Conquer Club

Haiti [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Haiti v13 pg12 [Final Forge]

Postby yeti_c on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:09 am

edbeard wrote:don't tell anyone but my XML was passed by Forza before I was in FF ;)

Massive difference between having it checked and stamped!?!?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Any additional Final thoughts?

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby edbeard on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:47 pm

I have one and it's a very final thought
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:47 pm

Quenching

---The Final Forge period has concluded for the Haiti Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready for live play (barring any Lack vetoes).

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Haiti [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Congrats Edbeard. Excellent map! =D> =D> =D> =D>
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby yeti_c on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:13 am

Congrats Ed.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby edbeard on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:18 am

thanks guys. thanks also to those who commented. can't wait to play it. seems likely they'll be put up on monday (going based on past experiences)
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Frop on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Aw shooks, looks like I'm too late. Just about finished my first game on this map and I have to say it's nice and cozy. I don't think the impassables are apparent enough at first glance though, they're hard to spot even on the larger version. Would it still be possible to make them stick out more?
Captain Frop

Postby skater2000 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:34 pm

shouldn't artibonite be worth 4 bonus if u go by the regions it boarders?
Corporal 1st Class skater2000

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Frop wrote:Aw shooks, looks like I'm too late. Just about finished my first game on this map and I have to say it's nice and cozy. I don't think the impassables are apparent enough at first glance though, they're hard to spot even on the larger version. Would it still be possible to make them stick out more?

Yeah, in agreement here. I was playing a game and could have sworn a couple territories were connected, but it turns out they aren't after a closer view. The impassables just don't "pop" out at you like on most maps. Unless you are really paying attention they kind of get lost in there.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Bones2484 on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
Frop wrote:Aw shooks, looks like I'm too late. Just about finished my first game on this map and I have to say it's nice and cozy. I don't think the impassables are apparent enough at first glance though, they're hard to spot even on the larger version. Would it still be possible to make them stick out more?

Yeah, in agreement here. I was playing a game and could have sworn a couple territories were connected, but it turns out they aren't after a closer view. The impassables just don't "pop" out at you like on most maps. Unless you are really paying attention they kind of get lost in there.

Most of the crossings (Hinche - Los Posos, Hinche - Roseau, Bouli - Monet, Desdunes - SaintMarc) use "bridges" when the river crosses between the territories.

The one thing that confused me was the river on North of the map. Why does the border between Paul and Cap Haitien not use the "bridge"? The river obviously continues all the way to the coast, so it's not like it ends as it does between Kenscoff and Jacmel.
Major Bones2484

Postby edbeard on Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 pm

I dunno. The rivers to me look way different than the regular borders. They are quite obviously thicker so what else are they gonna be? I can appreciate that a few of you had problems with them but I think they're fine. I agree it's not like "omg those are rivers!" but they are quite obviously thicker and darker.

as for bones' comment, from maps I saw, it's not the same river. I couldn't find a map where those were connected and I looked at quite a few maps.

here's one example

Click image to enlarge.

artibonite is 3 because it's only 4 territories and you can take over one territory to cut down your borders to 3 territories.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Bones2484 on Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Ah, you would be correct.

Well. Just wanted to say that was where I had trouble reading the map at first (and it looks like others are having a problem as well). That's all!
Major Bones2484

Postby Jippd on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:27 am

I also came to this thread to specifically complain about the rivers. It is very hard to see, perhaps making the ocean a different shade of blue than the rivers?

It is clear most places but I can see how some are having problems, for me between Pastel and Cotes de Fer is unclear as well, I thought you could attack between those two til I had to look REALLLLLLLLLLLY hard after a deployment on there.
Major Jippd

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 am

Well, I see that others are having the same problem. The rivers sometimes looks like territory broders, and the territory borders sometimes look like rivers.

I personally am not concerned about the geography of the map, I just think different fonts or colors on the borders would fix this fine.

Here is he game link, two of us have had this problem

Game 3568873

I would like to say that this map is a ton of fun in 4-6 player terminator style. I think the map has enough connected territories to make mobility easy, but also some really great places to hide. I love the gameplay, but it is hard to read.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby 00iCon on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:20 pm

I got a spoil on this map called Cap-Haiten, shouldn't it be Cap-Haitien?

EDIT: line 17 in the XML
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Postby iancanton on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55 pm

almost: it's cap-haïtien, if u look at the reference map that edbeard uses above. however, i haven't seen edbeard around here for a while, so it could be some time before this is fixed.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: QUICK

Postby NOBODYIMPORTANT on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:03 am

CatfishJohnson wrote:I like the colors, they are easily seperable, fast play, simple gameplay, i like it

This map brought my win % from 12% to 41%. It's quick and I like that. 2v2 can be finished in 15 minutes or 3 days. It's easy, but can be a bitch against a good player. Sometimes placement will screw you IMMEDIATELY, but overall it's a VERY GOOD map and should be left alone. Only problem I ever found was the so called "random CC dice". You can lose this game in 2-3 turns.
Private NOBODYIMPORTANT

Postby MrBenn on Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:34 am

iancanton wrote:almost: it's cap-haïtien, if u look at the reference map that edbeard uses above. however, i haven't seen edbeard around here for a while, so it could be some time before this is fixed.

Since this thread has been bumped is this an XML-typo, or one from the map image too? If it's just the XML it's a simple fix...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby 00iCon on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 pm

MrBenn wrote:
iancanton wrote:almost: it's cap-haïtien, if u look at the reference map that edbeard uses above. however, i haven't seen edbeard around here for a while, so it could be some time before this is fixed.

Since this thread has been bumped is this an XML-typo, or one from the map image too? If it's just the XML it's a simple fix...

00iCon wrote:I got a spoil on this map called Cap-Haiten, shouldn't it be Cap-Haitien?

EDIT: line 17 in the XML
Corporal 1st Class 00iCon

Previous

Return to The Atlas