Conquer Club

Holiday Mapmaking Competitions!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Holiday Mapmaking Competitions!

Postby oaktown on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:29 pm

The Foundry is pleased to announce the

2008/9 Holiday Mapmaking Competitions

The 2nd round(s) of voting are now taking place:

Competition 1: The Central America Amateur Open

Competition 2: The Centerscape Invitational

--------------------------

This holiday season the Foundry is hosting two simultaneous mapmaking competitions. Each competition will have a distinctly different focus, and each will be open to a different segment of the ConquerClub mapmaking community. The prize for winning either competition will be one year of premium membership, to be awarded by lack when the map becomes a fully playable CC map. Read on!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Competition 1: The Central America Amateur Open

Given all of the thoughtful feedback we see here in the Foundry, we know that there are many talented artists out there who have yet to complete a map of their own for one reason or another. So this holiday season we wish to give thanks to these 'amateur' CC mapmakers by setting up a tournament that is open only to those CC members who have neither seen a map of theirs Quenched, nor who have one currently in the Forge awaiting Quenching. If that describes you, then this is your chance to get your name on a ConquerClub Map.

The subject of this competition will be the Central America map (see second post). The basic gameplay and territory layout have already been fleshed out by the Foundry, and oaktown has volunteered to see the map through the Gameplay stamp process and to deal with XML and army coordinates. Your task will be to lend your artistic talents and vision to this map.

Competition rules:
  1. It is the mapmaker's responsibility to understand and comply with all Foundry standards, including those regarding image size, use of copyright-free images, leaving required space for army counts, etc. See the How to Make a Map Handbook for specific expectations.
  2. Host your map file (one entry per contestant please) using Photobucket or some other file sharing program, and provide a link to Oaktown by 11:59pm GMT on December 10, 2008. In order to maintain anonymity during the competition, please do not post your own maps.
  3. A one-week voting period will be held to determine finalists.
  4. Finalists will then have an additional period of at least two weeks to make changes to their image before submitting a second link by a date to be determined... we don't want the voting to fall during the holidays so we'll give ample time before starting round two.
  5. Once a winner is chosen, the map will go through the standard Foundry process required to receive a Graphics stamp; we reserve the right to require gameplay/territory name changes should such concerns come up as a result of continued gameplay discussion on this map.
  6. No quenched/currently forged mapmakers may participate - amateurs only! (Note - the question has already been raised as to whether somebody is still an amateur if they have collaborated on a map... as this is a graphics competition, consider yourself an 'amateur' if you have never been the graphic artist on a quenched/forged map.)
What you can NOT change about the map: connections between regions/territories, bonuses, and territory/region names (though you can certainly lobby for such changes if your map wins).

What you CAN change about the map: everything else! Color choice, type, the legend and title, textures, map perspective - basically any and all graphic elements of this map. The look and feel of this map is entirely yours to create - give it some flavor!

Because we couldn't entirely exclude our talented crew of experienced mapmakers from all of the fun, the Foundry regulars have their own competition. Lack has given us the nod to go ahead and revamp the much-maligned Centerscape map, which replaced an old CC favorite which ran into some legal difficulties. The basic gameplay must remain the same your primary task will be to develop a new, copyright-proof theme and design for this map.

Competition rules:
  1. It is the mapmaker's responsibility to understand and comply with Foundry standards regarding image size, use of copyright-free images, leaving required space for army counts, etc. Maps not meeting Foundry standards and/or raising any copyright concerns may be withheld/removed from the competition.
  2. Host your map file (one entry per contestant please) using Photobucket or some other file sharing program, and a link must be provided to gimil by 11:59pm GMT on December 10, 2008. In order to maintain anonymity during the competition, please do not post your own maps.
  3. A one-week voting period will be held to determine finalists.
  4. Finalists will then have an additional period of at least two weeks to make changes to their image before submitting a second link by a date to be determined... we don't want the voting to fall during the holidays so we'll give ample time before starting round two.
  5. Once a winner is chosen, the map will go through the standard Foundry process required to receive a Graphics stamp. And while the XML is already in place the winning mapmaker will be responsible for updating the territory coordinates to fit the new image (the winner can farm this work out).
  6. This competition is open only to those mapmakers who have already quenched a map, or who have a map in the Forge currently awaiting a quenching.
This is more than a revamp; it's a complete restart! Connections between regions/territories and bonuses must remain the same, but everything artistic/thematic is up to you!

Alright everybody - your first draft is due in three weeks, so get to work!
Last edited by MrBenn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated
Captain oaktown

Re: Holiday Mapmaking Competitions!

Competition 1: Central America (for new mapmakers)

The challenge will be to come up with a stunning and original look for this map, currently undergoing a gameplay review in the Foundry (clicky). In developing an approach to this map, you are encouraged to consider the history, culture, and geography of the region. There are no restrictions as to time period or theme - this is your baby, so bring your own unique vision to the map and give it some flavor!

Click image to enlarge.

Map notes:
32 territories.
7 bonus zones (the Central American countries).
Classic gameplay, no tricks.
Sea routes connect territories as noted.
The current configuration of names is for identification purposes only - territory names should appear on the territories.
Captain oaktown

Competition 2: Centerscape Redux (for veteran mapmakers)

The challenge of this competition will be to put a new face on the Centerscape (formerly, well, you know). The sky's the limit, but make it copyright-proof!

Click image to enlarge.

Map basics:
46 territories.
7 bonus regions.
Classic gameplay, with a one-way attack.
Army count coordinates can change, but connectivity cannot!
Captain oaktown

Postby bryguy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:30 am

oaktown wrote:This competition is open only to those mapmakers who have already quenched a map, or who have a map in the Forge currently awaiting a quenching.

I dont like that rule :(

does it count if you were one of the 2 people working on xml for a map that got to the final forge but got taken back to the drafting room then abandoned then brought back then vacationed?
Corporal bryguy

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:48 am

bryguy wrote:
oaktown wrote:This competition is open only to those mapmakers who have already quenched a map, or who have a map in the Forge currently awaiting a quenching.

I dont like that rule :(

does it count if you were one of the 2 people working on xml for a map that got to the final forge but got taken back to the drafting room then abandoned then brought back then vacationed?

You're welcome to attempt the Central America one?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby RjBeals on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:11 am

Good luck all - maybe this will breath some life back into this group! Nice clear write-up Oak. Rules look pretty solid.
Private RjBeals

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:40 am

bryguy wrote:I dont like that rule :(

The original scheme was to just do the amateur competition, and it was ready to go when the Centerscape redux was approved... given that folks don't want to wait for Centerscape, this seemed like an interesting solution.

Everybody is included in one competition or the other - it just levels the playing field a bit in each.
Captain oaktown

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:54 am

About time baby ;)

I'm a little disappointed not being able to compete in Centrescape :cry: But I suppose I can give Central America a go.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:03 am

e_i_pi wrote:About time baby ;)

I'm a little disappointed not being able to compete in Centrescape :cry: But I suppose I can give Central America a go.

If you get Antartica into the forge you could?

C>
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:18 am

yeti_c wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:About time baby ;)

If you get Antartica into the forge you could?

C>

Not my decision to make yeti ;) Besides, I've already started on Central America :lol:

GOOD LUCK ALL!
Captain e_i_pi

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:25 am

I'll throw somethign together for centerscape.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 am

If you wanted to help advertise the foundry competitions, please free to sport the Competition Signature:
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=70130][img]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/bpawley/cc/ChristmasCompBanner.png[/img][/url]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ditocoaf on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:55 am

Hell yeah! My GIMP-port-for-mac skills aren't nearly enough to make a map (perhaps if I had access to CS3... meh oh well), but I'm stoked to watch the competition take place. Good luck to the competitors, and may the best map win!

>----------āœŖ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! āœŖ----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:11 pm

So where and when do we post what we come up with?
Captain e_i_pi

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:33 pm

e_i_pi wrote:So where and when do we post what we come up with?

read rule #2, above... to maintain annonymity you don't actually post anything, you just send a link to your file to either me or andy (depending on which competition) and we will post the files annonymously, hosting the files using a neutral account.
Captain oaktown

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:41 pm

oaktown wrote:

read rule #2, above... to maintain annonymity you don't actually post anything, you just send a link to your file to either me or andy (depending on which competition) and we will post the files annonymously, hosting the files using a neutral account.

:oops: Sorry oakster
Captain e_i_pi

Postby yeti_c on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:11 pm

e_i_pi wrote:
oaktown wrote:

:oops: Sorry oakster

I doubt it's a problem - the fact that he's had to repeat it renforces it for the reader.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:05 pm

yeti_c wrote:I doubt it's a problem - the fact that he's had to repeat it renforces it for the reader.

Indeed - as people ask questions it points out what areas I need to go back and clarify. I've already added a note about whether or not a quenched XML writer is a amateur or not.
Captain oaktown

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:32 pm

Is there a preference on whether we submit a large or small version?
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:50 pm

could you show us the "middle earth" map?
It'd make this a ton easier for me. attacking lines are really annoying for me to convert back into regular territories.

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:58 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:Is there a preference on whether we submit a large or small version?

I imagine either would be fine, but if in doubt, go for the small first.

wcaclimbing wrote:could you show us the "middle earth" map?
It'd make this a ton easier for me. attacking lines are really annoying for me to convert back into regular territories.

The links in the Map Development thread no longer work... the only thing I can suggest is to ask a couple of people who put videos together for the 100 maps celebration to see if any of them have a copy saved somewhere?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:10 pm

I found a miniature version at: http://www.boardgamebeast.com/online-board-game-risk.html
Thank you google.

Postby bryguy on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:15 pm

I think the idea was that without really a background or anything, you could form the image around the current centrescape map.
Corporal bryguy

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:17 pm

bryguy wrote:I think the idea was that without really a background or anything, you could form the image around the current centrescape map.

my problem was more with translating the attack lines into territory borders. borders are much easier for me to work with.

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Hey Oaktown, you wanna post the PSD? :P ;) :D
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Next

Return to Competitions