Conquer Club

Charleston, SC [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Charleston, SC (Revisited - 1st Post)

Postby yeti_c on Thu May 15, 2008 9:48 am

Yay for Goat Island...

I visited Goat Island once... could've sworn it was in New Zealand though!?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby t-o-m on Thu May 15, 2008 10:34 am

GFX look good enough to quench!
Major t-o-m

Postby cairnswk on Thu May 15, 2008 12:30 pm

[*]I need to add bridges / attack routes between the islands.

Perhaps you could add the bridges as they exist on the google map.
you know...Arthur Ravenal Jr bridge
and the 526 and 17 highway bridges etc.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby RjBeals on Thu May 15, 2008 12:43 pm

cairnswk wrote:
[*]I need to add bridges / attack routes between the islands.

Perhaps you could add the bridges as they exist on the google map.
you know...Arthur Ravenal Jr bridge
and the 526 and 17 highway bridges etc.

Yes - I will add the major highway bridges (Cooper River, IOP Connector...) - but there's 100's of bridges all other the place. I would rather have attack routes that we decide on ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby TaCktiX on Thu May 15, 2008 2:09 pm

Yes, if you see an island, there are likely 3-4 bridges connecting it to others. Purely from the peninsula (tan) to West Ashley (purple continent) has 3 bridges, 2 with one-way traffic near downtown, and another one that goes with I-526 in North Charleston, a spur around Charleston (really helps with traffic a ton).

Here are my attack route suggestions based on where actual bridges are:
- North Charleston to Shrews Berry St
- M.U.S.C. to East Ashley
- NavAl Complex (we're not contemplating navels here, bud, fix that) to Daniel Island to East Cooper
- The Crescent to Country Club
- Westchester to Long Island
- The Cove to Fort Moultrie
- Gibbes to Patriot's Point

Also, you misspelled Harbor Habor.

Attack routes based on gameplay, not sure about bridges:
- Boone Hall Plantation to Gray Bay
- Gray Bay to Wild Dunes
- Isle of Palms to Sullivan's Island
- Bay Creek to Limehouse Station
- Gibbes to Drum Island to Patriot's Point (merge the route, even though the Cooper River bridge doesn't go land on it)
- Battery to Folly Island to Harbor View
- Folly Island to Ft. Sumter to Ft. Moultrie

If anyone needs to know why Charleston is important, just hit me up at any point, or say something ignorant like "it's not important", and you'll find out in short order why it is.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Incandenza on Thu May 15, 2008 3:39 pm

Glad to see you're picking this one back up, RJ...

I like the idea of Fort Sumter being able to bombard surrounding coastal areas, it'll give the map that little something extra...

As far as bridges, well... I can see how that discussion will get a bit complicated.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 16, 2008 2:58 pm

Glad to see you're working on a new map. Seems like this one could be good for triples and quads given the large number of territories.

Does the legend follow some kind of order? I don't think it starts from a region and moves clockwise does it? I am finding the order a bit confusing.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby RjBeals on Fri May 16, 2008 3:04 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:Does the legend follow some kind of order? I don't think it starts from a region and moves clockwise does it? I am finding the order a bit confusing.

Well.. not really. I'm reworking the legend anyway. I just wanted to get it out there so you (everyone) could see the region names.
Private RjBeals

Postby RjBeals on Fri May 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Click image to enlarge.

New Update..

I'm starting to add the details.
I like the water routes, but I'm not so sure about the bridges. They draw too much attention. What do you think? If you do like them, should they all be brown?
This map will need impassable borders. I started with some trees - do you like them?
I'll be adding some rivers for impassables also.
I like the Charleston Title, but I still want to work on the actual legend. The plain boxes don't fit well with the curves of this map. I'm really liking this map - it could be my favorite to date.
Private RjBeals

Re: Charleston, SC (WaterRoutes & Trees - pg.3)

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm

I really like the trees, and the map in general...but i dont like the bridges.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri May 16, 2008 4:55 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:I really like the trees, and the map in general...but i dont like the bridges.

I agree with that. The bridges need to change.

Could you make the water a bit darker? More...water colored? Keep it lighter closer to land and darker farther away, but darken the whole thing.

For the legend box - you could try rounding off the corners of rectangles.

Could you flip the colors of north and south St. James Island? The north part is too similar to East Ashley to my partially colorblind eye.

There's a typo in the East Ashley in the legend.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 16, 2008 5:05 pm

Separating John's Island Park (add those apostrophes and fix the spelling mistakes I noted last post, fool!) from its own continent is bad gameplay in the making. Perhaps change the trees to separate Miller Hill from John's Island Park?

Bridges, you can do far better than that crap. I know that the M.U.S.C.-East Ashley connection is actually two bridges, one-way traffic on each. Right now it looks like God took a massive plank and dropped it between two landmasses. Drag up some satellite imagery and replicate the look of the bridges in actuality. As for color, make it a gradient between the continent it's leaving and the continent it's arriving at.

You're still missing a bounty of connections I noted in my last post, particularly toward the North of Charleston.

In addition to the ones I already noted, add Ft. Lamar - Goat Island - West Morris - Folly Beach.

Edited for comment removal.
Last edited by TaCktiX on Fri May 16, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby RjBeals on Fri May 16, 2008 5:15 pm

:shock:
Private RjBeals

Postby edbeard on Fri May 16, 2008 5:19 pm

TaCktiX wrote:I know you're excited to get updates out and all, but exercise a little version patience.

I disagree. Everyone likes to do things differently. Some people like many updates to get feedback on minor changes and others prefer to do a bunch of things at once. So let the mapmaker do as he pleases. Sometimes you just need feedback on what you're doing despite not being entirely done.

Btw, I don't like the bridges either. I do think it's kinda cool that the map looks like a regular gameboard and someone has bridge pieces that you've placed on the map. Like the players choose where they go for that particular game. Sorry for that ramble. That look doesn't seem to fit at the moment though.

I like how the darker colours have white text and the lighter have the dark text. nice touch.

regarding the legend, maybe just try it with curved edges. maybe that's what your comment was trying to imply you were going to do.

water routes looking good. I like the circles to signify the start of a route. or just that the route connects to that territory.

I kinda miss that boat you had on the old version
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Ruben Cassar on Fri May 16, 2008 5:22 pm

The trees are fine. The bridges need to change. They seem like they are superimposed on the map and do not fit with the background.

The legend is fine graphically. Is there an order now? I cannot find Isle of Palms. This might be due to colour blindness though.

I like those waves in the sea. Nice touch.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri May 16, 2008 5:34 pm

I think the trees are a pretty good start for the impassable borders. Although, perhaps mix them up just a little bit as far as color and style are concerned. Make it look more like a real forest, a few with pointy tops, a few with rounded tops, and a variation of different shades of green perhaps? Nothing too drastic, just break up the repetitive round shape of the tree-tops a little bit.

Also, did anyone else notice that you have effectively split Johns Island Park away from the other three territories that make up North St. Johns Island? I think you may want to either switch the color of Johns Island Park with that of Miller Hill, or find a slightly different place to put those trees. Splitting up that continent that way seems to be a little counter-intuitive if you ask me.

EDIT: I just thought of another option. You could just make Johns Island Park part of South St. Johns Island and switch the bonuses for North and South St. Johns Island if you wanted. Then the tree location problem would be fixed.

Are you planning on connecting the islands in continents such as Folly Beach with some sort of smaller version of the bridges perhaps? Right now it is a little misleading as to exactly how they connect, but I'm thinking that perhaps you haven't finished all the connections just yet, right?

As for the bridges, I am 50-50 on whether I like them or not. I think they should all be one color, brown most likely, and if you use bridges within the continents make them a similar color to the continent they are residing within.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby t-o-m on Fri May 16, 2008 6:25 pm

[adv. idea]
from tom
Major t-o-m

Postby RjBeals on Fri May 16, 2008 7:35 pm

Tac - I will fix the spelling of Harbor on the next update.

Incandenza wrote:I like the idea of Fort Sumter being able to bombard surrounding coastal areas, it'll give the map that little something extra...

We'll see. Fort Sumter is like the center of the map. I'm not sure about this yet.

Ruben Cassar wrote:Does the legend follow some kind of order?

Not really. It's kind of Left to Right. Would you think a minimap would work better with so many different shades of colors?

Kaplowitz, ZeakCytho, TaCktiX, edbeard, Optimus...
The bridges as they are now.... will be no longer.

ZeakCytho wrote:Could you make the water a bit darker? More...water colored? Keep it lighter closer to land and darker farther away, but darken the whole thing.

That's more of a personal preference. I worked a lot on trying to add subtle patterns to the water - but it just didn't work. There are too many rivers. I also tried darker water, and it clashed too much with the lands. I added a slight gradient so the water actually does get darker as it goes out to sea - I can try to deepen that a bit. But overall, I think I'm not adding patterns to this map (both land & sea). I want an easy on the eye, 60 territ map, with clear territories, and clear attack routes.

ZeakCytho wrote:Could you flip the colors of north and south St. James Island?
&
There's a typo in the East Ashley in the legend.

Sure.
&
Woopps - I'll get that next.

TaCktiX wrote:Separating John's Island Park (add those apostrophes and fix the spelling mistakes I noted last post, fool!) from its own continent is bad gameplay in the making. Perhaps change the trees to separate Miller Hill from John's Island Park?

I didn't even notice that. Again, sometimes I get mired in the details, I lose site of the big picture. I'll adjust either the trees or the territories so they are not separated.

edbeard wrote:I kinda miss that boat you had on the old version
Sorry man - I would have liked it also, but I just couldn't get it to work.

Optimus Prime wrote:I think the trees are a pretty good start for the impassable borders. Although, perhaps mix them up just a little bit as far as color and style are concerned. Make it look more like a real forest, a few with pointy tops, a few with rounded tops, and a variation of different shades of green perhaps? Nothing too drastic, just break up the repetitive round shape of the tree-tops a little bit.

Hmmm... The whole style of this map is looking very vector based, as opposed to raster like most maps are. I kind of think the circle tree's all of the same size kind of fit the style. However, I'll work on giving them some more variety. Maybe a few pines in there would be kind of cool.

Also - I'm not done with water attack routes and island connectors. I just posted this update to get some feedback, mainly on the bridges, which was loud and clear. Thanks everyone.
Private RjBeals

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 16, 2008 7:37 pm

The words "Charleston, South Carolina" have no hook for me. But luckily maps aren't like text on a page, and the graphics and game play may just win me over... ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 16, 2008 7:40 pm

I like the actual text of the title, but i dont like the image of SC. It looks really out of place.

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 16, 2008 7:46 pm

That's the shape of the state, and I think it's fine there. I think the star could be less prominent, as it gives a "cheese" look to the map that doesn't really suit Charleston's historic character. Perhaps age that?
Last edited by TaCktiX on Fri May 16, 2008 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kaplowitz on Fri May 16, 2008 7:50 pm

TaCktiX wrote:That's the shape of the state, and is good. I think the star could be less prominent, as it gives a "cheese" look to the map that doesn't really suit Charleston's historic character. Perhaps age that?

It could still look like SC and fit the theme of the map better ;)

Postby RjBeals on Fri May 16, 2008 9:25 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The words "Charleston, South Carolina" have no hook for me. --Andy

Hmmm.. Maybe change the title to Low Country ? Or are you speaking of the actual city. Charleston is not as famous as LA or New York, but if the game is fun, you're down? Any comments so far on the style? Or I guess your style is to wait until the foundry picks it over, then comment ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Fri May 16, 2008 9:27 pm

[Adv. idea]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 16, 2008 9:34 pm

RjBeals wrote:Hmmm.. Maybe change the title to Low Country ? Or are you speaking of the actual city. Charleston is not as famous as LA or New York, but if the game is fun, you're down? Any comments so far on the style? Or I guess your style is to wait until the foundry picks it over, then comment ;)

Low Country perhaps, but then that seems to do a disservice to the area...would a large number of people know where you are reffering to? :)

I'll comment more when it wanders in the Main Foundry. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas