Conquer Club

Cyprus - map on page 1 & 5 [I]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Cyprus - map on page 1 & 5 [I]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:46 am

Stamps:

Cyprus

Territories: 28 (8 start as neutral)
Regions: 6 (there are also 2 military bases which can theoretically be considered a mini region made up of 2 territories)
Neutrals: Nicosia (capital city - 3), Kyrenia, Famagusta, Larnaca, Limassol, Paphos (regional capitals - 2) and Akrotiri, Dhekelia (British Military Bases - 2)
Bonuses: Capital City: +1, Regional Capitals: Hold 3 = +1, Hold 4 = +2, Hold 5 = +4, British Military Bases: Hold 2 = +1
Special Bonuses: Hold all Greek regions: additional +2, Hold all Turkish regions: additional +2
Impassable Objects: UN Buffer Zone (can only be crossed from Nicosia and Dhekelia)
Notes: British Military Bases can attack each other

Version 1.8 - Updated mini map and bonus legend, moved Nicosia army circle on top of UN buffer zone
Click image to enlarge.

Version 1.7
Click image to enlarge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys.

This map is still some way off before I start concretely developing it since I would like to develop my two other maps a bit more before starting it. However, I thought that opening a thread for some brainstorming sessions in the meantime would do no harm.

These are the ideas I have in mind for this map so far:

[*] UN buffer zone acts as an impassable border. The only crossable points will be Nicosia and Dhekelia which is one of 2 UK military bases on the island.
[*] UK Military bases can attack each other. Holding both of them gives you +1. They start as neutrals (2 units).
[*] Nicosia (the capital) starts as a neutral (3 units) stand alone region, with a bonus of +1 for holding it.
[*] Regional Capitals: There will be 5 of these. Holding 4 gives you +1, 5 gives you +2. Holding all 5 regional capitals and Nicosia (the capital) gives you +4. All regional capitals start as neutral (2 units).

Since the history of Cyprus has been troubled by conflicts, up to this day and age, I decided to go for a more goal oriented map. However the idea is for the player to have to work to achieve these goals and be granted a bonus. This is why all the strategic points of the map will start as neutrals. There will also be normal regional bonuses apart from these goal oriented bonuses.

Thanks in advance for your feedback which will be evaluated when the proper development of the map starts.
Last edited by Ruben Cassar on Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 am, edited 15 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: Cyprus

Postby Balsiefen on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:35 am

Well I'm interested for a start, looks like a good map.

My only suggestion for now is on reagonal capitals. holding five wildly spread areas surrounded by enimes doesn't seem worth a +2 at the moment, people wouldn't bother even trying to get four. I would suggest a system more like on Scotland, with a higher bonus for the capitals.

Everything else sounds good though, looking forward to seeing the map :)
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Re: Cyprus

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:26 pm

so the regions and region capitals are already on the map for you :) .
i also agree with balsiefan about the region capital bonuses.
when i lived there, (which is why i was interested in this map :D ) there were a couple earth quakes, so maybe there can be an "earthquake zone" teritory that gives -2?
do the regions give bonuses at all? if not, maybe make a +5 bonus for either side of the wall...
Cyprus is not all about war though... its more touristy... both really... maybe you could accommodate some touristy things along with it too? paphos and larnaca especially.
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Objectives games ?!?

Postby pamoa on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Nice to see you're trying to treat such a delicate zone of the world!
I have one objection about objectives games with very open position as it seems it will be the bonuses are broken very easily and you rely only on dice luck to win. But maybe i'm wrong and your future map will be a fresh new wind in mediteranean see!
let's see some sketches ;)
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: Cyprus - Check out brand new first image on page 1

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun May 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Here is the first draft of this map. Further details about the map can be found in the first post.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Click image to enlarge.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: Cyprus - Check out first draft on page 1 - Update: 05.05.08

Postby t-o-m on Sun May 04, 2008 6:42 pm

the background needs fixing obvs.
the font ur using for "Cyprus" is the same that cairns is using for his egypt maps, just to let you know
i thought that you could have gone for a 'hotter' theme, after all i thought cyprus was a hot place?
ur bringing polotics into this, nice touch i think :)
good start
Major t-o-m

Postby edbeard on Sun May 04, 2008 7:18 pm

I like how no bonus can be held from the drop

I think you need to clear up the part about the two territories that can pass the UN borders.

Do you just mean that they can attack each other? If so, then just say ____ can attack ____

If you mean that those territories can attack through UN borders, then just say that.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby rocky mountain on Sun May 04, 2008 7:35 pm

if ur going to have that wall thing through nicosia, it looks like another territory on the other side. maybe make nicosia like you did Dhekelia: a whole territory undivided.
how come the larnaca region is worth 4?
so the whole greek bonus is only +2? i say at least +3...
lastly, on the key, just put "hold both" for the military bases. there is only 2, so its kindof weird to say "hold 2"
Go Cyprus!

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun May 04, 2008 7:55 pm

t-o-m wrote:the background needs fixing obvs.
the font ur using for "Cyprus" is the same that cairns is using for his egypt maps, just to let you know
i thought that you could have gone for a 'hotter' theme, after all i thought cyprus was a hot place?
ur bringing polotics into this, nice touch i think :)
good start

The background can be improved. I am still thinking about it actually...

As for the font...I use it in all of my maps somewhere...it's one of my favourites. You never noticed before? :)
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun May 04, 2008 7:56 pm

edbeard wrote:I like how no bonus can be held from the drop

I think you need to clear up the part about the two territories that can pass the UN borders.

Do you just mean that they can attack each other? If so, then just say ____ can attack ____

If you mean that those territories can attack through UN borders, then just say that.

Yes, I meant they can attack through UN borders...maybe I need to explain that better in the legend.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun May 04, 2008 8:01 pm

rocky mountain wrote:if ur going to have that wall thing through nicosia, it looks like another territory on the other side. maybe make nicosia like you did Dhekelia: a whole territory undivided.
how come the larnaca region is worth 4?
so the whole greek bonus is only +2? i say at least +3...
lastly, on the key, just put "hold both" for the military bases. there is only 2, so its kindof weird to say "hold 2"
Go Cyprus!

The wall thing is the actual UN buffer zone area in present day Cyprus. Think of it as an invisible border to separate the Greek part of Cyprus from the Turkish part. That buffer zone passes through Nicosia in real life since Nicosia is divided between the two parts. Dhekelia is a British base with no UN buffer zone...that's the difference.

Larnaca...4 territories and all adjacent to other territories. That's why it's +4. Perhaps you did not notice Paralimni which is separated from the other 3 territories by a British military base?

Greek bonus...well yes, they still need to be discussed so I may up that to 3 but I will see what others have to say as well.

Sure I can change the wording to hold both. I was just trying to be a bit more clear believe it or not...but maybe I achieved the opposite result? Hehe.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby rocky mountain on Sun May 04, 2008 10:13 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:The wall thing is the actual UN buffer zone area in present day Cyprus. Think of it as an invisible border to separate the Greek part of Cyprus from the Turkish part. That buffer zone passes through Nicosia in real life since Nicosia is divided between the two parts. Dhekelia is a British base with no UN buffer zone...that's the difference. I mainly just meant that its not very clear that the little territory on the other side of the buffer zone is nicosia... it took me a little time to figure it out.

Larnaca...4 territories and all adjacent to other territories. That's why it's +4. Perhaps you did not notice Paralimni which is separated from the other 3 territories by a British military base? I saw paralimni. i see your logic, but i just thought it should be worth 3... i guess 4 is fine.

Greek bonus...well yes, they still need to be discussed so I may up that to 3 but I will see what others have to say as well.

Sure I can change the wording to hold both. I was just trying to be a bit more clear believe it or not...but maybe I achieved the opposite result? Hehe.

Sunny Cyprus

Postby pamoa on Mon May 05, 2008 4:21 am

As said before i really like the idea. But as t-o-m said it would be nice to have a sunny mediteranean feeling in your color scheme, something like yellow-brown earth tone with olive tree contrast and sea blues.
The inner nicosia border problem could be fixed by putting some check point symbol which will be an interuption of the UN buffer zone.

Go on ! =D>
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: Sunny Cyprus

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon May 05, 2008 11:44 am

pamoa wrote:The inner nicosia border problem could be fixed by putting some check point symbol which will be an interuption of the UN buffer zone.

Would it be more clear if the Nicosia army circle was placed on top of the UN buffer zone overlapping both sides?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 05, 2008 12:12 pm

For some reason, the graphics oddly don't feel like Cyprus to me...!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon May 05, 2008 12:23 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:For some reason, the graphics oddly don't feel like Cyprus to me...!

--Andy

In what sense?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby yeti_c on Mon May 05, 2008 1:48 pm

I'm a bit concerned about the 2 territory choke points...

However on the flip side - I like the gameplay "gimmick" that it provides...

Hmmmm!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon May 05, 2008 1:56 pm

yeti_c wrote:I'm a bit concerned about the 2 territory choke points...

However on the flip side - I like the gameplay "gimmick" that it provides...

Hmmmm!!

C.

I don't think that those will be a problem. Remember the UN buffer zone divides the map in two. There are many bonuses to pursue which will not be affected by the buffer zone. I don't think it makes sense to hold them as a sort of defensive position.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby pamoa on Tue May 06, 2008 12:16 pm

pamoa wrote:The inner nicosia border problem could be fixed by putting some check point symbol which will be an interuption of the UN buffer zone.

Ruben Cassar wrote:Would it be more clear if the Nicosia army circle was placed on top of the UN buffer zone overlapping both sides?

I tought more somthing like a bridge symbol ][ build like walls but if you prefer army circle show it to us!
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 06, 2008 12:54 pm

pamoa wrote:

Ruben Cassar wrote:Would it be more clear if the Nicosia army circle was placed on top of the UN buffer zone overlapping both sides?

I tought more somthing like a bridge symbol ][ build like walls but if you prefer army circle show it to us!

Okay I will show it to you in the next update.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

colors

Postby pamoa on Tue May 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Ah by the way if you really are completly color blind you ask someone help you setting up your colorscheme or make a b/w version it like your signature! 8-)
Cadet pamoa

Re: colors

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 06, 2008 2:53 pm

pamoa wrote:Ah by the way if you really are completly color blind you ask someone help you setting up your colorscheme or make a b/w version it like your signature! 8-)

Hehe. No I'm not "completely colour blind" whatever that means. :) Actually I did not understand what you meant exactly by this comment.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby t-o-m on Tue May 06, 2008 2:58 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:For some reason, the graphics oddly don't feel like Cyprus to me...!

--Andy

In what sense?

in the sense that cyprus is a hot place and your graphics are fairly cold
Major t-o-m

Re: colors

Postby pamoa on Tue May 06, 2008 3:03 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:
pamoa wrote:Ah by the way if you really are completly color blind you ask someone help you setting up your colorscheme or make a b/w version it like your signature! 8-)

Hehe. No I'm not "completely colour blind" whatever that means. :) Actually I did not understand what you meant exactly by this comment.

Then CHANGE your colorscheme in something like yellowish and dark green palette ! That blue in SIBERIAN !
Last edited by pamoa on Tue May 06, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadet pamoa

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 06, 2008 3:04 pm

t-o-m wrote:
Ruben Cassar wrote:

--Andy

In what sense?

in the sense that cyprus is a hot place and your graphics are fairly cold

I already read your earlier post about this. This question was directed at Andy and I'd like him to answer it if you don't mind since he could have meant anything with that comment and not necessarily what you have in mind.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas