Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Second Punic War

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: ROMA: Second Punic War - Map on pg. 1 & 3

Postby gimil on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:32 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
gimil wrote:Rubean your such a windge some times!

[adv. idea]

*pondering what windge means* Gimil...I am still trying to evaluate whether you spell my name wrongly on purpose or whether it's a genuine spelling mistake. I'm sure I will come up with an answer one of these days! :)

maybe one day ill tell ya ;)
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby TaCktiX on Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:25 pm

I think the one bone I have is that the entire legend mentions starting neutrals and whatever else. People will be able to SEE the starting neutrals when they join a game. People will be able to SEE where everybody else started. It seems like the legend is making concessions for people with observation skills nonexistent (a bad problem in a game like CC).

Otherwise, I really like the map concept and I think you could go lots of places with it, provided there are a few neutral adjustments here and there (I think they're all too steep right now).
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:02 am

TaCktiX wrote:I think the one bone I have is that the entire legend mentions starting neutrals and whatever else. People will be able to SEE the starting neutrals when they join a game. People will be able to SEE where everybody else started. It seems like the legend is making concessions for people with observation skills nonexistent (a bad problem in a game like CC).

Otherwise, I really like the map concept and I think you could go lots of places with it, provided there are a few neutral adjustments here and there (I think they're all too steep right now).

Hi Tacktix. I prefer to add more info in the legend so that all people who play the map understand it. Personally I don't usually play this style of map and I always have a difficulty to understand the more complex maps. Some extra info won't do any harm.

I agree with you that the neutrals need some adjustment but so far I haven't had any input on the gameplay aspect from the community. Hopefully when this gets into the main foundry more people like oak and gimil will make gameplay comments and we'll be able to look into that issue.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby gimil on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:40 pm

I dont want you in here anymore.

What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:49 pm

Gimil! Have some consistency! I understand your argument that Ruben is a great mapmaker (and don't get me wrong. I love the map, its gorgeous!) but a lot of newbies get confused when a map is moved so fast. Since [adv. idea] there has been one comment, a reply and a stamp! Couldn't you at least wait for another update?!

Well anyway congratz. :)

Some small gfx things:
-the purple dots from Cartenna to P/Cornelius Scipio look too big, fuzzy, and close together. Same with the one from Zama.
-I really dont like the thick border around the islands, could you make it thinner? It's just my opinion though.
-Could you enlarge Melita a bit? It took me a while to see.
-Could you make the attack lines through the water a little easier to see?
-Can you make the border between Tarraco and Massilia a little more noticeable?
-Can you make the BG of the picture of Hannibal the same is the picture of Cornelius?

Its looking great!
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby edbeard on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:18 pm

the terrain looks really good. How long did it take to do all that?

don't you think some of the starting points are too close together? Numantia and Derdosa for example. you almost have to try to take each other out early in the game. Especially if someone gets bad dice to start.

same thing with the Pirates and the bottom right start.

The worst is Ticinus and Illyria. Ticinus must take out Verona to do anything. Either can probably take out the other player without them taking a turn
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby oaktown on Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:12 pm

welcome back to the foundry Ruben. I'll give this map a good look in the coming days, and I'll be stamping this one myself when the time comes.
Captain oaktown

Postby oaktown on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:57 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:This map will be part of what I hope to be a three part series... I also plan to make two versions of each map. One version of the maps will be utilising a conquest/objective gameplay while the other will be using a classic gameplay.

So, this is going to be six maps when all is said and done? I think I'd settle on either the conquest or the classic version.

Overall it sounds interesting. I both like and dislike the idea of escalating neutral values; I like the fact that it might get players off their duffs and force them to start fighting earlier, but I'm concerned that slow games could be made even slower if those neutrals get too large and clog up the works. But since this idea isn't XML-ready anyway it may not matter.

One little thing that would make it far easier to analyze the gameplay on this map is if you could put the starting neutral values on the circles themselves... right now I'm constantly referring back and forth between the map, the legend, and the first post.
Captain oaktown

Postby Ruben Cassar on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:04 am

Hi guys. Just wanted to let you know that I have been reading your feedback and that I will comment / post updates in the coming days.

Unfortunately right now I'm swamped with real life matters but keep that feedback coming. It's much appreciated. Thanks.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Re: Roma: Secundum Bellum Punicum (218-202 A.C.)

Postby Blitzaholic on Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:04 am

Ruben Cassar wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Ruben, I am excited you are attempting another map with more than a handful of territories. :D ;) Good luck,

--Andy

Hehe.

It's hard to put in more territories with the current map size restrictions! :lol:

bigger the better I think

what is the restriction level?
General Blitzaholic

Postby oaktown on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:53 pm

well, it's been over two months... I'm vacationing this map Ruben. If you want to pull it back out let me know and I'll happily restore it to the Foundry.
Captain oaktown

Postby Ruben Cassar on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:45 am

oaktown wrote:well, it's been over two months... I'm vacationing this map Ruben. If you want to pull it back out let me know and I'll happily restore it to the Foundry.

Yes, I will finish this one at a later stage as I'm swamped right now. Hopefully before the end of the year!
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby firstholliday on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:45 pm

offcourse this is in the bin.... you can't see Amsterdam!!!!

pffff
7 firstholliday 3589 (58%) General 128-2 Netherlands
General firstholliday

Postby alexandrois on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:28 am

Overall it is amazing. I would like it if there could be a bonus for holding rome or carthage and maybe have the letters S.P.Q.R in the rome territory. For the sea i like the coulor but not the texture if you could maybe have diffrent shdes in it ro somthing
Private 1st Class alexandrois

Postby lespaulstudio on Sat May 30, 2009 10:48 am

I like the overall gameplay of your map with all the neutrals and all, but I'd have to see exactly what a game would look like (see the starting point) to see if it would work. I think the sea is fine the way it is, though.
Major lespaulstudio

Previous

Return to Recycling Box