Conquer Club

Feudal Epic, L&S, Pg. 49 [D, Gp, Gr]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Feudal-ate *The sequal to Feudal War!*

Postby edbeard on Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:41 pm

legend at the bottom is no big deal here because the legend isn't that big. the gain is very minimal.

in ODW it made sense because the legend is significantly larger when compared to the playable area of the map.

I'd like to see discussion on something gameplay-wise.

With the two west, the two central, and two north castles, you can hold the entire areas with two territories. With the southeastern castles, this is not possible. Not even close actually. In the north, the two territories you have to hold are right next to each other. It's also interesting to note that Imperial Dynasty only has to take over one more territory to get to the Ga'h village than to get to the Hor village (hehe). Obviously neutral territories will make some of these things naught but they're still things to think about because I think we'd all prefer not to have to put 20 neutrals in a few spots.

1. I'm not sure how big a deal these things are gameplay-wise

2. I'm not sure these are possible to be 'fixed' unless the map is re-drawn which I'm not looking to suggest.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby t-o-m on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:13 pm

.....................[adv. idea]
    8-[ [/list]
Major t-o-m

Postby daydream on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:34 pm

gimil wrote:
bryguy wrote:Looks good :)

1) I dont really like how there is so much water :(
2) the villages look different somehow than the ones in the original feudal.
3) I dont like the cliffs that much right now.... they just dont seem as good as the ones in the original
4) Maybe instead of being able to bombard non-adjacent territories in their kingdom, maybe have 1 catapult territory in each kingdom that can bombard some areas in the valley below the cliff right on the edge of their kingdom?
4) Cen rocks!

1) Their is hardly any water?
2) Becasue its a new map...
3) There are by far an improvement, these ones look ALOT more like cliffs than any previous attempt. :)
4) You wouldnt have your catapult outside the castle, thats just silly!

for that reason i still suggest you change castle names. actually keeping one as feudal empire and changing the rest would give it that sequal feel you are looking for?
i love the graphics, and i think the gameplay "rules" shouldnt be changed (ie 2 neutrals on kingdom terrs, 10 neutral on kingdom entrance terrs, castle bombards non-adjacent kingdom terrs, +1 for every two same-kingdom terrs etc.) the only thing i am still unsure about is the one entrance thing, which i can really only judge after having played a few games on it...
but in general i say leave it as it is. correct the two instances where two territories border two territories with the same numbers (haha, i checked for that but didnt see it on the first look :P) and then its already good to go.

i have also noticed (just as a btw thing) that this version of feudal is not as good for 1on1 players as the old one, because you will still only receive two castles. (3 players start, including the neutral, 8 castles, makes 2 per player and 2 extra, making a total 4 neutral and 2 for each player) at least it wont support my way of playing as much anymore :P
Lieutenant daydream

Postby edbeard on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:48 pm

t-o-m wrote:.....................[adv. idea]
    8-[ [/list]

I certainly hope not. has there even been an update? I know that that's not an official criteria for being stickied but it's being used as a criteria unofficially so to use it in some cases and not others is arbitrary and could be interpreted as favouritism. I know that sometimes this affects an experienced mapmaker negatively because there's a higher chance of their maps being less in need of updates. Again, I'm sorry for putting this here but I think your thread can take a few slightly off topic posts, gimil.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby t-o-m on Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:04 pm

I know there hasnt been an update, ive been watching.
But i think we all see this going places, and i and i think i speak for others, am waiting for this map with excitment.
Major t-o-m

Postby gimil on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:32 am

edbeard wrote:
t-o-m wrote:.....................[adv. idea]
    8-[ [/list]

I certainly hope not. has there even been an update? I know that that's not an official criteria for being stickied but it's being used as a criteria unofficially so to use it in some cases and not others is arbitrary and could be interpreted as favouritism. I know that sometimes this affects an experienced mapmaker negatively because there's a higher chance of their maps being less in need of updates. Again, I'm sorry for putting this here but I think your thread can take a few slightly off topic posts, gimil.

Actually edbeard, updates have been a criteria since the coleman days back when we stamped the map :D
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:03 am

I'm talking adv idea where Oaktown's rules say nothing about updates but to my knowledge all maps have needed a few updates to get their adv idea sticky

here are the official rules

Your topic and 'stickied' and your map considered an Advanced Draft if it is deemed by the community and the Drafts CA to meet the following criteria:

* The map must be inherently unique either in gameplay, location, or theme.
* Gameplay features must be compatible with the game engines currently usable XML.
* Content must be the original work of the cartographer unless consent to use copyrighted works is gained.
* Sound advice must be followed unless a logical rebuttal by the cartographer or another member of the community is provided.
* The community must show a reasonable amount of interest towards a map.
* The type of image file must be PNG, GIF, or JPEG, and created using some type of graphics software (no hand-drawn scans!); the image hosted using Photobucket.com, imageshack.us, or something similar; and the image posted using [bigimg] tags instead of the standard [img] tags .
* The cartographer must agree to the Conquer Club copyright agreement.
* A map must work within the CC map size restrictions.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby benny profane on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:25 am

edbeard wrote:With the two west, the two central, and two north castles, you can hold the entire areas with two territories. With the southeastern castles, this is not possible. Not even close actually. In the north, the two territories you have to hold are right next to each other. It's also interesting to note that Imperial Dynasty only has to take over one more territory to get to the Ga'h village than to get to the Hor village (hehe). Obviously neutral territories will make some of these things naught but they're still things to think about because I think we'd all prefer not to have to put 20 neutrals in a few spots.

What edbeard pointed out seems rather important to me.
It may not turn out to be a problem in 8 player games...
But there is definitely potential for unbalanced gameplay with fewer players.
I know some people prefer unbalanced maps, but...
Anyone else feel like weighing in on this issue?
Lieutenant benny profane

Postby gimil on Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:32 am

benny profane wrote:
edbeard wrote:With the two west, the two central, and two north castles, you can hold the entire areas with two territories. With the southeastern castles, this is not possible. Not even close actually. In the north, the two territories you have to hold are right next to each other. It's also interesting to note that Imperial Dynasty only has to take over one more territory to get to the Ga'h village than to get to the Hor village (hehe). Obviously neutral territories will make some of these things naught but they're still things to think about because I think we'd all prefer not to have to put 20 neutrals in a few spots.

What edbeard pointed out seems rather important to me.
It may not turn out to be a problem in 8 player games...
But there is definitely potential for unbalanced gameplay with fewer players.
I know some people prefer unbalanced maps, but...
Anyone else feel like weighing in on this issue?

Ed those two castles can held held with just three territories, I know it is more but those two castles also have the most expansion options to them. I think that makes it a little fairer. Dont ya think?

Also on the point of the villages, but the time you have enought strengh to go for your second village you should be building enought troops so that the 1 neutral you need to go through shouldn't really make any significant difference. If you do go for it to early you risk leaving yourself spread with a close enemy.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:25 pm

I've just had some random thoughts about alternative names for this map: FUEDEUX or FEUDUAL or FUEDUO...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Herakilla on Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:37 am

beautiful!!! change the damned name though! it sucks!!
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby yeti_c on Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:41 pm

MrBenn wrote:I've just had some random thoughts about alternative names for this map: FUEDEUX or FEUDUAL or FUEDUO...

But they're all about 2's -> the current name is more about 8's...?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Androidz on Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:07 pm

yeti_c wrote:
MrBenn wrote:I've just had some random thoughts about alternative names for this map: FUEDEUX or FEUDUAL or FUEDUO...

But they're all about 2's -> the current name is more about 8's...?!

C.

But this is sequel not a 8dual.;)

When you named Feudal wars you didint mention 6;)
Private Androidz

Postby edbeard on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:00 pm

I just feel like if you're going to do the 8 thing, you could do a lot better than "Feudal-ate"

Feudal Days A Week

Feudal is Enough

After Feudal

I think all these are awful but maybe it can just be Feudal For Eight or Feudal War II though it's not really a sequel just an expansion or something. Maybe Feudal War Expanded
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:34 pm

edbeard wrote:I just feel like if you're going to do the 8 thing, you could do a lot better than "Feudal-ate"

Feudal Days A Week

Feudal is Enough

After Feudal

I think all these are awful but maybe it can just be Feudal For Eight or Feudal War II though it's not really a sequel just an expansion or something. Maybe Feudal War Expanded

I also prefered Feudal II myself.

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Update time kids:

Update 1

-Added neutral values
-Fixed "ever" in legends
-Tweeked a few numbers to stop wrong deploys
-Changed "hor" territoy to "Xeu"
-Other small suggestions made

Discuss:
-Neutral Values
-One castle enterances
-Map name

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Feudal-ate *The sequal to Feudal War!* Update Page 5

Postby Androidz on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:51 pm

Xeu? You mean Zeu?

Why renamed Hor anyway i liked it?

Or you mean you renamed the willage only? IN that case you need to rename all the willages from something diffrent to the continent names:S
Private Androidz

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Androidz wrote:Xeu? You mean Zeu?

Or you mean you renamed the willage only? IN that case you need to rename all the willages from something diffrent to the continent names:S

What?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby edbeard on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:58 pm

To Androidz:

If you say Hor Village out loud it might sound as if you're talking about something else. He changed both the village and the region though he spelled them differently...Zeu vs Xeu
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Androidz on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:59 pm

gimil wrote:

What?

Continent Name is named Zeu. But the village is named Xeu? Why 2 diffrent?

And now i see why he renamed from hor thx ed:D

But shouldent they have the same name like in the other continents? All Villages use the contint name.
Private Androidz

Postby gimil on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Androidz wrote:
gimil wrote:

What?

But shouldent they have the same name like in the other continents? All Villages use the contint name.

Sheesh guys it was a typo, you make it sound deliberate >.<

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Androidz on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:02 pm

gimil wrote:
Androidz wrote:
gimil wrote:

What?

Sheesh guys it was a typo, you make it sound deliberate >.<

Hehe sorry i wasent sure if it was typho or if you wanted this:P
Private Androidz

Postby yeti_c on Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:22 am

gimil wrote:
edbeard wrote:I just feel like if you're going to do the 8 thing, you could do a lot better than "Feudal-ate"

Feudal Days A Week

Feudal is Enough

After Feudal

Just sounds so modern?!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:11 am

yeti_c wrote:
gimil wrote:

Feudal Days A Week

Feudal is Enough

After Feudal

Just sounds so modern?!

C.

Keep fighting the good fight yeti, maybe someone will agree with you ;)

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby gdeangel on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:28 pm

gimil wrote:
hulmey wrote:It looks so much like the original..Cant you add some new features to make it slightly different, like the AoR series for example...

The point of this was to give an 8 player option to the Feudal gameplay, while Realm was intended to be a series of maps that differ in gameplay from each other. my plan is to not add any new gimmicks to this map :)

You don't have to add new gimmicks, but it would be nice to make it a little visually distinct. Rather than rolling green fields, like feudal, you could have some brownish trails/barren areas and/or dark green trees to just set it apart visually from the six player version... put a little chop on the water, and/or put some black mucky marshes around the edges. It will be extra work but probably worth it. If you're setting it up to be "some other time, in the area near Feudal" then the landscape should change as well as the number of castles. So specifically for an example, the whole area that is where Lake Minostro used to be could be a big mucky marsh, not a green pasture.

Also, what about my suggestion for 1-way attacks through the wall into the castles. I understand you don't want "gimicks" but the single file pass into and out of each kingdom means build, build, build... unless, at least you give maybe bigger bonuses for holding the open terrain instead of the kingdom areas behind the walls.
Sergeant gdeangel

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas