Conquer Club

[Official] Middle East REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Official] Middle East REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby Mr. K on Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:22 am

How would people feel about myself revamping the middle east map?

I always hear people complaining about this map and how ugly it is. And yeah, its pretty ugly, but it has GREAT playability, its definitely one of my absolute favorite maps even though its hideous as hell.

Would it be acceptable for me to recreate this map to replace the old one? I'd keep all the same borders and uncrossible boundries, as well as country and continent names (and I'd even use similar colors for the continents), but i'd make it pretty. Would you guys like this, is this allowed under CC law?

Let me know, it sounds like a fun project for me, and much less time consuming than my Eurasia/Asia map would be (I haven't totally given up on that one yet, but i'm not actively working on it thats for sure).
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby DublinDoogey on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:28 am

I wouldn't mind, I just don't see why people say it's so horrible. Is it because it's plain? At least it doesn't have jagged lines and difficult to read names.

Anyway though, like I said, wouldn't bug me either way.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:16 am

I would like it a lot, and same thing to Indochina map... although I dislike it playability, its visual is a shame. I will improve Brazil map too... in the future. :wink:
Major Marvaddin

Postby steve monkey on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:25 am

i dont see the problem so long as the creator of the map consents and the changes meet with the approval of the foundry.

May the dice gods shine favourably upon you.
Private 1st Class steve monkey

Postby Mr. K on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:58 am

I think that "creator consent" thing would be a big problem. Anyone know who Rob Marcus/Spiegel Prime is? I sure don't.

In the completed version, i'd definitely give Rob Marcus' name credit for the parts of the map I kept the same as his.

[q]At least it doesn't have jagged lines and difficult to read names. [/q]
Eh, check out Africa and the tops of Uzbekistan/Tajikstan, there are some funky pointy lines hanging out around the map. And the "e"s always look like "o"'s.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby what,me worry? on Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:20 pm

I LOVE the middle east maps playability and dont think its all that bad looking but i wouldnt have a prob if you guys played with the looks. Make sure to just keep the same borders, names, and everything else. I would hate to revamp my perfect strategy. lol.
Private 1st Class what,me worry?

Postby Mr. K on Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:50 pm

what,me worry? wrote:I LOVE the middle east maps playability and dont think its all that bad looking but i wouldnt have a prob if you guys played with the looks. Make sure to just keep the same borders, names, and everything else. I would hate to revamp my perfect strategy. lol.

Yeah, I LOVE this map too, i'd never change any of the playability stuff, its too good. I just thought since a lot of people complain about how ugly it is, might as well do something about it!
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby DublinDoogey on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:05 pm

It definatly is the most deserving, although I havn't played it recently, and havn't had time to look, so maybe some of the lines are funky.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby gavin_sidhu on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:23 pm

I think your the best person to do it Mr K. Just make sure it doesnt look anything like Alexanders Empire, theyre both pretty much of the same area.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby reverend_kyle on Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:36 pm

Damn and that was going to be my project after france..

but, with Mr. K. doing it it will get done alot sooner.. and will be just as fun...

some things for mr K. to consider...

If you do everything the same place as the original creaor did you dont even have to change the xml.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby happysadfun on Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:09 pm

DublinDoogey wrote:I wouldn't mind, I just don't see why people say it's so horrible. Is it because it's plain? At least it doesn't have jagged lines and difficult to read names.

Anyway though, like I said, wouldn't bug me either way.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby casper on Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:32 pm

Marvaddin wrote:I would like it a lot, and same thing to Indochina map... although I dislike it playability, its visual is a shame. I will improve Brazil map too... in the future. :wink:

Agreed. Indochina would be sweet if it was something more like the Vietnam map on Lux Delux.

Major casper

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:29 am

DONT touch the indochina map playability wise, i love its playability, its different to all other maps and thats why people dont like it. You need different stratergies. Visually it could do with an update, but not urgent, i think it looks fine the way it is, nice and clean.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:16 am

^^^^^ Crazy guy. :shock:
Major Marvaddin

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:34 am

Marvaddin wrote:^^^^^ Crazy guy. :shock:
I suck at Indochina, like most of you, but instead of bitching (is that word allowed in the forum? if not tell me nd I'll edit it out) about it, I try and devise a stragergy to win in it. It's not working of yet, but that doesn't stop me trying.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Mr. K on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:38 pm

So it seems like the majority of you would like this idea.

Can I get a go-ahead from Andy or Lack to do this? I don't see why not, but i'm not sure if i'm really allowed to alter someone's old map.

For the record, I wouldn't change the XML or the borders or the names, so I'd give the original creator all the credit for all that, i'd give myself credit for the updated graphics and nothing else.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:37 pm

I've been in contact with the original cartographer, spiegleprime, and he was enthusastic about having the graphics revamped. The only stipulations are....
  • No border changing
  • No name changing
  • Try to make it feel like an old world/antique parchment...as that was what he said he originally wanted to try to do

So I give you the go ahead, as long as you follow all of those guidelines!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr. K on Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:48 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:I've been in contact with the original cartographer, spiegleprime, and he was enthusastic about having the graphics revamped. The only stipulations are....
  • No border changing
  • No name changing
  • Try to make it feel like an old world/antique parchment...as that was what he said he originally wanted to try to do

--Andy

Alrighty well I intended to do all of that anyhow :-)
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby reverend_kyle on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:04 pm

Mr. K wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:I've been in contact with the original cartographer, spiegleprime, and he was enthusastic about having the graphics revamped. The only stipulations are....
  • No border changing
  • No name changing

--Andy

Alrighty well I intended to do all of that anyhow :-)

Now get a rough draft up

by old world parchment do you mean like the Ireland map?
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Not quite. I think the original cartographer had the old rustic scroll kind of feel in mind. Parchment similar to say the Dead Sea Scrolls, and perhaps corresponding font.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr. K on Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Yeah, I started a very rough version at home, and the key/font fits that description.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Mr. K on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:20 am

heres a rough first draft

Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby socralynnek on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:22 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
  • No border changing
  • No name changing
--Andy

I'd like to ask the original creator where "Antakya" is, I only know Antalya and Alanya...

For old world we have he Alexander's map, although it would be nice if the map looks like an old drawn map!
Corporal 1st Class socralynnek

Postby gavin_sidhu on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:40 am

omg, it is already so much better then the old one, quench it.
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby socralynnek on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:02 am

Can you make it clear in the map that there is no connection from Hejaz to Sinai. It's not obvious neither in the original nor here....
Corporal 1st Class socralynnek

Next

Return to The Atlas