Conquer Club

DSL Tournament 2008 [Canceled]

Tournaments that are no longer happening

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

DSL Tournament 2008 [Canceled]

Postby Rumondo on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:48 pm

Back after a few months hiatus I've decided to bring back the DSL tournament I ran last year.

Because of the turnout last year I'll first open up invitations to the 32 who competed in last year's version.

This tournament is ideally for people who play Dark and Shattered Lands as well as Conquer Club. If you have a different name on CC than your character name on DSL let me know which one you'd like me to use so we can keep everything straight.

The format isn't set in stone at this point, but I do know it will begin with round robin pool play in groups of 4 that will lead to a seeded double elimination bracket.

Gameplay will be 1-1 no cards,there will be 4 divisions that feed into the bracket and unless decided otherwise each division will play on a separate map.

I've already sent out the first batch of PM's (either on CC or DSL), but please post here if you are planning to participate.

I probably won't put a max on entrants I just ask that since this is a private tournament you do in fact play on Dark and Shattered Lands.

Their will be prizes for the top three finishers although I haven't finalized anything last year it was
1st - 100 eggs
2nd - 50 eggs
3rd - 25 eggs
Private 1st Class Rumondo

Re: DSL Tournament 2008

-= Reserved for the Bracket =-

-= Reserved for Rankings =-

Postby Tuxguy on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:05 pm

id like in
Corporal 1st Class Tuxguy

Postby Night Strike on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Rumondo wrote:I probably won't put a max on entrants I just ask that since this is a private tournament you do in fact play on Dark and Shattered Lands.

Welcome back Rumondo. I need you to take a few minutes to look through our Tournament Handbook. Your tournament must have at least 50% of your spots open for the public to join in order to receive Tournament Privileges. If you wish to continue with this being a private tournament, I'll have to move you over to the Callouts forum, and the tournament will have to be run with private games. Thanks.

~Night Strike
Tournament Director
Major Night Strike

Postby elmerfudd on Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:37 pm

i like to play in your tournament. i dont play those clubs but i do play play in landgrab and grand strategy. if you tell me how to join dark and shattered lands i like to check it out
Corporal 1st Class elmerfudd

Postby Rumondo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:14 am

Let me start off by explaining that I ran this tournament last year through CC and it was a huge success.We had about 30 members compete and the Tournament took a little over a month. First of all it allowed me to find many DSLers on CC to continue to play with, and for CC I know of at least 10 people who added premium accounts as a direct result of the tournament. (Win-Win)

Second of all, I put in all the effort to run this tournament outside of being granted tournament privledges I do all the work like everyone else on here who runs a tournament. I enjoy playing on CC and enter public tournaments from time to time, but there is satisfaction in competing against my peers that I socialize with regularly in a tournament format.

I could understand if it required work on the tournament staff, but considering all I ask is to be granted the privledges to run it myself I'm confused. It would be a nightmare to try to run a 30+ man tournament simply through private games not to mention that not everyone who participates is a premium member.

I have nothing against the CC community and have participated in a number of tournaments on here last year, but if I open up 50% to the CC community the tournament becomes unfeasable.

A. Unless you play on DSL the prizes offered obviously have no appeal.
B. I have to turn a 30-40 person tournament into a 70-80 person tournament (I'm sure you understand the time constraints on such)
C. There are plenty of people who come over that are new to CC and will be at a disadvantage against many of the usual CC tournament players.

I won't post a link to DSL unless a Mod gives me permission, CC is the only game I'm allowed to link to on the DS-forums I would imagine CC has rules against promoting other games on here as well.

Postby Steelhorse on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:50 am

Hi Rumondo,

I understand your points, and I think it sounds like a fun and interesting tournament. But, Night is correct. In fairness to other tournament organnizers and those who wish to play in tourneys, it really must be opened at least to 50% of the general players.

But, I have an idea. What if you made it a 64 person tournament? Half would be comprised of DSL'ers and the other half open to anyone else. A 64 person tourney sounds like a lot of work, but is actually quite manageable. The brackets are set up exactly like the NCAA march Madness tourney.

Let me know what you think.
Lieutenant Steelhorse

Postby barterer2002 on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 am

If you need a place to do brackets, I usually use www.bracketmaker.com

Here's a sample bracket I'm currently using for a double elimination tourney
http://www.bracketmaker.com/tmenu.cfm?e ... (1900-1930)
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Rumondo on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't be oppposed to doing a "DSL vs. the CC World" tourney.

Instead of one massive 64 team bracket where you could easily get culled out by bad drops or bad rolls early on, I'd prefer to do pool play that fills 2 8 man brackets from either side.

The 2 8 man brackets would be double elimination or best 2 of 3 series, and then the final would be best of 3 of 5.

Would anyone like to volunteer to help me run the CC side of this?

Although, I still state that overall I think it is a bad move for CC to ban private tournaments. I can understand limiting them but banning them all together will ultimately hurt CC.

Here is a link to last year's tournament. The bracket got a little whacky because I had some late adds.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pY67mHTWN_oTM6nry4tyjHQ&inv=kubilak@gmail.com&t=7885761212401447979&guest

Postby Sarit on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:18 pm

Hey Rum,
Tiras from dsl. I'd be interested in playing this year(although I wasn't around for last year's tourny)
Corporal 1st Class Sarit

Postby Night Strike on Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:48 pm

This tournament has not been modified to fit within public guidelines and will be canceled.
Major Night Strike

Return to Abandoned