Conquer Club

[09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Postby lackattack on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:16 pm

Ratings

After a lot of brainstorming and community consultation, we've developed a ratings system that takes the best of feedback (i.e. it encourages good behaviour and discourages bad behaviour) and avoids the problems with feedback (i.e. it required full-time staff to settle disputes between pissed off members - which was often a mission impossible). It's called ratings and is fully explained in the Ratings section of the Instructions.

Here are the differences between ratings and feedback:

• Instead of writing comments you rate the member from 1 to 5 stars on four attributes of game behaviour.
  • Next to your username will appear a star followed by your average overall rating.
  • As with the current feedback system, you will only be allowed to rate someone after finishing a game with them, before the game is archived. However, ratings are not tied to any particular game, so you can update an older rating for someone as your opinion changes over time (provided you complete more games with the member in question).
  • Ratings cannot be altered once the game is archived, but they can still be withdrawn.
  • To prevent tit-for-tat ratings, new or changed ratings will be hidden until the game is archived because at that point it is too late for the recipient to retaliate.
  • "Leave Ratings for:" links now show stars next to the username, grey indicating you still have to rate the player, yellow indicating you already have.
  • Ratings are based on members' opinions and Conquer Club staff will NOT review, judge, edit or delete individual ratings.

What happens to old feedback? Since there is no way to fairly translate feedback into ratings, everyone will start off with a blank rating score. Until the ratings system has matured we'll provide a link to view the old feedback on each member's profile. We'll figure out how to drop feedback for good at a later date, in consultation with the community.

Oh, and please be a good sport and earn yourself a decent rating. In the future we will release a tool for members to block those with low ratings from joining their games!

The Wall

Since you can no longer use feedback to leave cute comments for your Conquer Club buddies, we developed a guestbook-type tool for socializing with other players, inspired by Facebook's Wall. Everyone has their own wall on their profile, and anyone can post comments to it! Sounds like fun, eh?

You have complete control over your own wall! If you don't like a comment posted on your wall (or that you posted on someone else's) you can just delete it. You can also block someone from commenting on your wall by making them a foe. Like with private messages, you'll get email notifications for new wall comments (unless turned off from Control Panel -> Board Preferences -> Edit wall settings).

Webmasters: Interested in having a wall on your forum? I've published the code as an open-source phpBB MOD.

Duplicate Start A Game Thingy

Did you know that 48% of public games on the Join A Game pages are duplicates - meaning there are already waiting games with identical settings? Now when you try to start a new public game and there is already an identical public game out there, you'll be presented a listing of duplicates and given an opportunity to join one instead. Hopefully this will trim down the pages of waiting games and make games fill up quicker. You can still start your own game if you insist.

Rule #2 Change

To promote fairness and counter-negotiation, we have changed Rule #2 to encompass all forms of secret diplomacy. That's right, it all has to be done in game chat now. This will require some of you to change the way you do things, but it is for the better of the club. Please take a moment to review Rule #2: No secret diplomacy on the Rules page.

Friend & Foe Notes

As promised in the last update, we've modified Friends & Foes to allow notes. You can attach a note when you add a friend or foe either via the member's profile or via the Control Panel. We also loaded up any notes you had on the old Ignore List to your foes list.

Medals

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
It's not all about score and rank now that we've got 9 game achievement medals for you to collect. Actually, each one is available in Bronze, Silver and Gold so make that 27 medals! Being awarded a medal will earn you the right to display it proudly on your profile and by your forum posts. Check out the medals page to see what you can win. Those of you who already qualify for any game achievement medals will get them after your next win.

ImageImageImage
Look out as well for our line of contributions medals to be awarded to those who've helped make this website a better place.

You can expect more medals to come out in future updates...
Sergeant lackattack

Re: [09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Postby gameplayer on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Thank you lack, does the standard medal count 1v1 games too?
Last edited by gameplayer on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel gameplayer

Postby keithjames312 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:19 pm

Whoop second Post!!!

Cool Thanks Lack
Last edited by keithjames312 on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KeithJames312
KrC Gaming "Here for the Game!!!
Cook keithjames312

Postby zimmah on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:19 pm

nice one, though you should make this an announcement i guess
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby CatronixFilms on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:19 pm

I think I will like this new system. Thanks, lack!
The silhouette in my avatar is the person who has acted in the majority of my short movies. His ConquerClub name is darklemondude. Feel free to harass him.
Private 1st Class CatronixFilms

Postby t-o-m on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:20 pm

W00000000000TTTTTTT!!!!
Major t-o-m

Postby lanyards on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:20 pm

Awsome update. Thanks.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby gimil on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Woo hoo =D>
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Optimus Prime on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:24 pm

YAY!!!!
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby blakebowling on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 pm

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Private blakebowling

Postby A Mans Part on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 pm

I like it.
Captain A Mans Part

Postby Optimus Prime on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 pm

I can leave ratings for 153 players at this moment. :shock: :shock:
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby militant on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:29 pm

Thanks for the update lack :D There is 1 thing on my mind at the minute though, that if a player receives really poor ratings, when this new tool is implemented, then they will no longer be able to play, because who wants to play with people that have a reputition for making stupid moves. I dont get it.
Guys I am intentionally lurking. Discuss; Play mafia, it is good.
Oderint Dum Metuant says: Don't confuse the easily confused!
Sergeant 1st Class militant

Postby Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:29 pm

If you think someone did something very stupid in a game and ruined it for someone, but you don't think they did it maliciously, should that affect your "fair play" rating?

I don't know whether I'll like this system more or less, I guess I'll have to wait and see. I do know that the comments in a feedback system convey a lot more information than 4 specific ratings ever could; it allows people to describe what they like or don't like specifically. So, hmm... it would be nice if I could add an optional "note" to go along with a rating that I leave someone... I know that "The Wall" is for that, but it makes the comments be separate from the rating, which isn't as useful.

Because what one person considers "foul play" may be acceptable for someone else...
Last edited by Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Postby Twill on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:32 pm

gameplayer wrote:does the standard medal count 1v1 games too?

Yes, that counts as 1 unique opponent.

To win the bronze medal, you would need to win 20 1vs1 games or 4 6-person games (5 unique opponents).

BUT every opponent has to be different. So if you played 20 1vs1 games against the same person, that would only count as 1 game towards the medal ;)

The key is unique opponents, so it makes it a little harder to abuse.
Retired.
Please don't PM me about forum stuff any more.

Essential forum poster viewing:
Posting, and You! and How to behave on an internet forum...on the internet
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:33 pm

i like it too! but i am still unclear about one thing: how do you leave ratings for people you left feedback for?
my games wrote:You can leave ratings for 17 members!

there is nothing to click, so what is it for?
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:34 pm

:D Bananas all around. A lot of hard work went into this update. Now Lack, go get to work on the next one. No free time in between!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby DukeToshiro on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:36 pm

I just left ratings for some people, but there was no space to leave a comment in. What's the point of feedback if you can't say anything about why you left that feedback?

Also, what happened to all of the old feedback we received? I'd hate to think that all of that leaving and receiving of feedback was just thrown out the window.
Captain DukeToshiro

Postby eye84free on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Nice updates..keep up the good work..
Major eye84free

Postby alcazar on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:37 pm

Awesome update. Love THE WALL
=D>
Major alcazar

Location: 450 miles (725 km) north of Greenland in the middle of the Arctic Ocean

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:38 pm

DukeToshiro wrote:I just left ratings for some people, but there was no space to leave a comment in. What's the point of feedback if you can't say anything about why you left that feedback?

Also, what happened to all of the old feedback we received? I'd hate to think that all of that leaving and receiving of feedback was just thrown out the window.

What happens to old feedback? Since there is no way to fairly translate feedback into ratings, everyone will start off with a blank rating score. Until the ratings system has matured we'll provide a link to view the old feedback on each member's profile. We'll figure out how to drop feedback for good at a later date, in consultation with the community.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby john9blue on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:41 pm

I love the changes! Nice work, Lack.

The new ratings system is fair and keeps certain people (F.I.) from making mods remove their negatives.

The medals are even cooler, they give an incentive to play more game types. I hope to see more of those. :)
Last edited by john9blue on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby lanyards on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:42 pm

Are medals being handed out one by one? Some people already have them, but I don't have any. And I'm positive I have atleast one.

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Postby wcaclimbing on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:43 pm

I'm getting the "welcome to conquerclub" PMs again, is that normal?
admin wrote:Hello wcaclimbing,

Congratulations on completing your second turn! You are getting the hang of it, aren't you? Did you know that you can play up to 4 games at once for free? Why not join a few more games? You'll see more action!

Regards,
The Conquer Club

I don't want them :roll:
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:44 pm

whats that from? id didn't get one...
Last edited by rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Next

Return to Announcement Archives