Conquer Club

CC sanctioned tourny [Complete]

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

CC sanctioned tourny [Complete]

Postby what,me worry? on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:57 pm

Concise description:
  • Have CC make an official tourny for a medal that is given out each year to the winner of the tourny. take the top 250 scores who would be willing to play in a tourny for it.

Specifics:

• once a year you use a bracket system tourny and for the first round do 3 1v1 games on classic, and increase games at the last few rounds all the way until there is one winner.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:

• It will give CC something to look forward to every year. imagine the bragging rights.It would create the undisputed champ and CC would salivate /dream/"train" for the crown.
Private 1st Class what,me worry?

Re: CC sanctioned tournys

Postby blakebowling on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Doesn't have to be CC sanctioned, I'm pretty sure the medal's not happening either.
Private blakebowling

Postby Optimus Prime on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:09 pm

Not anytime soon at least.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby GrimReaper. on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:55 pm

mabey in the future but not anytime soon i would imagine
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby sully800 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:51 pm

Yes please to CC sanctioned tournaments with medals as awards. Then you would actually be awarding medals for accomplishments and not just playing a bunch of games.
Major sully800

Postby max is gr8 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:39 am

I like the idea, A tournament winner award and a Tournament Organizer award
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby blakebowling on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:28 pm

FYI: I like the idea too, but with my experience in Tournaments, I could tell you that it isn't happening.
Private blakebowling

Postby what,me worry? on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:23 pm

All im saying is that CC sanction one tourny for the whole year, get the top tourny guys to run 1 side of the bracket each. The top 250 players who want to play in it ( if someone passes then the spot is offered to the 251st player and so on) play best of 3 on classic. then around the 3rd round of games it goes to best of 5. when it gets down to the last few rounds make it go to best of 7. then the winner of each bracket play best of 9 or something.

winner gets the one and only CC tourny champ medal, to be handed out the next year when the tourny is ready to start again.

Think of all the buzz it will cause plus there will be no bitching( at least a lot less than normal) about the tourny not being fair.

Doesnt sound too hard to do. plus the deadbeat rate or having people join games will be non existent because the top 250 are dedicated to their games or at least its assumed.

Postby barterer2002 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:04 pm

Well part of the largest issue here is that different players have different styles and 1v1 is usually not the way that the top players go about it. Most of the top players use a variety of 8 player escalating rather than 1v1.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Gilligan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:15 pm

blakebowling wrote:FYI: I like the idea too, but with my experience in Tournaments, I could tell you that it isn't happening.

Care to explain why?
Captain Gilligan

Postby blakebowling on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:23 pm

Gilligan wrote:
blakebowling wrote:FYI: I like the idea too, but with my experience in Tournaments, I could tell you that it isn't happening.

Care to explain why?

They always say that, "Tournaments were designed to be ran by the individual user" and "Tournaments won't have special rewards" and stuff like that (Gosh, you're one of the people I consider WAYYYYY!!!!! more experienced than me :shock:)
Private blakebowling

Postby Gilligan on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:28 pm

blakebowling wrote:
Gilligan wrote:

Care to explain why?

They always say that, "Tournaments were designed to be ran by the individual user" and "Tournaments won't have special rewards" and stuff like that (Gosh, you're one of the people I consider WAYYYYY!!!!! more experienced than me :shock:)

Thanks for the compliment :)

My two cents: I think that medals for winning tournaments would be a great addition. It would give people the incentive to play in tournaments. With people always wanting to play tournaments, and how active the forum would be, the tournament forum will go nowhere but up. It could take us to a level not reached before.

But, on the flipside, it would probably mean more work for Directors, and more 'spammish' tournaments getting started for the medal, but that's happening already because you get a medal for organizing.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Natewolfman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 pm

why limit to 250?

why not make open sign ups 'anyone welcome with over X games played (to be sure they will stick with it) leave sign ups for 1 weeks time, announcment in GD, then start when the time is up no matter the number of players... with this system you would have uneven brackets granted, in which case you will give 'good seeding' to the players with higher points...anyways, it would be cool to have medals that need actual accomplishment lol
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby Night Strike on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:47 pm

Just so you all know, there's already one (the first) CC sanctioned tournament already underway. I HIGHLY doubt there will ever be 2 run at once (muchless 1 being run at most times).
Major Night Strike

Postby blakebowling on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:11 am

Night Strike wrote:Just so you all know, there's already one (the first) CC sanctioned tournament already underway. I HIGHLY doubt there will ever be 2 run at once (muchless 1 being run at most times).

Right, but it's a clan tournament
Private blakebowling

Postby what,me worry? on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:54 pm

1. Its one whole tourny but it will be split up into two brackets which will have one person in charge of each bracket. the winner of the backets will meet for the tourny medal and bragging rights

2. 250 limit will insure that it will be somewhat more speedy and the top 250 will be alot less likely to deadbeat, not join games, not take turns, etc.

3. It shouldnt be open to everyone on CC because it will give all players something to look to. Something to strive for. Think of it like playoffs. only the best get a chance at the crown
(which btw, im out of the top 250 by alot so i wouldnt even be able to compete)

4.so far as style of play, i can promise you (we can take a poll to prove this) that most top 250 players like no cards, chain/adj and it will be sunny on the classic map. Not sure how much more fair a setting could get. And if all else fails, we go to the original game by hasbro rules, the same rules everyone played before even playing online (for the most part). plus 8 player games take a long time to finish, 1 v 1 will go faster, and the only person who can screw u up is yourself, no blaming others for playing like noobs.

I promise that this tourny will become the biggest thing on CC.

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:50 pm

They shouldn't just be for the top 250
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby what,me worry? on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:10 pm

max is gr8 wrote:They shouldn't just be for the top 250

If you can give me a reason i'd like to hear it. I would love to be in this thing as well but honestly if we let everyone join it would extremely time consuming and it wouldnt run smooth. I mean at the most i guess we could extend it to the top 400 or something but no matter what, everyone who wants to be in it couldnt and no matter what people arnt going to be happy but this is the most efficient way to do this. and like i said, it gives incentive for striving for a higher score to be in this thing.

Postby barterer2002 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:25 pm

what,me worry? wrote:
4.so far as style of play, i can promise you (we can take a poll to prove this) that most top 250 players like no cards, chain/adj and it will be sunny on the classic map. Not sure how much more fair a setting could get. And if all else fails, we go to the original game by hasbro rules, the same rules everyone played before even playing online (for the most part). plus 8 player games take a long time to finish, 1 v 1 will go faster, and the only person who can screw u up is yourself, no blaming others for playing like noobs.

Of course most good players prefer no cards and chained/adjacent. It takes a bit of the randomness out of the game and makes it more reliant on skill instead of luck. For this reason many players dislike 1v1 because of the vagarities of the drop or who goes first.
At the very least such a tournament would have to be a series of 3,5 or 7 games

I do like the idea in general though (but you need to use 256 players instead of 250 so the brackets work out right)
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby what,me worry? on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 pm

barterer2002 wrote:
what,me worry? wrote:

Of course most good players prefer no cards and chained/adjacent. It takes a bit of the randomness out of the game and makes it more reliant on skill instead of luck. For this reason many players dislike 1v1 because of the vagarities of the drop or who goes first.
At the very least such a tournament would have to be a series of 3,5 or 7 games

I do like the idea in general though (but you need to use 256 players instead of 250 so the brackets work out right)

I understand that 1 v 1 offers an unfair drop but thats the only fair way to do it and having multiple games would help the better player win the series. We could do 5 games to start with but its an extra headache. No matter what sytem we come up with its not going to be 100% fair and people are going to complain but at least we can appease the majority.

In the end, if people have real issues with whatever is decided, they always have the choice to opt out and give there spot to the next person on the list

Postby sully800 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Trying to decide the settings for the tournament now doesn't make sense. Campaign for the tournament now, and if CC decided to adopt it then we can debate what settings will work best. It's good that you have some initial settings and limits so everyone can see how it MIGHT function, but the settings aren't the important part. The concept is what matters.

To expand on the concept, I think there should be multiple CC tournaments, similar to how the World Series of Poker functions. All the current generic tournaments are your home games, your world poker tour, your buy-in games etc. The world series however would be CC sanctioned, organized by mods/tournament directors, and have different games for different settings. ie, an escalating tournament, a flat rate, a no cards, a speed, a fog, a 2 player, a team, a cross map, a terminator, an assassin. And then the Main Event would be hosted on the most common or most "standard" settings, which would probably be 6 player, Classic, escalating, seq, chained.

It's a lot of work for some people, but the TD's already host plenty of tournaments anyway. Having official tournaments would increase traffic to that area of the site, and it would reward players for being the best (or very good) at a particular setting. It might solve some of the problems of not having multiple scoreboards, because you could get an annual reward in this way. People might not like this idea, but you could possibly charge a nominal entry fee (say $5) to enter. That would ensure that the players are dedicated, and could give the site some increased money....or it could be a way to give out cash prizes. Of course, then people would consider it to be betting, and it would probably be illegal outright.

Anyway, that is my thought on the matter. Whatever form it may come in, I would love some CC sanctioned tournaments.
Major sully800

Return to Archived Suggestions