Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Romania

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Romania Revisited - v4.1 -

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:54 am

wcaclimbing wrote:Looks better with the lower opacity colors.
But now I think the green continent might be too faded. could you make the green a bit more visible, but leave everything else the same?

And the borders on the map are very pixellated, especially in the pink continent. Could you try redrawing them so they would be a bit more smooth?

Now updated. The green is stronger. Tried making the borders better, fine difference so not hundreds on how much improvement there is. Take a look and let me know please.
Corporal 1st Class foregone

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:39 pm

looks much better, although i would like it if you could post the most current images in your later posts so i can see what exactly you're talking about.

furthermore, i think you could go ahead and move some of the country names around to fit more space for army circles. my biggest example would be satu mare or w/e in the upper left in the yellow region. its taking up a big part of the middle of that territ, so maybe tilt it up a little or shrink it and move it up and you'd have more space
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:48 pm

Looking better with the green.
I'm still not satisfied with the colors, but they are ok for now. will probably need a few more changes later, though.

Right now you have the metal emblem thing sitting on the map.
It looks kinda lonely there all by itself. Are there any other things you could put sitting on the map also, like down in the left corner, at least?

And you still need to edit your topic title.
It still says v4.1, when it should say v4.5.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:56 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:Looking better with the green.
I'm still not satisfied with the colors, but they are ok for now. will probably need a few more changes later, though.

Will continue for now and maybe go back to it later if thats the general feeling. Not hard to strengthen the colours but want to make sure that I don't lose the faded feel.

wcaclimbing wrote:Right now you have the metal emblem thing sitting on the map.
It looks kinda lonely there all by itself. Are there any other things you could put sitting on the map also, like down in the left corner, at least?

Been thinking about that for a while but have been bus with all the other updates. Will work on that now having made the other improvements.

wcaclimbing wrote:And you still need to edit your topic title.
It still says v4.1, when it should say v4.5.

Oooops, fixed.

Re: Romania Revisited - v5 -

Postby foregone on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:44 pm

Updated. More comments please.

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:57 pm

i'm not a big fan of the flag colors in the background. very splotchy. and it looks totally out of place.

same with the compass, i don't get why it's there....
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:37 pm

I sent you some comments in response to the PM you sent me.
Should I post them here, or just leave them in the PM?

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:46 am

Ok. forgone PMd me, and this was my response:
wcaclimbing wrote:As your first map, Romania seems to be coming along nicely.
That being said, I think its run into a few problems that most mapmakers have at first. They can easily be solved, but might take a bit of creativity on your part.
---First off, i think the biggest issue visually are the conflicting themes throughout the image. You have an excellent parchment/old paper feel going on, but when you add in the colors of the continents, it doesn't seem to work too well.
Take this image for example:
Click image to enlarge.

Its an old map, similar to yours. Where they are different, though, is the issue.
Old images usually have faded lighter colors, or no color at all. Because the color might fade away over time or the person that made the map might just not have access to the needed colors.
I think that could be solved by replacing the color scheme you are using now.
Make the tan paper a bit lighter, and then use softer, more similar colors to make your continents.
Take a look at Age of Merchants, Battle for Iraq, or the Middle East map. They are all similar to what it looks like you are trying for, and they might give you an idea or two on how to do the graphics.

Another issue I see is pixellated borders, a big pet peeve for many foundry members. That is when the borders don't look smooth. Its mostly visible in the pink continent, because there are little light spots on the borders.
While not as extreme as this example, your image kinda feels that way in some places. The diamond on the left is bad, because you can see the edges are harsh and pixellated. The one on the right is better, because the edges are smooth and look more normal. In testing out ways to draw your lines, try to get them smooth like the right diamond, not rough like the left.
And, could you remove the water mark covering most of the yellow continent? It just doesn't look too great where it crosses into the grey continent.

For gameplay, I know nothing about how Romania is set up. But from how the map is set up right now, it looks kinda blocked together and doesn't really flow.
Its not really a problem right now, just a few changes might need to be made later on in development.

DiM, one of the best mapmakers in the foundry, is from Romania, but he has disappeared recently and hasn't been active in the forums at all....
If he ever shows up, I bet he'd be able to help you with the gameplay.

So, with all that, I think you should continue the map.
There are some great parts in your image already, you just need to pull up everything else to match it.

Postby bspride on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:02 am

like how the map looks...the only complaints i have are the title...I like it more centralized...but i really like your take on the compass...very ingenious...
Corporal bspride

Postby foregone on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:25 am

Busy with a revision, will come up at some point on the weekend, though it might come slower as I have to spend some time with significant other before she no longer talks to me, heh.

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:49 am

foregone wrote:Busy with a revision, will come up at some point on the weekend, though it might come slower as I have to spend some time with significant other before she no longer talks to me, heh.

just because they don't talk to you doesn't mean they don't love you.... stick with the map lol
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Re: Romania Revisited - v6 -

Postby foregone on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:15 pm

Updated. More commentary please.

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:24 pm

That looks much better!
It really has that hand-painted feel to it now.
the only thing i see is the bright white areas inside each territory. Could you bring the brightness down just a bit, so it more matches the colors of the continent they are in?

Other than that, looks good. nice update.

Postby cairnswk on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:31 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Hello foregone...first time i've looked at your map...well done so far.
I'm really impressed with the mountains, and the water-colour wash that you applied to the overall appearance.

The only thing i would comment on is the fact that now you are using very pale colours, i really had to look hard to differentiate between the continent colors, they seem very washed out.

Is there any chance you could:
1. order them from left to right (down) etc., across the map in the legend
2. or add a bolder version of the colour to the outside of the under-legend colour patch
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby whitestazn88 on Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:09 pm

the color for moldavia on the map and the territs is not matching up
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby foregone on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:34 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:That looks much better!
It really has that hand-painted feel to it now.
the only thing i see is the bright white areas inside each territory. Could you bring the brightness down just a bit, so it more matches the colors of the continent they are in?

Will do so in the next update.

cairnswk wrote:The only thing i would comment on is the fact that now you are using very pale colours, i really had to look hard to differentiate between the continent colors, they seem very washed out.

Is there any chance you could:
1. order them from left to right (down) etc., across the map in the legend
2. or add a bolder version of the colour to the outside of the under-legend colour patch

Will see what I can do to make it clearer in the map legend and try re-ordering it for clarity. Not sure how I'll get the colour bolder without having it look to different?

whitestazn88 wrote:the color for moldavia on the map and the territs is not matching up

As above, when I muck with that I'll try to get it closer.

Ta for the comments all. Will get the new revision out as soon as I can.

Re: Romania Revisited - v6.5 -

Postby foregone on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Okie dokie. Tried to improve the stuff commented on. And good news...the gf is currently still talking to me, heh.

Postby foregone on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:04 pm

Hmmmm...hoping I'm not forgotten down here. 8-) (Shameless bump)

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:54 am

for some reason, i really dislike that bottom left corner... its too plain and empty, especially for this map

i'd recommend you move the metal seal thingy down there, and move the title back into the upper right corner
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby MrBenn on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 am

The hand-drawn/watercolour effect looks spot on. My initial thought is that it might be worth trying to find a font that sits with the map better, rather than sitting 'on top' of it...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby foregone on Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:11 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:for some reason, i really dislike that bottom left corner... its too plain and empty, especially for this map

i'd recommend you move the metal seal thingy down there, and move the title back into the upper right corner

I'll give that a shot, it is quite barren.

MrBenn wrote:The hand-drawn/watercolour effect looks spot on. My initial thought is that it might be worth trying to find a font that sits with the map better, rather than sitting 'on top' of it...

Is it the font itself or the colours? I can take a look for another font to use but can't make it over flourishy as it becomes illegible on a smaller map (and many fonts are already so on the large map).

Ta guys.

Re: Romania Revisited - v7-

Postby foregone on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:49 am

Updated: Moved the coat of arms to the bottom left and the title to the top right.
Faded the territory names to match the map's feel.

On my mind: The map legend needs work. Would love some comments or suggestions on that front.
Does the font used for the territories work? Struggling to find one that works better. Anything too elaborate is illegible on a small map...

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:59 am

moving the coat of arms was a nice improvement
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:45 pm

[adv. Idea]

I'll leave a comment on the map sometime tomorrow. I don't have enough time to look over it right now.

EDIT: thread stickied.

Postby foregone on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:06 am

Cool. Look forward to it.

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box