Conquer Club

"The Real University" [recruiting][social]

Find or create a usergroup based around a particular interest or commonality.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: "The Real University" [recruiting][social]

Postby Ditocoaf on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:06 am

Well, the e-ticket was delayed because a couple people on the list aren't active in any games. So, I just gave them the expanded list with everyone who's signed up since I sent the e-ticket. Hopefully it won't be too much longer.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby Dancing Mustard on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:20 am

Thanks Curmudgeon, thanks Skittles.

Sign me up, total innage to the maximum.
Wayne wrote:Wow, with a voice like that Dancing Mustard must get all the babes!

Garth wrote:Yeah, I bet he's totally studly and buff.
Corporal Dancing Mustard

Postby whitestazn88 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm in.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Simon Viavant on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:59 pm

In
ImageImageImage
Remember Them
Corporal Simon Viavant

Postby Visaoni on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:34 am

I'm in. Should be good.
Sergeant Visaoni

Postby john9blue on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:58 am

I'll join.

Seems like you're forming this in opposition to the FT, though. If the FT is too conservative for you (even though we wanted to kick out Lucas and BES [conservatives] and keep PLAYER [liberal]), then I can imagine what this place might be like. :lol:

If some of the FT rejects do well in this place, then I would suggest that the two clans merge (only kicking out the really annoying people). But I still think your efforts would be better spent trying to convince PBG to lower the admission standards for the FT (which will probably happen soon anyway), rather than starting a whole new clan. Just sayin'. :?
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:02 am

john9blue wrote:Seems like you're forming this in opposition to the FT, though.?

I stated this a while before I gave up on the FT, and I really didn't intend for them to "compete" or anything. The way I saw it when I had the idea: these would serve two different functions. The FT is a lot more exclusive than this is going to be, and that makes it safer in terms of guaranteeing legitimate discussion. I was looking forward to having that as an option.
john9blue wrote:If the FT is too conservative for you (even though we wanted to kick out Lucas and BES [conservatives] and keep PLAYER [liberal]), then I can imagine what this place might be like. :lol:

But now, I'm glad I have this, so I can learn from FT's mistakes. I definitely do not want to make this a liberal counterpart to FT's shortcomings: my goal is to allow for diversity. I'm going to hope the leadership find themselves in opposition in most issues, to where there'll be at least one leader on any side of a debate. In short: I want this to be legitimate as a "safe rationality forum" (like FT claimed to be), not just a getaway from people I personally dislike (which is what the FT really is). I'm looking for a diverse exchange of ideas.
john9blue wrote:If some of the FT rejects do well in this place,

(Oh god, I hope the irony of this statement will become public knowledge soon...)
john9blue wrote: then I would suggest that the two clans merge

I actually don't think that's a good idea... If the FT becomes a bit more reasonable, I'll likely re-apply for admission. But the FT aims to be an exclusive clan (in the good sense of the word), while TRU aims for diversity and benifit-of-the-doubt inclusiveness. Those two goals are incompatible, but I'd be glad to have both available to me.
john9blue wrote:But I still think your efforts would be better spent trying to convince PBG to lower the admission standards for the FT (which will probably happen soon anyway), rather than starting a whole new clan. Just sayin'. :?

Well, back when I made this I was still trying to "lower" the admission standards... but people have been pressing for fair trial since the FT was created. I don't think it's really likely to happen. Rather than force the FT to fit a different set of ideals than it was built on, I'd rather start anew, leaving both sets of ideals available.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Postby john9blue on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:(Oh god, I hope the irony of this statement will become public knowledge soon...)

Ehh? Do tell.

Ditocoaf wrote:But now, I'm glad I have this, so I can learn from FT's mistakes. I definitely do not want to make this a liberal counterpart to FT's shortcomings: my goal is to allow for diversity. I'm going to hope the leadership find themselves in opposition in most issues, to where there'll be at least one leader on any side of a debate. In short: I want this to be legitimate as a "safe rationality forum" (like FT claimed to be), not just a getaway from people I personally dislike (which is what the FT really is). I'm looking for a diverse exchange of ideas.

Ditocoaf wrote:I actually don't think that's a good idea... If the FT becomes a bit more reasonable, I'll likely re-apply for admission. But the FT aims to be an exclusive clan (in the good sense of the word), while TRU aims for diversity and benifit-of-the-doubt inclusiveness. Those two goals are incompatible, but I'd be glad to have both available to me.

Ditocoaf wrote:Well, back when I made this I was still trying to "lower" the admission standards... but people have been pressing for fair trial since the FT was created. I don't think it's really likely to happen. Rather than force the FT to fit a different set of ideals than it was built on, I'd rather start anew, leaving both sets of ideals available.

Sure, I see where you're coming from. No point in quitting when you're thinking about reapplying, though, imo.

But, if FT opens up its admission, and becomes less strict about its guidelines, we've got two nearly identical clans with the same goals. I don't want to have to post an interesting article or hot topic in two different places, and I don't think that Zeak, Skittles!, CA, etc. will want to reply to both of them. So we either have to split the argument into two (and some people will be missing out on key points), or repeat ourselves in both forums (and some people will be wasting their time reading both).

If, and only if, FT relaxes its guidelines, then the two should merge. I would suggest bringing everyone from TRU into FT, since all the topics are already there (and since the leader doesn't have much power in TRU, you shouldn't mind not being a leader anymore). I hope you get what I'm saying. A single forum would be so much easier than two forums with the same purpose. ;)
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:41 am

I'm in
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:21 am

Thanks to all those expressing a desire to join; as soon as the usergroup is created, I'll add you.

Postby Flungus on Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:53 am

I'd like to join please.
Pinky- "What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

Brain- "The same thing we do every night Pinky, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!"
Private Flungus

Postby Snorri1234 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:02 am

john9blue wrote:But, if FT opens up its admission, and becomes less strict about its guidelines, we've got two nearly identical clans with the same goals. I don't want to have to post an interesting article or hot topic in two different places, and I don't think that Zeak, Skittles!, CA, etc. will want to reply to both of them. So we either have to split the argument into two (and some people will be missing out on key points), or repeat ourselves in both forums (and some people will be wasting their time reading both).

Since Skittles and Zeak got kicked out of FT I don't see much of a problem.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby Stephan Wayne on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:31 pm

whats your definition of intelligent interesting ?
when you say things like that it means who ever has a good outlook on things and never thinks deeply
to really understand thing you must look outside the box and find a new prospective and the resulting truth scares too many people so you ingnore true logic to maintain innocence
this is why the clan is a lie
i did not mean to offend or anger merely pointing out the obvious hypocrisies
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Stephan Wayne

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 pm

Stephen Wayne wrote:whats your definition of intelligent interesting ?
when you say things like that it means who ever has a good outlook on things and never thinks deeply
to really understand thing you must look outside the box and find a new prospective and the resulting truth scares too many people so you ingnore true logic to maintain innocence

The "intelligent" part simply pertains to rational debate: Instead of insulting your opponents, provide a counterpoint to their opinion. Don't say someone's "stupid" or "ignorant," simply show, logically, where what they said might be wrong. I definitely don't want everyone to agree. I said "interesting" because I didn't want it to sound boring ;) .

Postby Stephan Wayne on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:57 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:

The "intelligent" part simply pertains to rational debate: Instead of insulting your opponents, provide a counterpoint to their opinion. Don't say someone's "stupid" or "ignorant," simply show, logically, where what they said might be wrong. I definitely don't want everyone to agree. I said "interesting" because I didn't want it to sound boring ;) .

well defended ill give you that one
if the debates are anything of that nature id join.... that is if my reputation does not betray me
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Stephan Wayne

Postby Ditocoaf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:42 am

Stephen Wayne wrote:
Ditocoaf wrote:

well defended ill give you that one
if the debates are anything of that nature id join.... that is if my reputation does not betray me

Of course you can join. One of the key tenets of this usergroup is that we give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:54 am

In please.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby CrazyAnglican on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:22 am

In light of recent events, I'd like to respectfully withdraw my application for membership.
Thank you
Corporal CrazyAnglican

Postby mpjh on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 am

Juan, did you scare him away?
Cadet mpjh

Postby CrazyAnglican on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:32 am

No it just has to do with the attempted willfull destruction of another clan. I think it shows a lack of class on the part of some members here and would rather not be associated (share a clan) with them.
Corporal CrazyAnglican

Postby Neoteny on Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:10 pm

The destruction was internal. The cause was an attempt to prove a point. The effect was an overreaction. There was never any intent to destroy the group.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby CrazyAnglican on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:09 pm

Actually there was no destruction, internal or otherwise. I said attempted destruction. Prove a point? Sure one small group has "proven" that they will go to great lengths in the attempt to insure that nobody sets a rule that they disagree with (mind you they can set or break any rule they like). There was no point; only a flimsy excuse. An outside member of the group stated clearly "this forum will be dead in a month" when it wasn't he used a members username and password to come inside and gripe about or admissions standards. As if turning our callouts thread into a bitchfest (to the point that it was shut down) wasn't enough.

Which isn't my intention here; so I'll refrain from any more comments as long as you don't mention me or the issue. Good luck all.
Corporal CrazyAnglican

Postby Neoteny on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:28 pm

CrazyAnglican wrote:Actually there was no destruction, internal or otherwise. I said attempted destruction. Prove a point? Sure one small group has "proven" that they will go to great lengths in the attempt to insure that nobody sets a rule that they disagree with (mind you they can set or break any rule they like). There was no point; only a flimsy excuse. An outside member of the group stated clearly "this forum will be dead in a month" when it wasn't he used a members username and password to come inside and gripe about or admissions standards. As if turning our callouts thread into a bitchfest (to the point that it was shut down) wasn't enough.

It's looking fairly bleak inside the forum, when such civil discussants as yourself and GT have either removed themselves or been removed. But that's beside the point, and you seem to be missing the point of what they endeavored to achieve. But if you don't want to talk about it, so be it.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby CrazyAnglican on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:36 pm

There was nothing they could have acheived that opening their own forum with differing standards (such as this one) wouldn't have done nicely. What they did was interfere with the internal workings of another clan. Hence the "we're right; screw off" mentality that is so prevalent in their posts (which btw was the reason that they weren't welcome in the first place.)

Isn't a common complaint (by the very same folks) against differing belief groups that they try to enforce their will on others? It's exactly what was done, and it's hypocrisy no matter how you try to paint it. I'm very well aware of what the intent was, and haven't missed the point at all. Why the interest in how bleak it is (not to mention knowledge of specific membership) if the intent was not to harm?
Corporal CrazyAnglican

Postby Ditocoaf on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:36 pm

Neoteny wrote:
CrazyAnglican wrote:Actually there was no destruction, internal or otherwise. I said attempted destruction. Prove a point? Sure one small group has "proven" that they will go to great lengths in the attempt to insure that nobody sets a rule that they disagree with (mind you they can set or break any rule they like). There was no point; only a flimsy excuse. An outside member of the group stated clearly "this forum will be dead in a month" when it wasn't he used a members username and password to come inside and gripe about or admissions standards. As if turning our callouts thread into a bitchfest (to the point that it was shut down) wasn't enough.

It's looking fairly bleak inside the forum, when such civil discussants as yourself and GT have either removed themselves or been removed. But that's beside the point, and you seem to be missing the point of what they endeavored to achieve. But if you don't want to talk about it, so be it.

I'm going to have to ask both of you to take this to PMs...

PreviousNext

Return to Create/Join a Social Usergroup