Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - European Revolution

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you think the Gameplay of this map will work?

Total votes : 0

[Abandoned] - European Revolution

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:19 am

Mod Note:Abandoned - If resurrected, this one must be checked again.

Stamps:

Latest

Old
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... copy-7.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... copy-6.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... copy-5.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... copy-4.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... copy-3.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... copy-2.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... copy-1.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c64/G ... apcopy.png
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/19/ ... urorev.jpg

OK so the premise is this... Europe in the 1500's ish is in the middle of revolution - the peasants have risen up and all governments and monarchies have crumbled into ineffectual nothingness.

Tribes are fighting amongst each other to gain control of their country - and then to unite with their brothers and sisters across Europe.

So - we have 8 main countries.
Britain, Ireland, Holland, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal & Germany.

These are territories in the minimap in the top left corner - and will start neutral (value approx 5).

Each country itself - will be separated into areas/counties/etc. which is where the players will start with a random collection.

Each "county" can attack the mother "country" and vice versa... only "countries" can attack other bordering "countries"...

Uniting a countries counties will glean a bonus.

Each country will have a different number of counties underneath them - I am thinking between 3 & 7 in each - totalling up to around 40 in total.

Information
1. 50. 8 neutrals 42 starting.
2. 8
3. Mother countries start Neutral - and only mother countries can attack each other.

Developers
Gameplay & XML : yeti_c
Graphics : gimil

C.
Last edited by yeti_c on Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:41 am, edited 11 times in total.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: European Revolution - New Map Concept

Postby BaldAdonis on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:24 am

Varying neutral values (like varying monarchy strengths)? Bonuses for all counties, or just for all counties + mother country? I can see the first one slowing down escalating games, as no one wants to break through neutrals to move around, so they'd rather just fight for one country and hide out there.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:35 am

BaldAdonis wrote:Varying neutral values (like varying monarchy strengths)? Bonuses for all counties, or just for all counties + mother country? I can see the first one slowing down escalating games, as no one wants to break through neutrals to move around, so they'd rather just fight for one country and hide out there.

Thats generally the plan. You cant have a successful revolution if you invade another country if you dont conquer your own ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:42 am

Nice idea but Europe looked totally different in the 1500s so you might have to rethink your main theme.

That's a map of Europe with contemporary borders. For example Italy and Germany were not even unified states at that time but a collection of city states and regional monarchies.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:48 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Nice idea but Europe looked totally different in the 1500s so you might have to rethink your main theme.

That's a map of Europe with contemporary borders. For example Italy and Germany were not even unified states at that time but a collection of city states and regional monarchies.

Maybe just take the theme to be more modern. The map we have it decently sized for the purpose so I would rather not f*ck about with borders.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:14 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Nice idea but Europe looked totally different in the 1500s so you might have to rethink your main theme.

All the independant countries in this map had revolutions at different times and eras too - you'll have to kindof assume a parrellel universe!!

The reason why I wanted it 'fairly' old - is so that Northern Ireland can be part of Ireland rather than Britain.

Also - we're gonna take liberties by merging Holland - into Belgium etal - and the alps will replace Switzerland as an impassable!!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:55 am

Here is a teaser!

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby t-o-m on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:06 am

sounds good
Major t-o-m

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:08 am

OK - here's a first cut of the borders too...

This makes 41 "counties" - Not sure if this is a good number - I might remove "lux." as that's the only one that doesn't fit in the space.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: European Revolution - New Map Concept - images page1

Postby t-o-m on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:41 am

could you make britany cut into centre a bit more?
so its less of a vetrical?
Major t-o-m

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:42 am

yeti_c wrote:

All the independant countries in this map had revolutions at different times and eras too - you'll have to kindof assume a parrellel universe!!

The reason why I wanted it 'fairly' old - is so that Northern Ireland can be part of Ireland rather than Britain.

Also - we're gonna take liberties by merging Holland - into Belgium etal - and the alps will replace Switzerland as an impassable!!

C.

Okay I understand. Just don't follow an historical theme then and we'll assume it's a revolt in modern day Europe. Don't worry N. Ireland is not part of Britain, it's part of the UK but not GB. I like the concept.

Btw why aren't you including part of southern Italy, Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily? I think the map looks odd without those regions.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:32 am

t-o-m wrote:could you make britany cut into centre a bit more?
so its less of a vetrical?

Gimil is redoing the borders - my image is purely a gameplay aspect.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:34 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:Okay I understand. Just don't follow an historical theme then and we'll assume it's a revolt in modern day Europe. Don't worry N. Ireland is not part of Britain, it's part of the UK but not GB. I like the concept.

Btw why aren't you including part of southern Italy, Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily? I think the map looks odd without those regions.

Simplicity!! - I do agree about the chop of the right end of italy - Gimil - can we put that back in?

(Note we've also removed various other places - like Iceland - and Scandinavia.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:55 am

Could there be more territories?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:58 am

Kaplowitz wrote:Could there be more territories?

why?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby multiplayertim on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:04 pm

yeti_c wrote:

C.

you will have to go quite a bit further than 1500's to have northern ireland outside british control as the entire island was under british control from mid 1200's on.

love the idea though
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:05 pm

gimil wrote:

why?

It looks a little to easy to get a country IMO.
I think it would be interesting to see this with like 80 territories.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:58 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:
gimil wrote:

why?

It looks a little to easy to get a country IMO.
I think it would be interesting to see this with like 80 territories.

Well - I'm thinking that - we could peraps make another version at a later date - if the gameplay is successful...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Interesting idea, and I'd support a thought of a few additional territories...maybe around 60-64. :D

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm not sure how this would work. If you can't attack out side your country until you own the whole country, then the first person to capture his country (probably ireland) would be invincible. He could freely attack anyone near him, and the other countries couldn't fight back. They couldn't break his bonus at all. The first person to capture a country is almost guaranteed a victory.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby gimil on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:45 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:I'm not sure how this would work. If you can't attack out side your country until you own the whole country, then the first person to capture his country (probably ireland) would be invincible. He could freely attack anyone near him, and the other countries couldn't fight back. They couldn't break his bonus at all. The first person to capture a country is almost guaranteed a victory.

Thats not how it will work the XML wont let it. basically you will have to attack from your capital city to the whole terr in the mini map (which will be neutral) from their you can move into another country. Basically it will be impossible to move into other countries easily without taking one first.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby fireedud on Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Because you have 41 territories (starting), if you add Sicily, it will make the number a lot better. (2,3,6, and 7 player games).
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:02 pm

looks cool. kinda like.... new world but in europe kinda....

i'd also like to see a few more territs... maybe like 42 playable from the start at least.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:23 am

fireedud wrote:Because you have 41 territories (starting), if you add Sicily, it will make the number a lot better. (2,3,6, and 7 player games).

This is probably a very good suggestion.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby yeti_c on Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:28 am

gimil wrote:
Mr. Squirrel wrote:I'm not sure how this would work. If you can't attack out side your country until you own the whole country, then the first person to capture his country (probably ireland) would be invincible. He could freely attack anyone near him, and the other countries couldn't fight back. They couldn't break his bonus at all. The first person to capture a country is almost guaranteed a victory.

Thats not how it will work the XML wont let it. basically you will have to attack from your capital city to the whole terr in the mini map (which will be neutral) from their you can move into another country. Basically it will be impossible to move into other countries easily without taking one first.

Yes this is something we've been talking about behind the scenes.

It's either option

a) Each country will have a capital city within one of the "counties"... From there - you can attack out to the main country...
b) All counties can attack the country - and thus "breakout".

Also ->

There may be room to add in some bombardment rules somewhere for traditional battlegrounds or something - i.e. England could bombard Ulster, Germany could bombard Paris... you get the idea.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Next

Return to Recycling Box