Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Conquer CLUB Golf

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which path is better?

Total votes : 0

Re: Golf map

Postby Ethitts on Thu May 08, 2008 10:35 pm

I've updated the map a little:

TaCktiX, I wasn't too keen to change the size of the docks so I tried adding some boats so people will straight away know it's a dock. What do you think? Still look too much like powerline poles? Then I will change it.

I have incorporated the tee's bombarding down the fairways idea. But should I keep it as the whole fairway, or maybe a certain distance (drive)? Say 3 territories? Also, do you think it should be bombard or just attack? Because then your "attack" could be the distance you chose to "hit", bombard doesn't make as much sense.

I have added some "rough" territories which I was thinking could be killer neutrals.

As for the amazon rainforest look, I like it. I have an idea behind the map that could be incorporated to explain why it is so secluded:

Perhaps I could put some offshore oil rigs (probably 2), which are owned by wealthy oil companies that built the golf course so they can play when they are checking up on their rigs. Thus, explaining the secludedness of the course. I figure the oil rigs could be attacked by the docks, also, the rigs and the clubhouse could have helipads. This could provide alternative gameplay and make the golf cart depot not so easy to hold.

Let me know what you think of these new changes and ideas
Major Ethitts

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri May 09, 2008 3:31 pm

As for the amazon rainforest look, I like it. I have an idea behind the map that could be incorporated to explain why it is so secluded:

Perhaps I could put some offshore oil rigs (probably 2), which are owned by wealthy oil companies that built the golf course so they can play when they are checking up on their rigs. Thus, explaining the secludedness of the course. I figure the oil rigs could be attacked by the docks, also, the rigs and the clubhouse could have helipads. This could provide alternative gameplay and make the golf cart depot not so easy to hold.

Umm...I see two things wrong with this. 1) When people look at your map, they won't know this story behind it. The will think: "WTF! Why is there oil rigs a golf course?" 2) If the owners of the oil rigs built this for their own personal pleasure, why would there be a clubhouse? Wouldn't they just make a beach house or something like that. Clubhouses are often huge and would be much too extravagant for a simple private golf course. I still think you should cut out a bunch of trees and just make it open grass, and make the fairways criss-cross mowed.

Also, don't put killer neutrals on the roughs. You are starting to add waaaay too many gimmicks with the tees, decay on sand, and the golf cart depot. It is starting to be overloaded.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Fri May 09, 2008 6:36 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Umm...I see two things wrong with this. 1) When people look at your map, they won't know this story behind it. The will think: "WTF! Why is there oil rigs a golf course?" 2) If the owners of the oil rigs built this for their own personal pleasure, why would there be a clubhouse? Wouldn't they just make a beach house or something like that. Clubhouses are often huge and would be much too extravagant for a simple private golf course. I still think you should cut out a bunch of trees and just make it open grass, and make the fairways criss-cross mowed.

Also, don't put killer neutrals on the roughs. You are starting to add waaaay too many gimmicks with the tees, decay on sand, and the golf cart depot. It is starting to be overloaded.

Ok, I like the way it is now with all the trees, but it appears everyone wants it to open up more so I'll get to work on that. As for too many gimmicks, I think I'm just really wanting to get the idea stamp on this, which is causing me to chuck in as much as I can. Speaking of which, if I open the map up some more, what else needs doing before I get the first stamp?
Major Ethitts

Postby bryguy on Sat May 10, 2008 8:49 am

the thing that annoys me the most on the entire map is the beach. Maybe just (assuming your using GIMP) use a fuzzy 19 brush, and use the sand color, and change the scale until its large

sorry if thats confusing...
Corporal bryguy

Postby Ethitts on Sat May 10, 2008 2:32 pm

bryguy wrote:the thing that annoys me the most on the entire map is the beach. Maybe just (assuming your using GIMP) use a fuzzy 19 brush, and use the sand color, and change the scale until its large

Yea... didn't understand that at all unfortunately. I'm using photoshop.
Major Ethitts

Postby bryguy on Sat May 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Ethitts wrote:
bryguy wrote:the thing that annoys me the most on the entire map is the beach. Maybe just (assuming your using GIMP) use a fuzzy 19 brush, and use the sand color, and change the scale until its large

Yea... didn't understand that at all unfortunately. I'm using photoshop.

ok, which version? and maybe one of the tutorials in Tips Tricks and Tutorials could help u.

cause really, the beach bugs me to death....
Corporal bryguy

Postby Ethitts on Sat May 10, 2008 7:13 pm

bryguy wrote:ok, which version? and maybe one of the tutorials in Tips Tricks and Tutorials could help u.

cause really, the beach bugs me to death....

I'll fix the beach, currently I'm doing a big revamp, so it will be a while until my next update
Major Ethitts

Postby whitestazn88 on Sun May 11, 2008 2:53 pm

start over....

everyone prefers mini-golf, plus that could be made a lot more interesting, with certain areas having different abilitys like neutral reverts, bombardments, special bonuses for holding special places like the windmill on a hole etc.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Ethitts on Wed May 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Righty-ho, I finally got some free time so I have given the map a revamp which hopefully incorporates the changes people were wanting me to do.

Here's what was changed:
Less trees
Water/beach was given a new look
The clubhouse was turned into a continent with a bonus
Clubhouse was given a better look
Golf cart depot is now a killer neutral
All terrain was changed in colour/texture

Let me know what you think of the new look. Sorry Mr. Squirrel, I tried the criss-crossed fairway as you suggested but just couldn't get it looking right, so I'm skipping it.

Edit: Forgot to add to the map the fact that tees can bombard/attack (haven't decided which one yet) down the fairway.
Major Ethitts

Postby rocky mountain on Thu May 15, 2008 12:25 am

i like version 2 best, but it would be even better if the textures were the same as version one.

EDIT: by textures i mean the grass and trees, not the water and beach
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby Ethitts on Thu May 15, 2008 12:36 am

rocky mountain wrote:i like version 2 best, but it would be even better if the textures were the same as version one.

EDIT: by textures i mean the grass and trees, not the water and beach

I feared people would say that because I did prefer the original texture too. But now when I compare the two I do like version 2's texture more as version 1 looks really dry, whereas version looks more like a luscious, green golf course.

It may be that your just used to version 1? Version 2 texture has really grown on me
Major Ethitts

Postby bryguy on Thu May 15, 2008 6:58 am

i LOVE the beach in version 2! now THATS how a beach is supposed to look like =D>
Corporal bryguy

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu May 15, 2008 3:52 pm

Ethitts wrote:Version 2:
Click image to enlarge.

Now that, is a good golf course! In fact, the random spread of trees looks just like the golf course near my house. I like what you did with the club house and golf carts. They look MUCH better than before. The attack lines are much clearer, and the whole map looks brand new. Great update! =D>
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Thu May 15, 2008 4:18 pm

bryguy wrote:i LOVE the beach in version 2! now THATS how a beach is supposed to look like =D>

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Now that, is a good golf course! In fact, the random spread of trees looks just like the golf course near my house. I like what you did with the club house and golf carts. They look MUCH better than before. The attack lines are much clearer, and the whole map looks brand new. Great update! =D>

Cheers guys, I just made a quick change to the map: The rough patches around the greens are taken away, hopefully that looks a bit tidier.
Major Ethitts

Postby brandoncfi on Thu May 15, 2008 4:28 pm

WOW this map look great and I love the bombard from the tees
Highest point total 2774 and a rank of Colonel.
OSA of You
OSA Obsructing Your Sleep
GO STEELERS !!!
Cook brandoncfi

Postby rocky mountain on Thu May 15, 2008 5:56 pm

Ethitts wrote:I feared people would say that because I did prefer the original texture too. But now when I compare the two I do like version 2's texture more as version 1 looks really dry, whereas version looks more like a luscious, green golf course.

It may be that your just used to version 1? Version 2 texture has really grown on me

ok ya ur right about that. version 2 does look great now
the only thing i don't really like is how the trees are all identical.
for the speed golf thing, so you mean the greens as in the place where the flag is, or the fairways as well? i'm sorry, but i'm not a golfer, and neither are alot of other people on this site probably... i also think the bonuses should be about one higher on each of them, except for hole 8 and 5

Postby Ethitts on Thu May 15, 2008 6:18 pm

ok ya ur right about that. version 2 does look great now
the only thing i don't really like is how the trees are all identical.
for the speed golf thing, so you mean the greens as in the place where the flag is, or the fairways as well? i'm sorry, but i'm not a golfer, and neither are alot of other people on this site probably... i also think the bonuses should be about one higher on each of them, except for hole 8 and 5[/quote]

I guess the trees can be changed. Perhaps I can just change "greens" to "flags". As for the bonuses, they are just temporary, they will change once everyone starts talking about gameplay and balancing (if that happens).

Edit: Then again, I will be giving all the territories some good names. So the "greens" could actually be called something like "rosebud green" (depending on what I name the holes). Then people will know what the "greens", "fairways" and "tees" are.
Major Ethitts

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 pm

Ethitts wrote:
bryguy wrote:i LOVE the beach in version 2! now THATS how a beach is supposed to look like =D>

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Now that, is a good golf course! In fact, the random spread of trees looks just like the golf course near my house. I like what you did with the club house and golf carts. They look MUCH better than before. The attack lines are much clearer, and the whole map looks brand new. Great update! =D>

Cheers guys, I just made a quick change to the map: The rough patches around the greens are taken away, hopefully that looks a bit tidier.

Why did you take away the rough? I thought it looked better with it than without. Many courses have a small rough or a grass of different length around the green so that you can tell where the fairway ends and green begins. Why don't you post a picture of both and have people give feedback as to which they like better?
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Ethitts on Thu May 15, 2008 11:28 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:Why did you take away the rough? I thought it looked better with it than without. Many courses have a small rough or a grass of different length around the green so that you can tell where the fairway ends and green begins. Why don't you post a picture of both and have people give feedback as to which they like better?

Done.

I need some help coming up with hole names. First of all I would need a theme, I would like to have the theme of Conquer Club, but then the holes might have weird names. Any ideas?
Major Ethitts

Postby InkL0sed on Fri May 16, 2008 8:26 pm

I preferred the beach from Version 1
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby WidowMakers on Fri May 16, 2008 8:32 pm

It is 40 px too tall.
And just because the large works does not mean the small version will not have issues. You have a lot of stuff in there.
I would suggest making the small work before continuing to make sure all of the content will fit.

Image looks great though

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Ethitts on Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 pm

WidowMakers wrote:It is 40 px too tall.
And just because the large works does not mean the small version will not have issues. You have a lot of stuff in there.
I would suggest making the small work before continuing to make sure all of the content will fit.

Image looks great though

WM

I see what I've done wrong. I created the map to the size restrictions but got the two muddled up. I'll get them to the right size once I've found out which option of my poll I should go with.
Major Ethitts

Postby rocky mountain on Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:50 pm

whats going on with this map?

Postby seamusk on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:09 pm

rocky mountain wrote:whats going on with this map?

I second this. In part because I just tabled an idea for a disc golf map because I saw this.
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby Ethitts on Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:06 pm

seamusk wrote:
rocky mountain wrote:whats going on with this map?

I second this. In part because I just tabled an idea for a disc golf map because I saw this.

I have been waiting for a decent amount of votes for my poll, it's been neck and neck for ages. Looks like Ill be going with rough patches around the green though. I now have to change the size of the map because I muddled up the size and height restrictions. Will hopefully work on it alot next week, although I still need some ideas on hole names, any ideas? Once I have a theme and some names I'll update the map, put on some army circles, then see where it goes from there.
Major Ethitts

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box