Conquer Club

New Map Format...

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New Map Format...

Postby Hoff on Mon May 01, 2006 7:37 pm

So this is a rough rough draft of an idea i had for a map. The idea being that the outside territories be extremely easy to hold but only worth 2 or 3. And the middle territory worth something like 7 or 8. And that thing in the middle would be an airport where you would be able to attack the border countries of the outside territories.

I know the map is unorthodox, but it is something new. If you guys like the idea that it might bring upon a new style of game play let me know and i'll work on it some more. The borderes i drew in quickly just to give you guys an idea of what i'm talking about. So let me know what you think and if its worthy of working on.

I know Marv wont like it, haha.

Sergeant Hoff

Postby areyouincahoots on Mon May 01, 2006 7:38 pm

Interesting...but dark. Lighten it up a bit...
Private 1st Class areyouincahoots

Postby Mr. K on Mon May 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Hmm... Could be interesting. I suggest making the airport always a neutral territory to begin with. Would the rest of the map still be a random draw, or would you have like the green player automatically start in the green territory? Hopefully it'd still be random, or else most game wouldn't really be very strategic.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 01, 2006 7:43 pm

The new maps that stray away from Geographical features are unique. I'm afraid though as of now I prefer those current types of maps. This map, as it looks now, seems to have little strategy involved--seemingly relying on how lucky dice rolls are or quick card set encounters. Perhaps there is some interest into this new horizon, but this map's play style doesn't seem that fun. But no worries, keep looking into new ideas.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Hoff on Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 pm

areyouincahoots wrote:Interesting...but dark. Lighten it up a bit...

Yea i just made it in photoshop really quick just to get the basic shape and idea out there. If people like the idea i'll work more on the visual later.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Hoff on Mon May 01, 2006 7:48 pm

Mr. K wrote:Hmm... Could be interesting. I suggest making the airport always a neutral territory to begin with. Would the rest of the map still be a random draw, or would you have like the green player automatically start in the green territory? Hopefully it'd still be random, or else most game wouldn't really be very strategic.

I wouldnt know how to place green in green anyway. So I dont think i'll do anything like that. I just like the idea of everyone having their own, equal stronghold, but the strongholds wont be given to them. And whoever can build up and make their move at the right time. I think it would be interesting to play a game like that. I do like having the airport start off as neutral tho, but i'll worry about that if people like the map.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Hoff on Mon May 01, 2006 7:50 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:The new maps that stray away from Geographical features are unique. I'm afraid though as of now I prefer those current types of maps. This map, as it looks now, seems to have little strategy involved--seemingly relying on how lucky dice rolls are or quick card set encounters. Perhaps there is some interest into this new horizon, but this map's play style doesn't seem that fun. But no worries, keep looking into new ideas.

--Andy

Of course there is strategy, the same amount on any other game. Its just a complete different strategy. You might try to get a territory and make it impenitrable. Or you might go for the airport and attack anyone you want. The strategy is just different the the more traditinal maps.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 01, 2006 7:51 pm

Strategy smatagey. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Fieryo on Mon May 01, 2006 8:03 pm

i like the fact that you are pushing the envelope and i am a fan, i would suggest making it more in depth, beyond the simple shapes and low country count you have now (which im sure you will), but beyond that, you have offically intriguied me.
Major Fieryo

Postby HighBorn on Mon May 01, 2006 8:16 pm

id play it.. course i play em all:)
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Marvaddin on Mon May 01, 2006 8:21 pm

Im with Andy... little strategy.
Major Marvaddin

Postby rocksolid on Mon May 01, 2006 8:42 pm

Little strategy, huh? There's a little game called Go that might just be the greatest game of pure strategy ever invented by the ingenuity of humanity...it has a fairly simple layout...I think this map, properly played, could involve the most strategy of all.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Hoff on Mon May 01, 2006 8:48 pm

rocksolid wrote:Little strategy, huh? There's a little game called Go that might just be the greatest game of pure strategy ever invented by the ingenuity of humanity...it has a fairly simple layout...I think this map, properly played, could involve the most strategy of all.

thanks rocksolid
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Jota on Tue May 02, 2006 1:57 am

This is a lot like one of the ideas that turned into the Space map (think "Warp Gates" for that middle area). I'd like to see what direction you take it in. Will the final version represent terrain/something else, or will it remain abstract?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby HighBorn on Tue May 02, 2006 2:02 am

yeah what he said.... 8)
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Return to Foundry Discussions