Eastern Hemisphere [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Eastern Hemisphere: Trading Co's on Pg 6

Postby rocky mountain on Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:43 pm

i like it now. its good that the trading co. go back to neutral. i also like how its just bombard, not attack, because if it was just attack, the person in England would be at a huge advantage. not so with bombarding.
i think the russian empire should be 7, not 8
i also think the middle east should be 2, because it has 4 terits with 3 defending... myabe not......
why is it "1920-" without anything after it?
I like this map... :D
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (2)

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Oaktown...sorry if i have come in late on this one....great looking map....but where are the Dutch.
Are you not going to have Indonesia as being Dutch and some parts of Africa also....or is that after 1910???
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby mibi on Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:58 pm

the trading companies look last minute and impracticable. access is all bunched up in Europe meaning only one play will likely put them to use. this geared for lopsided play, which you say reflects reality, but doesn't make for a very good gaming experience.

i have a better idea.
Captain mibi

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (5)
General Contribution (3)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:48 pm

I'd still want the trading companies to be attacked by two territories (the ships would have had two boarding ports - one at each end of the journey ;-)).

At the moment, Europe is just TOO powerful for this map :-( #-o
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Isn't French West Africa a French colony?
Lieutenant Joodoo

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)

Postby gho on Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:39 pm

Great map, love the idea of the killer neutral ships. I dont know if you igneored this for playability reasons, but Germany had a colony on New Guinea until WW1, when Australia captured it. This might work if you remove the british link with new zealand in favour for the german link to new guinea.

You might also want to rename the chinese empire to Qing dynasty, but that collapsed in 1912 so chinese empire works also.
Lieutenant gho

Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby asl80 on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:18 pm

sorry ... haven't read anything in this topic yet ... but the map looks good, only that in 1910 Australia had been federated (from 1901) and was no longer a colony of britain, though we did still shine thier boots for a long time remaining a "dominion" of britain or something of the sorts - meaning the boots we lick are still the queens ... but these have/had no official/practical bearing after federation.
Captain asl80

Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby MrBenn on Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:32 am

gho wrote:Germany had a colony on New Guinea until WW1, when Australia captured it. This might work if you remove the british link with new zealand in favour for the german link to new guinea.

asl80 wrote:... in 1910 Australia had been federated (from 1901) and was no longer a colony of britain

I think these are both good suggestions. :-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:46 pm

have i asked why finland is in russian empire?
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby multiplayertim on Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 pm

sam_levi_11 wrote:have i asked why finland is in russian empire?

it's 1910
http://www.emersonkent.com/map_archive/europe_1910.htm
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby iancanton on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:06 am

there ought to be a rough balance between china and japan. how about drawing japan a bit bigger, then splitting the japanese homeland into three island territories called honshu, hokkaido and kyushu (as the asia map has done) and allocating karafuto (the southern half of sakhalin island – this currently appears as a peninsula, not an island) to the japanese empire? the japanese empire continent will then have six territories (honshu, hokkaido, kyushu, korea, taiwan and karafuto) and border two continents (china and russia) instead of only one.

the trading companies are an original twist to gameplay that is in keeping with the times. the resultant asymmetry lets europe project its power in a limited way. this is a good alternative (or addition) to the capital auto-deploy.

i think africa has far too many territories. someone holding the whole of africa will receive more bonuses than for holding any other continent, which is the opposite of reality. at its simplest, africa could be drawn visually smaller and with only four territories: british africa, german africa, french africa and morocco (with egypt & sudan and ottoman tripoli given to the middle east continent). with only four territories on the african continent, a player wouldn't be disadvantaged by the lopsidedness that mibi mentions if he had three african colonial territories from the drop (in fact, it could work in his favour because he'd be only one away from the africa bonus). the very detailed africa that we have at the moment has the potential to be the core of a “scramble for africa” map with new world gameplay.

if we decide not to shrink africa as above, then liberia and somaliland won't be missed if they disappear: there is no influence from the usa and italy respectively to give relevance to their existence. tripoli was an ottoman colony. so was egypt (nominally), though great britain was in control. i'm not sure about a good way to join tripoli to the ottoman empire without egypt, so maybe it just has to be, like the portuguese colonies, orphaned. an alternative is, as mentioned above, to make egypt & sudan and ottoman tripoli part of the middle east continent.
cairnswk wrote:Oaktown...sorry if i have come in late on this one....great looking map....but where are the Dutch.
Are you not going to have Indonesia as being Dutch and some parts of Africa also....or is that after 1910???

cairns makes a very good point. the netherlands was one of the most influential nations in 1910 and two dutch empire territories are already on the board (sumatra and java) without the colonial power being there. a bit of france and germany can be cannibalised to make the netherlands bigger than real size.

iceland looks a bit out of place without its mother country, denmark, although putting in denmark would make that part of europe look very cramped.

it is a pity that europe isn't bigger on the map because many of the most significant territorial changes took place in europe. for example, a bigger europe could show the four major constituent states of germany (prussia, bavaria, wuerttemberg and saxony), the four countries of the united kingdom (including the whole of the island of ireland) and the empire of austria and kingdom of hungary as separate territories rather than a combined one; having said that, perhaps this particular concept best fits a world war one europe map.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Cartography Assistant
Cartography Assistant

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6) General Contribution (12)

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 pm

You misspelled Morocco -- it has two C's.

Also, can't you do anything about those mountains? They look pretty horrible IMO.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Medals: 23
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby jasnostj on Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:54 pm

InkL0sed wrote:You misspelled Morocco -- it has two C's.

Also, can't you do anything about those mountains? They look pretty horrible IMO.

As a cell biologist, I'd say they look like the Endoplasmic Reticulum :D
Private jasnostj

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:08 pm

I think play should be unshifted from Europe and spread out a little more. Russia had a really good empire going, as did China and Japan. Sure, Europe had MORE colonies, but being realistic is kinda killing the gameplay for me.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (4)
General Contribution (6)

Postby Joop on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 pm

The Caroline Islands (or Karolinen as the germans referred to them) were a german colony in 1910.
They're located just north of New Guinea and just east of the Philippines.

West Africa was a colony of the french in 1910 and reached into what you call Congo, separating it from Cameroon.

There's an h missing from Afghanistan and a c from Morocco.
Private Joop

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas