Conquer Club

Charleston, SC [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Charleston, SC (New Legend, Pg-5) [I]

Postby t-o-m on Mon May 26, 2008 11:07 am

RjBeals wrote:
gimil wrote:Image

:D

Thanks Gimil !!

congratzz :)
Major t-o-m

Postby gimil on Mon May 26, 2008 11:09 am

Soory im a little late with the stamp RJ, been a little busy.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Tue May 27, 2008 11:27 am

UPDATE: NEW COLORS
Click image to enlarge.

PREVIOUS
Click image to enlarge.

mibi wrote: This map looks great, nice and clean, but its a little lifeless.

Does this help? Bolder color scheme. I'm going to work on the title as well. I still don't think I'm adding trees or ships. I like the brushed look of the ocean now.

The original colors were supposed to be soft and pastel - which is more of a charleston feel then the new bold colors - but nobody will realize that anyway. It's all about first impressions. Plus, some of the greens are kind of similar, but I think since it's an island theme, and the mini-map will clearly show bonus regions, It shouldn't be a problem. I don't want blues or purples as colors.
Private RjBeals

Re: Charleston, SC (Bold Colors Update, Pg-7) [I]

Postby t-o-m on Tue May 27, 2008 11:42 am

to me it isnt very clear which continent daniel island is on...because its kind of in the middle of the two regional colours - unless its not part of any cont?

anyway i love the new colours :)
looking forward to future updates - sorry ive not added very much but im tired lol.

well done :)
Major t-o-m

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue May 27, 2008 12:42 pm

I don't know about the new color scheme, RjBeals...

I was really in love with the more pastel scheme because it seems to be very true to your "feel" as a map designer in my mind. Perhaps I am the only person who feels that way though, I don't know. I think you could make the continents more distinct with the old scheme with a little tweaking, rather than go for a whole new approach.

With that said, the new scheme works well enough, although Daniel Island does seem to stick out a bit like a sore thumb from the rest of it's continent. Working within the new scheme, I think that North Charleston, Historic District, Mount Pleasant, and East Cooper don't seem to fit with the feel of the rest of the colors.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby TaCktiX on Tue May 27, 2008 2:13 pm

That's not Charleston in those colors. I agree with Optimus that you can use the old scheme (keep the brushed ocean though, that's bling) and tune it up just a smidge. There's a difference between making changes to increase the map's appeal, and then making changes that rip the heart and soul of the map's theme out of the map.

In changes I do like, the new bridges look very nice.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue May 27, 2008 3:51 pm

I like the new colors better, personally, but if they're not as much in the style of Charleston as the old ones, then go with the old ones.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Kaplowitz on Tue May 27, 2008 3:52 pm

i prefer the old ones, they were great
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue May 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Old colours were much much better.

And besides the new colours are not easy to distinguish for me.

If you're trying to add some "life" to the map try adding some trees, boats or some other structures. However the map looked fine to me as it was before this last update.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby RjBeals on Tue May 27, 2008 7:39 pm

I hear you all. I'll work out something - however I just got word I'll be doing some traveling the next 2 months. I've had a lot of free time recently to screw around with this map, but that's about to change. Production will slow - which may not be a bad thing.
Private RjBeals

Postby mibi on Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 pm

Yeah the pastels are definitely where its at. When I think of Charleston I think of vacation and relaxing. The pastels work in that sense. This is a great map with lots of little bonuses so i am sure It will be very popular. Whats not to like? Seriously, some people get a little caught up in the future of map making that they lose a sense the foundation that this map represents.

It still needs a boat or two though.
Captain mibi

Postby RjBeals on Fri May 30, 2008 8:43 pm

mibi wrote:...some people get a little caught up in the future of map making that they lose a sense the foundation...

I've quoted that passage because I think it's more true than you think. I'll hijack my own thread - from just reading through a lot of the foundry recently, I think we are nit-picking too much. Even though I'm getting burned out on CC, I still think I represent a good portion of the community. Looking through http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/ theres only about 10 or 12 maps that I really truly like. Even though the xml can do a lot of cool stuff, I think that most CC'ers like the classic game play. And most would prefer more maps in that vein. And I think that gameplay comes before graphics. Just because a map sits in the foundry for 6 months, while we scrutinize the graphics tooth and nail, doesn't mean the map will be enjoyed in general play. I've been sitting here for a long time trying to figure out a good color scheme for this map, and it all leads me back to the pastels. I've got ton's of drafts on my laptop since that last bold update I've posted. I've even asked my wife for help, who has no interest in CC whatsoever.

I don't know guys - I think I'm in need of a CC break overall. Not to go Coleman style, but just lay low maybe. I haven't won a game in months probably, and I'm not getting the satisfaction out of Charleston that I did from Italy / Dustbowl or Iceland. Maybe I'll put this on vacation again and attempt something completely different?
Private RjBeals

Postby mibi on Fri May 30, 2008 9:13 pm

RjBeals wrote:
mibi wrote:...some people get a little caught up in the future of map making that they lose a sense the foundation...

I've quoted that passage because I think it's more true than you think. I'll hijack my own thread - from just reading through a lot of the foundry recently, I think we are nit-picking too much. Even though I'm getting burned out on CC, I still think I represent a good portion of the community. Looking through http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/ theres only about 10 or 12 maps that I really truly like. Even though the xml can do a lot of cool stuff, I think that most CC'ers like the classic game play. And most would prefer more maps in that vein. And I think that gameplay comes before graphics. Just because a map sits in the foundry for 6 months, while we scrutinize the graphics tooth and nail, doesn't mean the map will be enjoyed in general play. I've been sitting here for a long time trying to figure out a good color scheme for this map, and it all leads me back to the pastels. I've got ton's of drafts on my laptop since that last bold update I've posted. I've even asked my wife for help, who has no interest in CC whatsoever.

I don't know guys - I think I'm in need of a CC break overall. Not to go Coleman style, but just lay low maybe. I haven't won a game in months probably, and I'm not getting the satisfaction out of Charleston that I did from Italy / Dustbowl or Iceland. Maybe I'll put this on vacation again and attempt something completely different?

You can work on Skyscraper! with me, once the blueprints are done. But yeah, I have noticed your score go to shit. Take a break broheim.
Captain mibi

Postby TaCktiX on Fri May 30, 2008 10:28 pm

Go back to the pastels, ignore the doubters, and go forward. The ability to stand your ground is sometimes a necessary part of being a mapmaker. You've got equal portions people saying "keep it as it was" and equal portions saying "zomg, cool bold". In such a case, it's YOUR decision. Make the choice you feel is best (Which you have already alluded to).
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat May 31, 2008 7:08 am

No vacation for you RJ! :p

Keep the old colour scheme and move on. It was fine. Just add some eye candy here and there like trees and boats. I'm sure you'll do fine.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:11 am

How about these colors?
Click image to enlarge.

Previous Colors that most people disliked:
Click image to enlarge.

Original Pastel Colors:
Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:23 am

I think the latest colour are another step in the right direction, good work EJ =D>

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Charleston, SC (Even Newer Colors Update, Pg-8) [I]

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:57 am

RJ,

it is looking good. i'm looking forward to playing on this. A couple of comments on graphics.

I like the idea of putting the streets in, but it looks a little too much like a circuit board. Might want to try different lines.

The ocean looks too artificial to me. Those lines should have less opacity or something.

The new colors look good.
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby Coleman on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:58 am

The latest suggested colors you posted are ace.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:59 am

The wave lines or the light brush strokes on the water ?
Private RjBeals

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:00 am

RjBeals wrote:The wave lines or the light brush strokes on the water ?

I say go with the brush strokes. The latest colors work just fine with me. :)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:02 am

ON the idea of roads, maybe making all the roads prefent in real like appear on the map would add a little more flavour and reduce the "flat" comments.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 am

gimil wrote:ON the idea of roads, maybe making all the roads prefent in real like appear on the map would add a little more flavour and reduce the "flat" comments.

That's just it.. I don't feel this map is flat at all? And is it the coastline, so in reality, it's extremely flat anyway. Why would I want roads cluttering up this map? I wanted a very simple, fun big (60 territs) map, with lots of bonuses. I don't want roads. They work on the LA map, but I don't want them here. I only put the grid roads in the yellow historic district because that's the main downtown area.

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby Optimus Prime on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:24 am

gimil wrote:ON the idea of roads, maybe making all the roads prefent in real like appear on the map would add a little more flavour and reduce the "flat" comments.

I'll have to disagree with you here, gimil. Adding a bunch of roads to this map isn't going to be consistent with the feel that is being created at the moment. Simple and straightforward is what we need. The last batch of 8 maps to get quenched had not a single classic gameplay style map included. I understand a lot of players like the fancy gameplay but there are a lot of us that wish there were more standard gameplay maps out there. Simple territories and continents with no gimmicks.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby gimil on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 am

Im just saying I would like to see those little discret roads all over the map.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas