Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Ant Wars

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Ant Wars - New gameplay style!

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:17 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:
Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:Exactly what i was asking for=) Ever tought off adding 4 more ants? With other types of bonuses? Maybe then you can hold 2 if diffrent sections or something??

I'll stick with the 4 I have for now. I'm lacking in space at the moment, that's why my explanations in the legend are a bit lacking in detail. Any more species will make things way too cluttered.

True but heres an Legend Suggestion for a better Overweiv.

- Change Colour of ANT WARS tittle.

- Change Strenght. With Green Colours.

- Change Negative With Red Colours.

- Is the part saying you start with one of the eggs + not take 2 ants factions really necearry people will see that when they start playing. You Can change to conquer one of the factions to lead your ant empire to victory. Or something

- Make The Tittle with the part above makeing in the corner. Then set the part above above the -100part.

- Set Bonuses over the bonuses. And Factions over the Factions (or Spices.)

-Make the egg an actully big egg.with the army numbers it will look better;)

-Again the Nursery and The Background of the queen is to alike. Change the Queen background to something amazing.

All great suggestions, thanks Androidz. I will get to work on those tomorrow though, for I am tired. :)

yeay finnaly some1 appricateing my suggestions:D

Hehe sleep well^^
Private Androidz

Postby ZeakCytho on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:23 am

Which queen goes to which egg?

Also, since the species selector can attack the species choice, the queen will need to be able to bombard the individual species choices to eliminate someone, no?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ethitts on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:46 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Which queen goes to which egg?

Also, since the species selector can attack the species choice, the queen will need to be able to bombard the individual species choices to eliminate someone, no?

Once I label the territories you will see which queen belongs to which egg. The queen can also bombard the individual species surrounding it's egg. I forgot to mention that on the map. That will be added in my next update.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby bryguy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 pm

1) The map is a little confusing, and some of the wording could be reworded
2) I like what you did for the borders
3) I dont care for the texture of the dirt. It doesnt look like dirt
4) sorry dont have much more time to comment
Corporal bryguy

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:32 am

I like the concept, definitely interesting, in a good way.

Graphics wise I think you could probably play with the texture to get something more sand/dirt like.

I realise you're probably still mucking about with it, but the food chambers could look different. Right now its kinda like green airbrush.

The explanation, though complete, could be stated more concisely. I think it just may be the order or placement or somesuch but maybe put it into a more paragraphy type thing at the top which details the gameplay style and dump the bonuses and weaknesses in a legend at the bottom maybe?

Are the bonuses enough? It seems if you select army ant you have to conquer at least 5 territories for each +1 you get. Thats gonna make progress painful. Or it might just be me.

Very cool though.
Corporal 1st Class foregone

Postby Ethitts on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:11 am

foregone wrote:I like the concept, definitely interesting, in a good way.

Graphics wise I think you could probably play with the texture to get something more sand/dirt like.

I realise you're probably still mucking about with it, but the food chambers could look different. Right now its kinda like green airbrush.

The explanation, though complete, could be stated more concisely. I think it just may be the order or placement or somesuch but maybe put it into a more paragraphy type thing at the top which details the gameplay style and dump the bonuses and weaknesses in a legend at the bottom maybe?

Are the bonuses enough? It seems if you select army ant you have to conquer at least 5 territories for each +1 you get. Thats gonna make progress painful. Or it might just be me.

Very cool though.

Is this a better texture?

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Re: Ant Wars - Different texture page 3 (better?)

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:38 am

Not quite there yet. Still has a bit of a cardboardy feel to me. Will think on how it would look better...

Postby Androidz on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:24 am

I liked the old texture, where it looks like sand is crumbled togheter after a rainy day. Could be a bit darker peraps but not to much.
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:16 am

foregone wrote:Not quite there yet. Still has a bit of a cardboardy feel to me. Will think on how it would look better...

I'll post up a few different dirt options at some stage and then make a poll for it. Any suggestions as to how I should make the dirt look would be most appreciated.

Androidz wrote:I liked the old texture, where it looks like sand is crumbled togheter after a rainy day. Could be a bit darker peraps but not to much.

I liked it too :( , but not everyone can be pleased. Although my second attempt is growing on me too.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:28 am

Ethitts wrote:
foregone wrote:Not quite there yet. Still has a bit of a cardboardy feel to me. Will think on how it would look better...

I'll post up a few different dirt options at some stage and then make a poll for it. Any suggestions as to how I should make the dirt look would be most appreciated.

Androidz wrote:I liked the old texture, where it looks like sand is crumbled togheter after a rainy day. Could be a bit darker peraps but not to much.

I liked it too :( , but not everyone can be pleased. Although my second attempt is growing on me too.

I think its to plain. Doesent look like dirt but a texture on the wall. Almost slippery.

(Wow hard to explain:D)
Private Androidz

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:24 am

Androidz wrote:
Ethitts wrote:

I think its to plain. Doesent look like dirt but a texture on the wall. Almost slippery.

(Wow hard to explain:D)

The first is definitely better than the second. Are you using GIMP or Photoshop? I like the "feel" of the first, but think it could look a little more like loose particles, which I'd imagine it looks like in an anthill. Of course, this might just be me. Perhaps you should look at the other things first and then come back to the texture if it doesn't work in the overall feel further along?

Postby Ethitts on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:33 am

foregone wrote:The first is definitely better than the second. Are you using GIMP or Photoshop? I like the "feel" of the first, but think it could look a little more like loose particles, which I'd imagine it looks like in an anthill. Of course, this might just be me. Perhaps you should look at the other things first and then come back to the texture if it doesn't work in the overall feel further along?

I use photoshop. I think I should try get the texture right first because it will be a very large part of the map ;) , I can then build everything else on it. If I create everything else first it will be a mission going back and changing the entire background.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:00 am

Is this something like what you want? I made this in about five minutes just now:

I took a layer filled with white and went to filter -> noise -> add noise with the options Gaussian and Monochromatic at 200%. I then did a motion blur of 2 pixels at 90 degrees, and after that another motion blur of 2 pixel, but this time at 0 degrees. I set a color overlay on the layer (you'd probably want a different color) and messed with the opacity on that until I got a roughly dirt-colored layer. I then duplicated the layer and rotated it 180 degrees, and set the opacity on the duplicate to 70%.

It might be a bit blurrier than what you're looking for, now that I look at it again. Maybe only have the motion blurs at 1 px.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ethitts on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:03 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Is this something like what you want? I made this in about five minutes just now:

I took a layer filled with white and went to filter -> noise -> add noise with the options Gaussian and Monochromatic at 200%. I then did a motion blur of 2 pixels at 90 degrees, and after that another motion blur of 2 pixel, but this time at 0 degrees. I set a color overlay on the layer (you'd probably want a different color) and messed with the opacity on that until I got a roughly dirt-colored layer. I then duplicated the layer and rotated it 180 degrees, and set the opacity on the duplicate to 70%.

It might be a bit blurrier than what you're looking for, now that I look at it again. Maybe only have the motion blurs at 1 px.

Yea, that a good texture, but a little blurry as you said.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:06 am

ZeakCytho wrote:Is this something like what you want? I made this in about five minutes just now:

i think its to grey tough.
Private Androidz

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:07 am

Androidz wrote:i think its to grey tough.

ZeakCytho wrote:I set a color overlay on the layer (you'd probably want a different color) and messed with the opacity on that until I got a roughly dirt-colored layer.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Androidz on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:18 am

ZeakCytho wrote:

ZeakCytho wrote:I set a color overlay on the layer (you'd probably want a different color) and messed with the opacity on that until I got a roughly dirt-colored layer.

I like the coulour you suggested but i think its more of a rockish colour now.
Private Androidz

Postby Ethitts on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:23 am

Androidz wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

Androidz I don't think ZeakCytho meant the colour as a suggestion, he just used it as an example.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Androidz on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:26 am

Ethitts wrote:
Androidz wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

Androidz I don't think ZeakCytho meant the colour as a suggestion, he just used it as an example.

:O sorry im bad at english my bad.
Private Androidz

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 am

Try out Zeak's texture, it might come out nicely. Otherwise scour the net for dirt images and just muck about with the opacity, etc.

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:37 pm

right now it looks kinda like the inside of a burlap sack... getting close though...
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Ethitts on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:58 pm

A new texture:

Click image to enlarge.

This one I tried to make the nest have more depth. So hopefully it looks like all the holes are going "into" the map. Also tried to give it more of a grainy dirt texture.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Re: Ant Wars - Different texture page 4 (better?)

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:08 am

The hole look like they're coming out of the map to me :?

But the texture is much better.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ethitts on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:22 am

ZeakCytho wrote:The hole look like they're coming out of the map to me :?

Really? Hmm, wonder if other people find that. Glad you like the texture though.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby foregone on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:50 am

Ethitts wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:The hole look like they're coming out of the map to me :?

Really? Hmm, wonder if other people find that. Glad you like the texture though.

Texture looks better. The holes look all right to me.

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box