Tournaments completed in 2009.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

City Trip [WINNER: inos]

Postby PaulusH on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:50 pm

News on running
inos is the overall winner =D> =D> =D>

Status overview is in post2 as well as in first post at page 2 :geek:

Headlines
Premiums as well as non-premiums are welcome for this travel.
At entering you have to tell how many slots you would like to keep open for this tournament.
So you are free to keep any amount of slots available.
If you don't tell howmany slot you like to use I take as default of 2 slots for non-premiums and 4 for premiums.

Planning
Start first games on 28 October. At that moment you need to have your slots open.
In case I have to postpone that date, I will enounce it at this location, latest on the 24 Oct.
Start date is now fixed. I need to get some more reserves, but that will not influence the starting date.

City Trip
Our travel-agency offers you with this City Trip a visit with a group of 49 people to in total 8 wonderful places. Of course staying together in each city with such a large group is rather difficult, so in the city itself we split up in 7 groups of 7 persons. Every next city people will be swapped over the groups (using the windmill setup). After the last city you will have visit with each of the 48 other people exactly one location. There are two complications:
1. This is a package deal; once you have started a visit of one location you are supposed to visit them all and are not allowed to skip one of them.
2. In every city we only arranged max 50 days to stay. (In other words in case a game is starting round 50 it is no longer supposed to be part of this tournament).
In case you donā€™t like one of the locations we are going to visit or disagree with the contract specifications, you better look for another travel-agency.

The places that we are going to visit are New York; Brussels; Pearl; Hong Kong; Montreal; Sidney; San Francisco and Berlin. The intention was to make it all standard trips (standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny); but somehow most of the places did give some complications at booking for such a large group, so in the end there quite some exceptions (I will come back on that).
Since our travel-agency would like to make some profit, we only start in case we are clearly overbooked. Just as all other travel agencies we go for at least 10% overbook and donā€™t mind larger overbooking. We also donā€™t mind in case you would like to fly back and forward between cities, so you might do your visits more or less in parallel. All travelling is at your own cost, our travel-agency only take care of the part inside the cities. Just tell us your maximum number of cities you can handle in parallel (see Headlines).

You just have to make sure you visit the booked hotel / B&B / etc. directly at the start the first time (you will get approx. 48 hours to join a game you are invited for by a PM). Not sleeping at that location (missing a turn) is not a problem for the travel-agency, but your companions might not like it. In case you do have travelling problems, miss luggage or have other problems just ask me for some help; our travel-agency can do a lot. The baby-sit service has some strict rules and limited capacity; in case you need this ask in time for availability and further conditions. In case you are too late to check in at the hotel or B&B we are happy that we had some overbooking at the start.

Our travel agency wishes a pleasant stay at all 8 locations.

Booking details
By the way as mentioned we had some small problems at booking, so here are some more details. In the end there was only one location were we could realize our planned standard: standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
New York: the only option we had was booking a hotel near the coast and caused by the climate change of Al Gore an escalating cyclone is coming; we are so sorry for the inconvenience
Brussel: All hotels were already booked, but we were able to book some B&B in villages nearby: Plancenoit; Chapelle Saint-Lambert and in Mont Saint-Jean (at arrival you will notice that there are even some people who have to stay at farms, but I will not tell that yet). On the road to Brussel we keep the car before us as target, in other words assassin setting.
Pearl: In case this ā€œcityā€ didnā€™t had a harbour it would most likely be a hardly known location with 30.000 people. In fact so dull that every thing should be all standard
Hong Kong: is in a deal with Great Britain taken over by China and now waiting to be terminated
Montreal: Everything seems different in this city. In fact it is the only city I know where the sun rise in the morning in the south and sun fall in the evening is in the north. So nothing standard here, but terminator; freestyle; escalating; chained & fog
Sidney: To be completely honest in fact we did loose the papers about which hotel we booked. So we have to sleep down under in the metro. You have to believe me that I am very, very sorry for this . Of course we canā€™t locate were everybody is at that moment: fog
San Francisco: in this warm city and its surrounding area people are free to start new business easily: freestyle
Berlin: We expect some logistics and transport problems to reach the hotels: adjacent.

Score
As score we use the windmill score. Our Travel agency did arrange sponsoring by 7 of the 8 cities. Accept for Pearl you will get more tulips in case you stay longer in that city. You will get for each game 21, 17, 13, 9, 7, 5 or 3 tulips depending on your position. The winner gets 21 tulips.
Since at WWII people had to eat tulips you also have to eat tulips at the WWII related maps as at Pearl. You will have to eat 0, 4, 8, 12, 14, 16 or 18 tulips depending on your end position in Pearl. So the winner doesnā€™t eat tulips
In case you have not enough tulips at the moment you need to eat, you will eat only the tulips you have at that moment. Negative tulips donā€™t exists ! :) :D :lol:

In Brussel each game will have a clear winner and a person at last position (and in case of a deadbeat also a number 6). The remaining people are considered to end equally in that game and split the tulips of the remaining places.
In case a game is starting round 50 basically the remaining people in the game will split up the remaining tulips, however there is one complication: some tulips are no longer fresh. So each person remaining will get between zero and two tulips less (or has to eat that amount extra). Since this will never be zero and never be two, it is very likely that it will be one.

In case there is at the end of the competition a tie in number of tulips collected, the results of game(s) in which those persons where in together will show there relative position.

Any needed reserve will get the same number of tulips as the person at position 7 at that moment. Furthermore he -or she- will get one extra bonus tulip.

Predictions
Predictions like this are easily not 100% correct, see my earlier tournament with predictions: link. The problem is that they really are only predictions.
ā€¢ Expected start first games at 28 October.
ā€¢ Expected start last game on 14 March
ā€¢ Expected the very last game to be finished at 25 April
All predictions were made on 1 October. First prediction was correct (not that difficult) so 100% score
Second prediction in reality 7 Feb, 35 days earlier. 1 Oct to 14 March is 164 days; and 35/164 is 21% mistake.
third prediction in reality 18 Feb in which is 32% mistake.
So average is 18%, which is worse compared to Crazy Dinner Date (11.5%) and Asian Dinner Date (9%)
Last edited by PaulusH on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:38 am, edited 146 times in total.
Major PaulusH

Status

Postby PaulusH on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Ok some details in an attempt to explain why the score is as it is. In fact grouped in five issues:
    Games running and games still to start
    Normal score
    Special score at Pearl
    Special score for reserves
    A tie in tulips but not a tie in the list

For games that are running you see the game-number in this list. The player is in that is at the same line is still active in that specific game. Other active players in that game can be found by searching the same game number. Game numbers are much higher then score; therefore there should be no doubt what are game numbers and what is score.
For not started games people with the same symbol at a city will be in the same group at that specific visit. Again everybody can find who will be the other players at the same game by searching for the same symbol at that game-setting. Since you only will have one game with each of the other travellers the number of people to check is limited.

Normal score
For games on most maps you will get tulips. The number of tulips depend on the moment you are kicked out of the game. For each game the winner will get 21 tulips. The first eliminated person gets 3 tulips. The total list is 21 17 13 9 7 5 3.

Special score at Pearl
Since Pearl is related to WWII, you don't get tulips there. In stead of that you have to eat tulips (at the end of WWII there was not enough food in the Netherlands and people did eat tulips to stay alive). Again the number depends on the moment you are kicked out of the game. The winner doesn't have to eat any tulip, so 0 The first eliminated has to eat 18 tulips. The total list is 0 4 8 12 14 16 18.
However there is an special extra rule for the eating. It could happen that at the moment you should eat, you don't have any or not enough tulips to eat. Since there are no negative tulips you only eat the number of tulips you have at that moment; this includes that you don't eat at any in case you don't have any.
poptartpsycho18 might have read this part correctly (or was just lucky), anyway she (or he) was the first who was so smart to leave Pearl before she (or he) had any tulips. Later PAUL912 and seamusvibe followed that example. Several others had some short, so only eat the amount they had bauild up before.
In fact this is working now in the way it was made by the twisted idea of the tournament organizer (me). In case somebody would have understood completely how this works and what the consequence of it would be, then that person would have entered the tournament using 3 slots. Nobody used that :geek:

Most tournament organizers of non 1v1 tournaments depends on reserves to get a tournament to the end. To only possibility I see to get reserves into the tournament and get again reserves in a next tournament is to give reserves a fair change to become the end winner. On the other hand the players that stay in the tournament must also have a fair change. In fact that is a difficult balance.
In general the people who stop have a relative low number of tulips (not always but often), so just pass those tulips would not be fair. Therefore I basically give reserves the same number of tulips as the person who is at place number 7. On top of that the reserve get one bonus tulip. In case I need a reserve directly at the start; nobody has tulips; also number 7 has no tulips; at that moment the reserve will only gets the bonus tulip. As stated before organizers depends often on reserves.
Starting with one tulip, but playing bad or average it will not be possible to win the tournament. Starting later at place number 7 it should still be possible to win, but again that person has to be either very good or very lucky. In case the tournament is running to its end and you start at place number 7, the numbers 1 to 6 must have to end one (or more) games low in the ranking while the reserve have to end (most of the) games high. It will not be easy.
In this tournament I have used 4 reserves up to now. Two of them early in the tournament and since there number of tulips was more or less the same as the person they replaced, I did leave in the score of the person who left. Two of them after that 4 games were played and the diffence with the score of the person left would have been unexplainable high. So those last two have a "-" as score now for the first 4 games. By coincident for both of those last two persons number 7 had 39 tulips at the moment they entered. With the one bonus gives them a starting value of 40 tulips.

In case of a tie in the number of tulips, simply seach the game in which both persons were together. There is always one game in which two persons were (or will be) together. In fact that game is re-used as a kind of tie-game. So who was last kicked out of that specific games will get the higher position.
Theoretically I tie of three or more persons could happen. On the other hand three or more persons with the same amount of tulips doesn't have to be a tie: example Bolo XXXV was in San Francisco together with matt c.; in Berlin with spidey and in Sydney together with IronWood. In all three games Bolo XXXV did get a higher place so in the total end score he is ranked higher. IronWood got a higher end-position then matt c. in Berlin and won in Hong Kong from the person replaced by spidey. matt c. and spidey went together to Montreal. So four people end up with the same number of tulips, but it is no tie at all.
Of course it could happen that you were not in a game with one of the reserves. On the other hand the reserves did get one bonus tulip, which makes it more difficult to end in a tie at the end.
In this tournament I also used an assassin setting. Causing that leolou2 and GMC ended in a tie; Godd has also the same amount of tulips but was better at both locations where he met those other two.
Last edited by PaulusH on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:33 pm, edited 118 times in total.
Major PaulusH

Extra info, not really needed to know

Postby PaulusH on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:51 pm

Currently this gives more detail on the game setting
And it also gives the complete general windmill scoring. With the windmill scoring all kind of games can be mixed, for instance standard games with team games.

Settings games
map; type; order; bonus; fortifications; fog or sun
1 New York City; standard, sequential, escalating , unlimited, sunny.
2 Brussels road; assassin, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
3 Pearl Harbour; standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
4 Hong Kong; terminated, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
5 Montreal, terminator; freestyle; escalating; chained & fog.
6 Sidney; standard, sequential, flat rate, unlimited, fog.
7 San Francisco, standard, freestyle, flat rate, unlimited, sunny.
8 Berlin; standard, sequential, flat rate, adjacent, sunny.

General windmill scoring
In fact there are two groups of maps each having there own scoring. The reason for that is that in WWII people start eating tulips because of the hunger.

The complete windmill system scoring is up to 8 persons. Simply leave out lowest in case you play with less.
Score: get 21, get 17, get 13, get 9, get 7, get 5, get 3 or get 1 tulip
WWII: eat 0, eat 4, eat 8, eat 12, eat 14, eat 16, eat 18 or eat 20 tulips.
It is never possible to have negative tulips.
Reserve player: get one tulip extra on top of starting quantity of current position 7.

Mixing of standard, terminator, all team-setting and most assassins is possible.
Assassin with 7 players is not perfect, in that case number 2,3,4,5 and 6 get together one tulip less. In case of one deadbeat in a 7 players assassin game the company will spend three extra tulips: one extra for the winner and two extra for positions 2,3,4 and 5.
Last edited by PaulusH on Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Major PaulusH

Re: An new tournament

Postby firth4eva on Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:52 pm

Having fun?
Captain firth4eva

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 1 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:39 pm

firth4eva wrote:Having fun?

Yes, it will be fun ! :lol:

I suppose you are the first in =D>
Major PaulusH

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 1 / 49 + 5]

Postby amazzony on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:19 am

Excellent once again! =D>

So, if I'm premium and wish to play 2 games at once in your tournament then it is possible? Whatever the options are, I'm still in. Stop making good tournaments, I can never get my game count down! #-o
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 2 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:11 pm

amazzony wrote:Excellent once again! =D>

amazzony wrote:So, if I'm premium and wish to play 2 games at once in your tournament then it is possible?

Yes :geek:
amazzony wrote:Whatever the options are, I'm still in.

Yes you are in =D>
amazzony wrote: Stop making good tournaments, I can never get my game count down! #-o

I have no idea how to make a bad tournament, or should I not interpret it as such a request :roll:
Major PaulusH

Postby Gilligan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:13 pm

I'm in
Captain Gilligan

Postby Marfski on Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:51 pm

In please.
Sergeant Marfski

Postby PAUL912 on Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:06 pm

I'm in
Cadet PAUL912

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 4 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:30 pm

Gilligan, Marfski and PAUL912 welcome 8-)

We only have to wait until another 50 people to book this trip :lol:
Major PaulusH

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 4 / 49 + 5]

Postby lagger-no-1 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:08 pm

I'll play, 2 spaces open
Corporal 1st Class lagger-no-1

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 5 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Ok lagger-no-1 you are in :D
Major PaulusH

Postby Godd on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:06 pm

I'll Play with as many games as you can make. The only problem I see with the dates is on the 29th I leave for the Risk Tourney of Champions so I am not sure if I will make all games that weekend (depends on if I get kicked out early or not there)
Major Godd

Postby PaulusH on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:05 am

Godd wrote:I'll Play with as many games as you can make. The only problem I see with the dates is on the 29th I leave for the Risk Tourney of Champions so I am not sure if I will make all games that weekend (depends on if I get kicked out early or not there)

Our travel-agency has a baby-sit facility :D
In case you would like to use it we have to agree on some details (limited # games and days; what kind of moves) :mrgreen:
Missing turns is another option :twisted:

I counted you in 8-)
Major PaulusH

Stutus overview (copy of post2)

Postby PaulusH on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:05 am

Click image to enlarge.

Ok some details in an attempt to explain why the score is as it is. In fact grouped in five issues:
    Normal score
    Special score at Pearl

For games that are running you see the game-number in this list. The player is in that is at the same line is still active in that specific game. Other active players in that game can be found by searching the same game number. Game numbers are much higher then score; therefore there should be no doubt what are game numbers and what is score.
For not started games people with the same symbol at a city will be in the same group at that specific visit. Again everybody can find who will be the other players at the same game by searching for the same symbol at that game-setting. Since you only will have one game with each of the other travellers the number of people to check is limited.

Normal score
For games on most maps you will get tulips. The number of tulips depend on the moment you are kicked out of the game. For each game the winner will get 21 tulips. The first eliminated person gets 3 tulips. The total list is 21 17 13 9 7 5 3.

Special score at Pearl
Since Pearl is related to WWII, you don't get tulips there. In stead of that you have to eat tulips (at the end of WWII there was not enough food in the Netherlands and people did eat tulips to stay alive). Again the number depends on the moment you are kicked out of the game. The winner doesn't have to eat any tulip, so 0 The first eliminated has to eat 18 tulips. The total list is 0 4 8 12 14 16 18.
However there is an special extra rule for the eating. It could happen that at the moment you should eat, you don't have any or not enough tulips to eat. Since there are no negative tulips you only eat the number of tulips you have at that moment; this includes that you don't eat at any in case you don't have any.
poptartpsycho18 might have read this part correctly (or was just lucky), anyway she (or he) was the first who was so smart to leave Pearl before she (or he) had any tulips. Later PAUL912 and seamusvibe followed that example. Several others had some short, so only eat the amount they had bauild up before.
In fact this is working now in the way it was made by the twisted idea of the tournament organizer (me). In case somebody would have understood completely how this works and what the consequence of it would be, then that person would have entered the tournament using 3 slots. Nobody used that :geek:

Most tournament organizers of non 1v1 tournaments depends on reserves to get a tournament to the end. To only possibility I see to get reserves into the tournament and get again reserves in a next tournament is to give reserves a fair change to become the end winner. On the other hand the players that stay in the tournament must also have a fair change. In fact that is a difficult balance.
In general the people who stop have a relative low number of tulips (not always but often), so just pass those tulips would not be fair. Therefore I basically give reserves the same number of tulips as the person who is at place number 7. On top of that the reserve get one bonus tulip. In case I need a reserve directly at the start; nobody has tulips; also number 7 has no tulips; at that moment the reserve will only gets the bonus tulip. As stated before organizers depends often on reserves.
Starting with one tulip, but playing bad or average it will not be possible to win the tournament. Starting later at place number 7 it should still be possible to win, but again that person has to be either very good or very lucky. In case the tournament is running to its end and you start at place number 7, the numbers 1 to 6 must have to end one (or more) games low in the ranking while the reserve have to end (most of the) games high. It will not be easy.
In this tournament I have used 4 reserves up to now. Two of them early in the tournament and since there number of tulips was more or less the same as the person they replaced, I did leave in the score of the person who left. Two of them after that 4 games were played and the diffence with the score of the person left would have been unexplainable high. So those last two have a "-" as score now for the first 4 games. By coincident for both of those last two persons number 7 had 39 tulips at the moment they entered. With the one bonus gives them a starting value of 40 tulips.

In case of a tie in the number of tulips, simply seach the game in which both persons were together. There is always one game in which two persons were (or will be) together. In fact that game is re-used as a kind of tie-game. So who was last kicked out of that specific games will get the higher position.
Theoretically I tie of three or more persons could happen. On the other hand three or more persons with the same amount of tulips doesn't have to be a tie: example Bolo XXXV was in San Francisco together with matt c.; in Berlin with spidey and in Sydney together with IronWood. In all three games Bolo XXXV did get a higher place so in the total end score he is ranked higher. IronWood got a higher end-position then matt c. in Berlin and won in Hong Kong from the person replaced by spidey. matt c. and spidey went together to Montreal. So four people end up with the same number of tulips, but it is no tie at all.
Of course it could happen that you were not in a game with one of the reserves. On the other hand the reserves did get one bonus tulip, which makes it more difficult to end in a tie at the end.
In this tournament I also used an assassin setting. Causing that leolou2 and GMC ended in a tie; Godd has also the same amount of tulips but was better at both locations where he met those other two.
Last edited by PaulusH on Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:34 pm, edited 107 times in total.
Major PaulusH

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 6 / 49 + 5]

Postby Arcane100 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:22 am

:D im in pls...only 1slot\City at a time pls.
Cook Arcane100

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 7 / 49 + 5]

Postby poptartpsycho18 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:09 am

I'm in and like Godd I'll play as many as possible :D
Corporal poptartpsycho18

Postby amazzony on Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 am

Been away from weekend (what a nice rest! :P) so here's a better late than never answer.

PaulusH wrote:
amazzony wrote: Stop making good tournaments, I can never get my game count down! #-o

I have no idea how to make a bad tournament, or should I not interpret it as such a request :roll:

I just meant that... darn, your tournaments are great! :ugeek:
Lieutenant amazzony

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 8 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 pm

Welcome Arcane100 and poptartpsycho18 ;)

amazzony, I did understood it the first time :mrgreen:
But since I don't know what to do with compliments I tried to turn it in a joke :oops:
Major PaulusH

Postby John Price on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:59 pm

In please
Corporal John Price

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 9 / 49 + 5]

Postby dustin800 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:06 pm

In please.
Major dustin800

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 10 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:26 pm

John Price & dustin800 welcome 8-)
Major PaulusH

Postby amazzony on Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:31 pm

PaulusH wrote:mazzony, I did understood it the first time :mrgreen:
But since I don't know what to do with compliments I tried to turn it in a joke :oops:

Ahhaa, and I didn't have a good punchline :lol: Well, nevertheless, I wish you good luck with fishing (aka finding members to join) and hopefully it will start soon :D

And no, I'm not your personal stalker :roll:
Lieutenant amazzony

Re: City Trip (7x7 windmill) fun 4 all [ 10 / 49 + 5]

Postby PaulusH on Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Only 39 places left 8-)

We are going to visit 8 nice Cities; to join this trip the only thing you need to do is push the reply bottom and type "in" :D
Major PaulusH

Next

Return to Completed 2009