Conquer Club

An Ancient Greek Revamp

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: An Ancient Greek Revamp

Postby oaktown on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Mr. K wrote:If you'd looked at the most recent version of the map, you'd see that all those things have already been taken care of.

Ah, missed the version with army shadows... but the phrygia circle still looks a bit close to the edge.

And I forgot to mention - it looks really good. :D
Captain oaktown

Postby Incandenza on Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:46 pm

This looks a damn sight better than the current map.

Keep up the good work, K!
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby MrBenn on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:41 am

Mr. K wrote:I'm not totally sold on the font at this point, I actually preferred the other one I tried out but it didn't seem to popular. Both the ones you suggested would look awful in my opinion. The one doesn't look Greek at all, and the other uses actual Greek characters which wont work.

Whoops :oops:
How about this font: http://www.dafont.com/ancient-geek.font? It uses Greek characters that look like the standard alphabet... although I think it looks a little too clean :?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Mr. K on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:03 pm

No way. Nothing I hate more then when people use greek characters incorrectly to write in english (like when Sigma is used as an E).

As for the Phyrigia circle, I'm not going to change the XML at all so i'm not going to move it. Sorry :\
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby pepperonibread on Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:19 pm

Mr. K wrote:No way. Nothing I hate more then when people use greek characters incorrectly to write in english (like when Sigma is used as an E).

As for the Phyrigia circle, I'm not going to change the XML at all so i'm not going to move it. Sorry :\

Not change the XML? :?
It would honestly take about a minute to edit the coordinates if you needed to. Heck, I'd do it for you if you like...
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby MrBenn on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Mr. K wrote:As for the Phyrigia circle, I'm not going to change the XML at all so i'm not going to move it. Sorry :\

Good luck getting through the forge then :?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm

Mate your missing alot of basic information in the title and the first page.

Could you have a quick read of the map making handbook and add the stuff you got missing please?

Map Makers Handbook

Cheers :D
Gim
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Mr. K on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:24 pm

Why does the XML need to be changed? It works fine exactly how it is, why the hell would I change it? After all, half the people in this thread have said "why does this need a revamp??" Like i said from the start, i'm changing the graphics and nothing else.

Title Requirements
1. The page with the latest development of production. (I.E. ā€˜Update ā€“ Pg 3')
2. No use of [brackets]: use (parentheses), --dashes--, or ā€œquotesā€ instead.
3. For every stamp you recieve the appropriate tag should be included in the title. [I, Gp, Gr, X]

I = Idea
Gp = Gameplay
Gr = Graphics
X = XML

Information Requirements on the first post of a maps thread
1. The number of territories currently on the map.
2. The number of continents. (If this makes sense for your map)
3. Descriptions of any unique features or areas.

Are you kidding? Why would I need these things? They already exist. This map has been on for 2 years, the idea, gameplay, graphics and XML are well established. The number of continents, territories, and features are all exactly the same. I'm not going to waste time with this formality when its beyond unnecessary.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby edbeard on Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:28 pm

I believe the reason people are asking about the Phyrigia circle is that when a player has 4 digit armies on that territory, the right most digit is not visible because it goes off the side of the map.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Mr. K on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:26 pm

4 digit armies? Holy hell, How often does that happen? If you have four digit armies, does it really matter what the last one is anyway? Nope.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:29 pm

Mr. K wrote:4 digit armies? Holy hell, How often does that happen? If you have four digit armies, does it really matter what the last one is anyway? Nope.

4 digits is very common. Its very easy for anygame to have over 100 armies on a territory and with the colourblind codes that has the potential to add another digit for those who use them.

As for the title and page info its routine. Althought gameplay and XML isnt changing I would still like the information to be presented. Not to much for little gim to ask for is it. :mrgreen:
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Gilligan on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:54 pm

Gotta change 'Kyklades' to 'Kyklades Islands' though.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Mr. K on Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Already mentioned that I changed the Kyklades to Kyklades Islands, just never posted it. Heres the most recent update, I forget whats been changed other then the word "Islands."

On the strange occasion where a person is playing colorblind, and has a 3 digit army on Phrygia (a land-locked country with no borders, which has no business holding a 3-digit army!), the last digit is still pretty meaningless. The difference between 450 and 459 is almost meaningless in a game of rolling dice.

As for the title and page info its routine.

And in this situation, absolutely meaningless and a waste of time. If you have any questions about this map that weren't answered by 2 years of solid game play, go right ahead.

Like i've said, i'm just here to update the graphics on something I did a long time ago, i'm not here to start a brand new project. I'm not making a brand new map, just a prettier picture to look at when you're playing an already existing map. Take it or leave it I suppose.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby yeti_c on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:00 am

Mr. K wrote:Already mentioned that I changed the Kyklades to Kyklades Islands, just never posted it. Heres the most recent update, I forget whats been changed other then the word "Islands."

I think he meant - in the XML?!

C.

PS - thus also assuming that you're keeping the image the same dimensions too?
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:29 am

Is there a reason that the territory names all use different sizes?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:02 pm

I'll stop by this topic a little later, Mr. K. Nice to see you back in the Foundry...I remember working on the original map. :)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:27 pm

MrBenn wrote:Is there a reason that the territory names all use different sizes?

I was going to say that too. Make them all the size of the smallest one and you won't have a problem. The size difference is rather annoying.

Also, to my colorblind eyes, the colors of Sterea Ellada and Boreia Ellada are too similar. If you don't want to change the color, could you maybe flip the color of one of them with something very different, like Peloponesos?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Gilligan on Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:30 pm

yeti_c wrote:
Mr. K wrote:Already mentioned that I changed the Kyklades to Kyklades Islands, just never posted it. Heres the most recent update, I forget whats been changed other then the word "Islands."

I think he meant - in the XML?!

C.

PS - thus also assuming that you're keeping the image the same dimensions too?

Yes, that is what I meant because I saw Islands on the map :)
Captain Gilligan

Postby Mr. K on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:54 pm

I wasn't going to change the XML for Kyklades Islands. Is it really needed? When you want to attack Kyklades islands, you pull the drop-down menu, and Kyklades comes up. Is there really any confusion that may stem from that?

If you guys really want though, as a fellow lover of consistency, I will make that fix.

As for the font sizes, you'll notice the old one did the same. I had bigger fonts in the places where I had more room. But if you guys don't like it on this one i'll fix that.

I am going to use the same image sizes, yes. I noticed you guys now let them be bigger, but i'm not going to go through and redo the xml for the sake of another 100 pixels.

Nice to see you're still working hard here in the Foundry, Andy. :)
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby edbeard on Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:59 pm

I agree with Mr. K on the XML thing. Not making any changes to it should be the first choice if there's nothing big to do.

Have we ever had anyone complain about the Phyrgia territory placement?

I think it saves lack from having to redo all the old games on the map with the new XML so that's another plus.

The only thing I don't like on this map, as I've said before, is the colour of the mountains. It doesn't makes sense to me to be green like that. It looks weird to me. A dark brown or grey seems like it'd be better.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Mr. K on Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:51 pm

I modeled them after the actual mountains that are there :)

Dirt mountains covered with bushes and trees, with some of that dirt shining through. Of course I wasn't able to recreate their beauty

Last edited by Mr. K on Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Georgerx7di on Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:57 pm

lol nice
Major Georgerx7di

Postby Androidz on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:42 am

hmm could you try on Kyklades isalnd to make the attacklines go trough every single island there? instead of just the end. And all should meet on the army circle or the center island? Cause if you capture 1 island you capture the land. Makeing the attacklines go trough all you get a more feel that you conquered it all.
Private Androidz

Postby Mr. K on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:42 pm

So whats next, fellas?
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:44 pm

I think this could be in Final Forge already...

But, in the meantime, the numbers in the legend could use color-coding.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas