[Official] Brazil REVAMP [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Official] Brazil REVAMP [Quenched]

Postby RjBeals on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:51 am

Now Available on the START A GAME SCREEN!

Image Image Image Image Image

Click image to enlarge.

Image.

The 2 images above are my final images. I think this map has lived it's life. I've addressed all feedback and fixed what needed fixed. I'm done with this map. I've gotten some really positive feedback from it - I think when it's launched the general site will favor it over Marv's. Hope you guys understand, but I don't have the time or patience anymore to nit-pick this map apart. If there is a graphical problem relating to the xml, then let me know - otherwise, I've completed this map.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORIGINAL POST

Previous Maps
http://www.rjbeals.com/Brazil/Brazil-RjBeals-Rev-03.jpg
http://www.rjbeals.com/Brazil/Brazil-Rj ... ound2a.jpg[

Original (Marv's) Brazil
http://www.conquerclub.com/maps/Brazil.L.jpg

Wow.. 385 votes! I guess the community likes the map. I know Marv has some issues with this map.

Marvaddin wrote:RJ, like I said before, I intend to use the veto "super"-powers to the tilt, and this because a simple reason: Im not minimally convinced its necessary. It doesn't change too much the map proportions like it did to Portugal and Italy (and even doing that, its not something people from a country would love; I saw some of the reactions in the Portuguese forum, and I agree to them). See, you can decrease or remove the square around the map, put the image borders nearer to the map, decrease even the map a bit, because in most territories we have free space. Im sure you can do it without the tilt.

About the colours in the title, and the lack of national symbol, well, if your map really wins, we can discuss it properly. Like someone said, we have now 2 legends. I love the minimap, but I know we need have the continent names. How about putting them in the minimap, having some free space to the flag? Well, eliminating the tilt we will anyway have some free space in the bottom right corner. And the title, well, I can live with that, but before we can see what are the options having green and yellow only, or with blue. If this one is really the best... well, we will see.

A little suggestion: although I like the background, Brazil is not a big jungle like some people think. We have cities with +10M people, factories, etc. What you think about having the jungle in one side of the background (W side, preferentially) and other things (like even the ocean) in the other?

Beyond that, some misspelled names, and the letters "p" and "g" being a bit alike, I loved the map! Congratulations!

I would like to discuss the tilt, the background (green) and the title a little more. If you are absolutely firm about not having a tilt on the map, then I'll rework it - but I feel it doesn't take away from the map. I wonder what the "reactions in the Portuguese forum" were all about?
Last edited by RjBeals on Fri May 15, 2009 11:55 am, edited 18 times in total.
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Re: Brazil Official Revamp [I, GP]

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:07 am

Pst, you get a backdoor entry to the main foundry!

[moved]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Re: [Official] Brazil REVAMP [I, GP]

Postby oaktown on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:56 am

again, nice work rj.

About the tilt, would it bother marv less if you had a compass rose pointing out true north?
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 am

oaktown wrote:again, nice work rj.

About the tilt, would it bother marv less if you had a compass rose pointing out true north?

Marv is a fussy man!

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:18 am

congrats rj.
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby multiplayertim on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:26 am

maybe you cud use a different border the current 1's a bit ugly. I think the tilt looks fine but i suppose Marv has the final say
Last edited by multiplayertim on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winner: Tournament of the Minds
Private 1st Class multiplayertim

Medals: 24
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 am

Sorry to ruin the party but can the congragulations go over to the revamp competition thread?

Let this thread be used for development. This map stuff is serious business you know! ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:57 am

multiplayertim wrote:maybe you cud use a different border the current 1's a bit ugly. I think the tilt looks fine but i suppose Marv has the final say

As in the square map border?
I could try something else if you really think it's ugly.
Private RjBeals

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby lanyards on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:59 am

RjBeals wrote:
multiplayertim wrote:maybe you cud use a different border the current 1's a bit ugly. I think the tilt looks fine but i suppose Marv has the final say

As in the square map border?
I could try something else if you really think it's ugly.
I don't like it much either. But I do like the colors in it, you should use the same colors if you try a different border.

--lanyards
Colonel lanyards

Medals: 99
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (16) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (3)

Postby oaktown on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:06 pm

multiplayertim wrote:maybe you cud use a different border the current 1's a bit ugly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's ugly, but now that it's been pointed out it does use hard shapes with right angles while the rest of the map is much softer.
Captain oaktown

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) Map Contribution (12)
General Contribution (5)

Postby jiminski on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:14 pm

I really like the border.. colour and pattern.
I would say though that it does evoke Southern/Central African culture more than Brazilian... no idea why it but it seems more like tribal Africa somehow.. perhaps of Zulu origin.

for the Tilt.. Well i would be really sad if we lost that!
i kind of understand where Marv's is coming from .. but i think his view is based on transposing it within the mind into the whole of South America .. if you do that it is a little jarring.
But i do not do that, i consider the map as much an aesthetic celebration of Brazil, as a representation of the preconceived.

For me the Balance of the Tilted map and it's relationship with the also tilted mini are joyous. They allude to one of those matryoshka Russian dolls, that fit one inside another.. again don't ask me to explain ;) ..
but the baby map fits under the armpit of it's father.. perfect!
Colonel jiminski

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby WorldConquer587 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Rj can you please change the territory named of Rio Negro it kind of insults me and I don't approve of it.
Cook WorldConquer587

Postby RjBeals on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:24 pm

WorldConquer587 wrote:Rj can you please change the territory named of Rio Negro it kind of insults me and I don't approve of it.

Gimil - can you delete this post?

[edit] - I really can't believe that you're serious. But if you are, you need to take it up with Marvaddin - he is the original creator, and is the one who named the territories.
Private RjBeals

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:28 pm

RjBeals wrote:
WorldConquer587 wrote:Rj can you please change the territory named of Rio Negro it kind of insults me and I don't approve of it.

Gimil - can you delete this post?

[edit] - I really can't believe that you're serious. But if you are, you need to take it up with Marvaddin - he is the original creator, and is the one who named the territories.

The post isn't flame or trolling, I actually consider it a valid request worthy of disussion. I was never aware the word "negro" was offensive. But apparently it is. Perhaps marv can shed a brazilian view or this.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby RjBeals on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:34 pm

This was discussed in the revamp thread already. Valid points were given as to why it was chosen as a name.

Hellmanns wrote:
WorldConquer587 wrote:[mod edit]No need to quote the entire first post[/mod edit]

I THINK ALL OF THOSE MAPS ARE OFFENSIVE!! THE REASON I SAY THAT IS BECAUSE ALL OF YOU MAPS HAVE A TERRITORY CALLED Rio "Negro" . I'm an african american and if you don't change the name of that territory I shall report you.

Rio Negro meets Rio Solimões and form the Amazon River (Rio Amazonas), the biggest in the world (in quantity of water), so there is nothing racist about it...
Last edited by RjBeals on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private RjBeals

Next

Return to The Atlas