Conquer Club

[Official] Middle East REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby Mr. K on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:33 am

gavin_sidhu wrote:omg, it is already so much better then the old one, quench it.

Well its just a rough draft, and so we can make it much better. :) But i'm glad you like the progress so far!

socralynnek: I'll keep that in mind next time i'm workin on it. Thanks for the suggestion!
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 am

Mr. K wrote:heres a rough first draft

Psh... rough?

haha it looks near finished.

Put a title on it that says MIDDLE EAST!

put map drawn by spiegleprime rob whatever
put graphics by Mr K.
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:58 am

wasnt there mountains on the original?
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Mr. K on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:32 am

Yeah there were, thats one of the many reasons why this is a rough first draft. :P
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:27 am

Some colours are alike, mainly Iran and Arabia, but also Egypt and Turkey. Maybe colours should be a bit lighter.
Borders are too thick, and letters shouldnt be black too, because they are not readable when over the borders.
Could we eliminate that four corners border in Egypt? Maybe a little lake...
Major Marvaddin

Postby socralynnek on Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:35 am

Place a pyramid on the corner of Luxor-East Nubia s.t. one sees that there is no connection!
Corporal 1st Class socralynnek

Postby reverend_kyle on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:15 am

Marvaddin wrote:Some colours are alike, mainly Iran and Arabia, but also Egypt and Turkey. Maybe colours should be a bit lighter.
Borders are too thick, and letters shouldnt be black too, because they are not readable when over the borders.
Could we eliminate that four corners border in Egypt? Maybe a little lake...

AndyDufresne wrote:
  • No border changing
  • No name changing
  • Try to make it feel like an old world/antique parchment...as that was what he said he originally wanted to try to do
--Andy

and I disagree about the borders, I like a thicker border thats about hte size I use in my maps... I also prefer the black font?
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Spiegelprime on Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:37 am

Wow, I'm impressed! I would have worked on something like this eventually, but you've done a fantastic job and I appreciate you taking the time to improve something I loved making. I can't wait to see the finished product...it may get me playing again!
Private 1st Class Spiegelprime

Postby Hoff on Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:44 pm

I agree that the border thickness may be, well a bit too thick. But it looks good anyway. But I like how the map is a tad dark, i like the darker maps, but i know alot of ppl like lighter maps too...
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Mr. K on Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:54 am

Spiegelprime wrote:Wow, I'm impressed! I would have worked on something like this eventually, but you've done a fantastic job and I appreciate you taking the time to improve something I loved making. I can't wait to see the finished product...it may get me playing again!

Hey Spiegelprime! Let me first say, I LOVE your map. Its definitely one of my absolute favorite maps on this site, so well done! Thank you for making it.

I'm happy to hear you're supporting this remake. Good to hear from you!
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Mr. K on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:34 am

I dont really like the water labels, I just put them in to try. I'm gonna delete them probably.

I also added the surrounding 'dead' territory, which I like. Maybe i'll change up the color though.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:25 am

The dead territories look quite nice, but i think they make the water look odd, too flat.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:08 pm

Are you trying to be symbolic with the extremely faded/dark colors, saying that the Middle East is undergoing some 'dark times' of turmoil, war, and upheaval?

Or do you just like dark colors? ;)

It feels a little too dark...and not a good dark like some maps can pull off.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr. K on Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:43 pm

I made it dark, not to be symbolic, but because I thought it looked good, and fitting.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Hoff on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:02 pm

I like it dark, but maybe alittle less dark will please more people, but still keep it on the dark side i'd say.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Spiegelprime on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:19 pm

I was starting to worry that this revamp had died away...but I'm glad to see it's still going. The 'dead' territory and water around it looks good and puts it in context (especially the Caucasia to Turkmenistan bit). A touch lighter might be nice on the land, but either way it looks good on the dark end of things. And of course, the mountains are a must but I'm sure those are coming. I'm definitely loving this revamp though, I'm pleased at how well it's coming out.
Private 1st Class Spiegelprime

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Again, colours of some continents are tooo alike, mainly Iran and Arabia, but also Turkey and Egypt.

Beyond remove the 4 borders corner as I suggested already, I think you can give to Egypt territories those dead areas west of them. And make Istanbul bigger, since we have land to do it.

Lebannon area is too crowded, I think you could rename Israel and PT to just Israel.
Major Marvaddin

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:39 pm

Israel and Palestinian Territories will not be changed per request of the original cartographer. But the 4 corner region might need to be cleared up.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby dcowboys055 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:50 pm

i just wanted to say i love the way its going
XI since August '06
Captain dcowboys055

Postby DublinDoogey on Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Looks awesome. I cross-checked it with the existing map, they have Kurdistan, you have Kurdiastan. I'm guessing the first is correct, but I'm not sure and thought I'd point it out.
Private DublinDoogey

Postby sully800 on Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:24 pm

I really like the addition of the dead territories, and I agree with everyones notion that it needs to be a little lighter overall.

Also I agree with Marv that the continent colors should be even more differentiated. I know you are making them pale and similar to the colors on the original map, but I think they look too similar to each other right now.

Overall though it looks awesome.
Major sully800

Postby Mr. K on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:38 pm

DublinDoogey wrote:Looks awesome. I cross-checked it with the existing map, they have Kurdistan, you have Kurdiastan. I'm guessing the first is correct, but I'm not sure and thought I'd point it out.

Typo, thanks for the heads up.

I'll make it a touch lighter next time, as well as resolve the 4 corners.

The colors are the same colors as on the original, but i'll see what I can do.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:55 pm

I'd say a dark grey would suffice.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby gavin_sidhu on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:17 am

what are you making lighter, the dead countries or the map as a whole? the dead countries are good as they are.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby KEYOGI on Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:03 am

I like the dead-territory idea and the seas, but I think the sea labels either need to go or made less obvious.

It'd be nice if the map was a bit brighter and used a wider variety of colours. It seems like you've got 3 colours for 6 continents.

I think the border lines are a bit too thick. Thick lines between continents works, but I feel they need to be thinner for the countries.

Can you maybe tone down the embossing look to the map? I like the variation of depth it gives, I feel it's a bit too much though.

Lastly, the countries in/around the Mediterranean are very crowded and I think it could be made a little easier to understand which label belongs to which country.

Overall though, I like the way the changes are heading. I think it needs some further tweaking, but that's just how I feel. My map making experience has taught me, no matter how you make it look, people are always going to complain. :)
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas