Conquer Club

Malta [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Malta [Quenched]

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:51 pm

Latest version of the map - 4.21a

Previous version of the map - 4.20

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to make an attempt at creating a Malta map. This is the first draft of the map.

There are 32 regions in all. Apart from the normal bonuses I have added a capital city bonus for holding the capital city, a main cities bonus for occupying the three main cities and a land's end bonus for occupying the northernmost tip of Gozo and the southernmost tip of Malta.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.[/img]
Last edited by Ruben Cassar on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:56 pm, edited 51 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:30 pm

Bonuses are too high, all of them except for North Malta should be lowered. Also, i dont' tihnk the capital city idea is a good idea, since whoever starts off with it gets a 33% bonus over the other guys.

my suggestion for bonuses
Grand Harbor: 4
South Malta: 3
Western Malta: 5
North East Malta: 2
North Malta: 3
South Gozo: 3
North Gozo: 3

I like the main city and Land's End, but i think Lands End is too few countries.
The bonus for the main cities is too alrge as well. It should be 2, and make the capital a major city instead of giving it that bonus.
Private cowshrptrn

Postby Ka-Zethica on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:50 pm

I like the map, is there a way to make it so no one starts out with the capitol? Like have a computer player start there, and you have to attack and win to get it.
Private Ka-Zethica

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:01 pm

cowshrptrn wrote:Bonuses are too high, all of them except for North Malta should be lowered. Also, i dont' tihnk the capital city idea is a good idea, since whoever starts off with it gets a 33% bonus over the other guys.

my suggestion for bonuses
Grand Harbor: 4
South Malta: 3
Western Malta: 5
North East Malta: 2
North Malta: 3
South Gozo: 3
North Gozo: 3

I like the main city and Land's End, but i think Lands End is too few countries.
The bonus for the main cities is too alrge as well. It should be 2, and make the capital a major city instead of giving it that bonus.

I agree that the bonuses are too high. I will have to revise them.

I did not understand exactly what you meant by the land's end regions being too few. You mean I should make 3 or 4 regions instead of 2?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:04 pm

Ka-Zethica wrote:I like the map, is there a way to make it so no one starts out with the capitol? Like have a computer player start there, and you have to attack and win to get it.

Yes, I think I agree with you. Maybe I could make the capital and the main cities neutral so that players would have to attack them as you suggest. The capital would have say 5 armies defending it instead of the usual 3 to make it more difficult to get as it has a bonus. What do you think?
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ka-Zethica on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:08 pm

That would be perfect.
Private Ka-Zethica

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:27 pm

Ruben Cassar wrote:I did not understand exactly what you meant by the land's end regions being too few. You mean I should make 3 or 4 regions instead of 2?

Yes, but i dont' see how you can do that without moving them off away from the ends of the island, making them no longer "land's end".

Maybe jsut combine lands end with the major city concept, maybe you gain an extra army for every 2 significant countries you own, or something liek that. I tihnk your country - bonus ratios are too high
Private cowshrptrn

Postby KEYOGI on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:00 pm

The map looks great, but I have two concerns. The bonuses, which have already been brought up... and the impassable objects. Can't you replace them with mountains, rivers or something other than circles?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby Ka-Zethica on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:12 pm

Or put somthing in like the darker lines on the map Ancient Greece, between Thessaly and Epirus. Or like the impassable border on North Amercia, between Idaho and Oregon(The darker brown lines) But color them to match the color theme on your map.

Other than the bonuses and the borders, i'd say the map is ready to go online. :wink:
Private Ka-Zethica

Postby cowshrptrn on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:15 pm

I'd deinately change the font, plus the compass rose looks liek a d-pad, you might want to make the points something other than rectangles
Private cowshrptrn

Postby Sammy gags on Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:30 pm

i like the ideas u have like the capital bonus & main cities bonus
Lieutenant Sammy gags

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:28 am

I like the lands end bonus, leave it the way it is. Agree with Cowshrptrn that u need to change the capital city bonus to main city bonus.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:08 am

I will see if I can change the borders in my second draft. I don't think mountains are a good idea since there are no mountains in Malta. Maybe I will use a dark border but definetely not something that clutters the map. I will think about it.

As for the compass rose, that's meant to be symbolic. That cross is the George Cross which was awarded to Malta by King George VI during World War II for galantry and honour when Malta was constantly bombed by the Axis. In fact it can also be found on the national flag. Anyone who wants to know more about it can go here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/15/newsid_3530000/3530301.stm

As for the other cross which I also use as an avatar, that's the Maltese cross which was and still is the emblem of the Knights of St. John.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby qeee1 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:52 am

North Gozo and South Gozo are far too powerful, you take both of those and you've a 9 army bonus with only 1 entry point.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 am

qeee1 wrote:North Gozo and South Gozo are far too powerful, you take both of those and you've a 9 army bonus with only 1 entry point.

Good point. I will add another sea route link from Mgarr to Sannat apart from revising the bonuses.
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Ruben Cassar on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:19 am

Ok I have made some changes to the map.

I have revised the bonuses. Also note that if you have the three main cities (one of them being the capital) you get a 3 unit bonus but not a 3 + 1 bonus for owning the capital.

I have also added a sea route from Mgarr to Sannat to make Gozo more accesible.

Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby gavin_sidhu on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 am

It looks as it has been made with colouring pencils, I suggest you ditch that look. The background doesnt look very watery either.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Forza AZ on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:33 am

cowshrptrn wrote:Bonuses are too high, all of them except for North Malta should be lowered. Also, i dont' tihnk the capital city idea is a good idea, since whoever starts off with it gets a 33% bonus over the other guys.

The same is also the case in the Montreal map with Downtown. So just 1 for the capital shoudn't be a problem here I think.
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby qeee1 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:38 am

I still say North and South Gonzo are too High, they're easier to hold onto than North and NE Malta.

Change the sea colour anyway, it looks off.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby sully800 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Ka-Zethica wrote:Other than the bonuses and the borders, i'd say the map is ready to go online. :wink:

I'm glad you don't control the foundry production then! :lol:
Major sully800

Postby happysadfun on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:32 pm

Oooh.... very good. A little less crayon-ey, and I could make army circles for ya.
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 pm

I haven't had the time to give the map a proper look over at the moment, hopefully I'll have time later tonight.

The look and feel....I like it. It's different and unique...unlike anything else on CC. I'd suggest though maybe making things a little less strikingly bright, but keep the over all feel you have going. Perhaps we may look into toning down the ocean slightly, but that is a minor issue.

That's it for now, when I have more time, I will be back!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:01 pm

Ok since many people have been complaining on the background I started working on an alternate version of the map with a different background. I have also created different regions and the total number is now 44. Which one do you prefer, version 1 or version 2 (seen below).

Colonel Ruben Cassar

Postby Lupo on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Instead i liked your previous map style, wasn't so bad as someone said.. and i appreciated also the "pencil" style!
Sergeant 1st Class Lupo

Postby Ruben Cassar on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:30 pm

Lupo wrote:Instead i liked your previous map style, wasn't so bad as someone said.. and i appreciated also the "pencil" style!

Ok I will put up a poll so that people can vote. I think I prefer the first one as well...
Colonel Ruben Cassar

Next

Return to The Atlas