Conquer Club

BCS standings, why is USC so high

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

BCS standings, why is USC so high

Postby sfhbballnut on Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:22 pm

yes they have one loss, but it was to Oregon State. Please explain this to me.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby P Gizzle on Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:26 pm

Oregon State at one time was ranked. that's it
Gridiron Gang- CC's largest Clan!
Cook P Gizzle

Postby Master Bush on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:13 pm

And they killed Arkansas on the road.
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant Master Bush

Postby DogDoc on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:28 pm

Master Bush wrote:And they killed Arkansas on the road.

May I remind you that that was the first game of the season and Arkansas was playing WITHOUT McFadden and their first string quarterback? If the game were played again against the Arkansas team that LSU beat today, I think the outcome would have been different.
WARNING: The light at the end of the tunnel is a train.
Corporal 1st Class DogDoc

Postby Master Bush on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:35 pm

The SEC is overated, and so is Arkansas. But USC sucks too, so who cares.
"You know what they say about Love and War...."
"Yeah, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's War."
Sergeant Master Bush

Re: BCS standings, why is USC so high

Postby DogDoc on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:59 pm

sfhbballnut wrote:yes they have one loss, but it was to Oregon State. Please explain this to me.

The only way to possibly explain it is to accept the West Coast bias theory. It's the same reason why ESPN was declaring USC a dynasty last year after having only won one NC (I thought a dynasty had to win more than one).

While I realize rankings is only one part of the BCS formula, USC lobbied for changes after the 2003 season which benefitted them. That was the year LSU edged USC in points due to strength of schedule. The formula changed after that to give SoS less emphasis so that playing in a weak conference such as the Pac10 would not hurt that much in the BCS. Should strength of schedule be a big deal? Hell yes. LSU played *four* top 10 teams this year - all *on the road.* Do you honestly think USC could have done that and still have only 1 loss? For that matter, do you think Ohio State cold have done that?

It just really sucks that the best 2 teams this year won't get a chance to play each other. If only there was a playoff system in Division IA . . .

Postby DogDoc on Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:02 pm

Master Bush wrote:The SEC is overated, and so is Arkansas. But USC sucks too, so who cares.

All the conferences are to some degree. Unfortunately, we'll never know which team is the best with the screwed up BCS in place.

Postby sfhbballnut on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:31 pm

I asked earlier about where Georgia Tech would be had they beaten Notre Dame in the first game of the season and everybody said no where because of the loss to Clemson, but if USC can be that high after losing to Oregon State.....

moot point anyway because they lost but its an interesting thought
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby strike wolf on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:27 am

Master Bush wrote:The SEC is overated, and so is Arkansas. But USC sucks too, so who cares.

No, the SEC comes out every week and beats up on each other. I can honestly say that watching the Texas vs. USC game last year. I feel that there were teams in the SEC that could have beaten either of them.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby strike wolf on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:28 am

sfhbballnut wrote:I asked earlier about where Georgia Tech would be had they beaten Notre Dame in the first game of the season and everybody said no where because of the loss to Clemson, but if USC can be that high after losing to Oregon State.....

Umm, I think I was the only one who said the Clemson thing.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby sfhbballnut on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:16 pm

oh, ok anyway it didn't matter and really not now that we;ve lost to Georgia again, maybe we'll find some help after Reggie Ball leaves, he's a decent QB but bad decision making combined with his height just in't going to work in big games. I've seen some of the new prospects in action, so I'm excited about the coming years and the game next week, we can play better than that and I hope we do
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby DogDoc on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:16 pm

strike wolf wrote:
sfhbballnut wrote:I asked earlier about where Georgia Tech would be had they beaten Notre Dame in the first game of the season and everybody said no where because of the loss to Clemson, but if USC can be that high after losing to Oregon State.....

Umm, I think I was the only one who said the Clemson thing.

No, I think I joined you there in dismissing the claim that upsetting ND would have changed their season . . .

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:37 pm

I'm just happy the 3 teams i've rooted for since I was like 6 are doing well..

Michigan, Florida, and BSU!!!
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby P Gizzle on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:39 pm

the Smurf Turf is pretty cool. one of a kind
Cook P Gizzle

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 pm

P Gizzle wrote:the Smurf Turf is pretty cool. one of a kind

indeed bsu is where i'm going to college.....
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby P Gizzle on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:42 pm

cool school. yeah, i like their logo, mascot, overall pretty cool. doin any sports?
Cook P Gizzle

Postby sfhbballnut on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:42 pm

never heard it called that before.

**interesting story**
Last week my school confiscated someone's Fermin University sweatshirt because all it had on was a giant Purple "FU"
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby P Gizzle on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:44 pm

hmmmmmmmm, messed up.
Cook P Gizzle

Postby DogDoc on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:46 pm

reverend_kyle wrote:I'm just happy the 3 teams i've rooted for since I was like 6 are doing well..

Yeah, figures you'd be a Michigan and a Gator fan. :wink: I don't know enough about BSU to hate them yet. :D

In all honesty, though, I'll be pulling for Florida. I want them to represent the SEC well in case they do happen to somehow make it into the NC game. During bowl season, I'm a dedicated SEC fan. During the regular season, i'ts GEAUX TIGERS!! And we ESPECIALLY hate Florida.

Postby reverend_kyle on Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:51 pm

DogDoc wrote:
reverend_kyle wrote:I'm just happy the 3 teams i've rooted for since I was like 6 are doing well..

Yeah, figures you'd be a Michigan and a Gator fan. :wink: I don't know enough about BSU to hate them yet. :D

In all honesty, though, I'll be pulling for Florida. I want them to represent the SEC well in case they do happen to somehow make it into the NC game. During bowl season, I'm a dedicated SEC fan. During the regular season, i'ts GEAUX TIGERS!! And we ESPECIALLY hate Florida.

have been since i was a little boy.. as I've gotten older I've payed less and less attention only to find out that they are kicking ass again...

as for you pgizzle no, but I'll probably do debate.
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby CBlake on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:03 am

as i said in the other thread arkansas making that late push into the top 10 boosted usc's strength of scheduel alot
Captain CBlake

Postby strike wolf on Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:39 am

DogDoc wrote:

Really I thought you would be more or less neutral about Florida. Anyways, welcome to the Gators hate club.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby DogDoc on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:19 am

Really I thought you would be more or less neutral about Florida. Anyways, welcome to the Gators hate club.

That's one thing that all SEC fans can agree on. We all hate Florida more than any other SEC team.
Last edited by DogDoc on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DogDoc on Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:27 am

And did you happen to catch the USC-ND game last night? It was an abolute lovefest by Musburger and the other announcers. Their heads are so far up USC's asses it's not funny. Last week they said Mich-OSU would be a great NC game. This week they said that unless you win your conference you shouldn't be in a BCS bowl (this comment was directed at LSU in particular by Kirk Herbstriet - what a prick).

I'm going to be a big UCLA fan this week and pull for them to knock USC out of the NC game. I would LOVE to see LSU paired with USC in the Rose Bowl and then have JaMarcus put on a show for them. It would also be nice to see the Tiger Defense stuff Booty. Most of all, it'd be nice to have the CBS/ESPN commentators to just shut the hell up.

Postby P Gizzle on Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:13 am

reverend_kyle wrote:
DogDoc wrote:

have been since i was a little boy.. as I've gotten older I've payed less and less attention only to find out that they are kicking ass again...

as for you pgizzle no, but I'll probably do debate.

debate owns. what r u majoring in?
Cook P Gizzle

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,