil on Mon May 05, 2008 10:08 pm

Image

A few points for the road:

1. The dead territory needs some kind of texture or something to break it up. The blocked color you have jsut now doesnt do it for me.

2. The country flags you have included dont really do any justice to anything the way htey currently are. My suggestion would be to remove entirly.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong


Top Score:2403
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class gimil
 
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:42 pm
Location: United Kingdom (Scotland)
Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: Luxembourg - New Update on pages 1 and 6

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 06, 2008 4:44 am

gimil wrote:Image

A few points for the road:

1. The dead territory needs some kind of texture or something to break it up. The blocked color you have jsut now doesnt do it for me.

2. The country flags you have included dont really do any justice to anything the way htey currently are. My suggestion would be to remove entirly.


I am assuming with dead territory you mean the neighbouring states?

I did not add any texture to those states because I didn't want to attract attention to them. The focus is on Luxembourg. Wouldn't adding textures to neighbouring states make the map a bit confusing?
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Colonel Ruben Cassar
 
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:04 am
Location: Civitas Invicta, Melita, Evropa
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (3) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Re: Luxembourg - New Update on pages 1 and 6 [I]

Postby graulenst on Tue May 06, 2008 9:13 pm

The one thing i remember about luxembourg was that lux. city was on top of a mountain (large hill really) if there was some way to represent that i think this map would jump another level for me.

Like the idea and would love to have another small map to play on.
User avatar
Private graulenst
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:53 am
Location: Salem, MA
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (3)

Re: Luxembourg - New Update on pages 1 and 6 [I]

Postby oaktown on Tue May 06, 2008 9:36 pm

Two in the Main, Ruben? You've been busy lately!

As this is my first real look at this, I'm going to throw a lot at you - apologies if some of my comments have been covered.

I have two issues with the beveling between the regions, which I see has already been questioned. The first is that some of the territory borders that collide with the region borders bleed over into the beveling while others do not. The second issue is that I think a bevel or shadow looks best when you're trying to give the impression that something is three dimensional, which is not what you are trying to do here. If the borders were river valleys the bevel would make perfect sense, otherwise not. Plus, to me they look like impassables.

Color scheme: makes me think that this is Luxembourg in an ice age, when really Lux' has a marine climate with warm summers and relatively mild winters. If you incorporated some red in the region colors, it would nicely mirror the colors of the flag.

Bonuses: correct me if I'm wrong, but on a small map I think you need to be extra careful with the bonuses. In a two or three player game (which you'll have a lot of on a small, quick map), whoever goes first will most likely be just one territory away from capturing a +3 bonus, which will mean the game is all but over after round two if the bonus holds. Doodle is wildly popular, and I think is a good example of solid bonus assignment on a smallmap. The only three territory region is a +2, while the +3 regions are four- and five territory regions with three borders each.

The presence of three easy to capture, +3 bonuses also makes the Luxembourg city bonus moot. Why waste armies hitting a neutral for a +1 when I can hit one enemy territory and obtain a +3 region? I'd drop all of the three territory regions down to a +2, max.

And why is everybody beveling around the outside of their maps these days? This, India, etc. Makes it look like the entire country has sunk, which would be fine if this was a Holland map. ;)
User avatar
Captain oaktown
 
Posts: 4552
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:24 pm
Location: majorcommand
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron
Login