Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Ant Wars

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] - Ant Wars

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:46 am

This is an idea I had posted a while back but I never had a true game play idea. I decided to give it another go but this time I came up with a unique game play style. Hope you like it!

Ver 2:
Click image to enlarge.

Texture change:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/114/ ... nd6ah2.jpg

Ver 1:
Click image to enlarge.

Original:
http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/355/ ... alldz8.jpg

Basically you will start with 1 of the 8 center points at the bottom of the map (the circle in the center of 4 circles). You then attack 1 of the four surrounding circles to select a bonus. After selecting your bonus, you attack your queen (which queen you attack is dependent on which position selector you start with). Start attacking your enemies from the queen out. I asked questions about what the xml is capable of and this map would be able to be done.

The queens can bombard their selector and species. This will stop you being left with 2 territories! However, if you lose your queen then you risk losing your species.

Territories: ?
Continents: None
Bonuses: Refer to map

The bonuses most likely need a little adjusting.
Last edited by Ethitts on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:35 am, edited 10 times in total.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Re: Ant Wars

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 am

At first I was confused, but I think I like this idea. You'd definitely want to make the -100 punishment for holding more than one ant more visible, though. I bet many players will miss it as it is now.

As you said, the graphics need a lot of work. Do you want specific comments on them at this point, or are you already working on fixing them up?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:36 am

ZeakCytho wrote:At first I was confused, but I think I like this idea. You'd definitely want to make the -100 punishment for holding more than one ant more visible, though. I bet many players will miss it as it is now.

As you said, the graphics need a lot of work. Do you want specific comments on them at this point, or are you already working on fixing them up?

No I just wanted to see what the reaction would be for this style of map, as it is quite different. I will give the graphics a big revamp if people take interest in the map.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby mibi on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:43 am

The types needs to be more legible, but it looks like a good start.
Captain mibi

Postby Androidz on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 am

i would deffently play this map so i vote yes:D
Private Androidz

Postby Natewolfman on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:32 am

i totally had an idea like this a month or 2 back... started doing a map then gave up cuz i suck on graphics, but when i did it, i split up the ants in half, left half were black ants, right half were red ants, and made it like a real war between ants... food for thought ;)

your map looks 100X better then mine though, hope you make it to forge!
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:15 pm

I'll start working on some better graphics. I don't think anyone has much of a problem with game play, at least nothing that can't be tweaked.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby zimmah on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 am

XML will be perfectly do-able but you'll need some kind of objective just to allow victory.

might be hold all queens, as you can assume whenever someone holds all queen, almost all players are effectivly eliminated anyways (except for their 'useless' territories).
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby Coleman on Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:36 pm

I think the icons either need to be larger or clearer.

With the choose your race section included your victory condition will need to be to hold the whole rest of the map. I also worry about dead beating due to being stuck with only the race selection area, or when a player screws up with race selection unintentionally, such as in a 4 player or less game where players will end up with multiple selectors.

Not trying to bash your ideas as I have had a couple ideas implementing something similar to what you are attempting. I hope we can come up with a way to make it work.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Ethitts on Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Coleman wrote:I think the icons either need to be larger or clearer.

With the choose your race section included your victory condition will need to be to hold the whole rest of the map. I also worry about dead beating due to being stuck with only the race selection area, or when a player screws up with race selection unintentionally, such as in a 4 player or less game where players will end up with multiple selectors.

Not trying to bash your ideas as I have had a couple ideas implementing something similar to what you are attempting. I hope we can come up with a way to make it work.

I think the whole 'selection' ability in maps would open up a whole lot of doors. I don't know xml's capabilities, but would it be possible to make it so if you only hold 1 territory (the race selection), then your eliminated from the game (bear in mind on this map you start with 2)? Also, the center circle could be a killer neutral and only the race selected would be held.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:20 pm

i think this could be pretty cool, although i'm not a big fan of the -100 bonus or w/e
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Ethitts on Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:41 pm

Is anyone xml savvy enough to answer my question: "Can you code the map so that a player is eliminated if they hold only 1 territory?"
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby ZeakCytho on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:06 pm

Ethitts wrote:Is anyone xml savvy enough to answer my question: "Can you code the map so that a player is eliminated if they hold only 1 territory?"

No, they'll be stuck deploying 3 on their selector for the whole match :?
This is why you need a victory condition (hold all territories in the main board) to finish the game.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:28 pm

I don't like how the territories are built like roads. There aren't enough connections for me. It diluites the strategic aspect of the map, methinks.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Ethitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:25 am

Ver 2:
Click image to enlarge.

Ver 2 changes:
Complete revamp

I think I have come up with a way to stop you being left with your selector. The queen can now bombard the selector and species, this will allow player elimination.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Re: Ant Wars - New gameplay style!

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:40 am

Wow think surely got confusing. But it looks great.

Ants look alike, cant seem to find the Egs and what the hell is the things on the bottom? A P H S?

-100armies for holding what diffrent ants?

Haveing the same white thingy on Queens and Nusery can be confusing. Try to make the queen a throne room for ants or something.
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:42 am

Androidz wrote:Wow think surely got confusing. But it looks great.

Ants look alike, cant seem to find the Egs and what the hell is the things on the bottom? A P H S?

Haveing the same white thingy on Queens and Nusery can be confusing. Try to make the queen a throne room for ants or something.

You might want to spend a little more time reading the map. But yea, it probably needs a bit more of an explanation in the legend.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:45 am

Ethitts wrote:

You might want to spend a little more time reading the map. But yea, it probably needs a bit more of an explanation in the legend.

Yeah i know i could spent a few more min on it but i dont players want to use 3 min of their life learning the rules if the legend isint clear enough.

But i love the consept, and i think its great that your going to work on the legend:)
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:47 am

Androidz wrote:
Ethitts wrote:

Yeah i know i could spent a few more min on it but i dont players want to use 3 min of their life learning the rules if the legend isint clear enough.

But i love the consept, and i think its great that your going to work on the legend:)

Fair enough. But I have played on maps quite confusing before and it didn't stop me ;), and personally, if you want to win a map you might want to spend a bit of time learning it.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:50 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:
Ethitts wrote:

Fair enough. But I have played on maps quite confusing before and it didn't stop me ;)

Yup me to, Waterloo was confusing but when i understood it it become quite easy:D

So correct me if im wrong if i have Honey ants, and Army ants. Then i will have a penalty deployrate of 1 each turn instead of exs: 8?
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:55 am

Androidz wrote:Yup me to, Waterloo was confusing but when i understood it it become quite easy:D

So correct me if im wrong if i have Honey ants, and Army ants. Then i will have a penalty deployrate of 1 each turn instead of exs: 8?

uhhhh, what do you mean by "exs: 8"? If you hold more than 1 species of ant (Army ant and Honey pot ant for example). Then you will recieve negative 100 armies per turn. Since 1 is the lowest you can get, unless your total bonus is above 100 (which I think is nearly impossible) then you will receive 1 army per turn.

This is too stop people abusing the bonuses. You can only have 1 species of ant
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:59 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:Yup me to, Waterloo was confusing but when i understood it it become quite easy:D

uhhhh, what do you mean by "exs: 8"? If you hold more than 1 species of ant (Army ant and Honey pot ant for example). Then you will recieve negative 100 armies per turn. Since 1 is the lowest you can get, unless your total bonus is above 100 (which I think is nearly impossible) then you will receive 1 army per turn.

This is too stop people abusing the bonuses. You can only have 1 species of ant

Exactly what i was asking for=) Ever tought off adding 4 more ants? With other types of bonuses? Maybe then you can hold 2 if diffrent sections or something??
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:01 am

Androidz wrote:Exactly what i was asking for=) Ever tought off adding 4 more ants? With other types of bonuses? Maybe then you can hold 2 if diffrent sections or something??

I'll stick with the 4 I have for now. I'm lacking in space at the moment, that's why my explanations in the legend are a bit lacking in detail. Any more species will make things way too cluttered.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:10 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:Exactly what i was asking for=) Ever tought off adding 4 more ants? With other types of bonuses? Maybe then you can hold 2 if diffrent sections or something??

I'll stick with the 4 I have for now. I'm lacking in space at the moment, that's why my explanations in the legend are a bit lacking in detail. Any more species will make things way too cluttered.

True but heres an Legend Suggestion for a better Overweiv.

- Change Colour of ANT WARS tittle.

- Change Strenght. With Green Colours.

- Change Negative With Red Colours.

- Is the part saying you start with one of the eggs + not take 2 ants factions really necearry people will see that when they start playing. You Can change to conquer one of the factions to lead your ant empire to victory. Or something

- Make The Tittle with the part above makeing in the corner. Then set the part above above the -100part.

- Set Bonuses over the bonuses. And Factions over the Factions (or Spices.)

-Make the egg an actully big egg.with the army numbers it will look better;)

-Again the Nursery and The Background of the queen is to alike. Change the Queen background to something amazing.
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:15 am

Androidz wrote:
Ethitts wrote:

True but heres an Legend Suggestion for a better Overweiv.

- Change Colour of ANT WARS tittle.

- Change Strenght. With Green Colours.

- Change Negative With Red Colours.

- Is the part saying you start with one of the eggs + not take 2 ants factions really necearry people will see that when they start playing. You Can change to conquer one of the factions to lead your ant empire to victory. Or something

- Make The Tittle with the part above makeing in the corner. Then set the part above above the -100part.

- Set Bonuses over the bonuses. And Factions over the Factions (or Spices.)

-Make the egg an actully big egg.with the army numbers it will look better;)

-Again the Nursery and The Background of the queen is to alike. Change the Queen background to something amazing.

All great suggestions, thanks Androidz. I will get to work on those tomorrow though, for I am tired. :)
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Next

Return to Recycling Box