Wales [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Wales [Adv] Updated - v4 p1/3

Postby gimil on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:21 am

MrBenn wrote:If you show me how to fit that inside a territory (along with the English translation) the size of the village, I'll put it on ;-)

Not my job [-( 8-[
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (5)

Postby MrBenn on Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:37 am

Fine.

If you're going to sulk, then I shall just ignore you Image

Anyway, it's an almost-made-up-name, and isn't a county, so nah Image
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 am

its obviously an island, and i knew that, but usually there are attack lines from islands to land mass right?
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby RjBeals on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:02 pm

Benn - this map seems to be way to big for the regions you are representing. I'm all for big maps, but only if they need to be. We all hate scrolling if you don't have to. You could probably fit this map

Here's what I did - reduced the size.
Your Big Map
My Big Map
My Small Map
Private RjBeals

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:12 pm

I hadn't thought about the image size too much - I've just made sure it's within the size limits...

What actual image sizes did you use in your examples? I've just been playing around and think that 650X700 works for the large image, and something like 510x550 would be OK for the small...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)
General Achievement (6) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (7) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (15)

Postby RjBeals on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:40 pm

Sorry Benn - I didn't save my file, and i cropped the image so i don't know what the entire map size was. I just know i was able to reduce it and still keep it good looking.
Private RjBeals

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
General Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Postby MrBenn on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:41 pm

No problems ;-)
The smaller ones I've got here look fine, although I'll keep working on the bigger image ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:57 pm

I agree with RJ, the image is too big, especially when it doesn't need to be.
Even though it is the large map, I think shrinking it a bit would be better. you don't need that much space for such a simple map.

Other than that, I don't see any other possible problems right now. It's looking good.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:25 am

Yeah, what's the hold up? MrBenn pretty much had this done by the time he shared it with us. We should be playing this one by now....
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:24 pm

Here you go, good luck with the map.

Now one of the CAs needs to move this thread to the main foundry.

I'm still a fan of shrinking the large version a bit, but its not a big deal. Good luck.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (2)

Postby MrBenn on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:05 am

Thanks for the stamp wca ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby Androidz on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:02 am

gimil wrote:
MrBenn wrote:If you show me how to fit that inside a territory (along with the English translation) the size of the village, I'll put it on ;-)

Not my job [-( 8-[

"Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch"

THe people of the town call it just Llanfair. Check wikipedia.
Private Androidz

Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Wales [I] v6 p1/4 ***UPDATED 30/08/08***

Postby MrBenn on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:25 pm

UPDATE!
Version 6
Large and Small Images
    I've done a little tweaking, and put together a slightly smaller large image, and a smaller small image...
    The sea now has a slight edge to it - there was a suggestion to have a blue tinge, but it didn't look right. I've opted for a slightly murky sea, which seems to fit the style of the map!
    I've added the Shire suffix to some of the English territory names where they'll fit, which will hopefully make it slightly more obvious what the poem means when it talks about shires :?:
    There are now working small/large images - Gameplay discussion is desperately needed ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn
Retired Team Member

Postby ZeakCytho on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:29 pm

Someone forgot their bigimg tags [-X

Any chance of flipping the colors of the Midlands and the North? Or just changing the Midlands? The color of that is too similar to the South-West for my color-blind eyes to tell apart. The fact that the whole continent has an inner glow with the color makes me able to distinguish them, but I think it would be better if you shuffled the colors.
Captain ZeakCytho

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Map Contribution (2) General Contribution (1)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:09 pm

What about the bonuses? Some should be WAAAY higher, no? Because they have two territs within themselves, and each territory that they touch has two...

Maybe thats just me?
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas