Conquer Club

Forbidden City [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Forbidden City [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:01 pm

THE FORBIDDEN CITY

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pathway Assist
Click image to enlarge.

Current Version 30
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Original Version2 [Build]
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... y_V02S.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... _V01dS.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... _V01cS.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... _V01bS.jpg
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282 ... y_V01S.jpg

Background
The Forbidden City was started in the Ming Dynasty, and over the years due to the court influences and wars at the time, has been undergoing change and refurbishment. Even today, restoration still takes place.
Over the centuries, there have of course been many attacks on the Forbidden City - its buildings and populous by Peasants, The Imperial Armies, The Boxers and The Nationalist and Foreigners.
This map is loosely based around those external attacks - mainly the the period of the Boxer Rebellion and the Nationalist uprising of 1912-1913.

There were of course internal struggles within the Court. The Ministers, the Empresses, the Wives and Princes, as well as the Eunuchs all played games of "Dangerous Liasions" and intrugue far more sinister than anything thought up by Augustus' wife Livia and her family "plots".

Eunuchs were also castrated - each Eunuch was knifed in the neighbouring doctors surgery just outside the wall of the Forbidden City, their Testicles and Penis was cut off to preserve and ensure the Heir lineage of the Emperor - who by the way because of Confucianism mostly despised the very being of their castrated servants.
So this aspect will be woven into the plot also. I'm sure some players will enjoy conquering someone's "parts" to gain a bonus.

1. The number of territories currently on the map.

a. Dynastys
2 from each Dynasty - 4
The Dynastys represented here are the Ming and Qing eras; the Mings being the first Emperors to establish the Palace, and this was later taken over by the Manchurians (the Qing).
The Ming dynasty is represented at the bottom of the map by two Emperors: Cheng-tsu and XianZong
The Qing dynasty is represented at the bottom of the map by the Dowerager Empress T'zu Hsi, and the Last Emperor of China Pu Yi (I knew I could work that option from the poll in here somewhere).

b. Boxers - 4
This includes Prince Juan from Dowager Empress T'zu Hsi court who supported the Boxer Rebellion.

c. Foreign Misionaries - 3
These were responsible in large part for the Boxer Rebellion

d. The Nationalist and Kuimintang- 3
These overran the Last Emperor Pu Yi

e. The 8 Nation Alliance - 8
These nations were responsible for putting down the Boxer Rebellion and forcing China to open up her doors

f. The Peasants and The Imperial Army - 3
The peasants overran the Forbidden City during the reigns of the Ming Emperors until their coupe was squashed. This this link.

g. Eunuchs - 10
Eunuchs have been mentioned previously and are part of important gameplay.

h. Imp Garden 2
There were several of these, but only two are included as added bonus

i. The Towers - 4
The towers are features of the Forbidden City and are features in this game, are are given bombardment capabilities.

j. Ext Gates - 9
There are normally only 4 external gates, but these have been expanded to 9 (a lucky number in China mythology) so iu am hoping they will prove lucky in the gameplay.

k. Outer Court - 8
The City is divided into the Inner and Outer Court areas.
The major events occurred in the Outer Court, and because they have access to three of the gateways (7 in total) this area has been divided into 8 territories.

l. Great Halls - 9
Again using the lucky number 9, these could be very important in gameplay.

m. Palaces - 10
This is where the Emperor and the rest of his court lived.

n. Priests - 2
Groups for easy territory to gain

o. Inner Court 2
Each side of the Imperial Meridian, they are the bottlenecks protecting the Inner Court of the Emporer.

Total - 81
Lucky number 9 x9 = 81 ( 8+1 = 9)

2. The number of continents

3. Descriptions of any unique features or areas.
1. The Eunuchs have to attain their "private parts" to be a whole continent. The "pao" or "precise" is situated inside the City next to the Emperor's territory; but is connected to the Eunuchs other territories.
2. The Imperial Tester is part of the Eunuchs and connects to the Emperor and Empress.
3. the Imperial Meridian....can be used at any time by the pictured rulers to attack territories along the Meridian.

4. Design
Based around features of Chinese Culture and artifacts...lanterns, houses. and patterns.
This also features the aerial view of the city underneath the gameplay layers to give a background to everything.

Bonuses
Still to be worked out. :)

Gameplay
The Towers should start with 6 neutrals.

Long way to go but Enjoy?
Last edited by cairnswk on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:58 pm, edited 71 times in total.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City [starting preview]

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:08 pm

Woots, teh Forbidden City wonsz! There was a recent NGM issue talking all about China, including the Forbidden City, but sadly I can't track down the article online. You really need to keep up with this trend of starting maps that National Geographic has covered, it's quite enjoyable.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby RjBeals on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:05 pm

This idea actually crossed my mind about a year ago. I think you'll do a fantastic job cairns. Those central harmony area's look interesting.. Let's go for some cool graphics on this - ala bamboo jack ;)
Private RjBeals

Postby t-o-m on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:09 pm

lookin forward to this cairns ;)
Major t-o-m

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:59 am

I think adding Tiananmen Sqaure might be interesting.
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:56 am

Joodoo wrote:I think adding Tiananmen Sqaure might be interesting.

Sorry Joodoo, Tiananmen Square is not going to be in this map.
The Boxers, 8 Nation Alliance, Empress XiCi, Emperors Pu Yi, Cheng-tsu and XianZong are in this at the moment.
There is not enough room for Tiananmen i'm afraid.
thanks for the suggestion though.
Private cairnswk

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:56 am

okay, np
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:58 am

Early impressions say that there is to many bold colours hitting me in the eyes. Im assuming that this will be different so im just letting you know just incase.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:03 pm

gimil wrote:Early impressions say that there is to many bold colours hitting me in the eyes. Im assuming that this will be different so im just letting you know just incase.

probably not....these are the colours of the Forbidden City.
But i will try not to have too much distress on everyone eyes.
Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V1b [starting preview]

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:09 pm

One thing important to this gameplay, is that the Eunuchs will be required to gain their "pao" (or private parts usually kept in jars) for the taking of the Eunuch bonuses.
Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V1c [starting preview]

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:21 pm

22 armies in the External powers attacking the Forbidden City.

Dowager Express T'zu Hsi (Ci'xi) is also aligned with the Boxers.
Private cairnswk

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:23 pm

cairnswk wrote:One thing important to this gameplay, is that the Eunuchs will be required to gain their "pao" (or private parts usually kept in jars) for the taking of the Eunuch bonuses.

This may just have been one of oddest game play posts I've ever seen in the Foundry. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby cairnswk on Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:25 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
cairnswk wrote:One thing important to this gameplay, is that the Eunuchs will be required to gain their "pao" (or private parts usually kept in jars) for the taking of the Eunuch bonuses.

This may just have been one of oddest game play posts I've ever seen in the Foundry. :)

--Andy

Hehehehe!! :lol: I'm sure everyone will appreciate it. You gotta admit, it's a jolly good twist for the gameplay. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:52 am

RjBeals wrote:This idea actually crossed my mind about a year ago. I think you'll do a fantastic job cairns. Those central harmony area's look interesting.. Let's go for some cool graphics on this - ala bamboo jack ;)

How this one shaping up Rj?
Private cairnswk

Re: Forbidden City V1c [Building Map]

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:05 pm

I liked the city BG from the first version.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:I liked the city BG from the first version.

OK but which part Kap.
There was a light lime green on the city outside the moat, and a dark red on the inner sections within the walls.
There has to be two colors inside the walls to differentiate the inner and outer court?
Private cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm

It looks like you dont have the original one on photobucket any more...

The purple was transparent, and you could see the buildings underneath. I thought it looked awesome.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby cairnswk on Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:It looks like you dont have the original one on photobucket any more...

The purple was transparent, and you could see the buildings underneath. I thought it looked awesome.

oh i've got still that, but i think it will be confusing. i understand what you are saying and yes it did look good.
but in order to get good gameplay out of this inner court section i am going to have to apply artistic license to some areas in order to fit things in.
but this process is not yet finished. i still have more research to do to get somethings more certain as to where they were.
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:19 pm

The concept is great, the idea of outside powers trying to gain control of the City is great.

The graphics aren't that great right now. I can barely read any of the text on the map at all. The colors are at once too bold and too muted depending on where on the map it is. I suppose this is just a side effect of the rough draft, but I just wanted you to know my thoughts at the present time.

Postby RjBeals on Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:23 pm

wwoooo.. purple explosion! Hopefully you'll experiment with some nicer colors.
Private RjBeals

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:04 pm

TaCktiX wrote:The concept is great, the idea of outside powers trying to gain control of the City is great.

The graphics aren't that great right now. I can barely read any of the text on the map at all. The colors are at once too bold and too muted depending on where on the map it is. I suppose this is just a side effect of the rough draft, but I just wanted you to know my thoughts at the present time.

Thanks TaCktix. yes this is only the rough draft being build, and i am re-working the gameplay inner section to correspond better with the actual layout, so thing will change. :)

RjBeals wrote:wwoooo.. purple explosion! Hopefully you'll experiment with some nicer colors.

Well, this is known as the Purple Forbidden CIty, so that colour will remain in focus as the main theme, perhaps not in as many place. The other colours are all representative of the colours of the Chinese court. Some will be tones down and other replaced. Thanks anyways RJ. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:45 pm

The Forbidden City is fairly layered in reds and yellows (gold), don't remember many purples...

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:44 am

TaCktiX wrote:The Forbidden City is fairly layered in reds and yellows (gold), don't remember many purples...

There may not be purples in real life but for your reference

http://chineseculture.about.com/library ... 121297.htm

http://www.beijingservice.com/forbiddencity.htm

There will be some reds and golds as you can see.
Private cairnswk

Postby seamusk on Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:29 am

The purples are fine by me. I think that as long as color scheme makes sense that is all that matters. Personal subjectives about what color scheme is proper don't really tell us what appeals to cc.

I'm not sure I follow what the Imperial meridian is. Make this more clear.

I don't think that the gameplay would work right now. It needs some tweaking. Too few attack connection points to the external areas. I fear that basically it is Das Schlob in the external areas as it will basically be, take a tower. bombard to all get out.

The yellow line looks like an attack line but seems to serve no meaningful purpose once inside the city. This may be easily fixed but just my observation.

There is potential here. I think the gameplay needs more development. I know you are still working on the graphics so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:34 pm

seamusk wrote:The purples are fine by me. I think that as long as color scheme makes sense that is all that matters. Personal subjectives about what color scheme is proper don't really tell us what appeals to cc.

I'm not sure I follow what the Imperial meridian is. Make this more clear.

I don't think that the gameplay would work right now. It needs some tweaking. Too few attack connection points to the external areas. I fear that basically it is Das Schlob in the external areas as it will basically be, take a tower. bombard to all get out.

The yellow line looks like an attack line but seems to serve no meaningful purpose once inside the city. This may be easily fixed but just my observation.

There is potential here. I think the gameplay needs more development. I know you are still working on the graphics so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Seamusk...thanks for comments. you have validity in some points, and i will notice them rather than throw then with the grains.

Of course gameplay needs tweaking as i an still building this map and have not finished the inner court.
too few attack connection points -> unfortunately there was no others with this secluded...it was out the gates as the only points and there was only 4. but i will research further and see if there are other places that i know not of yet.

i think what i will do with the yellow lines is say that Emperor's can attack along the yellow line at any time and vice versa. Please offer up your fix for the yellow line. :)
Private cairnswk

Next

Return to The Atlas