Conquer Club

Antarctica v9 [I, Gp, Gr]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Antarctica v9 [I, Gp, Gr]

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:46 am

Last edited by e_i_pi on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:31 am, edited 112 times in total.
Captain e_i_pi

Re: Antarctica 2060 v1

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:57 am

thats not really antarctica...

but i guess it looks cool. ish
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:00 am

Why 2060? It seems to me that the borders are done using geographical and political borders that exist today, in 2008. I'd much rather see "Antarctica" than "Antarctica 2060."
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:13 am

whitestazn88 wrote:thats not really antarctica...

but i guess it looks cool. ish

It's Antartica without the ice. Doesn't account for sea level rises though.

ZeakCytho wrote:Why 2060? It seems to me that the borders are done using geographical and political borders that exist today, in 2008. I'd much rather see "Antarctica" than "Antarctica 2060."

Wikipedia wrote:The Antarctic Treaty was signed in 1959 by twelve countries; to date, forty-six countries have signed the treaty. The treaty prohibits military activities and mineral mining, supports scientific research, and protects the continent's ecozone.

There has to be some sort of premise for fighting there. I'm working on version 2, where there will be a unique gameplay element that will further support it being time-based.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby InkL0sed on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:18 am

Wow, this looks really nice.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby foregone on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:23 am

I'd really like to see this develop. The premise resonates with me for some unknown reason and the graphics look like they could come out really nicely.
Corporal 1st Class foregone

Postby Androidz on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:59 pm

Good map but.

What when we reach 2060 and it isint like that?? I dont think this will happen in 50years sorry. Try makeing a bigger diffrence.
Private Androidz

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:39 pm

oh, it looked kinda like pangea to me... with the whole long part that looks like south america
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:40 pm

e_i_pi wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Why 2060? It seems to me that the borders are done using geographical and political borders that exist today, in 2008. I'd much rather see "Antarctica" than "Antarctica 2060."

Wikipedia wrote:The Antarctic Treaty was signed in 1959 by twelve countries; to date, forty-six countries have signed the treaty. The treaty prohibits military activities and mineral mining, supports scientific research, and protects the continent's ecozone.

There has to be some sort of premise for fighting there. I'm working on version 2, where there will be a unique gameplay element that will further support it being time-based.

I was unaware of that treaty, thanks for the info. But I'm not sure I agree with your argument - does there really need to be a reason for fighting? Is there a reason for fighting on a Chinese Checkers or Crossword board? And what exactly is 8 thoughts, anyway? From a more geographical standpoint, maps such as NYC or San Francisco really don't have a militant premise behind them. I don't think it's a major problem that in reality there is no military presence in Antarctica. Plus, what happens to the map concept if the treaty gets renewed in 2059?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby The Viking on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:22 pm

If this is 2060 and the nations of the world have decided to colonize antarctica, I say make some fun names.
Like, I don't know, Robot Island or something :D
Bad example but you get the idea.
Corporal 1st Class The Viking

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:06 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Plus, what happens to the map concept if the treaty gets renewed in 2059?

Ask me that in 2059.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:32 pm

i figure its gonna be a desert by 2060... so you should incorporate that
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:38 pm

You are using some of the original colony nicknales aye? Norwegian?
Anyway, the other way to take it is to us the UN for your name choices. Use names/ words from these nations. Today's world powers would be the colonizing countries, so..

United States, England, France, Russia, and China
Though maybe you could sneek a Japanese, or Saudi name in there too.
I just think that using names from these nations would resonate better with your concept story.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:55 am

I was thinking more along the lines of the ships being from nations, so you would have your colonial interests in there such as USA, Russia, Norway, etc. I'll probably end up renaming this. The main reason for it being set in the near future is that this is a map of Antarctic land masses, without the ice. Antarctica with ice is just kind of blobby with some mountains - not too fun. Though I saw a scrap-heaped idea of using Antarctic research stations as territories, which sounded cool, but I wanted to go with my own idea, and I think the Antarctica no ice shape is nice. A long peninsula, islands, isthmus, and 4 clearly defined continents in the bulk part.
Captain e_i_pi

Re: Antarctica Colonies v1

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:45 pm

e_i_pi wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of the ships being from nations, so you would have your colonial interests in there such as USA, Russia, Norway, etc.

?????
I don't know what you ment by this. But I still say today's most powerful nations would have competing interests in your Antartica, and would be naming their stkes in their native languages. Are there going to be ships?

I'm digging the pretty blues. And the small 'continents.' Very noob friendly map.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:14 pm

I still say you should keep the borders as are now, forget about adding any ships or more complicated gameplay elements, and drop the 2060 idea. It'd be a great map then...
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:58 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:I still say you should keep the borders as are now, forget about adding any ships or more complicated gameplay elements, and drop the 2060 idea. It'd be a great map then...

I agree. Just make this with classic gameplay and you will do fine. We have a map of every other continent so far, why not antarctica? There's no need to add any major plot device or gimmicks.
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:07 pm

i just realized how wasteful your space is... i'm sure this could be situated in another way to make the ships areas bigger, as well as the title and legend....
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:46 pm

Mr. Squirrel wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I still say you should keep the borders as are now, forget about adding any ships or more complicated gameplay elements, and drop the 2060 idea. It'd be a great map then...

I agree. Just make this with classic gameplay and you will do fine. We have a map of every other continent so far, why not antarctica? There's no need to add any major plot device or gimmicks.

Alright, I'll run with a vanilla model. I'm still not sure about some of the continents. Here's why:

DEFENSIVE BORDERS : PROVINCES - Continent name - Continent colour

2:7 - Queen Maud Land - Yellow
4:4 - East Antarctica - Red
4:7 - Wilkes Land - Lavender
3:4 - Victoria Land - Orange
3:4 - Polar Plateau - Sky Blue
4:4 - West Antarctica - Mauve
2:6 - Marie Byrd Land - Navy Blue
2:7 - Peninsula - Green

The problem I see right now is that the smaller continents have 3-4 defensive borders, and the larger ones only have 2 (apart from Wilkes which has 4).

I'm thinking it needs some sea attack routes, and not necessarily the ones that look common-sense. Perhaps Larsen-Coats and/or Smith-Kohler. I'm a little concerned about Peninsula and Queen Maud Land having only 2 defence borders, especially considering something like East Antarctica has 4. Marie Byrd doesn't matter so much as it has 4 external borders, but Peninsula only has 2, and QMLand has only 3. Ideas anyone?
Captain e_i_pi

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:50 pm

e_i_pi wrote:I'm thinking it needs some sea attack routes, and not necessarily the ones that look common-sense. Perhaps Larsen-Coats and/or Smith-Kohler. I'm a little concerned about Peninsula and Queen Maud Land having only 2 defence borders, especially considering something like East Antarctica has 4. Marie Byrd doesn't matter so much as it has 4 external borders, but Peninsula only has 2, and QMLand has only 3. Ideas anyone?

You should definitely add sea routes to increase the number of borders on the larger continents, but make it so there are some continents (smaller ones) that can be held easily at the start of the game. One of the things that bugs me about the Arctic map is that there are none of these - every continent has a bunch of borders.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby e_i_pi on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:01 am

whitestazn88 wrote:i just realized how wasteful your space is... i'm sure this could be situated in another way to make the ships areas bigger, as well as the title and legend....

If I'm running with vanilla, I don't think the layout will cause a space problem. The entire image, as it stands, is 750x750 which fits the constraints of large-size easily. If I crop out the space round the outside you're still looking at 700x630. There is plenty of space in the bottom left for the legend and title, and my signature can squeeze in bottom right without problems.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby e_i_pi on Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:10 am

ZeakCytho wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:I'm thinking it needs some sea attack routes, and not necessarily the ones that look common-sense. Perhaps Larsen-Coats and/or Smith-Kohler. I'm a little concerned about Peninsula and Queen Maud Land having only 2 defence borders, especially considering something like East Antarctica has 4. Marie Byrd doesn't matter so much as it has 4 external borders, but Peninsula only has 2, and QMLand has only 3. Ideas anyone?

You should definitely add sea routes to increase the number of borders on the larger continents, but make it so there are some continents (smaller ones) that can be held easily at the start of the game. One of the things that bugs me about the Arctic map is that there are none of these - every continent has a bunch of borders.

Yeah, that's what's worrying me here. I don't want it to just be a slug-fest with no continents held, that's boring IMO.

Some ideas that spring to mind in terms of closing off borders:

• Extend Transantarctic mountain impassable to close off the McMurdo-Transantarctic border
  • Extend Oates up to McMurdo, closing off the David-Byrd and David-Ninnis borders
  • Extend Shirase to the coastline, closing off the PrinceHarald-Enderby border
  • Extend Berkner to the Transantarctic impassable, closing off the Reedy-SupportForce border

Another possibility is extend the Filcher border down, so that it directly borders Recovery. I could also combine Filcher with either Coats or Stancomb to reduce the province count by 1 in Queen Maud Land. This would give QMLand 6 provinces with 3 borders internal, 3 borders external. Then, one sea route with Peninsula would make that continent just about right I think.
Captain e_i_pi

Re: Antarctica Colonies v2

Postby e_i_pi on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:18 am

ANTARCTICA COLONIES v2.0
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll71/e_i_pi/Antarcticav2.jpg

List of changes:
  • Removed some of the islands, in particular the ones in the bay between Palmer and Coats, to reduce border ambiguity
  • Extended the mountain range in Marie Byrd Land to close off the border between Ross and Getz
  • Added the provinces: Mary, Sabrina, Barrier, South Pole, Mac Robertson
  • Extended Berkner to the mountains, to close the border between Reedy and Support Force
  • Made the mountains between Pine Is, Ronne, and Palmer more aesthetic
  • Darkened all the provinces a little to make them more saturated

Gameplay Suggestion:
  • All territories will start neutral.
  • Eight ships will lie off the coast, each ship will autodeploy 1 or 2 armies.
  • Each ship will have 2 attack routes to the mainland.
  • Each ship can reach the South Pole in at least 5 moves through at least one attack route. Every path to the South Pole crosses with at least one other players path.
  • Almost all ships can land on two continents. All continents have at least 2 contending landing points.
  • Every landing point has at least one province separating them from the nearest opponents landing points.
  • So, no one player should have a distinct advantage over any other player.
  • South Pole cannot attack adjacent provinces, but it can bombard ANY ship.
  • What this will mean, in terms of gameplay, is people will land on Antarctica, make beach-heads, and bee-line for the South Pole. The first player / team to reach the South Pole has a distinct advantage in that they can bombard another players ships and PERMANENTLY remove their autodeploy.

Landing points:
  • Graham / Norvegia
  • Palmer / Coats
  • Smith / Thwaite
  • Getz / Cape Adare
  • Ross / Transantarctic
  • Mertz / Sabrina
  • Knox / Mary
  • Prince Harald / Mac Robertson
Last edited by e_i_pi on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain e_i_pi

Re: Antarctica Colonies v3

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:35 am

Version 3.0 is up folks

Feedback would be appreciated.

This is a first draft of a few things: The ships, the army circles, the bonuses, and the legend. So there is plenty to nit-pick :) I haven't scrutinised for tiny mistakes, so feel free to tear it to pieces :D
Captain e_i_pi

Re: Antarctic Colonies v3

Postby lanyards on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 am

Does all the text have to be curved, crooked, and sideways?

--lanyards
WANT AN ADVANTAGE WHILE WORKING TOWARDS MEDALS?
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=529&t=226714
Major lanyards

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas