Conquer Club

[09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Postby jiminski on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:33 am

jaguars34 wrote:
Ffraid wrote:
jaguars34 wrote:I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but the current ratings don't round up. So if one person gives you a 4 in any category just once you can never have that 5.0 rating again. Is there any way around this, or will 4.9 eventually just be the best anyone can conceivably hold?

Not true: View jiminski's ratings

I don't understand what you were directing me to. He had all 4.9s which is what i'm saying doesn't round to 5. I saw somewhere else since that it can round back up to 5.0, so my concern is unfounded/resoved, but not in those ratings

yeah i think the point fFraid was making is that it was 5 (it moved to 4.9 after that post today.) although in some places i had scored less than 5 in individual ratings?
Captain jiminski

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:19 pm

I was just given a 1 (along with everyone else in the game) in Fair Play by a player who felt "cheated by the system" in an escalating game.

I messaged him to ask about it and he said "not blaming you but the CC site it's self you got good points that game be happy with that. and i had had the upper half of the board and you just walked through everyone? should have been a little more of a fight in my mind."

Which was rather humorous especially considering I didn't win the game. Clearly this tool has no idea how escalating works.

Just wanted to post it here for more "proof" that the rating system is horribly flawed.

edit: After further conversations with this player, he seems to be of the opinion that if he lose, the game is rigged and thus the game (not the player) did not give him a Fair Play. So if he loses, he rates a 1. If he wins, he rates a 5. kind of pathetic, but just the thing to expect from this system.
Last edited by Bones2484 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Bones2484

Postby tomtorresson on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:50 pm

I keep getting emails from folks complaining about ratings I leave them. Is what I have been doing not correct?

. They way I understand it, 3 stars is "average". The way I have been rating folks is that when a game is super fast I give 5/5 stars for attendance. No missed turns is 4/5. 1 Missed turn is 3/5. Many is 2/5. Kicked out is 1/5.

For Fair Play I basically just give everyone 4 or 5....not even sure why they have this category as if you cheat it gets reported and corrected.

For Attitude - the most friendly people (in chat) get a 4 or 5. Just a normal "GL" or "GG" gets a 3 (Average). No chat at all gets a 2 and if someone is a jerk I give them a 1.
Sergeant tomtorresson

Postby Ffraid on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:21 pm

jiminski wrote:
jaguars34 wrote:I don't understand what you were directing me to. He had all 4.9s which is what i'm saying doesn't round to 5. I saw somewhere else since that it can round back up to 5.0, so my concern is unfounded/resoved, but not in those ratings

yeah i think the point fFraid was making is that it was 5 (it moved to 4.9 after that post today.) although in some places i had scored less than 5 in individual ratings?

Yes! Sorry about the confusion jaguars34. I was directing you to jiminski's ratings because, up until this morning, he had a 5.0 average even though he had received 7 4s and even a 3 (Damn you, jiminski, for getting all those 1s and totally screwing up my illustrating point. Very inconsiderate. Now I understand why the guy gave you all 1s. :lol: ). I've never met/played jiminski but he's very active in these forums about the new ratings system that I've been reading, so I had checked out his profile and had noticed the very thing about which you had posted. I don't know, offhand, about anyone else to use as an example, but you say that you have seen proof elsewhere since, so I guess it's irrelevant.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby cre8tiff on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:02 am

I find it difficult to believe the admins get less complaints about the new system and it's abuses/flaws, than they got for negative feedback. It seems an ego thing to me.
===============================================================
Join the Only Give Fives Group (OGFG) It's the next hottest thing! \:D/
Lieutenant cre8tiff

Postby jiminski on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:11 am

cre8tiff wrote:I find it difficult to believe the admins get less complaints about the new system and it's abuses/flaws, than they got for negative feedback. It seems an ego thing to me.

i am sure they get more complaints ... but i doubt it is an ego thing (maybe a tincey bit) the thing is they do not have to do anything about it any longer (the whole object of the update); they can file all feedback complaints under 'H' for 'he-he, he-he-he' ;)
Captain jiminski

Postby cre8tiff on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:54 am

Exactly. So why not just re-establish the old system without the ability to complain/overturn bad feedback? Seems like a no-brainer to me. But of course, I've been saying that all along. :roll:
Join the Only Give Fives Group (OGFG) It's the next hottest thing! \:D/
Lieutenant cre8tiff

Postby jiminski on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:07 am

cre8tiff wrote:Exactly. So why not just re-establish the old system without the ability to complain/overturn bad feedback? Seems like a no-brainer to me. But of course, I've been saying that all along. :roll:

well i understand why they will not do un-mod'ed, bespoke feedback ... the game can get pretty heated and nasty as we know. Feedback is often the expression of emotion and interpersonal ire.

I had put together a nice alternative option for moderated feedback but people who care enough about Comment based feedback to actually get involved, are very much in the minority.. Trust me, i gave it a bloody good shot and lobbied all over for support!
Captain jiminski

Postby suggs on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:11 pm

cre8tiff wrote:A month gone by and it still sux. Thanks for listening.

They won't listen. I don't think they understand they are running a business now, as opposed to having a laugh on the web with their mates.
CC is going down hill.
Sergeant 1st Class suggs

Postby k8theriver on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:34 am

i don't like the rating system because people give poor ratings with no explanation. for example, in one game i started the conversation by saying, "gl" no one else said anything. that was it. but then my opponent gave me 3 stars for attitude. 3 stars for everything, actually. i didn't miss a turn and if i played unfairly it was in vain because i didn't win.
i do like the medals though. that's fun.
Corporal 1st Class k8theriver

Postby lt.pie on Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:27 pm

k8theriver wrote:i don't like the rating system because people give poor ratings with no explanation. for example, in one game i started the conversation by saying, "gl" no one else said anything. that was it. but then my opponent gave me 3 stars for attitude. 3 stars for everything, actually. i didn't miss a turn and if i played unfairly it was in vain because i didn't win.
i do like the medals though. that's fun.

3 is average so don't worry about it.
Captain lt.pie

Postby DukeToshiro on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:19 pm

lt.pie wrote:3 is average so don't worry about it.

Not in this ratings system. It's very obvious that 5 is average because that's the "average" rating left by everyone. Anyone with a single ounce of intelligence can see that since everyone is used to the positive/neutral/negative system, they are using the following system....5=positive, 3= neutral, 1=negative. The only reason to give someone a neutral under the old system was so that you could comment on his feedback without actually hurting it. Now, people don't have any reason to leave a "neutral". Just another reason why this thing is a pointless waste of space.
Captain DukeToshiro

Postby jangler3 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:23 am

I don't know if this has been brought up, but I need to be able to put a comment under the ratings from others. I got a 3 from a player on attendance. I didn't miss. I don't miss!It is the only rating that is not subjective. And I think it would be good to be able to respond to ratings like this. I this in the works? And if not,.... WHY?
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.~ Thomas Jefferson
Corporal 1st Class jangler3

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:58 am

I was told by a player that because I played after he had finished in a freestyle game (because I had 2 ongoing freestyle rts) I would be getting all ones, this is obvious abuse of the system, in return I gave him all ones, he sucked the fun out of that game, and it will be hard to tell whether the feedback given from him is true, the feedback given from me will suffer the same scrutiny. It does not work as a system. If anything allow comments but not positive or negative feedback, no ratings but If a player is interested in another players performance he can read those
ā€¹max is gr8ā€ŗ so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
ā€¹New_rulesā€ŗ Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby kiwie on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:47 pm

what about when a player deadbeats on u ,u give him bad rating then he does the same to u when its no fault of urs,better to give no rating at all in that case,that mean its not a great system doesn't show true ratings :evil:
Sergeant kiwie

Postby kiwie on Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:52 pm

sounds like everyone has the same comment might be time for the trail rating system to be over.IT DOESN'T WORK ITS NOT A FAIR RATING
yes i had 3"s for a great game that just drops u down as well [url][b]
[/url][/b]
Sergeant kiwie

Postby xeno on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:31 pm

max is gr8 wrote: If anything allow comments but not positive or negative feedback, no ratings but If a player is interested in another players performance he can read those

Isn't that what the wall is for?
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby jangler3 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:53 pm

xeno wrote:
max is gr8 wrote: If anything allow comments but not positive or negative feedback, no ratings but If a player is interested in another players performance he can read those

Isn't that what the wall is for?

Not really. Because you can delete what you don't like. I told one player, learn how to play assassin. And she deleted it. So I put it back with a row of"!!!!" and she deleted that and put me on her foe list. Hilarious!!!!!!
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.~ Thomas Jefferson
Corporal 1st Class jangler3

Postby xeno on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:20 am

If I only rate a player's attendance, does it count as a rating towards the medal?
Private 1st Class xeno

Postby happy2seeyou on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:25 am

xeno wrote:If I only rate a player's attendance, does it count as a rating towards the medal?

yeah. A rating is a rating ;)
Captain happy2seeyou

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:48 pm

jiminski wrote:
azezzo wrote:I feel that some players are behaving worse now that there is no written feedback to worry about.
Lack has stated that there was alot of unjustified neg. feedbacks left and that the mods had to deal with it.

I am sorry i dont feel sorry for someone doing there job.

I wouldnt want to clean the porta johns but someone has to do it, and if they take the job then they should do the job the best they can without complaining about it.

what about all the truely justifiable negative feedbacks that were left, verified by the game logs and game chat? Besides acting as a written warning to others it was also a form of therapy, a release of sorts for having to deal with these morons.

Conquer Club gets 1 star for its handling of this fiasco.

i have to say i think it enables people to behave worse too..

heheh i threatened to suicide into a player (joking i must add) if they once more corrected my gamechat speeling (it's a spelling joke .. that kills em in Missouri!)

And i thought to myself.. hmm really what is to stop people who get really peed-off from doing just that? a rating of a 1?.. which will be swallowed in another 30, average behaviour, 5 star rating games!?

hmm well I realise that human nature 'should' be better but sometimes, without the fear of a meaningful punishment, it lapses!
I am only realising now that negs, accompanied by a relevant comment to justify it, did actually offer a meaningful and lasting punishment.

Yes, I absolutely love the new system because it does all the things I spent a thousand words warning that it would do.

I spent as much energy on the other feedback system as I did the game. It takes alot of work to play thousands of games like this, and not get too many complaints. Now I dont worry half as much as I did before, and consider it a relief.

I dont think its a better system in any way, because it is nearly useless information, but it has been much more fun for me.

The main problem with the old system was that the moderation took a lot of time, and was completely subjective, but you didnt have to worry about negatives that werent accurate, because they were written out, and attached to games... it was easy to read and figure out who really was the trouble maker... now.. that info is all gone... I dont even know what the ratings mean, but I do like my 5.0 :D
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby jiminski on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:08 pm

AAFitz wrote:
jiminski wrote:
azezzo wrote:I feel that some players are behaving worse now that there is no written feedback to worry about.
Lack has stated that there was alot of unjustified neg. feedbacks left and that the mods had to deal with it.

I wouldnt want to clean the porta johns but someone has to do it, and if they take the job then they should do the job the best they can without complaining about it.

what about all the truely justifiable negative feedbacks that were left, verified by the game logs and game chat? Besides acting as a written warning to others it was also a form of therapy, a release of sorts for having to deal with these morons.

heheh i threatened to suicide into a player (joking i must add) if they once more corrected my gamechat speeling (it's a spelling joke .. that kills em in Missouri!)

And i thought to myself.. hmm really what is to stop people who get really peed-off from doing just that? a rating of a 1?.. which will be swallowed in another 30, average behaviour, 5 star rating games!?

hmm well I realise that human nature 'should' be better but sometimes, without the fear of a meaningful punishment, it lapses!
I am only realising now that negs, accompanied by a relevant comment to justify it, did actually offer a meaningful and lasting punishment.

Yes, I absolutely love the new system because it does all the things I spent a thousand words warning that it would do.

I spent as much energy on the other feedback system as I did the game. It takes alot of work to play thousands of games like this, and not get too many complaints. Now I dont worry half as much as I did before, and consider it a relief.

I dont think its a better system in any way, because it is nearly useless information, but it has been much more fun for me.

The main problem with the old system was that the moderation took a lot of time, and was completely subjective, but you didnt have to worry about negatives that werent accurate, because they were written out, and attached to games... it was easy to read and figure out who really was the trouble maker... now.. that info is all gone... I dont even know what the ratings mean, but I do like my 5.0 :D

heheh a reformed multi bought his way back in and gave me all 1's... making me a 4.9.
the system is sadly worthless and i do not use it... did you see my community feedback idea Fitzy?

community moderated feedback
Captain jiminski

Postby hulmey on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:17 pm

AAFitz wrote:
jiminski wrote:

worry about negatives!!! i only had 1 in 2 years and i had the odd outburst now and again!
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby KoE_Sirius on Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:27 am

Get rid of the stars system.Its complete rubbish.Its only open to someone opinion and I'm not interested.Lets let our rank or win ratio decide this.
The medal system is fantastic tho.
Highest Rank 4th.
Major KoE_Sirius

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives