Conquer Club

Internet Speed Test--

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Internet Speed Test--

Postby DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:03 am

um how come mines so low, im not that slow!! :lol: :lol:
Colonel DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID

Postby Scott-Land on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:31 am

Phlaim wrote:Highest speed so far, but I'm not faster than you anyway, Scott. It got too much to do with ping and the distance to CC's game server.

You're right the further away you are the higher the ping times. I'd be interested to know if the ping to CC's server is anywhere near what it is on the speed site. EDIT: Suppose that wouldn't work either as the speed site apparently is running off multiple servers. Blah. Suppose it would still be worth seeing the numbers.

DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:Image
um how come mines so low, im not that slow!! :lol: :lol:

LMAO- talking about Pony Express.... you know who carries you in speed dubs, now? :lol:

Your WiFi is in the 4000 range isn't it ?
Major Scott-Land

Postby DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID on Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:58 am

I would just like to say, with the measurement system of the speedtest, everybody should test theyre speed to dallas and test what the connection between Dallas(in texas) and their computer is. If you test it to where u live you will get a better result and an untrue one, unless you live in Dallas.

This may explain why Bruceswar and Fantasianasian are so fast.
I no Bruce live 20 minutes from the CC server and Fantasianasian lives in Texas to.

the lower the ping the better by the way scotty ;)
Last edited by DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID

Postby hulmey on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:00 am

DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:I would just like to say, with the measurement system of the speedtest, everybody should test theyre speed to dallas and test what the connection between Dallas(in texas) and they're computer is. If you test it to where u live you will get a better result and an untrue one, unless you live in Dallas.

I no Bruce live 20 minutes from the CC server and Fantasianasian lives in Texas to.

Does this mean that players from Europe are at a disadvantage? (speed wise)
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:05 am

hulmey wrote:Does this mean that players from Europe are at a disadvantage? (speed wise)

Yes it does--basically the further you live away from Dallas (in texas) the slower you will be!!
Colonel DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID

Postby Scott-Land on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:15 am

DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:I would just like to say, with the measurement system of the speedtest, everybody should test theyre speed to dallas and test what the connection between Dallas(in texas) and their computer is. If you test it to where u live you will get a better result and an untrue one, unless you live in Dallas.

Well I said the same thing Dat, the further away you are the more time it requires. Ahh that's a good bit of info to have- gives us more of an accurate assessment. CC's server is in Texas...

DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:
hulmey wrote:Does this mean that players from Europe are at a disadvantage? (speed wise)

Yes it does--basically the further you live away from Dallas (in texas) the slower you will be!!

How do you explain that Buiz and Karel are among the fastest players- and they're from the Netherlands ? You're talking about 1000 milliseconds that equals 1 second- ping times are so minimal. I'm sure there are different factors that compensate; connection speed and hardware would be a bigger factor than ping I would think....
Major Scott-Land

Postby MOBAJOBG on Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:49 am

Trust me when I say, ...this kind of lackluster speed is rather uncool.
Major MOBAJOBG

Postby foregone on Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:49 am

You think those are bad...

Corporal 1st Class foregone

Postby drake_259 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:25 am

Corporal drake_259

Postby freeroll84 on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:28 am

Sergeant 1st Class freeroll84

Postby daydream on Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:08 am

Lieutenant daydream

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:52 am

DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:

Wrong, I was slower to Salt Lake City (50 miles away) than I was to New York City (1900 miles away), distance does not equate into slower times.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Frop on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:59 am

Optimus Prime wrote:
DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:

Wrong, I was slower to Salt Lake City (50 miles away) than I was to New York City (1900 miles away), distance does not equate into slower times.

Yes, it does. What you can't see through Speedtest is the amount of 'hops' (amount of different servers between origin and destination) needed to reach the server. One could argue that you're on an internet backbone to New York with little to few hops, but have to hop across a vast number of servers to reach Salt Lake City (possibly quite a detour).

A better test would be to open up a command prompt and perform a traceroute to CC. Start -> Run (or Windows key + R), type 'cmd' and press Enter. Now that you've got a command prompt type 'tracert www.conquerclub.com' and press Enter. After it's done it will report the latency (ms) and the number of hops. Please note that in certain circumstances the traceroute will not be able to complete.
Last edited by Frop on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Frop

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:03 am

Frop wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:

Yes, it does. What you can't see through Speedtest is the amount of 'hops' (amount of different servers between origin and destination) needed to reach the server. One could argue that you're on an internet backbone to New York with little to few hops, but have to hop across a vast number of servers to reach Salt Lake City (possibly quite a detour).

Is there a particular reason I would be on a detour to the city closest to me? That doesn't seem to make much sense to be honest. I'm sure it's possible, just doesn't seem to be very efficient.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby DiM on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:16 am

beat this :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

that's the closest to my home.

and here's one from dallas texas 6000 miles away: :o

and one in new york 4750 miles away 8-)

so whoever said europe is at a big disadvantage was wrong. as you can see despite being so far away i still have better results than most of the americans. you guys are still using dial-up? :lol:

btw:
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gilligan on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:25 am

School isn't too good I guess.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Frop on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:25 am

Optimus Prime wrote:Is there a particular reason I would be on a detour to the city closest to me? That doesn't seem to make much sense to be honest. I'm sure it's possible, just doesn't seem to be very efficient.

It all depends on the 'internet' infrastructure and you're right, most of the time it isn't really efficient. A lot of factors contribute to a connection to a certain location being 'fast' or 'slow', but the routing of your provider is very important. For instance I once had a DSL provider which had very poor routing to the USA (200 ms), but when I switched back to a cable provider I had approximately 100 ms to the East Coast.

Captain Frop

Postby amazzony on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:37 am

"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Scott-Land on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 am

Optimus Prime wrote:Wrong, I was slower to Salt Lake City (50 miles away) than I was to New York City (1900 miles away), distance does not equate into slower times.

Exactly OP ( interpreted it backwards), you were faster in Salt Lake CIty than from New York. Lower the number the faster your are....

It took you 53 ms vs 88 ms in New York.
Last edited by Scott-Land on Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Scott-Land

Postby Phlaim on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:56 am

Frop wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID wrote:

A better test would be to open up a command prompt and perform a traceroute to CC. Start -> Run (or Windows key + R), type 'cmd' and press Enter. Now that you've got a command prompt type 'tracert http://www.conquerclub.com' and press Enter. After it's done it will report the latency (ms) and the number of hops. Please note that in certain circumstances the traceroute will not be able to complete.

Cool. I got 16 different jumps and it ended up with a ping on 160~ ms.

Also tried the dallas server:
Highest Score: 3868
Major Phlaim

Postby hulmey on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:39 pm

[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby RashidJelzin on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Click image to enlarge.

Omg... did I see people with 39k? How long does it take you to download a complete movie? .5 seconds?
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter OToole
Lieutenant RashidJelzin

Postby lancehoch on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:54 pm

Actually, I would not be doing anything illegal such as downloading a movie, but if I were, then it would take about 40min. I am not the only person on that internet connection, it is a school connection and there are about 6,000 people on campus.
Sergeant lancehoch

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:57 pm

Scott-Land wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:Wrong, I was slower to Salt Lake City (50 miles away) than I was to New York City (1900 miles away), distance does not equate into slower times.

Exactly OP ( interpreted it backwards), you were faster in Salt Lake CIty than from New York. Lower the number the faster your are....

It took you 53 ms vs 88 ms in New York.

I was talking about my upload and download speeds, not my ping speed.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby LFAW on Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Meh slow...
Colonel LFAW

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,