Conquer Club

Europe 1914 [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: EUROPE 1914---new update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 22 avg page 1-2

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:12 pm

qwert wrote:
by ZeakCytho on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:49 am

For a continent on the brink of war, the colors seem a bit too bright to me.

Dont like colours?What brink mean?
I thinking that brightnes look good with rest of map,but maybe aim wrong?

Brink is the edge - the continent was about to go to war. The brightness looks good, but feels out of place given the theme of the map. I'd prefer some darker shades.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Mr. Squirrel on Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:58 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:
qwert wrote:
by ZeakCytho on Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:49 am

For a continent on the brink of war, the colors seem a bit too bright to me.

Dont like colours?What brink mean?
I thinking that brightnes look good with rest of map,but maybe aim wrong?

Brink is the edge - the continent was about to go to war. The brightness looks good, but feels out of place given the theme of the map. I'd prefer some darker shades.

I think the colors you used are great, but like Zeak said, they need to be toned down a bit. This whole map should be made a bit darker. Otherwise, I think the browns, greens and reddish colors look good
Lieutenant Mr. Squirrel

Postby Qwert on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:15 am

I see,more darken

by Cdkutusu on Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:39 pm

I think the Legend needs reworking, at least the parts of Entente Powers and Central Powers

You don't need to write all the small kindoms in Entente Powers, I guess Russia, French and British would be enough.
In any case, your bonuses are close to that anyway.

Also, you didn't show connection to British islands, how will be the passing?
You can arrange Montenegro and Albania better, just putting M. and A is not so good I think

But map looks promising, I liked the outline especially.
One more thing, you can choose more distinctive and darker colors for continents. It would look better for a dark war

Keep up good work Cheers

I put all country who military participiated in First war,and without some countries who knows what will hepend-expecialy without Italy,Serbia and Grecce.
Conection will be add later.
Montenegro and Albania arrange-can you give more inforamcion abouth that.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914---new update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!24 avg page 1-2

Postby Qwert on Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:07 pm

new update-colours is more darken,and also change several other things.
Click image to enlarge.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:36 pm

Stikied maybe?Advanced idea Maybe?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby edbeard on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:43 pm

It feels like there's too much going on graphically.

The Entente Powers and Central Powers boxes stand out too much for me. Maybe fade the background of those boxes so the words in them are more readable and it might take the focus off of those boxes.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Qwert on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:48 pm

by edbeard on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 pm

It feels like there's too much going on graphically.

The Entente Powers and Central Powers boxes stand out too much for me. Maybe fade the background of those boxes so the words in them are more readable and it might take the focus off of those boxes.

You are first who tell me that aim going to much on graphicaly,usualy some guys tell that aim must work on graphich ;)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:56 pm

Breaking off from the stamp licking thread, here's the response you wanted.

I don't think this map is ready for the ideas stamp quite yet. There are a few requirements for the ideas stamp that haven't been completed/explained yet.
Here they are, written in pink:
Ideas Stamp Explanation wrote:2) Have a playable image. If we quenched it people should be able toplay on it. Ths should included the following:
* Territory names Norway and Sweden don't have names or army circles. I don't know if that is right because I haven't read the entire thread yet. But they look like normal territories, they just don't have names or circles on them. If those aren't actual territories, I think you should remove the border splitting it in half, so people don't get confused. and your territories M, A, Be, and Bs. Those will get confusing, having only one letter to represent the name. M could be mistaken for Moscow, A could be Ankara, Be could be Berlin or Belarus. That could get confusing, you should probably rework the image a bit so you could use a bigger name to represent each place.
* Working legends The Entente/Central powers boxes. Are they meant to help the map or are they just extra information boxes that don't contribute to gameplay? If they are meant to help the gameplay, they don't explain anything, they just list some flags. nothing that correlates to the map.
* Speculative Bonuses All your army bonuses are listed as 0. The map needs to have actual numbers, not just 0s, before you can get a stamp.
* Tentative Border Divisions Same problem with Norway/Sweden border. If they aren't territories, I don't think they should have a line, so no one gets confused.

If you can get each of those things, then I think you'll be ready for your stamp.
Good luck. :)
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby Qwert on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:12 pm

Wcaclimbing.i must say that aim very possitive supprised with these Post.
These deserve =D> . If other mod try to work like you work,then Future of Foundry is very bright. Very clear and good explane what must to do. =D>
I will update when i finish all these what you mention.

Working legends The Entente/Central powers boxes. Are they meant to help the map or are they just extra information boxes that don't contribute to gameplay? If they are meant to help the gameplay, they don't explain anything, they just list some flags. nothing that correlates to the map.

These is only a decorative to people understand who present what on map,you will be supprised that you have so many people who dont know nothing abouth Europe in 1914 years.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:21 pm

Love the map Qwert.

But i aint feeling that red. Could you try useing diffrent colours?

Also since you've added the powers to the map could you try use them for unique gameplay?? I think that will give more sense since you want to add them.
Private Androidz

Postby Qwert on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:40 pm

by Androidz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Love the map Qwert.

Also since you've added the powers to the map could you try use them for unique gameplay?? I think that will give more sense since you want to add them.

Why you dont like red colour? I take these because red is nacional colour of Turkey.

Not possible to add these for unique gameplay,its only show what country belong to what powers.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:44 pm

qwert wrote:
by Androidz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:21 pm

Love the map Qwert.

Why you dont like red colour? I take these because red is nacional colour of Turkey.

Not possible to add these for unique gameplay,its only show what country belong to what powers.

1. Its to fire'y (kinda bright). Try to saturate it a bit?

2. Ive tought about a few ways to do it Unqiue its up to you if you want to use it. (PS: i know they show the powers:D)

- Make the capital of each "Powers" Give bonus (Etc hold 3/4 Powers Captial for +3/+4)

- Another way is to give bonus for All the "normal Powers" and One bonus for all Central powers. Or all powers capitals Etc.
Private Androidz

Postby Qwert on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:57 pm

2. Ive tought about a few ways to do it Unqiue its up to you if you want to use it. (PS: i know they show the powers:D)

- Make the capital of each "Powers" Give bonus (Etc hold 3/4 Powers Captial for +3/+4)

- Another way is to give bonus for All the "normal Powers" and One bonus for all Central powers. Or all powers capitals Etc.

1.Bright? Are you sure? All colours is much darken then previous update-look page 1.
2.Its quit dificulty to achive these because you have countries who have only one terittory,and some country is full of these capitals(example Balkan).
But you can show me full list have you see these unique bonus.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Androidz on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:11 pm

qwert wrote:

1.Bright? Are you sure? All colours is much darken then previous update-look page 1.
2.Its quit dificulty to achive these because you have countries who have only one terittory,and some country is full of these capitals(example Balkan).
But you can show me full list have you see these unique bonus.

1. I dont think they "Unite" as good with Green and orange some way. verry hard to explain:O Just try to saturate it just a littlebit for testing? (Might be the yellow background which do this.)

2. I will see what i can do...i gonna try the Idea 2. Unite All the powers...or something:D
Private Androidz

Postby Cdkutusu on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:40 am

Hey, Montenegro and Albania should be written completely, now they are just written M. and A.
Maybe you can say if somebody unites 1 from Entente and one from Central powers, you can give additional bonus of +1? Like eliminating one opponent in the war or something. Can be nicer like that.

Colors look nicer now, by the way :)
Corporal Cdkutusu

Postby Incandenza on Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:49 am

A couple small things:

Greece is misspelled as "Grecce" on both the map and the legend.

"London" seems like it should be "England".

Love the red, btw.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Qwert on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:16 am

by Incandenza on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am

A couple small things:

Greece is misspelled as "Grecce" on both the map and the legend.

"London" seems like it should be "England".

Love the red, btw.

Greece-ok i will fix.
London-maybe you notice that i put all capital from major powers ;)

I love to red colour.

by Cdkutusu on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:40 am

Hey, Montenegro and Albania should be written completely, now they are just written M. and A.
Maybe you can say if somebody unites 1 from Entente and one from Central powers, you can give additional bonus of +1? Like eliminating one opponent in the war or something. Can be nicer like that.

Colors look nicer now, by the way

Ofcourse i will create explanation box for all short names
Be-Belgium
Bs-Bessarabia
A-Albania
M-Montenegro
----------------------
i will try to figure something abouth unique bonuses :-k
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: EUROPE 1914--------------RETURNING page 1

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:38 am

qwert wrote:I thinking that if i have free space on map to create several insets for main fronts-Western front-Thessalonika front-Eastern front,but these all
depend on space.

Don't , keep it "global"..
though you may create some more smaller territories in the west and other areas where progress was small (or none at all :s) .
Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intellegor ulli.
Major lt_oddball

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:51 am

I dont' like to see Italy, France, Belgium and Britain (and Ireland?) combined in one bonuszone/colour.
National pride was at its peak in those days... so keep them separate please, with individual bonuszones, and colours.
You don't combine Germany and Austria too , do you?

Let the territory sizes be defined by the likeliness for footfolk in those days to be able to move (quickly or rather not quickly) through it.
That means (again) looking at natural barriers (large rivers and mountain ranges) and ...railway lines !
The reason that Germany was initially so swift is that they had a larger raised army from onset, thus overwhelmed the Belgians/French -initially- and their railway transport from all kazernen from Germany to the west border.
I suppose only Britain and Germany had a large railway system/plan.... other places (France incl) were less dense or varied..so that means marching all the way..

Map: Take scissors, cut a horizontal line from left just above Paris and let it meet with a vertical scissors cut from above over the West German Border. Blow up that rectangle with fixed South-East corner Point until Britain shows only a part on the left side.
Germany never invaded England (and would not even be capable of doing so), so you won't miss Great-Britain as such on this Map (of course leaving one or 2 circles).
You then have the opportunity to dissect the west-front (;p) in many more smaller territories (and not having to make a separate minimap )

Don't forget to use the sea lanes and that having control over a sealane by an opponent means "starvation" of England/Britain!
Last edited by lt_oddball on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major lt_oddball

Postby t-o-m on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:57 am

qwert can we lose the exclamation marks please?
I think its a bit excessive to have all capital letters and have almost a line of exclamation marks to go with it.
Major t-o-m

Postby Qwert on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:38 am

Don't , keep it "global"..
though you may create some more smaller territories in the west and other areas where progress was small (or none at all :s) .

i say these in begining,and now i dont have space for these insets,any way without inset these map will have almost 50 terittory.

by lt_oddball on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:51 pm

I dont' like to see Italy, France, Belgium and Britain (and Ireland?) combined in one bonuszone/colour.
National pride was at its peak in those days... so keep them separate please, with individual bonuszones, and colours.
You don't combine Germany and Austria too , do you?

Let the territory sizes be defined by the likeliness for footfolk in those days to be able to move (quickly or rather not quickly) through it.
That means (again) looking at natural barriers (large rivers and mountain ranges) and ...railway lines !
The reason that Germany was initially so swift is that they had a larger raised army from onset, thus overwhelmed the Belgians/French -initially- and their railway transport from all kazernen from Germany to the west border.
I suppose only Britain and Germany had a large railway system/plan.... other places (France incl) were less dense or varied..so that means marching all the way..

Map: Take scissors, cut a horizontal line from left just above Paris and let it meet with a vertical scissors cut from above over the West German Border. Blow up that rectangle with fixed South-East corner Point until Britain shows only a part on the left side.
Germany never invaded England (and would not even be capable of doing so), so you won't miss Great-Britain as such on this Map (of course leaving one or 2 circles).
You then have the opportunity to dissect the west-front (;p) in many more smaller territories (and not having to make a separate minimap )

Don't forget to use the sea lanes and that having control over a sealane by an opponent means "starvation" of England/Britain!

I know that you dont like,but these is Western ally,and i dont have space to create more terittory. If i create like you say,then England will have only 3 terittory,France 4,and italy 4,and where to put Belgium with one terittory?
Austria and Germany what very large country then England and Italy or France.

Rail way? I whas thinking that these map be without any Bariers.

Aim not understand these thing with scissors.

England newer invade Germany. ;)
Sea lanes?

by t-o-m on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:57 pm

qwert can we lose the exclamation marks please?
I think its a bit excessive to have all capital letters and have almost a line of exclamation marks to go with it.

What you mean?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby lt_oddball on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:16 pm

Where other commentors bother about colours, I like to think first about the game concept.
What feeling is it that you want to simulate with this map ?

Is it just any other map with a bunch of territories and some standard n/3 + border x n bonus ? Then it won't stand out of any other map.
However, If you like to implement some of the historical hardships/problems of those times in the map, then you should give a long thought before about e.g.
#the sluggish struggle on the west front (game technique: relatively more smaller territories and a "labyrinth" of one direction attacks, thus requiring a pop-up/zoom in of that area) and NorthItaly sector.

#Instead of a SEPARATE Minimap that presents twice the map, better pop it up, blow up that sector by 300%.

#think about how to implement the U-boat stranglehold of Germany on Britain (effectively worse than in ww2 !!)..(like I said..create some North-Sea zones from which you can't invade England(but bombard it from the sea=starving off)..but England's bonus (of 2 territories) won't yield a bonus until also controlling a couple of sea "territories" (with which you get maybe 5 territories in total for the England Bonus).

# think about leaving out parts that were of no interest to either warparty (Corsica ? Sardinia ? Crete ? N-Africa? Iberia? Scandinavia?) so to create more free Map space.

# Argument for keeping "western Allies" united bonus area is weak. If a nation has few territories, then you give it little bonus. Simple.
And let's face it..when germany is breached it is harder to reorganize (thus no bonus armies) than when ONE country of your western allies is breached (say Belgium only) You still would have INTACT France and INTACT Britain organised and thus capable of forming armies..hence to take away their bonus is unfair/unrealistic.

#You are not bounded by the geographic map.. it's a THEME map, so of course you can enlarge areas of special interest (west front) and reduce size of areas that have little interest (Neutral countries Holland Switserland etc and areas that saw relatively little action (Ottoman empire; really Akaba and Syria and also Gallapoli in terms of troops over time is peanuts compared to west and east fronts..). You get a skewed map, but that 's no problem for a THEME map like this.

;)
If it wasn't for the armistice that germany pushed for(!), the brits WOULD have run over Germany with their Tanks and American allies! :mrgreen:
whereas Germany would NEVER be capable(!) of raising a transport fleet and get it safely and securely past the Royal Navy...
#-o
Major lt_oddball

Postby Qwert on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 am

It odball,these map represent countries and allies before start of WWI.that why tittle is EUROPE 1914. So no insets of Western Front or eastern front. So forget to any fronts and battles.
I think that is better to have all together Western allies,instead that Belgium have one country.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby lt_oddball on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:09 am

qwert wrote:It odball,these map represent countries and allies before start of WWI.that why tittle is EUROPE 1914. So no insets of Western Front or eastern front. So forget to any fronts and battles.
I think that is better to have all together Western allies,instead that Belgium have one country.

Still not convincing argument. But if you don't want to implement ww1 effects, and only work with maps, lands, territories according to standard Risk concepts then at least what you should do is to create similar sized bonusareas:
Germany = 6 Austria = 6 Balkans = 6 Ottoman = 7 (slightly larger empire) Russia = 10 (large empire but also having his back covered) and then you have the western allies = 12 ?!?! twelve ???
That alone is argument enough to split it in two bonuszones of 6 and 6 !
Now there is NO way a player can conquer the "western allies" in the same time as Germany or Austria or Balkans.

Besides in the Balkans you have a pro western Rumania along a pro German Bulgaria..so go figure how on earth you could combine that into one bonuszone ?!?!?
Major lt_oddball

Postby Qwert on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:16 am

Still not convincing argument. But if you don't want to implement ww1 effects, and only work with maps, lands, territories according to standard Risk concepts then at least what you should do is to create similar sized bonusareas:
Germany = 6 Austria = 6 Balkans = 6 Ottoman = 7 (slightly larger empire) Russia = 10 (large empire but also having his back covered) and then you have the western allies = 12 ?!?! twelve ???
That alone is argument enough to split it in two bonuszones of 6 and 6 !
Now there is NO way a player can conquer the "western allies" in the same time as Germany or Austria or Balkans.

Besides in the Balkans you have a pro western Rumania along a pro German Bulgaria..so go figure how on earth you could combine that into one bonuszone ?!?!?

What you suprised abouth Western Allied have 12-these is 3 country in one -Britain,France and Italy,Russia is european part and its enough 10.
Dont worry i prepare unique bonuses, where you need to hold some number of Entente or Cental powers terittory to get bonus.
These is Balkans and its normal that go in one bonus zone,but All terittory except Bulgaria will be aditionaly candidate for Unique bonuses. Do you want to tell me that Bulgaria must be separate terittory in Balkan? I dont see any problem to stay with Balkans.Also Romania is part of Entente powers,like Serbia,Greece,Montenegro and Albania,but they not a part of Western Allied.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas