Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Information on tactics, scenarios, and all that you'll need to be successful in-game!

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby Noslen on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:37 am

Okay so here's the real question:

When I am down facing overwhelming odds I like to take my biggest stack and just blow through the opponent in the hope that I might actually get lucky. This can sometimes take away valuable bonuses and punch holes in the opponent's defence that others might be able to use.

So is this a good idea or bad idea?
Cook Noslen
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:28 am
Location: England
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby FabledIntegral on Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:40 am

Suiciding? Will throw you on ignore - you're already weak, if you're out of the game, don't friggin' trash it for others. That's just stupid.

I for one would put you on foe the second you did that to anyone in a game. I know you're asking for help so I shouldn't be so harsh, but you might want to realize it most likely contributes to the reason you're a cook.
Major FabledIntegral
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Highest Rank: 7 Highest Score: 3810
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby BlacKnighT on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:26 am

Well if you are in the position where you're likely to be taken out by stronger players, that is your last hope to get lucky and stay in the game. I think it's a legitimate move but it can be frustrating for players that feel that they had already won and that's just a cheap tactic. As, for instance, Fabled here. It's how people play the game, and sometimes it benefits them or else people wouldn't do it. In the end it is just everyone trying to win however they can and people either like it or not.
User avatar
Sergeant BlacKnighT
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:54 pm
Location: NJ, US
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby Timminz on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:30 am

In a situation where you are exceptionally weak, and one other player is exceptionally strong, you should attack them, but not down until you've got nothing left. If the other people in the game know what they're doing, they'll hit the strong player too, and possibly bring the field back to level. It won't work every time, but it's a hell of a lot better than the "kamikaze" attack.
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
User avatar
Captain Timminz
 
Posts: 5500
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: At the store
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:37 am

There is a difference, at least in my mind, between attacking the stronger player simply to break bonuses with no hope that you'll survive another round or two and taking a shot at the game. In a situation where I've got the same number of armies that I'm going to need to take out to eliminate a player I'll make the play realizing that its a long shot. There are times it works and times when it doesn't but I'll always take the chance on the win in that situation, in the situation you're talking about, however, it sounds like you can't take out one of the players and are just hitting hard at the leader. In general I'd break a bonus if I could but I'm not going to go out and weaken him enough to give another player the game.
Image
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant barterer2002
 
Posts: 5971
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:51 am
Medals: 104
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (19) General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (7) Tournament Contribution (33) General Contribution (2)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby Noslen on Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:37 am

FabledIntegral wrote:I for one would put you on foe the second you did that to anyone in a game. I know you're asking for help so I shouldn't be so harsh, but you might want to realize it most likely contributes to the reason you're a cook.


Or of course it could just be that people are better than me.


But serious as a last resort tactic, let's say that on the Montreal map...you hold only the small little island and you face someone who holds the rest of the map, or at least a significant portion and you have nowhere else to go. Taking what you have and just attacking in an attempt to save yourself? I've only ever done this twice on CC but did wonder what others think about it. I must say I never thought of it as a 'cheap' tactic...just a last resort.
Cook Noslen
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:28 am
Location: England
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby danodukebb on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:11 pm

FabledIntegral wrote:Suiciding? Will throw you on ignore - you're already weak, if you're out of the game, don't friggin' trash it for others. That's just stupid.

I for one would put you on foe the second you did that to anyone in a game. I know you're asking for help so I shouldn't be so harsh, but you might want to realize it most likely contributes to the reason you're a cook.


he'll put ANYONE on foe for anything, he put me on foe because I beat him, and he couldn't take it....
Check out my band: Blink of an Eye and if you have a myspace still please add us!!! http://www.myspace.com/blinkofaneyemusic
User avatar
Corporal danodukebb
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:57 pm
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby FabledIntegral on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:25 pm

danodukebb wrote:
FabledIntegral wrote:Suiciding? Will throw you on ignore - you're already weak, if you're out of the game, don't friggin' trash it for others. That's just stupid.

I for one would put you on foe the second you did that to anyone in a game. I know you're asking for help so I shouldn't be so harsh, but you might want to realize it most likely contributes to the reason you're a cook.


he'll put ANYONE on foe for anything, he put me on foe because I beat him, and he couldn't take it....


You <NS EDIT> - way not to only take this offtopic but spew your lies as well. Show me the fucking game you beat me in you <NS EDIT>. If I recall, I put you on ignore for your <NS EDIT> in the forums, but even then, I find myself clicking the "show post" to see if you've gotten even slightly more intelligent. Apparently not.

Most recent game I've played with you before I put you on foe?

http://www.conquerclub.com/game.php?game=2837021

And you haven't won a single goddamn game we've been in together... <NS EDIT>.
Major FabledIntegral
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Highest Rank: 7 Highest Score: 3810
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby MeDeFe on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:40 pm

Noslen wrote:
FabledIntegral wrote:I for one would put you on foe the second you did that to anyone in a game. I know you're asking for help so I shouldn't be so harsh, but you might want to realize it most likely contributes to the reason you're a cook.

Or of course it could just be that people are better than me.


But serious as a last resort tactic, let's say that on the Montreal map...you hold only the small little island and you face someone who holds the rest of the map, or at least a significant portion and you have nowhere else to go. Taking what you have and just attacking in an attempt to save yourself? I've only ever done this twice on CC but did wonder what others think about it. I must say I never thought of it as a 'cheap' tactic...just a last resort.

Exactly what situation are you talking about here? If there's you and only one other player left you attack, no question, if there's more than one player besides yourself left you make damn sure you stay in the game. There's a world of a difference between two players left and three players left. If you're the weakest player in a situation with three or more players left and start suiciding you would probably end up on my foe list as well.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
User avatar
Major MeDeFe
 
Posts: 8098
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 am
Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby Noslen on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:47 pm

If there's just one other person left....I mean it may be possible there's still some neutrals around hence 'all or most of the map'
Cook Noslen
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:28 am
Location: England
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby XML7p on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:07 pm

This does say Kamikaze....is it really a good final move? for a reason, and yes it is a good final move in my opinion but it is not likely to win the game.
Cadet XML7p
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby FabledIntegral on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:21 pm

XML7p wrote:This does say Kamikaze....is it really a good final move? for a reason, and yes it is a good final move in my opinion but it is not likely to win the game.


Then no, it's not a good move... ffs how can you say it's a good final move if it's not likely to win the game. Play your odds, it's that simple.
Major FabledIntegral
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Highest Rank: 7 Highest Score: 3810
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby XML7p on Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:41 am

I meant by, its a good last resort that has 35% chance of getting you back on your feet.
So its good late game when your dieing because it is a last resort.
Cadet XML7p
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby FabledIntegral on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:31 pm

XML7p wrote:I meant by, its a good last resort that has 35% chance of getting you back on your feet.
So its good late game when your dieing because it is a last resort.


Incorrect. First of all, in his situation where someone else has most of the map, it is not a good "last resort" strategy. Secondly, if he was getting to that situation, you should have acted sooner. If you didn't act sooner, it's your own fault for sucking, and should not suicide at the end. Most likely other players will not take the opportunity to kill the stronger player but capitalize on your weakness.
Major FabledIntegral
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 pm
Location: Highest Rank: 7 Highest Score: 3810
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Kamikaze....is it really a good final move?

Postby gdeangel on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 pm

In mulitplayer, it's pretty much always got to have a balance. If you are the weakest player, and the other players are ganging on you then yes, it is probably best to suicide on someone, but of course you've got to announce it to give them an incentive to stop ganging on you.

If it's 1v1, and your really looking at a long shot, the odds on attack vs. defense are just slightly more favorable for attack BUT I have seen very seriously crap waves of attack dice, so you want to sort-of attack just enough to bait the other player to attack you, but hope the other guy catches the string of twelve consecutive 0-2 rolls thats out there in the dice file somewhere.
User avatar
Sergeant gdeangel
 
Posts: 779
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:48 pm
Location: In the Basement
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Next

Return to Strategy

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Login