Conquer Club

Holiday Mapmaking Competitions!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Re: Holiday Mapmaking Competitions!

Postby ZeakCytho on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:Hey Oaktown, you wanna post the PSD? :P ;) :D

After I spent half an hour tracing borders? I hope not! :evil:
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:09 pm

Hmm, to put everybody on an even playing field I think I shouldn't... some folks may not be working in photoshop.
Captain oaktown

Postby e_i_pi on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:18 pm

oaktown wrote:

Hmm, to put everybody on an even playing field I think I shouldn't... some folks may not be working in photoshop.

I think this is a good decision. I work in Photoshop, and while a PSD file might be handy, it also circumvents some of the process, and so could give an unfair advantage. I'm sure everyone will be able to come up with something in the time though, and I look forward to seeing what everyone else creates
Captain e_i_pi

Postby samuelc812 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:36 am

ZeakCytho wrote:

I don't think you can participate in Central America as you already have a quenched map ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:18 am

samuelc812 wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

I don't think you can participate in Central America as you already have a quenched map ;)

Not sure Zeak counts - as he's not made GFX before...

As much as I would call that I could possibly enter both - I've never done GFX before - but have multiple quenched maps!?

(Not that I'm going to - as my GFX Sucks - although I might be able to come up with a theme for Centrescape)

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby RjBeals on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:19 am

wcaclimbing wrote:I found a miniature version at: http://www.boardgamebeast.com/online-board-game-risk.html
Thank you google.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/ ... 1227273312

There's the risk version of this map. Our old map looked similar, but different enough imo. But alas.. the big boys thought differently. Anyway - you can maybe draw inspiration from the "feel" of this map anyway. Obviously too much detail for our computer screen resolutions, but nevertheless, a sweet map!
Private RjBeals

Postby e_i_pi on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 am

Q: Should we send our images in large or small format?
Captain e_i_pi

Postby bryguy on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:03 am

MrBenn wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:Is there a preference on whether we submit a large or small version?

I imagine either would be fine, but if in doubt, go for the small first.
Corporal bryguy

Postby oaktown on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:29 am

e_i_pi wrote:Q: Should we send our images in large or small format?

Some prefer to work in small since you avoid the hassle of going back in and trying to make everything fit when you scale down, but as this is a competition you my achieve greater visual impact with the large. Your call.
Captain oaktown

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:16 am

samuelc812 wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:

What Yeti said - I PMed Oaktown before starting - since I've never done graphics before, I'm an amateur still.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Good luck everyone! I'm excited to see these competitions underway. We've just linked a Headline on the Homepage, so hopefully we'll draw in a few people. ;)

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby edbeard on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 pm

unfortunately in these competitions, doing the small has no benefit. other people's maps will look better because they are large and any possible complications from downsizing the map will be ignored.

I personally find it quite silly that everyone is not forced to make the small version since this is what we're told the majority of the people on CC use.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Ditocoaf on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:08 pm

edbeard wrote:unfortunately in these competitions, doing the small has no benefit. other people's maps will look better because they are large and any possible complications from downsizing the map will be ignored.

I personally find it quite silly that everyone is not forced to make the small version since this is what we're told the majority of the people on CC use.

Really? I hate the small versions. I prefer the clarity of using a full-sized map, and always considered the small maps to be scaled-down thumbnail versions for people with tiny screens. Saved screen space in exchange for loss of detail and aesthetics.

>----------āœŖ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! āœŖ----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby Sir. Ricco on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Good Luck everybody!
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:32 pm

edbeard wrote:unfortunately in these competitions, doing the small has no benefit. other people's maps will look better because they are large and any possible complications from downsizing the map will be ignored.

I totally agree with this - I would love to see everyone have to make the small map, but unless it is a requirement, then you would be disadvantaging yourself by doing so.

I always use the small maps (yes, even for my 100s of games on Waterloo, supermax etc etc)... as I find most of the large maps too spread out to easily gauge different player's drop density (where they are positioned most etc)...
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby yeti_c on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:41 pm

Ditocoaf wrote:

Really? I hate the small versions. I prefer the clarity of using a full-sized map, and always considered the small maps to be scaled-down thumbnail versions for people with tiny screens. Saved screen space in exchange for loss of detail and aesthetics.

I believe the last time we had the stats shared - only 10% of users had the Large map set as default...

Of course that doesn't count the people that don't have it set to default and select it each time!!

But I can't imagine that is 40% of people?!

Note - this is a similar reason as to why we aren't allowed to use larger maps etc.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:14 pm

I'll put my money on RJ winning another revamp competition...

that is, if he decides to submit a map.
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby oaktown on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Speaking as a mapmaker and not as CA, can I mention that the connectivity is whack on the Centrescape/Middle Earth map? So many impassable barriers - mountains, rivers, ocean - it's a bitch to make it fit over anything else!
Captain oaktown

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:20 pm

oaktown wrote:Speaking as a mapmaker and not as CA, can I mention that the connectivity is whack on the Centrescape/Middle Earth map? So many impassable barriers - mountains, rivers, ocean - it's a bitch to make it fit over anything else!

Yep... I'm encountering that problem right now....
This will be interesting...
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby RjBeals on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:46 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:I'll put my money on RJ winning another revamp competition...

that is, if he decides to submit a map.

:?: :mrgreen:
Private RjBeals

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:18 am

oaktown wrote:Speaking as a mapmaker and not as CA, can I mention that the connectivity is whack on the Centrescape/Middle Earth map? So many impassable barriers - mountains, rivers, ocean - it's a bitch to make it fit over anything else!

I agree with Oaktown on this one... I just cannot get the layout to fit onto my basemap on the idea I've tried to pull off...

Back to the drawing board...

PS... If you wanted to help advertise the foundry competitions, please free to sport the Competition Signature:
Code: Select all
[url=http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=70130][img]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/bpawley/cc/ChristmasCompBanner.png[/img][/url]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:45 am

MrBenn wrote:Back to the drawing board...

Yep, I've already scrapped one idea, and I'm trying to force idea #2 to work. How damned annoying is the gap between G3, G4, G5, and G6?

Having never actually played the original map, I'm beginning to wonder if this is all worth it! :D
Captain oaktown

Postby e_i_pi on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:59 am

Same, though I'm on the other map. I started one rendition of Central America, had space issues when it came to certain provinces, and have started again from scratch - this is after tracing out all the borders lol. Thankfully though, the title and army circles don't have to be re-done hehehe. I'm loving the time critical nature of this comp :D
Captain e_i_pi

Postby oaktown on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:29 pm

e_i_pi wrote:Same, though I'm on the other map. I started one rendition of Central America, had space issues when it came to certain provinces, and have started again from scratch - this is after tracing out all the borders lol. Thankfully though, the title and army circles don't have to be re-done hehehe. I'm loving the time critical nature of this comp :D

I think it would be fair to fudge the borders a bit in Central America in order to make things fit, much as was done with the Brazil competition. The key is keeping the gameplay the same, so if a territory isn't the exact shape as the original yet still has all of the same bordering territories I doubt anybody will notice.
Captain oaktown

Postby e_i_pi on Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:34 pm

oaktown wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:Same, though I'm on the other map. I started one rendition of Central America, had space issues when it came to certain provinces, and have started again from scratch - this is after tracing out all the borders lol. Thankfully though, the title and army circles don't have to be re-done hehehe. I'm loving the time critical nature of this comp :D

I think it would be fair to fudge the borders a bit in Central America in order to make things fit, much as was done with the Brazil competition. The key is keeping the gameplay the same, so if a territory isn't the exact shape as the original yet still has all of the same bordering territories I doubt anybody will notice.

With all due respect oaktown, I'd like to keep the real world borders and regional boundaries as is ;) I'm a bit surprised about the sea routes though, and the omission of Archipelago de las Perlas and Isla de Coiba (the islands south of Panama). I want to include them on my map, but I don't want to confuse people who may think they are territories
Captain e_i_pi

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions