Conquer Club

Imperium Romanum [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Imperium Romanum [Quenched]

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:19 am

by Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey,
When I attack to or from Judea it shows the terts name as ludea. Is that a typo or am I being dumb?

in moment i whas #-o ,almost belive that i made mistake and that i write on map iudea.Thanks god,everything is ok-Iudaea is latin name for roman provinces,and Judaea is english translation.
Its look that you are dumb,but these is yours words. :|
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:26 am

qwert wrote:
by Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Hey,
When I attack to or from Judea it shows the terts name as ludea. Is that a typo or am I being dumb?

in moment i whas #-o ,almost belive that i made mistake and that i write on map iudea.Thanks god,everything is ok-Iudaea is latin name for roman provinces,and Judaea is english translation.
Its look that you are dumb,but these is yours words. :|

Wait QWERT, now I feel really dumb... It's written as both ludea and Judea on the map though. It's supposed to be like that?
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Wait QWERT, now I feel really dumb... It's written as both ludea and Judea on the map though. It's supposed to be like that?

You want to confuse me?
Small map write -IUDAEA
large map write-IUDAEA
XML write-IUDAEA

now where you see IUDEA and JUDEA?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Juan_Bottom on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:22 pm

LOL, the map says Judea, but the little scroll tab(xml?) says ludea. Unless one L looks waaay off...

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:25 pm

LOL, the map says Judea, but the little scroll tab(xml?) says ludea. Unless one L looks waaay off...

Hmm its look that you dont see good diferences
I U D A E A -------------------these write in map and xml
J U D E A----------------------these is what you see(i dont know how)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:28 pm

another two day statistic-day 6
Avaiting player 71
Active 242(last time 216)
finished 388--64 finished game per day
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MrBenn on Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:30 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Hey,

As qwert said, the territory name is IUDEA on the map, although the curvy text makes the I look a little bit like a J ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Yeah, I figured it out finally. But I had to blow up the map. It's that little line that runs along the coast in the water, it touches the bottom of the l and smudges it a bit. My moniter doesn't help with it either.

Postby Qwert on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:10 am

you say judea-hmm do you not see that name have two A?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Juan_Bottom on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:51 am

qwert wrote:you say judea-hmm do you not see that name have two A?

Yes, I misspelled. Sorry for the confusion. It was only the 'l' that I was having trouble with. But I've been contented, because now I understand what I was seeing. An optical illusion of sorts.

Postby Qwert on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:59 am

Yes, I misspelled. Sorry for the confusion. It was only the 'l' that I was having trouble with. But I've been contented, because now I understand what I was seeing. An optical illusion of sorts.

ITs good to heard,now you complete prepare for these map,and nothing can supprised you,well except bad dices. :mrgreen:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby eigenvector on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:26 am

Hi,

Hope I'm not barging in too late here...

I've played two games on this map and have high regard for the graphics and style. Also the bonuses system is cool. I have some serious misgivings, though, about some of the borders:

(a) The navies seem to play no real part in 2-player games. They are connected only to one territory and apparently start neutral (do they really? maybe it was just a fluke in my 2 games). So one doesn't bother about them and they just hang there.

(b) For similar reasons, I never got around to doing anything with the Rome inset. It's just too much trouble and not worth it.

One more thing: the convention by which province names written outside the provinces themselves is not very convenient. One gets used to it but it doesn't quite feel right.

Overall though, nice map. There is huge potential here.
Cook eigenvector

Postby Qwert on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi,

I've played two games on this map and have high regard for the graphics and style. Also the bonuses system is cool. I have some serious misgivings, though, about some of the borders:

(a) The navies seem to play no real part in 2-player games. They are connected only to one territory and apparently start neutral (do they really? maybe it was just a fluke in my 2 games). So one doesn't bother about them and they just hang there.

(b) For similar reasons, I never got around to doing anything with the Rome inset. It's just too much trouble and not worth it.

One more thing: the convention by which province names written outside the provinces themselves is not very convenient. One gets used to it but it doesn't quite feel right.

Ships and Rome is not worth in 1v1 players.
All territory who gives bonuses start neutral
You can take ship and dont be afraid that someon from other ship can attack(just follow attack routes)
These last i dont quit understand.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Ditoboisy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:19 pm

I think this map is a little confusing.
Cadet Ditoboisy

Postby Qwert on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:20 pm

by Ditoboisy on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:19 pm

I think this map is a little confusing.

Can you be more specific,what is confusing?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby eigenvector on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:57 pm

qwert wrote:
Hi,

Ships and Rome is not worth in 1v1 players.
All territory who gives bonuses start neutral
You can take ship and dont be afraid that someon from other ship can attack(just follow attack routes)
These last i dont quit understand.

Okay, I'll try some multi gams to see if the ships and Rome pan out there.

But with ships I think it makes more sense to have them connected to different continents - after all, this is one of the manifest purposes of having a navy: attacking other pieces of landmass, right?

The last point was about layout, never mind.
Cook eigenvector

Postby Qwert on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:06 pm

yea maybe in new age,in roman era fleets use for cover some importan sea regions,and will be very imposibile that fleet from mauretania attack fleet in egypt(month and month of rowing). In year when Trajanus whas emperor,seas whas quit peace place(well except pirates)
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Qwert on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:25 pm

statistic day 10
avaiting 60(last time 71)
Active 276 (242)
finished 552(388)---55,2 per day
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby eigenvector on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:45 am

qwert wrote:yea maybe in new age,in roman era fleets use for cover some importan sea regions,and will be very imposibile that fleet from mauretania attack fleet in egypt(month and month of rowing). In year when Trajanus whas emperor,seas whas quit peace place(well except pirates)

Nevertheless, the First Punic War saw a lot of naval action. Based on this, I think that it makes ample sense to have Africa Proconsularis connected to Sicily via the sea. Similar arguments can be made for other areas.
Cook eigenvector

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:44 pm

eigenvector wrote:
qwert wrote:yea maybe in new age,in roman era fleets use for cover some importan sea regions,and will be very imposibile that fleet from mauretania attack fleet in egypt(month and month of rowing). In year when Trajanus whas emperor,seas whas quit peace place(well except pirates)

Nevertheless, the First Punic War saw a lot of naval action. Based on this, I think that it makes ample sense to have Africa Proconsularis connected to Sicily via the sea. Similar arguments can be made for other areas.

Not only do I side with Qwert on this, but I hardly think it's practical to revise the map now. This is the kind of stuff that should have been (if it wasn't) discussed when the map was being made. Transforming the map, and re-writing the XML hardly sounds practical, especially since so many people are playing it.
But everyone is encouraged to help with the map discussions in the Map Foundry!
I hope this doesn't sound condescending, cauze I'm not trying to sound that way.

Postby eigenvector on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:32 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:
eigenvector wrote:

Not only do I side with Qwert on this, but I hardly think it's practical to revise the map now. This is the kind of stuff that should have been (if it wasn't) discussed when the map was being made. Transforming the map, and re-writing the XML hardly sounds practical, especially since so many people are playing it.
But everyone is encouraged to help with the map discussions in the Map Foundry!
I hope this doesn't sound condescending, cauze I'm not trying to sound that way.

Okay, I understand that this is late in the day. However, the whole idea of Beta is to figure out problems in gameplay, right? (By the way the argument "especially since so many people are playing it." is irrelevant since those people, including me, are playing with the knowledge that the gameplay may change in the middle..).

I think the map is nice the way it is but large parts of it go wasted in 2- or 3- player games and I think it might be better to fix it.
Cook eigenvector

Postby Qwert on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:17 pm

Okay, I understand that this is late in the day. However, the whole idea of Beta is to figure out problems in gameplay, right? (By the way the argument "especially since so many people are playing it." is irrelevant since those people, including me, are playing with the knowledge that the gameplay may change in the middle..).

I think the map is nice the way it is but large parts of it go wasted in 2- or 3- player games and I think it might be better to fix it.

MAp is in beta stage, and if you think that gameplay of these map is not good,then you must explane why i must connect Africa proconsularis with Sicilia,and what will geyt with that in gameplay.
Your Argument abouth Punic wars is for RUbben Casar map(he create map who story is Roma -Cartage wars).
When i want to find any wars in years when Trajanus whas emperor i have big troubles to find any significant war (except with dacia),and for seas i dont find nothing.
For now you are first who think that gameplay can be better,so i waiting yours solution for better gameplay,still i think that gameplay is very good balanced and that nobody have any advantage,even if you play first.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby eigenvector on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:48 pm

qwert wrote:

MAp is in beta stage, and if you think that gameplay of these map is not good,then you must explane why i must connect Africa proconsularis with Sicilia,and what will geyt with that in gameplay.
Your Argument abouth Punic wars is for RUbben Casar map(he create map who story is Roma -Cartage wars).
When i want to find any wars in years when Trajanus whas emperor i have big troubles to find any significant war (except with dacia),and for seas i dont find nothing.
For now you are first who think that gameplay can be better,so i waiting yours solution for better gameplay,still i think that gameplay is very good balanced and that nobody have any advantage,even if you play first.

Hey,

My argument is not about advantage, it's about parts of the map hanging about uselessly. The balance is actually very good, kudos to you there.

The solution I offered is to add links between the navies and continents. The Punic War example was to show that such links make historical sense.

As for Trajan, he waged wars agains the Dacians and the Parthians. But I presume that the map has links between area that *could* be attacked given contemporary military technology, not between areas actually engaged in warfare uring Trajan's reign - because in the latter case you'd have almost no links at all..
Cook eigenvector

Postby roman imperium on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:20 pm

I love having a map named completely after me. It makes me feel special. Though I am curious as to the copyright issues about the name, seeing as it is the same as a computer game: http://pc.ign.com/objects/142/14221596.html

I did have to spend a few minutes figuring out the legend before I played, but I have no suggestions as to how to improve it.
Private roman imperium

Postby MrBenn on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:28 pm

No copyright issues... it's more than 70yrs since the fall of the Roman Empire...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas